COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

I think anti-vaxxers are among the most ill-informed people on the planet. 

that being said, this vaccine is going to be a tough sell, and I can’t say I would really blame anyone for being skeptical of a vaccine developed this quickly. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mqr said:

I think anti-vaxxers are among the most ill-informed people on the planet. 

that being said, this vaccine is going to be a tough sell, and I can’t say I would really blame anyone for being skeptical of a vaccine developed this quickly. 

There's a lot of intentional misinformation/propaganda efforts out there as well.

How sad. Listening to Trump used to only clean out your bank account. Now it can kill you.

A South Dakota ER nurse @JodiDoering says her Covid-19 patients often “don’t want to believe that Covid is real.” “Their last dying words are, ‘This can’t be happening. It’s not real.’ And when they should be... Facetiming their families, they’re filled with anger and hatred.”

• Thanks 2

WE have some good news. There's a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

The end of the tunnel is still a long, grueling slog away, though. Stay home, stay safe when you can. Wear your masks if you absolutely have to go out. We're back to opening emergency field hospitals. If you get sick or injured, COVID or otherwise, there may not be space for you. Doctors are going to be making some very tough decisions on who gets treatment and who doesn't.

Eventually we'll  get Covid 19 to every rural area.  It just takes time and commitment.  

I'm picturing the novel I am Legend.  There will be the last person on the planet that we'll need to infect. 

Covid fatigue is really hitting me. I'm dreading going into work today knowing I'll be wearing a mask for nine hours.  Sanitizing desks every 45 minutes.  Seeing people but not talking to them.  Using hand sanitizer so often I start worrying about OCD. 

I saw a report of RN talking about treating a Covid patient. Although he was in an ICU and was diagnosed with the disease, he denied having it. He asked the RN why she had protective equipment on.  This kind of denial is hard to deal with. And it is another reason that it was good that Trump was defeated. We don't need this stuff coming down from the top.

3 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I saw a report of RN talking about treating a Covid patient. Although he was in an ICU and was diagnosed with the disease, he denied having it. He asked the RN why she had protective equipment on.  This kind of denial is hard to deal with. And it is another reason that it was good that Trump was defeated. We don't need this stuff coming down from the top.

I believe this was the nurse in North Dakota.  She said that many people who are on their way out are dying angry and confused because they STILL believe the virus is fake 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That's just insanely sad.

Shifting lanes a bit, if there's a 95% effective vaccine, how do we know who it didn't work for? Is there just going to be a slight chance that any of us still get it, and when that happens, a slighter chance that we still die? Do we get it and toss our masks in the trash or is this the new normal? Do we eat at indoors restaurants freely and pack jetliners on our way to vacations? Do we go back to Mass and drink from the cup like before?

I'm happy to do whatever we need to do, but I'm also curious and totally unsure of what this looks like going forward.

1 minute ago, Danny Dravot said:

That's just insanely sad.

Shifting lanes a bit, if there's a 95% effective vaccine, how do we know who it didn't work for? Is there just going to be a slight chance that any of us still get it, and when that happens, a slighter chance that we still die? Do we get it and toss our masks in the trash or is this the new normal? Do we eat at indoors restaurants freely and pack jetliners on our way to vacations? Do we go back to Mass and drink from the cup like before?

I'm happy to do whatever we need to do, but I'm also curious and totally unsure of what this looks like going forward.

First step - here's a multi-paragraph post from yesterday that answers about 3/4 of that. Can answer the rest once you get through that.

7 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Just curious, since I've already had COVID and recovered, assuming this is somehow confirmed, should I not get the vaccine because I basically already have a form of it and the dose would be better spent on somebody else?

The vaccine immunity and the response to the virus itself may actually work in different ways or have different lifetimes in the body. This is a matter that you may want to consult your own doctor about eventually, next year, particularly as more data becomes available.

At the very least, if you know you have it, and are not in a group that is obviously at-risk, you should not race out for a dose in March or April. Eventually, the number of doses that will have to be manufactured will be in the billions - once that level has been accomplished, then perhaps there could be some reason to do so at that time.

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

November 17,2019 was the date of the first confirmed case of Covid 19 in China. Happy Birthday.

Sounds like it was months earlier than that. They have traced back to September in Italy.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing-idUSKBN27V0KF?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

FWIW, that's not necessarily what that means. That is an identification of possible antibodies, but antibodies for different coronaviruses can look similar in those tests. 4 samples is probably not enough to verify this claim. There was a similar report like that earlier this year, same set of responses.

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I believe this was the nurse in North Dakota.  She said that many people who are on their way out are dying angry and confused because they STILL believe the virus is fake 

This is frustrating. And it so hard to fight this disease when we can't come to a simple consensus about social distancing and mask wearing. Sometimes I wonder why Biden wanted to be president so bad. Things are only going to get tougher.

39 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Last night, Senator Sherrod Brown insisted that the Republicans on the Senate Floor needed to wear masks, and they refused, at a time when Senators and other Capitol Hill employees were on the floor, required to be there. Grassley was on the floor at the time.