COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

22 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What's your plan when six months from now half the population is bankrupt?

It's weird how in county after country that had managed to get a handle on this, this didn't happen.

What's your plan when six months from now another hundred thousand are dead, millions more sick, the economy still in the dumpster and the virus still spreading largely unchecked? 

23 minutes ago, Texsox said:

That is why government has to step in with bailouts. The more everyone would be on board with a shutdown and wearing masks, the shorter the pandemic will last. It is really interesting how mask wearing goes. I live in the Gold Coast, and have frozen my gym membership until this passes, so I do a lot of walking and bike riding to get some exercise. Around me, most people wear masks. Go up to Armitage and the shopping area between Halsted and Racine, you wouldn’t know there is currently a pandemic. No one wears a mask. They hold them. That is a mile and a half apart. Go up to Lakeview, and it’s a mixed bag with most wearing them. It is really weird. Wearing a mask is easy. Everyone wants this to go away. Putting it on will make that happen a lot faster, but no. I don’t get it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is why government has to step in with bailouts. The more everyone would be on board with a shutdown and wearing masks, the shorter the pandemic will last. It is really interesting how mask wearing goes. I live in the Gold Coast, and have frozen my gym membership until this passes, so I do a lot of walking and bike riding to get some exercise. Around me, most people wear masks. Go up to Armitage and the shopping area between Halsted and Racine, you wouldn’t know there is currently a pandemic. No one wears a mask. They hold them. That is a mile and a half apart. Go up to Lakeview, and it’s a mixed bag with most wearing them. It is really weird. Wearing a mask is easy. Everyone wants this to go away. Putting it on will make that happen a lot faster, but no. I don’t get it.

Assuming the Dems win, we’re right back to Tea Party and austerity/Federal debt clock politics the next 2-4 years.

Without the Senate, any more trillion plus bailouts are pretty much dead in the water.  Joe Manchin and Doug Jones’ votes (Tuberville) will be blocking things unless the Dems run the table in all the closely contested seats.   ObamaCare barely passed, let’s not forget, and the appetite for more Federal bailouts will be almost completely curtailed since nearly everyone will have their hands out...

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The President is still hospitalized this morning.

His campaign is on the news mocking Joe Biden for wearing masks this morning

Imagine Biden was ill.

Trump and attack ads would be mocking him 24 hours per day.  Imagine Fox News and the Trump family’s Twitter glee.  Once again, imagine this was reversed and Biden had to pull out of a debate?  

It would be no different at all from the time when HRC came down four years ago with pneumonia and stumbled into the limo.  She was eviscerated by the GOP.

He‘s already accused Biden of diminished mental capacity, being heavily medicated, being fed speeches, using a mystery ear microphone during the debate...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It's weird how in county after country that had managed to get a handle on this, this didn't happen.

What's your plan when six months from now another hundred thousand are dead, millions more sick, the economy still in the dumpster and the virus still spreading largely unchecked? 

Those approaching retirement can now buy a type of “insurance” to guard against reduced Social Security benefits.

The product — a rider on an annuity — is the first of its kind, but some experts expect similar offerings to follow as worries over the future of the entitlement program grow due to the pandemic.

“The largest unaddressed fear is the Social Security reduction,” said David Duley, founder and CEO of PlanGap, which has received regulatory approval for the new product in 44 states.

The surplus in the fund that pays out Social Security benefits will be depleted by 2031 — a year earlier than previously forecast — largely due to mass layoffs during the pandemic, according to the Congressional Budget Office. After that, the fund could pay about three-quarters of benefits for retirees, a major hit to the largest source of retirement income for most Americans.

“People are in this stage of their lives where they’re 45 and 50 and are questioning what will happen if Social Security [cuts] take place,” Duley said.

https://www.yahoo.com/money/social-security-insurance-company-offers-product-to-protect-against-surplus-running-out-135159461.html

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Your racism charge is offensive to me. I am not blaming the Chinese people but the GOVERNMENT. Yes they are our enemy. Of course they are. Russia too. I have the right to question whether China would love to weaken the USA via a virus that has brought us to our knees since March.

When you post racist sentiment,  why would you be surprised that people call you on it? That might fly in Kansas, but you aren't in Kansas anymore on Soxtalk. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If someone in the US blamed Africans for weaponizing HIV/AIDs, Mexicans for trying to destroy the Obama admin. with the swine flu or claimed the US was responsible for all the drug and crime problems in US inner cities because of CIA collusion with Colombian and Sinaloan drug cartels...would we go along with it if we simply heard it on t.v.?

Little does this racist know that if you want hold people "accountable " you would know get to charge the President with endangerment and potentially manslaughter for every single person they exposed at their super spreader events.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The photos of Trump “working” in the hospital were definitely staged. For one thing he does wear reading glasses and there were non in sight. And the “document” he was signing was zoomed in on, and was a blank piece of paper. It is hard to imagine they wouldn’t think they would be so easily busted on this.

It is the Kim Jung Un playbook.

36 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

And the economy will still be in the toilet. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

When you post racist sentiment,  why would you be surprised that people call you on it? That might fly in Kansas, but you aren't in Kansas anymore on Soxtalk. 

I honestly don’t think he sees it as racist.   To him, China and Russia and I guess North Korea and Iran are our enemies, so why wouldn’t they be plotting to destroy the US, or manufacturing a virus and unleashing it on their own people first since their must be a secret antidote to keep the death numbers around 4,500.

