COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Why not? Because too many people feel they have the right to do whatever they want and simply don’t care about anyone but themselves. If the Sox did everything you said (which is a very easy and workable plan), some people who go to the games would refuse to follow the rules, and enforcement would probably be tasked to a 70 year old Andy Frain who’s just trying to get out of the house and make a few bucks working at Sox games.

The thing is you have real security/ushers, no concessions and you charge a lot per ticket.   

22 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't want to put this in PHT because I'm sure the common answer I'd get is 162 with full stadiums, but how many MLB games do you guys think will be played per team next season?

The vaccine trials are hitting snags and I doubt that it will be safe for fans to be in stands. Thus, the owners are likely to pretend that they can't afford to pay players for a full 162 game season and we'll have to enter the same song and dance. At this point I'm optimistic that we get more than the 60+ we got this year, but my question is how many more? Will they just play a full season without fans, despite it retroactively contradicting the idea that they couldn't afford to do more than 60 this year when there was room for ~100?

Personally I think they worked out in their minds how to play baseball.  I think they shoot for 162 games, and try to figure out how to have some sort of a minor league season.  There will be kinks for sure, but they will try.

I began questioning whether Trump had even been infected when he went to Walter Reed, took a strange victory lap  in a black SUV and announced that he would be released the next day.

Now it seems like Trump and his D.O. would have us believe that  Regeneron,  Remdesivir, plus  Dexamethasone  blunted the virus (or at least any symptoms associated with it, even before the 10-14 day incubation period was over with.

Is it possible that Trump , Giuliani, Christie and others were infected with a less virulent strain of Covid-19 than the one that has had other people with similar pre-existing conditions coughing and wheezing , gasping for breath, or eventually succumbing to it?   Or, was  the cocktail of antibodies plus steroids a magic bullet?   Or, is Trump really Superman? Or does the stench of this lead to some kind of trumped-up Bulsh1t ?

Edited by tray

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

There was a 20% increase in death between March and July in the US this year. 67% of those deaths were attributed to Covid 19. So anyone thinking the Covid death rate is way overreported and  also used for fraud are wrong again. 

Rudy Guiliani is on the campaign trail saying the virus doesn't kill. Over 217,000 dead and he's telling people it doesn't kill. America's Mayor has turned into America's Asshole. This guy has no credibility and he and people like him need to take a place on the political sidelines. It is amazing what an absolute joke he has turned into, and it is equally amazing some people still listen to him. We just don't need crap in the national conversation.

Trump had a raspy throat in an interview with Hannity and reportedly suffered a drop in oxygen level after he was infected.  Chris Christie spent several days in the hospital after admitting himself out of an abundance of caution.   Other than that we have not heard much about other people who allegedly were infected in or around the White House or by WH staff.   That has allowed Trump to maintain his narrative that "no one should fear Covid" and what appears to be his endorsement for a national herd immunity strategy. Unfortunately, I think Trump will be full speed ahead with that until the election, or until one of those in his inner circle get really sick from the virus. In short, he is not only doubling down on making Covid a partisan issue, he is now tripling down by using his claimed immunity and instant recovery as evidence that Covid is no big deal, . 

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tray said:

I began questioning whether Trump had even been infected when he went to Walter Reed, took a strange victory lap  in a black SUV and announced that he would be released the next day.

Now it seems like Trump and his D.O. would have us believe that  Regeneron,  Remdesivir, plus  Dexamethasone  blunted the virus (or at least any symptoms associated with it, even before the 10-14 day incubation period was over with.

Is it possible that Trump , Giuliani, Christie and others were infected with a less virulent strain of Covid-19 than the one that has had other people with similar pre-existing conditions coughing and wheezing , gasping for breath, or eventually succumbing to it?   Or, was  the cocktail of antibodies plus steroids a magic bullet?   Or, is Trump really Superman? Or does the stench of this lead to some kind of trumped-up Bulsh1t ?

Well most people who get infected probably don’t get that sick or even know they carry the virus.  That could be what happened.  

Or it’s a complete con job ego-driven farce from Trump.    

Both are actually equally likely

The White House has embraced a declaration by a group of scientists arguing that authorities should allow the coronavirus to spread among young healthy people while protecting the elderly and the vulnerable — an approach that would rely on arriving at “herd immunity” through infections rather than a vaccine.

Many experts say “herd immunity” — the point at which a disease stops spreading because nearly everyone in a population has contracted it — is still very far-off. Leading experts have concluded, using different scientific methods, that about 85 to 90 percent of the American population is still susceptible to the coronavirus.

Sky News found dozens of fake names on the list of medical signatories, which anyone can add to if they tick a box and enter a name. These included Dr. I.P. Freely, Dr. Person Fakename and Dr. Johnny Bananas, who listed himself as a “Dr of Hard Sums”. One medical professional on the list gives his name as Dr Harold Shipman, a general practitioner in the United Kingdom. A GP called Harold Shipman killed more than 200 of his patients before he was arrested in 1998.

