COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Horrible.  Yet,  how many of y'all are ready to hunt your own meat? This really highlights how vulnerable our food supply is.  They shouldn't have been working,  yet there would be riots in the streets if Tyson and the rest shut down. 

So it's fine to you how it was handled

16 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

So it's fine to you how it was handled

As I wrote they shouldn't have been working. How does that translate to I think it was fine how it was handled? 

It highlights how vulnerable our food supply is. 

On 11/19/2020 at 7:00 AM, Kyyle23 said:

The chefs kiss of this story is the part where they are forcing people to come in for maybe a 500 dollar bonus, while the high level managers do everything in their power to avoid going to the plant floor and get exposed, and ALSO lobbying the governor for liability protection.  

And here is one of my biggest peeves about this Presidential administration.  If he wants to deem certain industries as essential, and demand that they go back to work in the most dangerous working conditions in a century, his obligation to those workers has only begun.  At that point, that designation needs to open up the power and checkbook of the federal government to do whatever it takes to make that work environment as safe as possible,  It shouldn't just be just buy yourself a mask and good luck. if the feds are deeming meatpacking essential, what are they doing to treat the workers like they are also essential lives.  There are things we know and have learned about this virus that allow us to alter a worksite to make it much safer, but that costs money and resources, many that these businesses don't necessarily have.  If President Trump wants to tell these people that their jobs are more important than their lives, I have a major problem with that. He is knowingly and willingly sentencing people to death, when with either an executive order, or by working with Congress, he could keep them alive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

And here is one of my biggest peeves about this Presidential administration.  If he wants to deem certain industries as essential, and demand that they go back to work in the most dangerous working conditions in a century, his obligation to those workers has only begun.  At that point, that designation needs to open up the power and checkbook of the federal government to do whatever it takes to make that work environment as safe as possible,  It shouldn't just be just buy yourself a mask and good luck. if the feds are deeming meatpacking essential, what are they doing to treat the workers like they are also essential lives.  There are things we know and have learned about this virus that allow us to alter a worksite to make it much safer, but that costs money and resources, many that these businesses don't necessarily have.  If President Trump wants to tell these people that their jobs are more important than their lives, I have a major problem with that. He is knowingly and willingly sentencing people to death, when with either an executive order, or by working with Congress, he could keep them alive.

Remember, the Senate GOP's core requirement for any further relief bill is full legal immunity for businesses.

25 minutes ago, Texsox said:

As I wrote they shouldn't have been working. How does that translate to I think it was fine how it was handled? 

It highlights how vulnerable our food supply is. 

Because you follow it with "yet...." as if there was not much that can be done because we are protecting food supply and the next step after closing the plant for a COVID incident is everyone hunts their own food. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

They could have allowed for comp claims but instead they want to ban all claims or suits. So much for essential workers. 

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Happy Covidsgiving!

What is the starting point - like what is the current risk of getting it?  I know that depends on the region.  I know its a lot higher today almost everywhere in the country than it has been at almost any time during the pandemic.  

Like are current %'s 5% and so now that increases 75% in a group of 25 people or more so now I have a 8.75% chance?  I'm genuinely curious as a stat guy.  

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Because you follow it with "yet...." as if there was not much that can be done because we are protecting food supply and the next step after closing the plant for a COVID incident is everyone hunts their own food. 

The modern manufactured  food chain makes us very vulnerable.  Forcing people to work in unsafe conditions is inhumane and wrong.  It doesn't matter if the factory makes tires or chicken parts.  

Home gardens are non existant or too small for practical food production.  People deplore hunting while buying tomahawk ribeyes from the grocery store.  We've placed ourselves in a very vulnerable condition. 

5 hours ago, Texsox said:

The modern manufactured  food chain makes us very vulnerable.  Forcing people to work in unsafe conditions is inhumane and wrong.  It doesn't matter if the factory makes tires or chicken parts.  