For example, Russian or Ukrainian internet troll farms are still working to subvert the election (again).  But that’s far too nuanced for Fox News to get into WHY Russia and China desperately want Trump to remain as US president.

• Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

I honestly don’t think he sees it as racist.   To him, China and Russia and I guess North Korea and Iran are our enemies, so why wouldn’t they be plotting to destroy the US, or manufacturing a virus and unleashing it on their own people first since their must be a secret antidote to keep the death numbers around 4,500.

For example, Russian or Ukrainian internet troll farms are still working to subvert the election (again).  But that’s far too nuanced for Fox News to get into WHY Russia and China desperately want Trump to remain as US president.

Most racists are able to rationalize their racist behavior. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The President is still hospitalized this morning.

His campaign is on the news mocking Joe Biden for wearing masks this morning

Jason Miller kept dodging Chuck Todd’s questions on “Meet the Press,” encouraged what they should have encouraged months ago with wearing masks, washing hands and avoiding crowds and declined to offer an update on the president’s condition, aside from saying he is in good spirits. The doctors from Walter Reed and the president’s staff declined to take an interview. Talk about an administration not being transparent with voters especially with the mixed messaging.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Little does this racist know that if you want hold people "accountable " you would know get to charge the President with endangerment and potentially manslaughter for every single person they exposed at their super spreader events.

Exactly what the Chinese do.  Five to ten years in prison and massive fines for spitting or coughing on someone if you knowingly have the virus.

This was all the way back on January 28/29.

Coronavirus infected are trying to spread the disease by deliberately SPITTING at health care workers in Wuhan, claims South African teacher trapped in the city

Jessika Bailing, a teacher trapped Wuhan, made the shocking claims

She said she had heard of patients spitting at doctors to contaminate them

Ms Bailing, 23, said a viral video showed a patient spitting on elevator buttons

Coronavirus can be spread from person to person via a simple sneeze or cough    (something a certain Georgia governor wouldn’t realize until months and months later) 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7942647/Coronavirus-infected-trying-spread-disease-SPITTING-health-care-workers.html

Current finable offenses in Melbourne, AUST

8 p.m. curfew: $1,652 fine, repeat offenders can be fined up to $10,000

Mandatory mask-wearing: $200 fine

Breaching isolation orders after testing positive for COVID-19: $4,957, up to $20,000 for repeat offenders

Being with more than one other person

One visit to the grocery store per household per day. Must be by yourself.

Spending more than one hour outside for exercise purposes only

Traveling more than 5 kilometers (3.1 miles for you Americans) away from your home. This is enforced with vehicle checkpoints for cars and bicycles.

Edited by caulfield12

16 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Jason Miller kept dodging Chuck Todd’s questions on “Meet the Press,” encouraged what they should have encouraged months ago with wearing masks, washing hands and avoiding crowds and declined to offer an update on the president’s condition, aside from saying he is in good spirits. The doctors from Walter Reed and the president’s staff declined to take an interview. Talk about an administration not being transparent with voters especially with the mixed messaging.

And this mixed messaging is only leading people to think the worst. It leaves me with the impression that no one is in charge. For better or worse, temporary presidential powers should be passed to Pence. Should Trump recover, he can assume his office again. The fact that this is not happening is very concerning.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Beast said:

This is no surprise. How do you think this administration would respond? Perhaps all the lies and misinformation are finally catching up to them. But his response, and the fact that Trump exposed all those donors, some who paid $250k to this virus knowing Hope Hicks had it and he might, is all business as usual. Par for the course. The guy doesnt care about his biggest donors. Just their money. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Masks, social distancing, hand washing. Free health care for anyone with symptoms, expanded unemployment benefits to individuals. Harsher penalties for people acting irresponsibly.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't see a need to bailout companies that can operate safely. 

I don't get not wearing a mask either. I don't get defending the irresponsible people and adjusting the world for them. 

The world is opening up slowly with reduced capacity and other adjustments. That seems like a common sense approach. I'm in an area that has seen big reductions in illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths. Gradually reopening business when and where possible is the best course of action. 

And I still believe beating this pandemic starts with people being responsible and wearing masks, washing hands, etc. Everyone can be responsible for their own actions. But personal irresponsibility seems to have its fans.

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Actually taxing the rich and corporations, for one?  Maybe a little less military spending?  That should free up a few billions and billions and billions for those that actually need it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Masks, social distancing, hand washing. Free health care for anyone with symptoms, expanded unemployment benefits to individuals. Harsher penalties for people acting irresponsibly.

Opening up bars, restaurants, schools etc with uncontrolled spread is irresponsible

The reward for getting things under control is that you get to do those things until there's a localized outbreak, and then that area has to shut down for a bit again.

Responsible countries that relied on public policy to address a major public health crisis have shown this works. Irresponsible countries relying on "personal responsibility" while opening things up have shown their methods are complete failures.

How many tens of thousands of more deaths do you need to see, Tex?

Edited by StrangeSox

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Opening up bars, restaurants, schools etc with uncontrolled spread is irresponsible

The reward for getting things under control is that you get to do those things until there's a localized outbreak, and then that area has to shut down for a bit again.

Responsible countries that relied on public policy to address a major public health crisis have shown this works. Irresponsible countries relying on "personal responsibility" while opening things up have shown their methods are complete failures.

How many tens of thousands of more deaths do you need to see, Tex?

How few cases before you open up schools, bars, and restaurants?