COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

There was the Hannity interview where Trump was coughing and gagging. Not to be surprised, the country is not getting the full picture on his health. Regardless of any medical okay, I wouldn't want to be near him, not that I would want to be near him anyway.

He was on with Rush Limbaugh today for 2 hours. At the end Rush said, "I know you have a jam packed schedule". Really? Who could get away with a 2 hour phone call at work? So obviously still sick.

Edited by Dick Allen

Nearly 1 in 5 Chicago residents who sent blood-spot samples to Northwestern University researchers tested positive for antibodies to the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, according to preliminary results of an ongoing study.

That 20% infection rate is higher than the scientists anticipated based on earlier research, said Dr. Elizabeth McNally, director of the Center for Genetic Medicine at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. One study by other Northwestern researchers tested hospital workers from across the Chicago region and found antibodies in less than 5%.

The researchers noted that the SCAN team is using a particularly sensitive test for COVID-19 antibodies and therefore is likely identifying more exposures than others have found. The Northwestern researchers who tested hospital workers, for example, used a different antibody test.

“Those commercial tests are missing maybe 25% of people ... whereas ours don’t,” McNally said.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-antibody-testing-chicago-rate-northwestern-20201009-jxzpyewzlrcgnny2fyflupqdcq-story.html#nt=pf-double chain~top-news-chain-1~flex feature~curated~antibodies-fri-530a~JXZPYEWZLRCGNNY2FYFLUPQDCQ~1~2~3~4~art yes

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He was on with Rush Limbaugh today for 2 hours. At the end Rush said, "I know you have a jam packed schedule". Really? Who could get away with a 2 hour phone call at work? So obviously still sick.

Without having the benefit of inside knowledge, I am convinced he is doing much worse than advertised. The White House just isn't all that transparent. Additionally, all his brave talk sounds like a bunch of denial. Even if his condition has improved, obviously this is a disease that can't be dismissed. Regardless, holding rallies would be a horrible decision. More people will get it; more people will suffer. Strange thing to do to your supporters. 

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Without having the benefit of inside knowledge, I am convinced he is doing much worse than advertised. The White House just isn't all that transparent. Additionally, all his brave talk sounds like a bunch of denial. Even if his condition has improved, obviously this is a disease that can't be dismissed. Regardless, holding rallies would be a horrible decision. More people will get it; more people will suffer. Strange thing to do to your supporters. 

This White House lies so often, I would be more likely to believe Trump was healthy if they told me he was on deaths door.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump is up to $1.8 trillion on the stimulus. Pelosi started at $3 trillion, and said she would make a deal at $2 trillion and was called crazy. Looks like she should have written the Art of a Deal.

When 48 hours ago, he wasn't willing to do anything.

9 hours ago, The Beast said:

I was referring more to the state’s pension obligations and lack of reform. What did you mean?

I hope reform doesn't mean stiffing the pensioners.  That would give a new meaning to the word Reform.

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump is up to $1.8 trillion on the stimulus. Pelosi started at $3 trillion, and said she would make a deal at $2 trillion and was called crazy. Looks like she should have written the Art of a Deal.

She is as likely to have written The Art of the Deal as Donald Trump.  He may not have read the damn thing.

Edited by Stinky Stanky

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

When 48 hours ago, he wasn't willing to do anything.

He wasn't willing to do anything cause he decided Pelosi wasn't serious about passing a bill and he didn't want to deal with her. She won that battle. He conceded defeat, realizing it made him look bad, thus he started working on the stimulous again rather than after re-election. Pelosi won this battle in their war.

The fortunate thing is that no one has died or seems to be on death's door as a result of the White House cluster. Trump should, at least, feel relieved for himself and others. That's why having these events is so stupid. He's learning nothing. Also, even with no fatalities, there still can be long-term effects of the virus. Once again, leadership is not there.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

He wasn't willing to do anything cause he decided Pelosi wasn't serious about passing a bill and he didn't want to deal with her. She won that battle. He conceded defeat, realizing it made him look bad, thus he started working on the stimulous again rather than after re-election. Pelosi won this battle in their war.

