COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Which is highly ironic now, because 85% of the problems are in the "red" states, and most of them will now struggle mightily to reopen schools and allow parents to go back to work.

Basically, about 25% of the US economy is never coming back, and that's fine for the stock market (tech companies and pharmaceuticals), but it's the death of the American consumer as driver of the world consumption trends.

3 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

What boggles my mind is why Jared is making any decisions regarding the largest crisis to face the country in its history. What doesn't boggle my mind is the total lack of compassion and empathy. 

Because his father paid $2.5 million (used to be called a "donation") to gain a favorable admission status for Harvard, and he's been in that elite, rarefied air ever since, which basically causes him to feel entitled to everything that happens in his life.    This "deal with the devil" was finalized when he married Ivanka and became a yuppified polo-playing Stepford Husband.

Middle East Peace brokering?   Moving Embassy to Tel Aviv?   Saudi Arabia?    Re-inventing government?   PPE procurement?    Vaccine development?   Running a presidential campaign?    Sure, why not?    Run a newspaper into the ground?     Try to push residents out of low-income housing in order to gentrify neighborhoods?    Promise resident visas to Chinese who invest in his NYC/NJ properties?    SuRE!!!!

The problem is there's nothing he can do exceptionally well.   It's just that he hasn't faced a reckoning, and won't until the morning of November 4th, 2020.

• Like 1

From my superintendent to the state of Texas which threatened to without school funding for schools who are teaching remotely for an extended period of time. 

"What I’m essentially saying to the State of Texas is, You can talk about 8 weeks all you want. We’re going to do a phased in plan that’s going to be based on public health metrics, period. And if you choose not to fund us, then we’ll see you in court," said Dr. Woods during a podcast interview.

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/education/tea-guidance-about-school-funding-prompt-nisd-to-consider-legal-action

He went on in interviews to discuss the health and safety of students and teachers and learning outcomes. 

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

From my superintendent to the state of Texas which threatened to without school funding for schools who are teaching remotely for an extended period of time. 

"What I’m essentially saying to the State of Texas is, You can talk about 8 weeks all you want. We’re going to do a phased in plan that’s going to be based on public health metrics, period. And if you choose not to fund us, then we’ll see you in court," said Dr. Woods during a podcast interview.

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/education/tea-guidance-about-school-funding-prompt-nisd-to-consider-legal-action

He went on in interviews to discuss the health and safety of students and teachers and learning outcomes. 

Remember the Alamo!!!

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

I think the locals are getting fed up with the state.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Because his father paid $2.5 million (used to be called a "donation") to gain a favorable admission status for Harvard, and he's been in that elite, rarefied air ever since, which basically causes him to feel entitled to everything that happens in his life.    This "deal with the devil" was finalized when he married Ivanka and became a yuppified polo-playing Stepford Husband.

Middle East Peace brokering?   Moving Embassy to Tel Aviv?   Saudi Arabia?    Re-inventing government?   PPE procurement?    Vaccine development?   Running a presidential campaign?    Sure, why not?    Run a newspaper into the ground?     Try to push residents out of low-income housing in order to gentrify neighborhoods?    Promise resident visas to Chinese who invest in his NYC/NJ properties?    SuRE!!!!

The problem is there's nothing he can do exceptionally well.   It's just that he hasn't faced a reckoning, and won't until the morning of November 4th, 2020.

I can't argue with any of this. But, as John Oliver has asked, why hasn't anyone punched Jared is his self-entitled face?

The best research I've seen is that study from SK. They found that kids 10-18 spread it at least as well as adults in household settings. Children 0-9 spread it about 25% as well, but their sample size of those children was pretty small. And this was again focused on household spread, as the study was conducted while schools were closed.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/health/coronavirus-children-schools.html

Hopefully that holds, and elementary schools and daycares won't be the infection bombs that junior highs and high schools will be. But it's looking more and more like school reopening is gonna go about as well as MLB's season.

Edited by StrangeSox

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

That's a lot positive. How many died?

