COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

24 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You guys are adding more to my stance than is there.

I believe people need to be responsible and follow, at a minimum, any rules that are in place.

I understand that some of you disagree. I can't change your mind and y'all haven't changed mine. Just please when you are being irresponsible don't come around me. 

Who has said that they think people shouldn't be responsible? 

• Love 1

Maybe y'all have different delivery scenarios than what I'm thinking.

There is basically one restaurant that I still visit. Metro Taco Stop has been a regular three or so days a week stop for me for about three years. Raul is the owner and he has a cook. That's the entire staff. Before entering you must use hand sanitizer and wear a mask. No exceptions. The cook hands the food to Raul and he hands it to me. He opens at 6:30 and I'm using there at 6:45. Normally he has about 20 tables, now he has four. If no one is there, and rarely at that hour is anyone there, I will dine in. I know he has disinfected the table using a product that is equal to what we use at my school. If someone is there I will take it to go. If someone arrives while I'm waiting the five minutes or so for my order he knows to change my order to go. 

I don't believe having Raul hand that to a different random delivery guy each day who then adds my bag to the other bags and then the driver visits other area restaurants that I don't know how clean they are is very safe. I want to see the process. With contact tracing I understand that everyone that the delivery driver has come in contact with is a potential source of infection. Perhaps that is being overly cautious. Maybe those delivery services have put in greater safety protocols that make you comfortable. And, I'll be honest, the fees are crazy.

Just something to consider. I know y'all just want to prove how wrong I am. But adding potentially infected people to the process isn't in your best interest. If you can, go get that food yourself. It will save you some money and IMHO reduce somewhat your risk. 

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

If you were to throw out a few stereotypes, the red states supposedly care more about individual freedoms, gun rights, less interventionist or limited government, etc.

I wonder if y'all are thinking that's what I'm saying. Actually the opposite. Following the rules is less individual freedom, more intervention, and greater government. I want more conformity to laws, not less. 

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Than what have I said that you disagree with?

I never said that I disagree with you. But that doesn't answer the question. I want to know who you are accusing of disagreeing with you and where anyone said that people shouldn't be responsible.

1 minute ago, Iwritecode said:

I never said that I disagree with you. But that doesn't answer the question. I want to know who you are accusing of disagreeing with you and where anyone said that people shouldn't be responsible.

Several people said that doesn't work. 

15 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Show me one time where anyone has said that.

All you are doing is stating the obvious, which is that  rules and laws only work when people follow them. I have yet to see anyone disagree with that statement.

The difference is on the strength of the expected government response that’s coming in late January or early February assuming current election trend lines continue to put a stop to this in the heart of the winter before we lose another semester of school to online classes.

At a certain point, enough people not being responsible and a critical mass not enforcing policies (that are wildly inconsistent and constantly changing already) leads us to the conclusion something more draconian must be imposed.

Texsox is trying to humanize it like good politician with vignettes and stories of individual entrepreneurs, but they’re all going to be swept away if this goes on for another 4-6 months and without any more government financial assistance. For example, the US rental market is on the verge of a complete collapse as the pressure on landlords builds with no end in sight.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/tech/qanon-europe-cult-intl/index.html

It’s going to get REALLY ugly/nasty/Darwinist if the entire world needs to be locked down again.

There’s the exponential growth of qAnon across Europe and even South America.   One of my coworkers in China has been mesmerized by this way of thinking, and he now wants to physically fight another Civil War back in the US with anyone who doesn’t agree with his conspiracy-driven philosophy.

Texsox is unlikely to be a QAnon cult leader (they are wholeheartedly anti-golf as an elitist sport, except Trump and Abe playing, lol), but the scariest thing is those blindly following because there’s such a vacuum in world leadership that they are gravitating to like-minded communities for a sense of solidarity, for a meaning/purpose in life. 

Edited by caulfield12

This Eli Lilly news is very, very good news.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/07/eli-lilly-monoclonal-antibody-cocktail-covid-19/

We have, rightfully, been focused on a vaccine because we know that there may be some longer term health effects we've yet to know how to treat or realize.

However, many of those that still get covid are in industries or first responders who cannot wait and need to be at high risk. When a vaccine comes, I hope people get it. But we are on verge of several very promising treatments that may substantially reduce time to recovery and mortality rate.

1 hour ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Blather.  He knew everything and told it to Bob Woodward in their intereviews in February.  It's all on tape.  Google it and learn.

I know what he told Woodward, and I don't need to google anything. What Trump said was absolute bull, like everything else that has come out of his double-talking mouth. My point was that he has no credibility on this issue or on most issues. In the meantime, the West Wing is a "ghost town." Maybe you should learn a thing to two.,

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Maybe y'all have different delivery scenarios than what I'm thinking.

