COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Now that we're into spike 3, I'm familiar with the initial literature on this but I don't feel bad about suggesting it's a minor effect unless you get the circumstances correct. Even though people are wearing masks a lot more, we're seeing that the population continues acting like 90% of the country hasn't had it yet. During the second spike, even with a lot of mask wearing, it's difficult to say there was a huge decrease in the death rate, which would be the measureable result if it was was alleged by one study. Texas, for example, at its peak had something like 8k cases per day in the seven day moving average, and had well over 100 deaths per day in the moving average - meaning that there was still a large number of cases missed even if treatment had the death rate down to 0.8% from better treatment. If "mask vaccines" were dramatically cutting into that, it would require Texas to have had what, 25,000 cases per day and detected 8,000? Testing is available enough now that also seems unlikely.

I doubt this proves anything. Mask wearing is happening as people go on errands and grocery runs, but those are low likelihood anyway as exposure to any one area is low.

Likelihood is vast majority of cases are likely occurring without masks, either in home, offices, gatherings or restaurants.

Highest School-Related Virus Cases Since August For Will County

The week of Oct. 12 also saw the highest number of new cases for all school settings since Aug. 10, according to the health department Facebook page. There are 74 new cases for the high school setting (ages 14-18), 39 new cases in middle schools (ages 10-13) and 24 new cases in the the elementary school setting (ages 5-9). Many school districts in the area are now in a hybrid learning model, rather than remote only.

The health department also broke down the number of coronavirus-related deaths as of Oct. 19 by age and gender:

• Less than five years old: 0 deaths for either gender
  • 10s: 1 female death, 0 male deaths
  • 20s: 0 female deaths, 1 male death
  • 30s: 2 female deaths, 1 male death
  • 40s: 3 female deaths, 8 male deaths
  • 50s: 12 female deaths, 23 male deaths
  • 60s: 25 female deaths, 45 male deaths
  • 70s: 49 female deaths, 57 male deaths
  • 80s: 61 female deaths, 59 male deaths
  • 90s: 53 female deaths, 17 male deaths
  • 100s: 2 female deaths, 2 male deaths

While people who are age 50 and older account for the most deaths, the age range with the highest amount of cases is actually those in their 20s. One child between the ages of 10 and 19 also died, along with a man in his 20s.

Wear your dang masks

Japanese researchers showed that masks can offer protection from airborne coronavirus particles, but even professional-grade coverings can't eliminate contagion risk entirely.

Scientists at the University of Tokyo built a secure chamber with mannequin heads facing each other. One head, fitted with a nebulizer, simulated coughing and expelled actual coronavirus particles. The other mimicked natural breathing, with a collection chamber for viruses coming through the airway.

A cotton mask reduced viral uptake by the receiver head by up to 40% compared to no mask. An N95 mask, used by medical professionals, blocked up to 90%. However, even when the N95 was fitted to the face with tape, some virus particles still sneaked in.

When a mask was attached to the coughing head, cotton and surgical masks blocked more than 50% of the virus transmission.

"There was a synergistic effect when both the virus receiver and virus spreader wore masks," the researchers wrote in a study published on Wednesday.

There has been a growing consensus among health experts that the COVID-19 virus can be spread through the air. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) revised its guidance this month to say the pathogen can linger in the air for hours.

Reuters

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

My cousin and his wife got Covid about a month ago. They both recovered. They had coughs, and not much energy. It lasted for about a week. Their doctor now tells them they have immunity for at least 90 days. I wonder if he knows something they aren’t telling the rest of us.

My guess is that the natural antibodies from the dead virus only last for 3 months in the body.

A vaccine would need them to last at least 12 months to be effective.

Very scary reports on the virus today in the USA and all over the world as some have posted as the cold weather begins. Can't be good news for college basketball and overseas basketball. Football at least is played outdoors for the most part. Damn, we can't shake this virus. If as expected Biden wins, I would look for IMMEDIATE shutdowns if Covid numbers are like this. Might be the first thing he does. 

I have this gut feeling I'm gonna be complaining about haircuts very soon again. I prolly should get it cut ASAP to beat the ban if it's coming.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Very scary reports on the virus today in the USA and all over the world as some have posted as the cold weather begins. Can't be good news for college basketball and overseas basketball. Football at least is played outdoors for the most part. Damn, we can't shake this virus. If as expected Biden wins, I would look for IMMEDIATE shutdowns if Covid numbers are like this. Might be the first thing he does. 

