COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Welp RIP uiuc's plans, I guess. Is there any more arrogant group of professors than physicists?

edit: perfect encapsulation of physicists' reduction of reality to models

Economists, probably.

OT: love the Jorbs tweet. One of my favorite streamers.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/05/college-coronavirus-outbreaks-sick-kids-home-409262

Colleges’ dilemma:  Fight outbreak or send sick kids home?

As of Friday, at least 51,000 students have been infected and thousands more are quarantined, according to a survey from The New York Times. Public health experts fear the numbers could surge when the weather turns cold, forcing students to spend more time indoors where the virus can spread more easily .

Experts caution that mass testing of student populations needs to be done as part of a larger strategy with contact tracing and isolation in order to prevent outbreaks.

“Testing is very important, but it has important limitations,” said Tom Frieden, the former CDC director in the Obama administration. “It's only as useful as what gets done with the testing results.”

Some schools have hired their own contact tracers and isolated infected students in hotels. But that plan doesn't account for what happens afterward, said Tom Inglesby, director of Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Health Security.

“There isn’t a good strategy beyond that,” he said. “Unfortunately, that does mean people going home and bringing the virus with them.”

I am a French citizen teaching at an International Bilingual School in the U.S.A. (I’ll keep my identity and location confidential to not put my job in jeopardy.) I’m writing today because the overreaction  among a group of parents regarding students being required to wear face masks is something I never would have imagined from Americans. I’m disillusioned. Here’s a little background:

Last week we had what you call a “town hall.”  About 20% of the parents came without masks. They argued it’s their constitutional right to potentially infect the rest of us with the Covid virus. They didn’t say it quite like that, but that’s the takeaway. One parent said something about God protecting their child. The mask-wearing group tried to stress civic responsibility, children’s’ safety and respect. A few angry parents shouted them down. It was like they literally and figuratively removed their masks. It was ugly.

This degree of a sense of entitlement, lack of empathy and responsibility is something I haven’t seen before in America. I don’t understand why putting a piece of cloth over the mouth to help stop the spread of a deadly disease is too much to ask. You would think parents were being asked to sacrifice their first-born, which in the end they may be doing by denying them masks. The U.S. Constitution grants its citizens rights, but using those rights in a way that could cause the death of other citizens is inconsistent with what I know of America.

from internationalschoolsreview.com

response in same discussion thread:

Those who oppose masks refuse the science of community spread. I have an example or two that is not too publicized. The state of Alaska refuses to mandate mask wearing, although some jurisdictions have enforced the practice due to emergency health conditions. In regions where masks occurs, the population is predominantly urbanized and the infection rates are low.. In regions where masking is not practiced nor required, the population is predominantly conservative and Anglo and poorer. Native villages have closed themselves off from the rest of the state because of the feat of the spread of COVID 19 into those areas. There are hotbeds of community transmission of COVID 19 in Alaska that are not publicized. The age groups that have the greatest number of cases are 10-40. There is no public outreach to stop the spread.None whatsoever.

My point here is that non mask wearing areas are the hotspots of the virus. Twenty two cases today, three cases a few days ago,two high school football teams, the University of Alaska Fairbanks hockey team – all of these are examples of people spreading the virus before being put into quarantine The case of the Sturgis South Dakota motorcycle rally is a great case in point about community spread and not wearing masks. I would argue that the school i question put themselves in legal jeopardy by not requiring non mask wearing parents to leave their facility during this meeting. May nature help anyone in that room who was had corona virus passed on to them.

I want everyone in society to show solidarity with the medical community and socially distance, cover coughs properly mask, and stay home when sick.

Edited by caulfield12

Face masks are a weird topic. I always wear mine. Seems to me everybody's got them on in my neck of the woods. But then I go on Facebook and see a friend's wedding and nobody's wearing a mask. Perhaps people are only wearing them where they must wear them to get served: stores and restrants.

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Face masks are a weird topic. I always wear mine. Seems to me everybody's got them on in my neck of the woods. But then I go on Facebook and see a friend's wedding and nobody's wearing a mask. Perhaps people are only wearing them where they must wear them to get served: stores and restrants.

It is a weird subject. People complain about their rights, but after 9/11 hardly anyone complained about W reading their e-mails. And no, God is not going to protect anyone. The mask has more of a chance to protect someone.

The irony with masks is that the people that place energizing the economy above all else are, more often than not, the same subset that resists doing the one thing that will help stop the virus and therefore open the economy.  

My grandpa's funeral was Saturday. My mom talked to the undertaker and he said that he gets offered $300 from hospitals to say the cause of death is COVID (hospitals receive $1,500 each case so they offer 20%). I would imagine this is going on everywhere.

