COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

"I can't help but wonder if by keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, if I might have put some... of the virus on the mask and breathed it in," Gohmert told Texas affiliate KETK on Wednesday. When masks are worn incorrectly, it can lead to exposure, health officials say.

Gohmert noted that despite his earlier comments, "in the last week or two, I have worn a mask more than I have in the whole last four months." He's also not changed his views on mask-wearing, saying "this used to be a free country." 

The CDC advises people wear cloth face coverings in public settings and when around people who don't live in your household, especially when other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain.

Many of the counties in Gohmert's East Texas district are not enforcing the state's mask mandate, KETK reports.

Gohmert is one of multiple members of Congress flouting the mask requirements put in place on Capitol Hill to keep members, their staff and employees of the complex safe.

www.cnn.com

On 7/27/2020 at 5:06 PM, StrangeSox said:

The state with the lowest percentage of people facing eviction is at 22%

This is about to get real fucking bad.

Like Durbin said today on Meet the Press - how do you tell people to shelter in place when there's no shelter?

5 hours ago, Quin said:

Like Durbin said today on Meet the Press - how do you tell people to shelter in place when there's no shelter?

The GOP thinks they can starve people into going to jobs that don't exist. 

7 hours ago, Quin said:

Another week, another 1,400,000 new unemployment claims.

Democratic leadership is saying they're open to reducing unemployment benefits so people are incentivized to get back to work (to jobs that don't exist in the middle of a raging pandemic). Parts of the GOP are already coming out hard in favor of austerity (read: mass suffering).

Unemployment benefit boosts end today. In most states, eviction moratoriums end as well. Meanwhile, the obscenely wealthy continue to greatly increase their wealth as tens of millions of Americans are plunged into desperate poverty and a pandemic still rages.

This is not a healthy society or economy. Something will give.

Edited by StrangeSox

All I can say is that Louie Gohmert is the biggest idiot in Congress. And that is saying something since there are so many. His state is being ravaged, and all he is doing is trying to spread the virus more. His idiocy otherwise leaves me speechless.

42 minutes ago, Quin said:

And now Herman Cain died.

It's impossible to know, but you have to wonder if he contracted it in Tulsa.

It is no doubt impossible to know, but it illustrates how misguided that rally in Tulsa was. 

43 minutes ago, Quin said:

And now Herman Cain died.

It's impossible to know, but you have to wonder if he contracted it in Tulsa.

It's not impossible to know.   That's exactly where he got it and everyone knows it

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

All I can say is that Louie Gohmert is the biggest idiot in Congress. And that is saying something since there are so many. His state is being ravaged, and all he is doing is trying to spread the virus more. His idiocy otherwise leaves me speechless.

The craziest thing is the only reason he got tested was because he was going to be traveling with Trump. He would have been waltzing around DC with Covid and no mask.

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

This is Durbin's opponent for this November.

50 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's not impossible to know.   That's exactly where he got it and everyone knows it

My point being he could have gotten it on his way there with how damn reckless he was being. Who knows, he may have infected people at the rally because he was hamming up the fact that masks are pointless.

You are, however, most likely correct.

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

My point being he could have gotten it on his way there with how damn reckless he was being. Who knows, he may have infected people at the rally because he was hamming up the fact that masks are pointless.

You are, however, most likely correct.

CNN reported it though. Everybody knows.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

Even though there are some serious issues with Pritzker's decisions wrt Covid lately, I'm very glad I don't live in any of the other states that Illinois borders

It's going to take a long, long time for this country to recover from this.

Edited by StrangeSox

3 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Another week, another 1,400,000 new unemployment claims.

Democratic leadership is saying they're open to reducing unemployment benefits so people are incentivized to get back to work (to jobs that don't exist in the middle of a raging pandemic). Parts of the GOP are already coming out hard in favor of austerity (read: mass suffering).

Unemployment benefit boosts end today. In most states, eviction moratoriums end as well. Meanwhile, the obscenely wealthy continue to greatly increase their wealth as tens of millions of Americans are plunged into desperate poverty and a pandemic still rages.

