COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

My nephew has contracted the virus and his fever soared to 104. He is really a great guy, but something tells me he didn't take this seriously enough. His 10 year-old son has it as well. Hey, conspiracy believers: This is real, very real. Put on a damn mask, and stop moaning like crybaby Trump.

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Sure am glad we've come to a bipartisan compromise that companies can't be held liable for negligently endangering people, and also no stimulus checks.

That's a really small price to pay for what would be in that bill, especially when faced with the much higher possibility of nothing passing.

Legal action for "negligence" was a really large hoop to jump through and offered very little relief, whereas the other stuff on here provides huge relief to many.

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's a really small price to pay for what would be in that bill, especially when faced with the much higher possibility of nothing passing.

Legal action for "negligence" was a really large hoop to jump through and offered very little relief, whereas the other stuff on here provides huge relief to many.

The other stuff is good even if it's not enough, but it clearly shows where the priorities of a lot of the ruling class are. The economic divide has been made that much worse by COVID, and we're responding with policy measures that'll only continue to deepen it.

edit: it's really just a lament that the structure of our government ensures that we can't have nice things

Edited by StrangeSox

So my sister-in-law is positive. They haven't tested her, but they assume my young niece to be as well. I genuinely hope they get better ASAP.

That said, her FB post announcing this situation goes on to talk all about how we need to wear masks, and do our parts, and how she did everything right and STILL got it, you guys. The next post on her feed is her gloating about the professional family photos they had done (all of five days ago), where her parents and her siblings and their spouses and children are all present, unmasked, standing nut-to-butt.

My family Thanksgiving was prepared entirely by my wife and served to the two of us and our children in our dining room. No one else came over at all. We had a brief pizza night with her folks the day before where we all wore masks properly and constantly (try keeping a mask on a three year old), sitting in different parts of the house to safely eat. My children scream and sob when visits to the grandparents are so abbreviated, but it is what it is. Other than school and two total visits with the grandparents, my children haven't been in another building other than our house since March.

By all means, take this pandemic seriously. My family has been. But don't be a FaceBook harpy about how we all have to do our duty while you are clearly not doing yours.

8 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Sure am glad we've come to a bipartisan compromise that companies can't be held liable for negligently endangering people, and also no stimulus checks.

McConnell is now reverting on this and going with only the failed GOP one.

3 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

So my sister-in-law is positive. They haven't tested her, but they assume my young niece to be as well. I genuinely hope they get better ASAP.

That said, her FB post announcing this situation goes on to talk all about how we need to wear masks, and do our parts, and how she did everything right and STILL got it, you guys. The next post on her feed is her gloating about the professional family photos they had done (all of five days ago), where her parents and her siblings and their spouses and children are all present, unmasked, standing nut-to-butt.

My family Thanksgiving was prepared entirely by my wife and served to the two of us and our children in our dining room. No one else came over at all. We had a brief pizza night with her folks the day before where we all wore masks properly and constantly (try keeping a mask on a three year old), sitting in different parts of the house to safely eat. My children scream and sob when visits to the grandparents are so abbreviated, but it is what it is. Other than school and two total visits with the grandparents, my children haven't been in another building other than our house since March.

By all means, take this pandemic seriously. My family has been. But don't be a FaceBook harpy about how we all have to do our duty while you are clearly not doing yours.

I'm guilty of being inconsistent.  My job puts me at risk that I try to mitigate as best as possible. I'm rarely without a mask,  but there is one restaurant I will dine in at.  I am careful to keep my distance from strangers but my assistant coach is basically in my family. I am wearing a mask during practice but my players are not and I'm close for more than a few minutes.  I few months back I visited a winery and enjoyed a few glasses of wine and food but stayed 15 to 20 feet away from anyone. My theater group is performing but in my roll I'm wearing a mask and keeping my distance.  "Family" extends to my kid's spouse's families as well.  I'm getting haircuts but not as often as I usually would. I've picked up books from the library because I trust the head librarian than the books have been quarantined. 

Bottom line for the last three weeks we've had at least one student each day test positive, today we had two.  One of my players has symptoms and is self quarantining while waiting on a test. With all the risks at work what I do personally doesn't seem as risky if I could work from home. 

