COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

15 hours ago, The Beast said:

Not good, he’s no spring chicken either.

I don't understand such hostility on the Senate floor. A ton of politicians or people connected with the government  in DC have come down with the virus. Fortunately, there have been no deaths. Is that what will it take for these people to wake up? Masks are not comfortable. So what. It's time for these so-called leaders to grow up. 

36 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I don't understand such hostility on the Senate floor. A ton of politicians or people connected with the government  in DC have come down with the virus. Fortunately, there have been no deaths. Is that what will it take for these people to wake up? Masks are not comfortable. So what. It's time for these so-called leaders to grow up. 

Yes until there is death this virus is not a concern.  I wish I was joking but that to me is the reality I see in the world today.

15 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yes until there is death this virus is not a concern.  I wish I was joking but that to me is the reality I see in the world today.

You may be right about that, even though we just passed the 250,000 mark in deaths. Grassley says he is feeling all right, but he is 87 and that makes him vulnerable. The whole denial reaction to the virus is mind-boggling but very real. We see that it is not going away. I just hope we can get through the next months until the vaccine comes. But the vaccine won't solve everything.

1 hour ago, NWINFan said:

Depends on the mask, honestly. That classic blue medical one? Give it a couple of wears and the frayed threads start drifting into your mouth every time you talk. The straps tug at your ears. Eight to nine hours in one is dreadful. But I've been wearing a cloth mask for months and my wife, who's a big advocate of them, makes fun of me for forgetting to take it off after I come home.

31 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Depends on the mask, honestly. That classic blue medical one? Give it a couple of wears and the frayed threads start drifting into your mouth every time you talk. The straps tug at your ears. Eight to nine hours in one is dreadful. But I've been wearing a cloth mask for months and my wife, who's a big advocate of them, makes fun of me for forgetting to take it off after I come home.

As I've posted before, no mask is totally effective.  There's still a risk.  I will get the vaccine and continue to wear one anyway until things settle down.  I've golfed in a mask and played about as well as maskless.  I don't wear one when I'm out for a stroll, but there's one in the pocket if I get near people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

As I've posted before, no mask is totally effective.  There's still a risk.  I will get the vaccine and continue to wear one anyway until things settle down.  I've golfed in a mask and played about as well as maskless.  I don't wear one when I'm out for a stroll, but there's one in the pocket if I get near people.

What?  

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Its true.  A mask isn't going to be 100%.  Now it is a HUGE advantage over doing nothing, but totally effective isn't really possible with an ordinary mask.

I read it wrong, I read it as if he was saying "Not wearing a mask is totally effective" as opposed to "no single mask is totally effective"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I agree.  On top of that most don’t even get sick or know they have it.  So the damage is just not VISIBLE enough to scare everyone into their houses.  Some.  But generally no.  

What doesn't make sense is that if he really wanted to win in 2024, why wouldn't Trump do everything possible to get Emergency Use Authorization for the Moderna vaccine (and Pfizer, too) and start getting it distributed at the end of November?

I can see stalling or not doing anything on the stimulus, that's typical politics of not wanting to help someone of the opposite party coming into office (we haven't seen an incumbent lose since Bush in 1992.)

Instead of throwing a tantrum, Trump could at least make an argument that reopening the economy and betting on a vaccine was the optimal choice, and the timeline they've achieved (public/private partnerships without the WHO/China) would have beaten all but the most optimistic timelines from back in March/April/May about how long it would take to get a product out on the market and mass distributed.

He's obviously STILL going to spend the next four years trying to take credit for the vaccine, no matter how things would out ultimately with Covid-19 and the total death count, as well as the speculated-upon number of deaths that could have been avoided had he not thrown a child-like fit for the past 2+ weeks now.

1,956 deaths in the US yesterday

1,658 the day before

Edited by caulfield12

Been working on a TV show in the production office. Tonight, we got call from Disney and our execs that we had to shut down because of a very high number of positive test that came in. A number in the teens.

We get tested daily and still had a huge outbreak. Be safe. 

10 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The chefs kiss of this story is the part where they are forcing people to come in for maybe a 500 dollar bonus, while the high level managers do everything in their power to avoid going to the plant floor and get exposed, and ALSO lobbying the governor for liability protection.  

17 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The chefs kiss of this story is the part where they are forcing people to come in for maybe a 500 dollar bonus, while the high level managers do everything in their power to avoid going to the plant floor and get exposed, and ALSO lobbying the governor for liability protection.  

And then Mitch McConnell makes blocking employer liability his number 1 goal in any additional recovery acts. And then they write a bill where the employer could sue workers who complain.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-07-29/covid-employer-liability

a 60 year old woman in Brooklyn got beat up in an elevator by a young couple for asking them to wear a mask. Why is wearing a mask so hard? Why is it a transgression of your rights? No one seems to have a problem with people having to wear pants. Cavemen didn't have pants. Why doesn't that piss people off?

11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Horrible.  Yet,  how many of y'all are ready to hunt your own meat? This really highlights how vulnerable our food supply is.  They shouldn't have been working,  yet there would be riots in the streets if Tyson and the rest shut down.