COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

For what it's worth, my girlfriend works at a private (Catholic) school on the south side, and their plan has also been a clusterf***. They are back in person except for those students which opt into remote learning (few in the working class), and the teachers are responsible for both.

Edited by gatnom

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/21/politics/donald-trump-law-enforcement-election-polls-fact-check/index.html

If history is any indication, Trump could run into some legal issues on this. Any conduct that intimidates voters is prohibited by federal law and several states expressly forbid law enforcement presence at the polls. Per a Department of Defense directive, DoD and National Guard personnel must also refrain from conducting "operations" at polling places. Furthermore, the President does not have the authority to send local sheriffs anywhere and sending armed federal law enforcement to the polls could result in violations of US criminal code.

Edited by caulfield12

On 8/20/2020 at 3:31 PM, bmags said:

Private schools do an excellent job of getting wealthier students that have more resources to accommodate a situation like this. If I was a head of public schools, I'd start running it like a business and start "cutting the fat" of students that need more resources than they put in. Don't have internet? Seeee yaaaa. No computer? Bye byeeee.

I just moved my son to a private school because this online stuff is nonsense.  He had actual class in person.  His largest class has 14 kids in it.  The smallest has 4.  So unless Gov Pritzkers kills the whole thing.  We can do in person education.  

On 8/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, gatnom said:

For what it's worth, my girlfriend works at a private (Catholic) school on the south side, and their plan has also been a clusterf***. They are back in person except for those students which opt into remote learning (few in the working class), and the teachers are responsible for both.

My wife is in the same situation. I'm at a public school and we are seemingly ahead of most private schools, but we'll see if we stay ahead. 

1 hour ago, Jerksticks said:

Agreed.  But by the end of the year or early next year is fine 

Assuming the Oxford studies get enough data and the data looks good, absolutely. They're on track to know their initial phase 3 results by January I think. Not sure about Moderna.

On the plasma stuff, FDA says this:

Not quite sure what it means, other maybe it is younger people catching it, and maybe that hospitals are getting better at treating it, and likely a combination of the two, but even with Illinois having a spike in cases there has not been a spike in fatalities.  2 weeks ago, there were over 2k new cases, and we've been over like 1500 for more than a month, but haven't had more than 30 deaths since July 8th.  

22 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

lol

much less funny though:

To me - fact that he was asymptomatic during the 2nd infection is huge.  If you can catch it again, isn't a surprise, the key to me is how the body responds on a 2nd or 3rd infection. If at that point it turns into the equivalent of a common cold - than long term that is a good thing, imo.  The bad part is - obviously, that it means this thing is going to be here a long time and obviously stresses the importance of a vaccine, which at the very least can help minimize the more serious effects of the virus.  

Note: I should make it very clear - none of this proves anything regarding what the effect of a re-infection as it is just one case and I think I've read other stories stating the opposite.  Lets hope we never get enough data because we either beat this thing to pulp or it just randomly dissapears (don't ask me how).  

On 8/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, southsideirish71 said:

I just moved my son to a private school because this online stuff is nonsense.  He had actual class in person.  His largest class has 14 kids in it.  The smallest has 4.  So unless Gov Pritzkers kills the whole thing.  We can do in person education.  

There are no easy answers right now, do whatever is best for your kids. I don't have a problem with parents trying to find a solution that can.

I'm just responding to the idea (that didn't come from you) that public schools aren't accountable to anyone which is why they closed, or why they struggled. They are accountable to every family and student in their district. They can't just make a policy that works for only 80% of them.

Some are doing terrible at this, some are doing well, but this is not easy especially when its compounded with zero additional resources to figure it out. The virus is the enemy here, not a bunch of districts being unsure how to best balance the health risks of their students, faculty, and community around them.

I think New York should absolutely be trying schools. They benefited from not doing indoor dining and it has stayed low. Illinois, while infections have been much higher than June, have not seen the hospitals get out of control. But they lost the ability to do schools with how they handled it, a big issue, in my opinion. I do think I could create a plan that would make me comfortable as a parent and includes in person, but I don't blame them for not figuring it out when the guidance they've received is "have less students" and "you figure it out".

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NWINFan said:

Any fast tracking the vaccine before the election is plainly irresponsible. It is really worse than that.

Nothing new offered just the plasma antibodies treatment for an RNC event. Studies have been showing short-term immunity for people with antibodies.

54 minutes ago, pcq said:

Nothing new offered just the plasma antibodies treatment for an RNC event. Studies have been showing short-term immunity for people with antibodies.

Not really, it’s a slight bit better than inconclusive but without the studies done correctly it’s also difficult to know if there have been reactions specifically associated with their use.

If this was being handled professionally or properly, the FDA made it clear last week they wouldn’t have approved it. If they were going to change their minds that abruptly then they should have had a press meeting including the people who had objected, by name, so that they could outline what their concerns are and perhaps why they had changed their mind. No politicians should have been involved in the announcement at all.

Legally politicians are not supposed to be able to pressure or overrule the FDA on matters like this, but as with many things the law is out the window right now since Congress won’t enforce it.