Home gardens are non existant or too small for practical food production.  People deplore hunting while buying tomahawk ribeyes from the grocery store.  We've placed ourselves in a very vulnerable condition. 

Great news from Tech Times. You can grow steak from your own cells. Imagine the demand for a Megan Fox steak. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

What is the starting point - like what is the current risk of getting it?  I know that depends on the region.  I know its a lot higher today almost everywhere in the country than it has been at almost any time during the pandemic.  

Like are current %'s 5% and so now that increases 75% in a group of 25 people or more so now I have a 8.75% chance?  I'm genuinely curious as a stat guy.  

1. The risk of catching it if someone who is positive is in the room with you is not 100%. It depends on how long you're in there, whether people are masked, ventilation, air flow paths, unknowns like how much virus you personally would need to inhale to catch it.

2. What we can say is...assume the virus is distributed randomly amongst the population in your county, based on number of known cases (likely underestimated because there are so many cases). Select a random group of x number of people. What are the odds someone in that group has it? Note that this is guaranteed to be an underestimate. 

You can play that statistical game here. In Orange County, if you have 25 people in a room, there is an 8.7% chance that someone in the room has/will be soon diagnosed with the virus right now. https://sites.google.com/compassfortcollins.org/coronavirusrisk/home

On 11/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I agree with this totally. This is not a time to worry about government regulations. This is a time to force any employer to make the work place as safe as possible. Many of us have taken risks when working in dangerous environments, but there shouldn't be out and out negligence. Secondly, no one should directly profit from this crisis. It amazes me that some blue collar workers identify so strongly with Trump when it is obvious that he doesn't care about them.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:25 AM, StrangeSox said:

I'm going to bump my estimate to 3.5k/day by Christmas

A lot of my posts refer to common sense and people freak out at me for using common sense instead of numbers that I don't always believe. The fact that O'Hare has regular lines with no attempt at social distancing is troublesome and ridiculous. Look folks, we need to look big picture here. We need to reduce situations in which large numbers of people are packed into areas for a period of time. Restaurants and beauty salons and family dinners are not the problem. Get the family members tested before Tgiving celebration; make sure the stores and salons and restaurants are clean and distancing and doing the right thing.

But air travel? Cmon. Long lines for the holiday to get through security. People packed together as they put their items hurriedly in the bins. People using the restrooms. People boarding the plane in each others' faces as they put their stuff in the overhead. People removing masks during the flight when nobody's looking at them, transmission of the virus for the 2.5 hours the flight is in the air? Cmon, common sense tells me the WHOLE travel experience is about the most dangerous of all regarding COVID no matter what the experts say (yes the experts can be as corrupt as everybody else).

Travel, protests, yes Trump rallies, political protests and celebrations, nightly marching/rioting, these are ALL hotbeds for COVID. How do I know?? Common sense. The federal government if it really wanted to get rid of COVID would consider shutting down the travel industry for a bit. Can't do that? Fine, but don't pretend traveling via air is safe from COVID these days. Folks, most of us at least have a grade school education. Common sense tells me eating in a restaurant yesterday with somebody  in which my table was not near anybody else's (we both wore masks, but yes I was concerned; I had to go and risk it hadn't seen this person in years so yes I risked it sadly) is much less dangerous than fricking travel.

You don't hear a lot about airport travel just as you don't hear a lot about the protests as being spreaders. Sorry for the ramble. That picture of the lines at O'Hare are appalling to me and I had to comment. Thanksgiving dinners of 10 people aren't the problem if attacked correctly; my eyes tell me airport travel is a big problem!!

p.s. And I watched some of OSU-OU football on TV. Some stadiums you see on TV have about 5000 to 10000 fans and it looks distanced and fairly safe. Why not let 10000 people in a stadium that seats 75000? But OU-OSU and last week's ND game looked almost normal, like many pockets of the stadium had people all crammed together. My common sense meter? PROBLEMATIC. Moreso than testing 10 family members and gobbling up a turkey Thursday!

Edited by greg775