There is basically one restaurant that I still visit. Metro Taco Stop has been a regular three or so days a week stop for me for about three years. Raul is the owner and he has a cook. That's the entire staff. Before entering you must use hand sanitizer and wear a mask. No exceptions. The cook hands the food to Raul and he hands it to me. He opens at 6:30 and I'm using there at 6:45. Normally he has about 20 tables, now he has four. If no one is there, and rarely at that hour is anyone there, I will dine in. I know he has disinfected the table using a product that is equal to what we use at my school. If someone is there I will take it to go. If someone arrives while I'm waiting the five minutes or so for my order he knows to change my order to go. 

I don't believe having Raul hand that to a different random delivery guy each day who then adds my bag to the other bags and then the driver visits other area restaurants that I don't know how clean they are is very safe. I want to see the process. With contact tracing I understand that everyone that the delivery driver has come in contact with is a potential source of infection. Perhaps that is being overly cautious. Maybe those delivery services have put in greater safety protocols that make you comfortable. And, I'll be honest, the fees are crazy.

Just something to consider. I know y'all just want to prove how wrong I am. But adding potentially infected people to the process isn't in your best interest. If you can, go get that food yourself. It will save you some money and IMHO reduce somewhat your risk. 

Unless you're eating the bag, or you don't plate your food and wash your hands, the delivery guy has zero contact with the food.

I get supporting local businesses, I've tried to as well, but in reality the government should have shut these places down and supplemented their revenue for the time being. That didn't happen so now we're gonna lose like 50% of small businesses like restaurants.

This whole thing has been such a disaster from a leadership perspective.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

You guys are adding more to my stance than is there.

I believe people need to be responsible and follow, at a minimum, any rules that are in place.

I understand that some of you disagree. I can't change your mind and y'all haven't changed mine. Just please when you are being irresponsible don't come around me. 

I literally have no fucking clue what you are arguing in this thread.  But let me say this, dining indoors should not be allowed, whether it’s currently a rule or not.  That should not be up for debate whatsoever and before you say “what about all the poor restaurant owners and their employees” that falls on the government to provide them with the necessary financial support to get through this pandemic.  If our government could just take care of those most impacted by COVID (like the restaurant industry) and ban all non-critical activities that greatly increase one’s exposure to COVID (like dining indoors) we’d suddenly have thousands more people are alive.  It’s really that fucking simple.

11 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Hate to quote myself, but he reversed himself on the stimulus deal.  That took about an hour.

Before you dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

In case there was any confusion from Trump's tweets last night, White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows today said: "The stimulus negotiations are off."

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I literally have no fucking clue what you are arguing in this thread.  But let me say this, dining indoors should not be allowed, whether it’s currently a rule or not.  That should not be up for debate whatsoever and before you say “what about all the poor restaurant owners and their employees” that falls on the government to provide them with the necessary financial support to get through this pandemic.  If our government could just take care of those most impacted by COVID (like the restaurant industry) and ban all non-critical activities that greatly increase one’s exposure to COVID (like dining indoors) we’d suddenly have thousands more people are alive.  It’s really that fucking simple.

The last stimulus literally propped up multiple large businesses like cruise lines that won't be able to provide services for at least another year, and the government is like "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ can't help you small businesses too bad"

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The last stimulus literally propped up multiple large businesses like cruise lines that won't be able to provide services for at least another year, and the government is like "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ can't help you small businesses too bad"

Its almost like we shouldn't have been running trillion dollar deficits during the "best economy ever!", so that when the next recession came along, we could actually do something about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/thats-the-only-way-we-survived-government-stimulus-provided-millions-a-lifeline-now-families-are-on-the-brink-142544221.html

Tex you eat tacos at 6:30 in the morning? 

The unemployment stimulus killed small businesses as much as anything.  A friend had to close her restaurant because they could not get enough support staff.  They are not in an urban area but not necessarily rural either.  They could not hire people that wanted to work.  A part time person that she was paying about $100 a week was making $800 a week to sit at home.  She could not pay that person a realistic wage to come back to work.  Another union friend has been out of work since mid-March and with random side work and unemployment has no interest in going back to work.  Let's also not even get into unemployment fraud which is out of control. 

We are all screwed.  

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The unemployment stimulus killed small businesses as much as anything.  A friend had to close her restaurant because they could not get enough support staff.  They are not in an urban area but not necessarily rural either.  They could not hire people that wanted to work.  A part time person that she was paying about $100 a week was making $800 a week to sit at home.  She could not pay that person a realistic wage to come back to work.  Another union friend has been out of work since mid-March and with random side work and unemployment has no interest in going back to work.  Let's also not even get into unemployment fraud which is out of control. 

We are all screwed.  

I'm assuming breakfast tacos - if you haven't had them - you should try them - DELICIOUS :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Breakfast tacos are sweet, but there is nothing wrong with a regular taco at 6:30 AM.

I was going to say that too - good tacos are good at any time.  My college ritual during finals week was to get up super early and get regular tacos from a really good hole in the wall place, wash it down with a coke, and than crank through finals.  I always called it the breakfast of champions!   

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

We are all screwed.  

This could also be a part of the problem.