COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

43 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

According to the conspiracies Walter Reed has dark wood paneling in most rooms. This is supported by pictures of the Presidential Suite.

Hard to believe anything right now because of all the misinformation. I have never been there myself, just posting that we are now living in a world where we really have no way of verifying the truth.

Interesting. I guess only time will tell. If he’s out early next week then we will know they were telling the truth.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Interesting. I guess only time will tell. If he’s out early next week then we will know they were telling the truth.

That really wont prove anything. We deserve updates from actual medical Doctors. The President works for the American people, we deserve to know if he is capable of handling his job right now.

This isnt political, this is how a Republic functions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

That really wont prove anything. We deserve updates from actual medical Doctors. The President works for the American people, we deserve to know if he is capable of handling his job right now.

I understand all that but don’t you think if he exits the hospital on Monday or Tuesday that the doctor’s reporting today was factual? It’s not like he’s been incapacitated for weeks.

52 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No. They aren't. 

Who should be punished? 

It's not about punishment. It's about getting a pandemic under control.

56 minutes ago, Texsox said:

People wearing masks, socially distancing, and washing their hands doesn't work? Then close everything. Why have anything open? 

We've tried letting things be open with "responsible" restrictions and relying on "personal responsibility." It's been a total failure, and we never got this thing under control. Hundreds of thousands dead. Millions sick. 30k+ on the hospital right now, including the President.

We should have many more things closed right now until cases are down to a manageable level. Confirmed cases from a single White House party last weekend are more than the entire country of Australia yesterday. The US is among the worst on the world at handling this.

Going to eat outdoors is lower risk than indoors, but indoors are still getting lots of traffic. And eating outdoors at a restaurant is still less safe than staying home. It's all about risk probabilities. You are engaging in higher risk activities, increasing the chance of spreading the deadly virus on the margins. But when millions of people are all adding a tiny fraction, it adds up to endemic spread and rolling waves of uncontrolled outbreaks across the country.

We're all punished by this. 

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I understand all that but don’t you think if he exits the hospital on Monday or Tuesday that the doctor’s reporting today was factual? It’s not like he’s been incapacitated for weeks.

No. He refused to answer if he was on oxygen, which he was. His timeline suggested something totally different, then he went back and changed it. Get someone from the hospital to speak, not someone who is catering to Trump.

I thought Trump doesn’t want to “panic” the country. All this misinformation does is panics the country. Mark Meadows contradicted the doctors comments moments after they were said. You cannot believe anything that doctor says.

Here's the thing. 

I'm on the Chinese version of Hawaii, 4-5 months after the most recent active symptoms of ANYONE in Wuhan...2+ hour flight away to the south at Sanya/Hainan.

Every single Chinese person under 40 is wearing a mask at the luxury shopping mall.  Everyone still wearing to enter.   Even in Wuhan, you still can't board a bus or subway or enter the best malls without mask.

Part of it's cultural, part of it is previous experience with SARs and the other aspect is government control.   While that wouldn't work in the US, nobody on the freedom/protection of business side has ever explained why the approaches in South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand were impossible to implement in the US. 

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Greg, I get that your preferred "news network" routinely transmits this form of racism in the bolded above. But it is impossibly fvkcing racist to blame a people for a virus; continuing this sort of shit-talk is as ignorant as some Muslims in the ME blaming others who eat pork for the swine flu. So two reccos for you:

1. Turn off the fvkcing "news network" you take in all fvkcing day long, & pick up a book.

2. Stop transmitting racism, because no race of people "created this virus." NATURE created this virus, and NATURE gives ZERO FVKCS about anyone's race/national origin.

Insofar as people "wanting Trump to die," I haven't seen that. (Apart from your preferred "news network" transmitting propaganda.) I've only seen people calling this wonderful Kharma/comeuppance for his ignorant response to this pandemic. 

Lastly, now might be a good time for you to go get a haircut before a re-lockdown, so we don't have to read your whining and b****ing all winter long.

Your racism charge is offensive to me. I am not blaming the Chinese people but the GOVERNMENT. Yes they are our enemy. Of course they are. Russia too. I have the right to question whether China would love to weaken the USA via a virus that has brought us to our knees since March.

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Your racism charge is offensive to me. I am not blaming the Chinese people but the GOVERNMENT. Yes they are our enemy. Of course they are. Russia too. I have the right to question whether China would love to weaken the USA via a virus that has brought us to our knees since March.