Edited by soxfan2014

6 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

My grandpa's funeral was Saturday. My mom talked to the undertaker and he said that he gets offered $300 from hospitals to say the cause of death is COVID (hospitals receive $1,500 each case so they offer 20%). I would imagine this is going on everywhere.

I've never heard of any undertaker that is involved in determining the cause of death. That's usually the doctors and/or coroner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Well, sucks that your mom got lied to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

LOL and you believed that?

• Like 2

Just got a call from my mom. She just got out of surgery for an appendectomy and she's alive but George Soros offered her $500 to say she is dead from coronavirus, so we are having a funeral for her this saturday. Anyone else hearing of this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just got a call from my mom. She just got out of surgery for an appendectomy and she's alive but George Soros offered her $500 to say she is dead from coronavirus, so we are having a funeral for her this saturday. Anyone else hearing of this?

Tell them you are #TeamAntifa and get paid that money too.

3 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

I'll say it. Sorry for your loss. And sorry that people made a mockery of your statement. whether true or not, it still sucks that people reacted the way they did

• Like 3

9 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

So sad that almost everything in life is now political. I don't know why people are so fricking obsessed with politics. Yes we know Trump is a very rude rich guy who is a questionable person. So what. Wait four years and vote him out. Forget about politics for a minute and vote him out when it's time. Now it's Covid numbers for politics; it's painting BLM on numerous city streets while no other messages can be printed anywhere ... politics; it's politics politics politics. Sports are now all politics. Social messages on uniforms; BLM all over the arenas. Will they or won't they kneel during the anthem? Sorry for your loss and this ridiculous desire of Americans to say deaths are COVID just to make Trumpie look bad. Please get a grip America. Everything doesn't have to be politically driven, yet it is ... Again sorry you lost your grandpa.

Hope there comes a time everybody settles down and we can live in peace and be proud of our country.

Edited by greg775

This is where some of that rumor got started. I don't know where the $1500 number came from though.

As part of a federal stimulus bill, Medicare is paying hospitals 20% more than standard rates for COVID-19 patients.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/21/facebook-posts/Fact-check-Hospitals-COVID-19-payments/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/medicare-hospitals-covid-patients/

49 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

This is where people could use some sense.  

First off that is ONLY for Medicare patients.  No other insurance is paying more for COVID specifically.

The only reason medicare is paying more for COVID is because it costs more to treat a COVID patient.  I promise you that even with the extra money, hospitals are losing more money on these patients, as medicare WAY underpays market rates for treatments.

So Medicare pays the hospital to pay the undertaker to fudge the numbers to make trump look bad.   That's the conclusion, right?  Medicare is paying out to make Trump look bad.  

Thats what we are going with here.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is where people could use some sense.  

First off that is ONLY for Medicare patients.  No other insurance is paying more for COVID specifically.

The only reason medicare is paying more for COVID is because it costs more to treat a COVID patient.  I promise you that even with the extra money, hospitals are losing more money on these patients, as medicare WAY underpays market rates for treatments.

Also - it's patients not deaths. If they contracted covid they'd already get the extra money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

When Woodward spoke to Trump on February 7, two days after he was acquitted on impeachment charges by the Senate, Woodward expected a lengthy conversation about the trial. He was surprised, however, by the President's focus on the virus. At the same time that Trump and his public health officials were saying the virus was "low risk," Trump divulged to Woodward that the night before he'd spoken to Chinese President Xi Jinping about the virus. Woodward quotes Trump as saying, "We've got a little bit of an interesting setback with the virus going in China."

"It goes through the air," Trump said. "That's always tougher than the touch. You don't have to touch things. Right? But the air, you just breathe the air and that's how it's passed. And so that's a very tricky one. That's a very delicate one. It's also more deadly than even your strenuous flus."

But Trump spent most of the next month saying that the virus was "very much under control" and that cases in the US would "disappear." Trump said on his trip to India on February 25 that it was "a problem that's going to go away," and the next day he predicted the number of US cases "within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

By March 19, when Trump told Woodward he was purposely downplaying the dangers to avoid creating a panic, he also acknowledged the threat to young people. "Just today and yesterday, some startling facts came out. It's not just old, older. Young people too, plenty of young people," Trump said.

Publicly, however, Trump has continued to insist just the opposite, saying as recently as August 5 that children were "almost immune."

Even into April, when the US became the country with the most confirmed cases in the world, Trump's public statements contradicted his acknowledgements to Woodward. At an April 3 coronavirus task force briefing, Trump was still downplaying the virus and stating that it would go away. "I said it's going away and it is going away," he said. Yet two days later on April 5, Trump again told Woodward, "It's a horrible thing. It's unbelievable," and on April 13, he said, "It's so easily transmissible, you wouldn't even believe it."

Good Lord

edit: kinda wanna say "What the hell, Woodward??" for sitting on this tape for months as hundreds of thousands of Americans died and millions more became infected.

Edited by StrangeSox