This is not a healthy society or economy. Something will give.

A big part of my political beliefs is that the extent that the government and central banks contort themselves to have an ever inflating economy is not healthy, but I'm not quite sure how a deflating economy (thus causing the rich people pictured in the tweet to lose "money") is a benefit to much of anybody.

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

This is Durbin's opponent for this November.

Mama Boucher : You gonna lose all your fancy "fools' balls" games! And your gonna fail your big exam! Because school is...

Bobby Boucher : The devil?

[Mama gasps] 

Bobby Boucher : Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good!

Bobby Boucher : [Bobby runs out, slamming the door, then comes back in] And by the way, Mama. "Alligators" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

Bobby Boucher : [Bobby runs back out, then back in again]  And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them too!

[slams door on Mama] 

• Haha 1

In contrast, the Harvard group says that “at the red level, jurisdictions have reached a tipping point for uncontrolled spread and will require the use of stay-at-home orders and/or advisories to mitigate the disease.”

Right now, that would mean 13 of the Trump task force’s 21 red-zone states returning to lockdown: Florida (with a staggering 48.1 new daily cases per 100,000 people), Louisiana (46.2), Mississippi (43.5), Alabama (39.1), Arizona (36.6), Tennessee (34.1), Georgia (33.8), Nevada (33.0), South Carolina (30.1), Texas (27.9), Idaho (27.5), Arkansas (26.4) and Oklahoma (25.6).

The other eight task force red-zone states — California (23.5), Missouri (22.0), North Dakota (18.2), North Carolina (18.1), Utah (17.9), Iowa (16.3), Wisconsin (15.7) and Kansas (14.2) — would fall into Harvard’s orange zone.

So do an additional 14 states, including several — such as New Mexico (15.6), Nebraska (15.1) and Maryland (14.6) — that seem to be getting worse fast.

In the orange zone, Harvard says, “community spread has accelerated” to “dangerous levels” and “stay-at-home orders are advised” (unless “viral testing and contact tracing capacity” are sufficiently robust).

If implemented, the Harvard framework wouldn’t necessarily force entire states to stay at home. In fact, the group has produced a county-by-county COVID-19 risk map and argues that “policy decisions about which strategies of disease response are best for a jurisdiction should be made by looking at both the local level and the state picture and considering the dynamic relationship between them.”

In Ohio, for instance, that might mean issuing a stay-at-home order in Mercer County (33.7 new daily cases per 100,000), but not across the state as a whole (11.0).

In on-the-cusp California (23.5), it might mean holding off statewide but requiring residents of orange-zone Los Angeles County (24.2) to stay at home because they are surrounded by four red-zone counties: Kern (91.6), Riverside (30.1), San Bernardino (33.0) and Ventura (27.7).

Nationwide, however, it would mean putting targeted lockdowns back on the table, followed by dramatically expanded testing and tracing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/these-are-the-13-states-that-need-to-lock-down-now-according-to-harvard-coronavirus-experts-162201179.html

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

CNN reported it though. Everybody knows.

You can't report "here is where a person got it" because you can't officially know that. It's a very likely spot but CNN reporting it doesn't mean that they had some sort of camera on the facility tracking every virus particle moving through the air to monitor which spot got a high enough dose to infect someone.

• Thanks 1

Maybe it is literally "they're lower to the floor and so the virus has to take more time to go upwards and that's why they infect people less". We're running out of hypotheses for why they transmit less based on various tests. Combine that with lower lung requirements maybe?

3 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Even though there are some serious issues with Pritzker's decisions wrt Covid lately, I'm very glad I don't live in any of the other states that Illinois borders

It's going to take a long, long time for this country to recover from this.

A poll came out today saying Reynolds had the lowest approval rating (28%) on the coronavirus of any governor.

What the 15 biggest US school districts are planning for reopening

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/us/schools-reopening-district-plans/index.html

Hillsborough County, Florida, the eighth-biggest district in the country, will announce its decision August 3. Its school board previously rejected a plan for virtual learning for the first nine weeks of school.