COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

I am much more effective, with a hell of a lot less stress and work on my part, in the classroom compared to virtual. I tell stories and start discussions. The Socratic method is my go to teaching style. It does not translate well. 

The first principal I worked with was an ex infantryman. Whenever there was an issue that some people wanted changed his line was "is this a hill you want to die on?" He meant it as a metaphor, now it's real. 

It seems my choice will be either remain a coach and be in the classroom or request a virtual teaching assignment and retire from coaching. 

Is it a hill I want to die on?

42 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I am much more effective, with a hell of a lot less stress and work on my part, in the classroom compared to virtual. I tell stories and start discussions. The Socratic method is my go to teaching style. It does not translate well. 

The first principal I worked with was an ex infantryman. Whenever there was an issue that some people wanted changed his line was "is this a hill you want to die on?" He meant it as a metaphor, now it's real. 

It seems my choice will be either remain a coach and be in the classroom or request a virtual teaching assignment and retire from coaching. 

Is it a hill I want to die on?

You can’t take a one year or semester leave from coaching?  Position lost permanently?   Guess it depends on how aggressive other candidates are about the position, and financial/safety issues as well.

Also, what’s the current plan for HS football in Texas?   Unlikely to play this fall...?

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The record for weekly claims prior to this spring was a few hundred thousand at the depths of the great recession.

The good news? Extra pressure on the Senate GOP today to get a bigger unemployment package together.

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The good news? Extra pressure on the Senate GOP today to get a bigger unemployment package together.

We also have the countdown to extra $600 payments ending on July 31st (next FRI) and then numerous rent and mortgage collection amnesty periods expiring simultaneously.

A local grocery company took out a full page in the newspaper telling the public that masks are required for any customer to go into any of its stores. In addition, like many other retailers, the grocer installed plastic shields by cashiers. They also made all the aisles in their stores as "one way" to help avoid congestion. The grocer also informed the public that certain items will probably be available during the pandemic and there will be limits on buying that will prevent hoarding.

In short, the grocer did this: it did what it could  to protect customers and employees. It communicated to the public through the media in a tactful manner. The company had come up with a plan to respond to the situation and was decisive. Maybe the powers-that-be in Washington can learn from this. And maybe the country as a whole will stop the denial routine and realize life is going to be different for a time.

14 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

A local grocery company took out a full page in the newspaper telling the public that masks are required for any customer to go into any of its stores. In addition, like many other retailers, the grocer installed plastic shields by cashiers. They also made all the aisles in their stores as "one way" to help avoid congestion. The grocer also informed the public that certain items will probably be available during the pandemic and there will be limits on buying that will prevent hoarding.

In short, the grocer did this: it did what it could  to protect customers and employees. It communicated to the public through the media in a tactful manner. The company had come up with a plan to respond to the situation and was decisive. Maybe the powers-that-be in Washington can learn from this. And maybe the country as a whole will stop the denial routine and realize life is going to be different for a time.

Our local grocery stores have all been doing this for months...

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

You can’t take a one year or semester leave from coaching?  Position lost permanently?   Guess it depends on how aggressive other candidates are about the position, and financial/safety issues as well.

Also, what’s the current plan for HS football in Texas?   Unlikely to play this fall...?

5A and 6A are delayed with the state finals in January. 1A through 4A are starting close to normal. The idea is the larger schools are in urban areas with greater rates of infection. Small schools are more rural and less likely to see outbreaks. Volleyball and Cross Country were similarly affected.

Once I relinquish my position it is highly unlikely I would get it back. We're a top program and it's a destination position not a steppingstone. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I hope so. Probably the best case would be market tanking though. 

45 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I am glad to hear it.  Things like this need to be done. Many other places haven't done it.

I believe Winn-Dixie went the opposite way and declared no masks. 

I have been pretty just at a loss for words at state and local leaders, even ones who have taken the threat seriously from the start, how they continue to make such a big spectacle about outdoor gatherings and activity and whose communications are more about personal guidance in situations than which situations are safe.

Illinois' 3 Ws they keep pushing give the appearance that doing those three things can make you safer in any situation they have deemed legal.

But Japans 3 Cs actually did a better job of letting people know which types of situations are safe. Being in a crowd outside with masks on is better than being 6 ft apart in a restaurant without masks. It just is. Even if you washed your hands.

That the friggin lakefront trail was the last thing to open up after restaurants is insanity.

I think it gets to the damage of those wide lens shots. The outside shots of a lot of people look more intimidating than a full restaurant, but one is way worse than another!

Everyone should wear a mask at this point and wash hands. But the third component is helping people reduce their exposure to risky environments with your public communications, not just trying to teach them how to behave the best in the riskiest environment.

Anyway at this point I know the hardest part for local politicians is shutting down restaurants now...you know no fed support is coming. It's just bankrupting them. And there is no "when it gets under control" for restaurants. You are not possible to be open in 2020 except for takeout/outdoor/drivethru. Who is willing to admit that and compensate them for this? It will not happen. State govts cannot fiscally support that, the Fed govt can.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Anyway at this point I know the hardest part for local politicians is shutting down restaurants now...you know no fed support is coming. It's just bankrupting them. And there is no "when it gets under control" for restaurants. You are not possible to be open in 2020 except for takeout/outdoor/drivethru. Who is willing to admit that and compensate them for this? It will not happen. State govts cannot fiscally support that, the Fed govt can.

Totally agree. This is the real issue for state and local governments and why I think Illinois moved to Phase 4 even without contact tracing fully in place.  If businesses can't count on government funds to keep them afloat while keeping their doors shut you are doing a ton of long term damage if you make businesses continue to close their doors with no revenue coming in.  Just an incredibly awful choice to make. 

19 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Totally agree. This is the real issue for state and local governments and why I think Illinois moved to Phase 4 even without contact tracing fully in place.  If businesses can't count on government funds to keep them afloat while keeping their doors shut you are doing a ton of long term damage if you make businesses continue to close their doors with no revenue coming in.  Just an incredibly awful choice to make. 

A lot of our restaurants have big glass shields that go high up like a hockey rink.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Same with HyVee.

It shouldn't be up to individual businesses, though. It should be at a minimum a state-level mandate, ideally a federal one.

Employee-Owned.   State that gave Trump a 9% margin, although only 1.5% right now.

So where will the money making opportunities be when we're fully reopened? Start a restaurant because half closed during the pandemic? "Home" needs businesses because folks like the change? Short Amazon?

On 7/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, raBBit said:

From what I've read, Moderna has nowhere near the production capacity for this scale. Seems like if they had a breakthrough they'd have to be partnered with another company but there does seem to be some support from the Administration with Moderna through Kushner.  Past that, their recent data release from last week was based off results of n=40 or 45.

I like AstraZeneca as the leader. 

Moderna would have to team up with a producer, but Pfizer or Lonza would kill for that contract I bet