Sky News also found 18 self-declared homeopaths listed on the open letter as medical practitioners, despite the fact that homeopathy has no scientific underpinning or clinical evidence to support its use. In addition, the letter has been signed by well over 100 therapists, including massage therapists, hypnotherapists, psychotherapists and one Mongolian Khöömii Singer who describes himself as a “therapeutic sound practitioner”.

23 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't want to put this in PHT because I'm sure the common answer I'd get is 162 with full stadiums, but how many MLB games do you guys think will be played per team next season?

The vaccine trials are hitting snags and I doubt that it will be safe for fans to be in stands. Thus, the owners are likely to pretend that they can't afford to pay players for a full 162 game season and we'll have to enter the same song and dance. At this point I'm optimistic that we get more than the 60+ we got this year, but my question is how many more? Will they just play a full season without fans, despite it retroactively contradicting the idea that they couldn't afford to do more than 60 this year when there was room for ~100?

Great question. It's insane how different the reports are. Yesterday I read the spike will be amazing starting now through a few months after everybody takes the vaccine. We're looking definitely at no relief from COVID til the spring of 2022. Then today I read it's all gonna be over by this May. No more COVID concerns. WTF. I'll stand by my prediction 10 percent of capacity next season. Or possibly no fans one more season.

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

The White House has embraced a declaration by a group of scientists arguing that authorities should allow the coronavirus to spread among young healthy people while protecting the elderly and the vulnerable — an approach that would rely on arriving at “herd immunity” through infections rather than a vaccine.

Many experts say “herd immunity” — the point at which a disease stops spreading because nearly everyone in a population has contracted it — is still very far-off. Leading experts have concluded, using different scientific methods, that about 85 to 90 percent of the American population is still susceptible to the coronavirus.

Sky News found dozens of fake names on the list of medical signatories, which anyone can add to if they tick a box and enter a name. These included Dr. I.P. Freely, Dr. Person Fakename and Dr. Johnny Bananas, who listed himself as a “Dr of Hard Sums”. One medical professional on the list gives his name as Dr Harold Shipman, a general practitioner in the United Kingdom. A GP called Harold Shipman killed more than 200 of his patients before he was arrested in 1998.

Sky News also found 18 self-declared homeopaths listed on the open letter as medical practitioners, despite the fact that homeopathy has no scientific underpinning or clinical evidence to support its use. In addition, the letter has been signed by well over 100 therapists, including massage therapists, hypnotherapists, psychotherapists and one Mongolian Khöömii Singer who describes himself as a “therapeutic sound practitioner”.

When you want to believe more than you want people to live...

On 10/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, BrianAnderson said:

To each their own. I try to stay off the Covid thread as much as possible since there is no winning. Religion, politics and Covid - the holy grail. My point is I 125% believe you can get 10k into Comiskey as safely as a Home Depot, Wal-Mart, little league baseball game, grocery store, etc. You just take measures like I laid out above... (all moot now anyways, but may be applicable next year). You open all gates, people naturally arrive spaced out, seats are calculated by an algorithm, food is ordered through Ballpark App, concourses are mask on, hell whole stadium can be masked if that makes you more comfortable, staggered exits based on rows, etc. Really not that hard to pull off. Now, if this was the Bulls? it'd be tougher based on indoors. But outdoors like Comiskey and Soldier Field can be managed. 

Also if the MLB doesn't want dead people on their watch, then why risk it for 12 or so games & 120k of ticket sales for NLCS and WS after being so careful for almost 1,000 regular season games? 

When you start asking common sense question and don't get common sense answers, that's where my interest is peaked. 

Who said a discussion had to be about winning? It’s about an exchange of ideas and an interesting perspective with lots of good minds on this board.

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Europe had been doing a lot better

My brother and sister in law live in Switzerland. She just came into town a couple of weeks ago and went back on Monday. When she gets back, she has a 10 day quarantine where she cannot leave her house. My brother can go out  as long as they sleep in separate rooms and remain socially distanced in their apartment.  

They own a place in Paris they cannot go to because they would have this same quarantine every time they returned.

Edited by Dick Allen

12 hours ago, The Beast said:

Who said a discussion had to be about winning? It’s about an exchange of ideas and an interesting perspective with lots of good minds on this board.

no winning is just an expression my man. 

A no-win set of conditions is one in which whatever happens there will be an unhappy and unsuccessful result: to be in a no-win situation.

Aka, if you say let's shut down everything, let's stay inside, let's follow the rules and get healthy. Then everybody lives, but jobs crash. 

If you say let's go out there and work, try to be safe ... well, you see what happens, people don't follow rules and get sick. 

AKA no winning. 

I don't care about winning an argument ... who cares if i win an argument with a stranger on a white sox message board about a nuanced topic like covid? Like what i say here is going to change anybody's mind or have an influence in the world in the slightest.. ha. It's a topic like religion and politics nowadays ... people are dug in, trying to defend their "side" as much as possible when the topic has so many angles that in reality there is no right answer. 

22 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Europe on the whole really relaxed over the past few months, and now they're seeing what that leads to. Lots of countries and cities are re-imposing restrictions.

Came across this as well:

Um...

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/topic/108927-covid-19coronavirus-thread/&do=findComment&comment=4004297