Nah, it was a self-own on the part of your hero.

A competent leader would have made he response to COVID-19 a priority. From testing, to PPE, to public guidance, to setting an example for the people he leads. Oh, and in THIS case, where the economy has suffered a demand shock, to support people who need help in the form of stimulus. 

But no, I'm certain that your favorite "news network" has convinced you that nominating a SC justice is more Christian than helping the poor and the small business owner. (And more crucial than supporting other folks in need.)

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

A competent leader would have made he response to COVID-19 a priority. From testing, to PPE, to public guidance, to setting an example for the people he leads. Oh, and in THIS case, where the economy has suffered a demand shock, to support people who need help in the form of stimulus

But no, I'm certain that your favorite "news network" has convinced you that nominating a SC justice is more Christian than helping the poor and the small business owner. (And more crucial than supporting other folks in need.)

Ok to be fair...

Fox News has argued in court that no reasonable person could take hosts such as Tucker seriously as a news source.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

She was more than willing to pass a deal.  The GOP didn't want a bill that helped everyone.

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't know why he does anything and neither do you. 😁

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

Where do you get your information? Pelosi has passed 3 bills. Two that the GOP in the Senate wouldn’t even consider. It seems kind of peculiar for a person that wasn’t serious about passing a bill to actually be passing bills.

The myth of the great negotiator has been proven incorrect over and over again, yet some refuse to see it.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is a financial hub for the nation

Are you confident it is going to stay that way or is it untrue people are fleeing Chicago over taxes, brutal winters and businesses not wanting to deal with the looting going unpunished via dropped charges/no charges. I am all for it staying the financial hub of the nation. I have read about people fleeing NYC, Chicago and LA over taxes and homeless and violence. Even Bill Maher, who is liberal, was talking about it on his last show with a Democratic rep from California for instance, that people are fleeing big cities like LA.

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, Quin said:

Ok to be fair...

Fox News has argued in court that no reasonable person could take hosts such as Tucker seriously as a news source.

Just because I love Tucker doesn't mean he's a bad host, ill informed. I could say the same about Cuomo and Lemon. Just because some people are silent about it does not mean Tucker Carlson and Hannity do not have a lot of viewers. Personally I just want us all to live in peace, have health and be prosperous right now. I fear all three things are things of the past. It makes me sad and concerned that people can;'t accept others' views and why they might disagree with others views. Believe it or not, Carlson has a ton of viewers. So does Limbaugh. So does Hannity. You may know some people who watch them or like them. Those viewers are not all bad Americans. Personally I also enjoy Maher and listening to his views. Yet I also love Rogan. It's good to listen to all views.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I don't know why he's my hero. I voted for Obama over Romney and McCain and I sat out the Trump-Hillary election cause I didn't see any reason to vote for a write-in candidate. For somebody who is pretty conservative, I don't run to the ballot box and hit the R button on all candidates.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't know why he's my hero. I voted for Obama over Romney and McCain and I sat out the Trump-Hillary election cause I didn't see any reason to vote for a write-in candidate. For somebody who is pretty conservative, I don't run to the ballot box and hit the R button on all candidates.

I am pretty certain you used to say you didn’t vote for Trump, but you wrote in someone else (speculation was Jesse Ventura). Now, you didn’t vote at all?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I am pretty certain you used to say you didn’t vote for Trump, but you wrote in someone else (speculation was Jesse Ventura). Now, you didn’t vote at all?

No I was gonna write in Ozzie but thought better of it. If I said I wrote in Ventura I lied but I do love Ventura. I'm no dummy. If I did lie, sorry, Buffalo, it's not a good thing to do. I realize Trump is a rich spoiled man who is selfish IMO and not the best person. But Hillary had angered me beyond belief. I did vote for Sox fan/great man Obama twice. To be honest with you, I'd probably vote for Michelle O if she ran this time. You won't see me voting for either of these candidates this year. Sad that some people like me won't be at the polls.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 3