COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Indiana has set new records for covid cases in back to back days.

Missouri, Kansas and Kentucky ain't doing so well, either. I don't know if u guys saw, Les Miles announced Thursday he has COVID-19.

Edited by greg775

21 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I hope reform doesn't mean stiffing the pensioners.  That would give a new meaning to the word Reform.

She is as likely to have written The Art of the Deal as Donald Trump.  He may not have read the damn thing.

Reform could come in a few different ways, reduced pensions, stopping double dipping, capping pensions, getting rid of the 3% COLA and replacing it with something else or keeping pace with current payments but changing to a new 401(k) like system. I want teachers I know to get a retirement, but the pension system as it is now just isn’t sustainable.

22 hours ago, Quin said:

Ok to be fair...

Fox News has argued in court that no reasonable person could take hosts such as Tucker seriously as a news source.

This is true.

Yet, fux "news" is allowed to continue their name as "news," even though the majority of their programming is not NEWS, but rather, are opinion pieces and commentary. IOW, their name in of itself is false advertising. In turn, low information types assume that ANYTHING that is said on their airwaves is "news," and therefore, true.

Don't get me wrong, its profitable programming. But this is a network that actively makes you stupider the more you watch it. And, the more people watch it, the more polarized we as a society become. To a lesser degree, this is true for other networks, but they actually broadcast more actual news than fux does. 

As it pertains to COVID, they've magnified and broadcast opinions of this president about the disease that simply haven't been true. They've served as misinformation, disinformation, and propaganda to aggrandize this president. In doing so, they've helped to get people killed, and to stop up our economy. 

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't know why he's my hero. I voted for Obama over Romney and McCain and I sat out the Trump-Hillary election cause I didn't see any reason to vote for a write-in candidate. For somebody who is pretty conservative, I don't run to the ballot box and hit the R button on all candidates.

Greg, as others have said, you've reported your voting history otherwise in other places. But that isn't really pertinent here. If you squander your finite time on earth watching a propaganda network that has gotten people killed, Trump is your hero. You have already re-broadcast that man's racism here, and GOD KNOWS what you've said to others in your off-ST life. 

At the same time, your on air hero, Tucker Carlson is also a rich, spoiled man who, like trump, inherited millions from the Swanson family fortune. Regardless, fux "news" IS. NOT. NEWS. They put on more opinion and commentary on their airwaves than they put on actual "news." And, when they do make an attempt to put on news, they also temper it with yet more "commentary," which is really only propaganda for one man.

Long story short, you are becoming dumber and wasting your life the more you watch that propaganda network. Turn off the TV, and pick up a book. Get some exercise, and look for the good in others, rather than watching a network and a president that magnifies the difference between "us" and "them," whether its those "rapist mexicans," or "the chinese," or WHOMEVER you're supposed to hate.

It takes 21 days to form a new habit. Turn off fux "news" for 21 days, and you will become a better man.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 2

I agree with Two-Gun Pete on so-called Fox News. That network does not report news in any way. 

However, as a liberal, I sometimes find my stomach turning when I watch MS-NBC. That network's bias shows too, and it did what it could to sabotage the Bernie Sanders candidacy. Regardless, I find myself trying to sift through the bias and figure out what is honest reporting. 

I think that one truly important thing regarding the virus is information. We, as a country, desperately need it. We need to know how to protect ourselves and just how hopeful the future is when it comes to treatments and vaccines. We don't need scams that mislead us and even con us out of our money. Or worse yet, people killing themselves because they are fooled by wild claims. Right now journalists don't only need to be journalists. They need to be patriots. Our future depends on it.

• Like 2

White House refuse to let Coronavirus task force experts on the Sunday shows. 

One thing I wonder about Trump and now being for stimulus. If our country is coming back like nothing that has ever been seen before, he has a cure for the virus, everyone will get it for free, and it is going away anyway, why would a republican want to give $1.8 trillion away?

45 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I agree with Two-Gun Pete on so-called Fox News. That network does not report news in any way. 

However, as a liberal, I sometimes find my stomach turning when I watch MS-NBC. That network's bias shows too, and it did what it could to sabotage the Bernie Sanders candidacy. Regardless, I find myself trying to sift through the bias and figure out what is honest reporting. 

I think that one truly important thing regarding the virus is information. We, as a country, desperately need it. We need to know how to protect ourselves and just how hopeful the future is when it comes to treatments and vaccines. We don't need scams that mislead us and even con us out of our money. Or worse yet, people killing themselves because they are fooled by wild claims. Right now journalists don't only need to be journalists. They need to be patriots. Our future depends on it.

Don't "both sides" this one. You may not "like" MSNBC, given your politics. But they do not try to pose as "news," and then spend 18 out of 24 hours broadcasting lies/propaganda. At a minimum, MSNBC does make an attempt to be news first, and then opinion second, whether you like their opinions or not.

