COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Quarantined at home for two weeks because a coworker tested positive.  We were about 5 feet from each other for about 20 minutes (both wearing masks).  I know the chances of catching it are low, but now I sweat every cough, sneeze, sniffle...essentially if I don’t feel 100% I get nervous.

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Still quite encouraging.  Now there are three vaccines with 70%+ effectiveness based on trials.  Six months ago, a year ago, this was probably a dream scenario.

Also many countries did not have a backup if Astrozaneca didn’t work. 

15 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

In the last 24 hours, 2 separate and completely unconnected people I know have died from Covid.

That is scary. I had the same experience. There are 2 people I casually know, one through work, and one is my cousin’s wife’s sisters’ husband who I would see every Christmas Eve, both died of Covid last Wednesday. Now, with one of our doorman being one of the first to succumb, I know 3 of the victims who didn’t make it. One was in his 60s. The others were in their 40s.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Still quite encouraging.  Now there are three vaccines with 70%+ effectiveness based on trials.  Six months ago, a year ago, this was probably a dream scenario.

If I understood Dr. Murphy on WGN this morning, it's kinda a weird result. If they gave people the full dose first and then the booster dose, it was only 60%. But there was a subset of 3000 participants that got a half dose first and then the full dose, and this group had 90% effective. When you combine the two, that's where you get the 70%. He had never heard of a vaccine like that before, but AZ/Oxford obviously had some preliminary research that made them think to try this.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:47 PM, StrangeSox said:

Thanksgiving travel down a whopping 10%

Airports packed

Hospitals across the country filling up and medical professionals reaching their breaking points

We'll have several thousand deaths every single day by Christmas.

In the absence of strong laws being put in place and enforced, people have to use common sense and be responsible.  Just because it is allowed doesn't mean you should do it. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

In the absence of strong laws being put in place and enforced, people have to use common sense and be responsible.  Just because it is allowed doesn't mean you should do it. 

The lack of common sense has hurt us. Strong laws are hard to enforce when people get hostile about just wearing a mask. My family's Thanksgiving will be much different this year, and I am not travelling anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I would love somebody to explain to me how traveling on a plane could possibly not be a superspreader. People are sitting close together!!! Planes are disgusting and so are airports.

I wonder if anyone else saw the Covid story on 60 Minutes Sunday night. It was people who really didn’t get it bad enough to be hospitalized, but are still feeling the effects now. Personal Trainers, they had a marathon runner who can barely walk 2 blocks almost 8 months after she fought the virus. One patients balance is so off, she can barely stand. All tests come back normal. They really don’t exactly know what the issue is. They do know it isn’t mental as one of the doctors is going through it as well. They think it could be their immune systems either haven’t slowed down or were so turned up, they damaged cells in their organs. They also think there may be microscopic blood clots in their brains which apparently can’t be seen until they are autopsied, and other organs. It is scary. Makes me wonder if Moncada has this issue.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I would love somebody to explain to me how traveling on a plane could possibly not be a superspreader. 

It totally is and nobody has said it isn't.

Are you reading posts from your alternate universe that nobody else can see again?

Edited by Iwritecode

5 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Well I meant nobody here said it.

FWIW, standing in crowds at a terminal waiting for security/boarding is likely notably worse. On the plane, there is a controlled airflow path with fairly high air movement rates. In a crowd, anything you breathe out just settles on the rest of the crowd.