Even if all the kids and counselors fully healed with no issues - the question is bigger than that - how many did those 260 who were infected go on to infect, cause the deaths of those individuals count too.  And it is beyond deaths - the more this happens the more we just drag out this entire massive slowdown in the economy.  Oh and how many of those people infected also end up with longer term health conditions - that are not just a drag on that individual but drive up overall health costs, etc.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

That's a lot positive. How many died?

How many will have lifetime or shorter term life-altering complications...?

Watch what all the politicians and media personalities do.   None of their kids are going to be crowded together in underfunded, unprepared public schools.

We’re about to cancel a baseball season out of safety concerns for 900 mostly 1%ers and above...because nobody can follow the rules.

Why should K-12 students in outbreak areas be treated any differently?   Somehow we expect middle school students to be more responsible than at any time since World War Two and the Great Depression?  Why would it be reasonable to conclude that THEY can handle that immense responsibility when their parents and political leaders and scientists cannot agree on 2-3 common rules to follow in order to control the spread? 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many will have lifetime or shorter term life-altering complications...?

Watch what all the politicians and media personalities do.   None of their kids are going to be crowded together in underfunded, unprepared public schools.

Doesn't the US spend more per student, than just about any other country?  Not saying it is spent well or efficiently, but I seem to recall the US is top 5 or so in $/capita on school funding.

By the way... sorry, not trying to be argumentative or anything, just asking if anyone knows off hand.

Ok looked it up myself.  Similar stuff from a couple sources.  The US spends a ton on education, it seems.  If anyone has anymore insight, I'm still curious.  Thanks! 

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

Edited by turnin' two

Because we use property taxes to fund schools the answer isn't as clear. We fund schools in wealthier locales very well. Often best in the world. We spend well below most first world countries in our poorest communities. This makes an average misleading. This disparity can also be seen on a state by state basis.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Because we use property taxes to fund schools the answer isn't as clear. We fund schools in wealthier locales very well. Often best in the world. We spend well below most first world countries in our poorest communities. This makes an average misleading. This disparity can also be seen on a state by state basis.

Good points.  I was missing that.  Thanks.

To tie this back into the thread topic, which schools will have the resources to offer Covid protection for their students? Which schools are most likely to have students who are at risk academically and economically and need to be in school? 

What we will have starting next month are wealthier schools with students distance learning on the latest computers and with moms and dads at home to supervise. Those teachers will have access to the technology to do amazing things.

We'll also have poorer schools with kids in the building and struggling to buy enough masks, hand sanitizer, etc. Teachers in those schools will have older technology or what they can afford. Many teachers will fund masks and sanitizer out of their paychecks.

Then folks will look at the outbreaks of Covid and the learning outcomes and believe these families didn't take the proper precautions, aren't smart enough, or some others blame for the poor schools. 

Edited by Texsox

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

To tie this back into the thread topic, which schools will have the resources to offer Covid protection for their students? Which schools are most likely to have students who are at risk academically and economically and need to be in school? 

What we will have starting next month are wealthier schools with students distance learning on the latest computers and with moms and dads at home to supervise. Those teachers will have access to the technology to do amazing things.

We'll also have poorer schools with kids in the building and struggling to buy enough masks, hand sanitizer, etc. Teachers in those schools will have older technology or what they can afford. Many teachers will fund masks and sanitizer out of their paychecks.

Then folks will look at the outbreaks of Covid and the learning outcomes and believe these families didn't take the proper precautions, aren't smart enough, or some others blame for the poor schools. 

Families of poorer/low income students are also a lot less likely to be able to work from home, and if they can’t they’re far more likely to send their kids to school even though they have a minor fever. Or go to work themselves with one.

• Like 1

There are too many good quotes to pull in this. I highly, highly recommend reading. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/why-arent-we-talking-more-about-airborne-transmission/614737/

Zeynep was one of the first people to call out the urgent idiocy of the US officials stance against masks, and now we are in the slow playing to acknowledge how bad indoors are due to aerosols.

We keep learning more about this virus but we dint update anything on that info.

• Like 1

As the new school year began for some schools this week, 60 of the 101 largest US school districts had plans to start the year entirely online, while others were offering in-person classes part or full time.

source:  cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12