To the bolded, I wholeheartedly agree. We need information, and the truth. For us to beat back COVID, and for us to get the economy going [so greg can get his haircuts, and we can all go to the ballpark], we need this, so that we can choose appropriately as a society. We don't need shitgibbons on a sh!tty network to incite stupidity and sedition, all in the name of giving this president the jollies.

The problem nowadays is that most people get the same types of stories re-fed to them over and over again on social media, like pigs getting refed the leftovers from Las Vegas buffets. Then, they take their political leaning to their cable news choices, and try to find reverification on fux or OAN or whatever network, rather than being open to other and opposite viewpoints. [Hell, I catch that same tendency in myself whenever I watch too much TV.]

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Don't "both sides" this one. You may not "like" MSNBC, given your politics. But they do not try to pose as "news," and then spend 18 out of 24 hours broadcasting lies/propaganda. At a minimum, MSNBC does make an attempt to be news first, and then opinion second, whether you like their opinions or not.

To the bolded, I wholeheartedly agree. We need information, and the truth. For us to beat back COVID, and for us to get the economy going [so greg can get his haircuts, and we can all go to the ballpark], we need this, so that we can choose appropriately as a society. We don't need shitgibbons on a sh!tty network to incite stupidity and sedition, all in the name of giving this president the jollies.

The problem nowadays is that most people get the same types of stories re-fed to them over and over again on social media, like pigs getting refed the leftovers from Las Vegas buffets. Then, they take their political leaning to their cable news choices, and try to find reverification on fux or OAN or whatever network, rather than being open to other and opposite viewpoints. [Hell, I catch that same tendency in myself whenever I watch too much TV.]

I am not both siding it. I do like MS-NBC; I just cringe at some of its coverage. I can't even watch Fox because the network doesn't come close to objectivity or accuracy. And the network some times does great harm to people with its slander.

What I am saying is that I remain skeptical even like I think the source is basically credible, especially when it comes to something this important. I am not going to give a pass to anyone when this country is in the shape it is in at the moment. As far as my politics, I don't think you know what my politics are.

On 10/11/2020 at 9:42 AM, Dick Allen said:

White House refuse to let Coronavirus task force experts on the Sunday shows. 

One thing I wonder about Trump and now being for stimulus. If our country is coming back like nothing that has ever been seen before, he has a cure for the virus, everyone will get it for free, and it is going away anyway, why would a republican want to give $1.8 trillion away?

Because at the end of the day - both parties are tribalism at their finest. buzz words forced down each others throats until the people who identify as either actually believe them. 

Republicans and democrats are like 85% the same on topics. They just love to highlight the few they're not in agreement on. 

Spending? That's a government problem. Not repbulican or democrat.

On 10/11/2020 at 11:08 AM, NWINFan said:

we can all go to the ballpark

We can ... thats the common sense part I hate about the public sometimes. Like, why couldn't the Sox come up with a plan where 10k fans could go to the game, socially distanced, utilizing ticketmaster maps/computers for spacing. Have assigned gates, have assigned row exiting at the end of the game, have concessions ordered through the MyBallpark app, picked up at a designated location like you do at any quick service restaurant nowadays, etc etc. Mask rules on concourse. Have the ushers enforce spacing and any behavior that may be deemed too much, etc.? It wouldn't be any worse or more dangerous than Home Depot ... it's just using common sense and keeping it outdoors. But for some reason baseball waited until the NLCS to allow it. It's all bizarre to me. 

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

We can ... thats the common sense part I hate about the public sometimes. Like, why couldn't the Sox come up with a plan where 10k fans could go to the game, socially distanced, utilizing ticketmaster maps/computers for spacing. Have assigned gates, have assigned row exiting at the end of the game, have concessions ordered through the MyBallpark app, picked up at a designated location like you do at any quick service restaurant nowadays, etc etc. Mask rules on concourse. Have the ushers enforce spacing and any behavior that may be deemed too much, etc.? It wouldn't be any worse or more dangerous than Home Depot ... it's just using common sense and keeping it outdoors. But for some reason baseball waited until the NLCS to allow it. It's all bizarre to me. 

It was literally blocked by the State of Illinois.

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was literally blocked by the State of Illinois.

Yes, in IL it was & that was Lori not allowing it in Chicago. I think the CUbs had a plan they presented to her and she declined it. But what about literally every other baseball stadium in the US? Particularly in Texas? I mean, all of a sudden they allow fans? But not during the regular season? Texas has allowed socially distanced outdoor concerts all summer, baseball wouldve been approved. You can go across a bunch of states which would have allowed it ... so just connecting the dots, the MLB shut it down. Not sure what was the driver behind that.

Common sense shows that it can be done, and relatively easily. zero % political driven. 100% common sense driven. 