If someone in the US blamed Africans for weaponizing HIV/AIDs, Mexicans for trying to destroy the Obama admin. with the swine flu or claimed the US was responsible for all the drug and crime problems in US inner cities because of CIA collusion with Colombian and Sinaloan drug cartels...would we go along with it if we simply heard it on t.v.?

The planes can be used to send ballistic missile commands and are a key part of the US defence system in the event of a crisis - earning them their ominous nickname.

But officials were quick to dismiss any speculation that the two planes were a show of strength and a warning to enemies not try to take advantage of the political turmoil brought about by Mr Trump's illness.

“These flights were pre-planned missions. Any timing to the president’s announcement is purely coincidental,” a US Strategic Command (Stratcom) spokesman, which oversees America’s nuclear arsenal, told the Sunday Telegraph.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-seeks-dampen-speculation-doomsday-135852335.html

15 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

We've tried this approach. 200000+ dead and counting, no end in sight. It doesn't work.

What do you think should be done? Full lockdown? How would that work? Cops arresting everyone who isn’t a grocery store, fast food, or Door Dash worker? We were doing that back in March where cops were arresting paddleboarders for daring to be outside and it didn’t work and was also insanely unconstitutional. Not to mention society’s just too complex to shut down these days.

I think TexSox is right on the money about responsibility. Trump should have been stressing duty and responsibility from the get go (not surprised he didn’t though). If you don’t wear a mask in a store, you’re out. If you want to challenge that, the cops will come and haul you out.

Anyways, I’m super out of the loop. What is going on with Trump? They’re obfuscating his true condition, is that pretty much it?

The photos of Trump “working” in the hospital were definitely staged. For one thing he does wear reading glasses and there were non in sight. And the “document” he was signing was zoomed in on, and was a blank piece of paper. It is hard to imagine they wouldn’t think they would be so easily busted on this.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Yes, you are absolutely right. This isn't political. We have a right to know what's happening, and responsible people in the government ought to read the constitution and take a hard look at the 25th amendment. The problem is that the polarized atmosphere in Washington isn't helping matters any. Leaders in both parties should be meeting to see how to handle this crisis. We haven't had a candidate in this type of condition so close to a presidential election. So, how is it going to be handled? Staying in denial about things, like they have about the pandemic, won't help. Right now, I don't think Trump is physically able to handle his job. I don't listen to the glowing reports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dallas Kong said:

What do you think should be done? Full lockdown? How would that work? Cops arresting everyone who isn’t a grocery store, fast food, or Door Dash worker? We were doing that back in March where cops were arresting paddleboarders for daring to be outside and it didn’t work and was also insanely unconstitutional. Not to mention society’s just too complex to shut down these days.

I think TexSox is right on the money about responsibility. Trump should have been stressing duty and responsibility from the get go (not surprised he didn’t though). If you don’t wear a mask in a store, you’re out. If you want to challenge that, the cops will come and haul you out.

Anyways, I’m super out of the loop. What is going on with Trump? They’re obfuscating his true condition, is that pretty much it?

Now, the trend has become just to assume pretty much any abridgment of freedom (we prefer not to surrender)  is unconstitutional.

Incorrect.

Let’s not forget what President Lincoln did with writs of habeas corpus during the Civil War.

With over 205,000 dead and counting, it would be quite easy to argue these are the equivalent of wartime conditions in terms of preventable deaths suffered already with simple but effective policies already enacted by well over 125 countries to contain Covid-19, many of them third world/developing or least industrialized nations lacking in modern medical equipment or access to every therapeutic drug in the world.

A Compelling Governmental Purpose

Charles "Rocky" Rhodes, a professor at South Texas College of Law Houston, told Houston Matters host Craig Cohen that the First Amendment can sometimes be overcome in situations where there is what’s known in the judicial circles as a “compelling governmental purpose.”

“And this is the highest order — the apex — of things the government does, things like winning a war, or preventing an imminent attack, protecting children,” Rhodes said. “And, of course, another one of these is protecting the public health from a pandemic."

Pandemics Aren’t New — Just New To Us

While this global situation is new to most Americans, pandemics used to be much more commonplace. The last one was the Spanish Flu outbreak in 1918, which resulted in our Constitution being tested by local and state regulations. And throughout our nation’s history the court has issued multiple rulings that have established legal precedent when it comes to distancing and quarantine methods.