I have this gut feeling I'm gonna be complaining about haircuts very soon again. I prolly should get it cut ASAP to beat the ban if it's coming.

Didn’t you hear POTUS last night? We are rounding the turn. It is going away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Hey Dick, I truly resisted the temptation to get political in my last post here and did not go that route. In fact I almost typed some pretty crafty political jabs but stopped in my tracks. Don't know why you had to go that route just now. You usually have some good takes on COVID. I don't like today's numbers one iota.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm trying to be apolitical here and look beyond the politics at other roles that our presidents take. I've often believed that POTUS serves as a cheerleader. Looking at my lifetime after Nixon resigned, Ford stumbled, Carter was held hostage by extremists, Reagan literally rode in on a horse and gave America its swagger back. Then after the elderly Reagan and equally elderly Bush left Clinton entered the picture blowing a saxophone and blaring Fleetwood Mac. Again America felt alive.

While not my cup of tea I see that Trump has invigorated some Americans and they are digging the vibe and want to believe. I think most posters here agree it's a dangerous path he's taking people on. Comments our  presidents make (any of them)  I believe are more impactful than any budget or legislation they try to pass. 

This election isn't about immigration or health insurance, it's become Covid and Twitter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm trying to be apolitical here and look beyond the politics at other roles that our presidents take. I've often believed that POTUS serves as a cheerleader. Looking at my lifetime after Nixon resigned, Ford stumbled, Carter was held hostage by extremists, Reagan literally rode in on a horse and gave America its swagger back. Then after the elderly Reagan and equally elderly Bush left Clinton entered the picture blowing a saxophone and blaring Fleetwood Mac. Again America felt alive.

While not my cup of tea I see that Trump has invigorated some Americans and they are digging the vibe and want to believe. I think most posters here agree it's a dangerous path he's taking people on. Comments our  presidents make (any of them)  I believe are more impactful than any budget or legislation they try to pass. 

This election isn't about immigration or health insurance, it's become Covid and Twitter. 

Three things:

1- Tex is, to a large degree, misunderstood on Soxtalk

2- the first paragraph is so comically true I almost had Ninja vs Unicorn coming out my nose (if you don't know what that is go to the beer thread). (And shame on you)

3- third paragraph: true dat 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

This is an...interesting choice of language...given the groups that are invigorated. 

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

The word he was looking for was....idiots. 

No offense guys - but the world would be a better place if we stopped just blanketly calling people with different political viewpoints idiots.  Makes no one better & not productive. Unless you literally think we should live in a world where you can't be friends with someone who has different viewpoints.  Personally - I think that is a boring world and I don't believe things are black and white. 

Different people have different views and I need to respect that - as long as those views aren't fundamental extremist type of positions.  And no - I don't think every person who voted for Trump is an extremist - some certainly are, but many had there reasons and the fact that they voted for that individual does not make them a horrible person.  We will never get ourselves back as a country if we continue to have so many people who have basically put themselves in an echo chamber (it is literally the exact opposite of diversity and is scary).

Tony - I am not saying that is you - but this country is way too polarized and I hate absolute statements like this. The reality is, there were a lot of people who voted for Trump back in 2016 because well, they figured they had been stuck in their situation forever and maybe that situation had gotten worse and over decades they never saw it get better (Democrat, Republican...didn't matter).  So you know what - they decided they wanted to take a shot and go anti-establishment, because you know what, why not, nothing else had helped them (in their own perceived world).  I don't get why people can't empathize and respect that and instead just assume every single person who voted for Trump is a steaming pile of dog, poop.  Some absolutely are - but that is the human race and those people exist on both sides of the voting spectrum.    

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

It is hard to talk about COVID without getting political. Some think their rights are violated by being asked to wear a mask and have made it a political issue.

I do know that ignoring science and saying it will magically go away is not coming close to addressing the problem. Regardless, how to approach COVID should not be political. People are dying, and others are suffering due to a collapsing economy. Those  things are not political. We need a real consensus here, and we are not getting one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I was strictly talking about masks and COVID. Tex had quoted Dick who was talking about the President continuing to say “America” is rounding the corner and Tex responded with a line about some American’s feeling invigorated by Trump, which led to Balta’s comment, then mine. I’ll admit while it made sense in my head, that wouldn’t be clear to everyone. 

I’ll be more clear. No, not everyone who voted for Trump is an idiot. 

If you are “invigorated” by Trump’s feelings on COVID, aren’t wearing a mask and attending his rallies with thousands of others while we are hitting our highest daily positive testing numbers....you’re an idiot.

Fair enough - I agree with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1