Cases and hospitalizations are both rising again, giving us a third wave with no end in sight. I'm not sure "common sense" is something we should keep following given the death toll.

Maybe we should give "medical and scientific expertise" a shot instead?

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Cases and hospitalizations are both rising again, giving us a third wave with no end in sight. I'm not sure "common sense" is something we should keep following given the death toll.

Yes, it would be great to give medical and scientific expertise a real shot. The pandemic is not going away nor will getting pissed about wearing a mask help. I wonder how many have to die before some stop with the denial routine. It is obvious Trump is the last person we should listen to.

50 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yes, in IL it was & that was Lori not allowing it in Chicago. I think the CUbs had a plan they presented to her and she declined it. But what about literally every other baseball stadium in the US? Particularly in Texas? I mean, all of a sudden they allow fans? But not during the regular season? Texas has allowed socially distanced outdoor concerts all summer, baseball wouldve been approved. You can go across a bunch of states which would have allowed it ... so just connecting the dots, the MLB shut it down. Not sure what was the driver behind that.

Common sense shows that it can be done, and relatively easily. zero % political driven. 100% common sense driven. 

MLB doesn't want dead people on their watch.  It isn't difficult.  Why waste lives on a sport?

23 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

3rd wave?  Nah, the first wave never ended.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Would love to see this at some point.  Let me know when it starts

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

MLB doesn't want dead people on their watch.  It isn't difficult.  Why waste lives on a sport?

To each their own. I try to stay off the Covid thread as much as possible since there is no winning. Religion, politics and Covid - the holy grail. My point is I 125% believe you can get 10k into Comiskey as safely as a Home Depot, Wal-Mart, little league baseball game, grocery store, etc. You just take measures like I laid out above... (all moot now anyways, but may be applicable next year). You open all gates, people naturally arrive spaced out, seats are calculated by an algorithm, food is ordered through Ballpark App, concourses are mask on, hell whole stadium can be masked if that makes you more comfortable, staggered exits based on rows, etc. Really not that hard to pull off. Now, if this was the Bulls? it'd be tougher based on indoors. But outdoors like Comiskey and Soldier Field can be managed. 

Also if the MLB doesn't want dead people on their watch, then why risk it for 12 or so games & 120k of ticket sales for NLCS and WS after being so careful for almost 1,000 regular season games? 

When you start asking common sense question and don't get common sense answers, that's where my interest is peaked. 

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

To each their own. I try to stay off the Covid thread as much as possible since there is no winning. Religion, politics and Covid - the holy grail. My point is I 125% believe you can get 10k into Comiskey as safely as a Home Depot, Wal-Mart, little league baseball game, grocery store, etc. You just take measures like I laid out above... (all moot now anyways, but may be applicable next year). You open all gates, people naturally arrive spaced out, seats are calculated by an algorithm, food is ordered through Ballpark App, concourses are mask on, hell whole stadium can be masked if that makes you more comfortable, staggered exits based on rows, etc. Really not that hard to pull off. Now, if this was the Bulls? it'd be tougher based on indoors. But outdoors like Comiskey and Soldier Field can be managed. 

Also if the MLB doesn't want dead people on their watch, then why risk it for 12 or so games & 120k of ticket sales for NLCS and WS after being so careful for almost 1,000 regular season games? 

When you start asking common sense question and don't get common sense answers, that's where my interest is peaked. 

Most of these things aren't safe, aren't necessary, and definitely aren't being done safely.  It is the incremental strategy that is killing people in the US.  But business is more important than lives here, so on we go.

13 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Like, why couldn't the Sox come up with a plan where 10k fans could go to the game, socially distanced, utilizing ticketmaster maps/computers for spacing. Have assigned gates, have assigned row exiting at the end of the game, have concessions ordered through the MyBallpark app, picked up at a designated location like you do at any quick service restaurant nowadays, etc etc. Mask rules on concourse. Have the ushers enforce spacing and any behavior that may be deemed too much, etc.? 

Why not? Because too many people feel they have the right to do whatever they want and simply don’t care about anyone but themselves. If the Sox did everything you said (which is a very easy and workable plan), some people who go to the games would refuse to follow the rules, and enforcement would probably be tasked to a 70 year old Andy Frain who’s just trying to get out of the house and make a few bucks working at Sox games.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

I don't want to put this in PHT because I'm sure the common answer I'd get is 162 with full stadiums, but how many MLB games do you guys think will be played per team next season?

The vaccine trials are hitting snags and I doubt that it will be safe for fans to be in stands. Thus, the owners are likely to pretend that they can't afford to pay players for a full 162 game season and we'll have to enter the same song and dance. At this point I'm optimistic that we get more than the 60+ we got this year, but my question is how many more? Will they just play a full season without fans, despite it retroactively contradicting the idea that they couldn't afford to do more than 60 this year when there was room for ~100?