One such case was Jacobson v. Massachusetts in 1905. A man named Henning Jacobson wanted to refuse a smallpox vaccine and maintained he had the legal right to do so.

However, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the state, stating that “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members.”

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/shows/houston-matters/2020/04/10/366511/how-the-constitution-gets-tested-in-times-of-crisis-like-a-pandemic/

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Yes, you are absolutely right. This isn't political. We have a right to know what's happening, and responsible people in the government ought to read the constitution and take a hard look at the 25th amendment. The problem is that the polarized atmosphere in Washington isn't helping matters any. Leaders in both parties should be meeting to see how to handle this crisis. We haven't had a candidate in this type of condition so close to a presidential election. So, how is it going to be handled? Staying in denial about things, like they have about the pandemic, won't help. Right now, I don't think Trump is physically able to handle his job. I don't listen to the glowing reports.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/03/trump-covid-1918-flu-struck-woodrow-wilson-pandemic/3607579001/

Woodrow Wilson downplayed the 1918 flu pandemic. Then, he got violently sick.

If they were smart, they would invoke the 25th Amendment and let Pence go ahead and debate Kamala Harris this upcoming week as acting president...but Trump’s ego is simply too big to allow it.

Edited by caulfield12

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

(Checks Greg's post) Yep, no mention of the "Chinese Government," just "The Chinese." 

(Checks Greg's stooopud "news nerwork") Yep, no mention of the "Chinese Governmen5," just "The Chinese."

I guess pass out the dog whistles, and parse your words, cuz ya gotta blame someone who ain't 'Murican, right Greg?

Seriously, turn that moronic shyte off your fvkcing TV, and pick up a book. (EDIT, AND THIS IS REALLY FVKKING IMPORTANT: And not one of those stoopud fvkcing books thats advertised on your stoopud fvkcing "news network.")

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/03/trump-covid-1918-flu-struck-woodrow-wilson-pandemic/3607579001/

Woodrow Wilson downplayed the 1918 flu pandemic. Then, he got violently sick.

Yes, he did, and his wife was basically running things. We can't have a repeat of that in any way. Things have to be different now. Roosevelt hid things; Kennedy hid things. Those days have to be over. This is a wake-up call in so many ways. Time to learn from history.

2 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Yes, he did, and his wife was basically running things. We can't have a repeat of that in any way. Things have to be different now. Roosevelt hid things; Kennedy hid things. Those days have to be over. This is a wake-up call in so many ways. Time to learn from history.

Don’t forget much of Reagan’s second term, as well.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Or nature. But blaming nature for mutating a virus doesn't get the voters fired up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What's your plan when six months from now half the population is bankrupt?

That will definitely be the case two years from now if governors order states open (see Florida)...but where restaurants and bars and airlines and theatres and baseball teams are still only at 15-35% of capacity and previous profit levels because we are still in Stage 2/3/4/5 since we’ve never even successfully conquered the first wave.

It’s just going to be death by 1,000 cuts.   Only the massive restaurant franchises will survive.   It’s the exact same thing that will happen if the Supreme Court outlaws Obamacare and Covid-19 is not protected as a pre-existing condition any longer in the middle of the worst health care crisis in American history.  We will suffer millions of medical bankruptcies.  Taxes will continue to increase on the top 20% of Americans who can actually afford to pay them without going into debt themselves.  Social Security and Medicare will be slashed.

The top 1% will be fine, the 538 Senators and representatives will also be fine, and K Street lobbyists will never be in bigger demand.

Eventually, massive tech oligarchs and Wal-Mart will own pretty much everything in America, just like Potter in “It’s a Wonderful Life.”   There will be no Jimmy Stewart to save the remaining 99%.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What's your plan when six months from now half the population is bankrupt?

You could have written this in 2008-09.

Romney wanted to let all of Detroit go under.  Market forces.  Survival of the fittest.

In the end, Obama punished exactly nobody.

All those who lost their houses...who ended up benefitting greatly, besides Treasury Secretary Mnuchin?   They weren’t made whole, any more than truly small and medium sized business owners who are not politically connected are not going to be protected by either Dems or Republicans (because they don’t matter unless they can donate $100,000+ to a party or candidate or simple soft money contribution) this time around.  It’s going to end up as everyone having to act in their own best interests, it’s basic human instinct.

Edited by caulfield12