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm guilty of being inconsistent.  My job puts me at risk that I try to mitigate as best as possible. I'm rarely without a mask,  but there is one restaurant I will dine in at.  I am careful to keep my distance from strangers but my assistant coach is basically in my family. I am wearing a mask during practice but my players are not and I'm close for more than a few minutes.  I few months back I visited a winery and enjoyed a few glasses of wine and food but stayed 15 to 20 feet away from anyone. My theater group is performing but in my roll I'm wearing a mask and keeping my distance.  "Family" extends to my kid's spouse's families as well.  I'm getting haircuts but not as often as I usually would. I've picked up books from the library because I trust the head librarian than the books have been quarantined. 

Bottom line for the last three weeks we've had at least one student each day test positive, today we had two.  One of my players has symptoms and is self quarantining while waiting on a test. With all the risks at work what I do personally doesn't seem as risky if I could work from home. 

I think everybody is at least somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes I drink my soda at my desk and leave my mask off between sips. I’ve dined IN a restaurant twice since March, and one other time I ate on the patio). My office is in a hotel and I often grab dinner at the bar, but I only order at the bar. I sit in the dark empty restaurant and eat totally alone. If I pull up to the drive through window or the grocery store online pickup area, I’m masked. When I drop off the kid at daycare, I’m masked (they don’t let us inside- a worker scans my daughter’s temp and takes her while I sign her in). I’ve gotten relatively consistent haircuts but that’s because it’s required for me- I hold the mask over my face while they go around the ears and then I reattach while they do the rest.

This new normal is weird. I don’t expect anyone to be perfect. We all slip up sometimes, but many of us try. I believe in this but I’m not a nag about it either. Saw two rednecks at Kroger today who weren’t wearing masks at all- did I confront them? Nope, I stayed way the fuck away. I’m not harping about it on FB. Didn’t post anything after I caught the bug back in July.

My SIL just takes it a new level with the amount of online preachiness (this is far from her only COVID post) in combination with everything else on her feed, which show behavior totally adverse to her other soliloquys.

11 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

I think everybody is at least somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes I drink my soda at my desk and leave my mask off between sips. I’ve dined IN a restaurant twice since March, and one other time I ate on the patio). My office is in a hotel and I often grab dinner at the bar, but I only order at the bar. I sit in the dark empty restaurant and eat totally alone. If I pull up to the drive through window or the grocery store online pickup area, I’m masked. When I drop off the kid at daycare, I’m masked (they don’t let us inside- a worker scans my daughter’s temp and takes her while I sign her in). I’ve gotten relatively consistent haircuts but that’s because it’s required for me- I hold the mask over my face while they go around the ears and then I reattach while they do the rest.

This new normal is weird. I don’t expect anyone to be perfect. We all slip up sometimes, but many of us try. I believe in this but I’m not a nag about it either. Saw two rednecks at Kroger today who weren’t wearing masks at all- did I confront them? Nope, I stayed way the fuck away. I’m not harping about it on FB. Didn’t post anything after I caught the bug back in July.

My SIL just takes it a new level with the amount of online preachiness (this is far from her only COVID post) in combination with everything else on her feed, which show behavior totally adverse to her other soliloquys.

My restaurant situation is similar.  I know everyone by name there and it's 99% take out.  Plus he sanitizes like crazy between customers, his business depends in it.  

Most of our shows are at a hotel banquet facility and I see the steps they are taking to stay safe,  and I'm comfortable enough there to perform. 

20 hours ago, Danny Dravot said:

My ire has long been directed at leaders. 

The response has been fucked at the top. If you go do stupid shit, yes, you're an idiot, but I don't think I can be mad at individual decisions when there are 15 different messages from leaders and a message of " who cares" at the very top. We're on the bus from Speed with no one at the wheel. 

10 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

fuck these ghouls.  Every one of them 

And now Biden is supporting the $980 billion bipartisan bill. Can a deal be had? What’s another $200-$300 billion in direct payments for those who need it most? 

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Breaking records. No one thought it could be done. People are dying at rates no one ever thought possible. Trump should be proud. 

I thought Don Jr. told everyone to go to his instagram page, (it's probably another grift, he probably gets paid for the hits) where he has information no one is dying anymore. Probably just fake news. 

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Breaking records. No one thought it could be done. People are dying at rates no one ever thought possible. Trump should be proud. 

I thought Don Jr. told everyone to go to his instagram page, (it's probably another grift, he probably gets paid for the hits) where he has information no one is dying anymore. Probably just fake news. 

Earlier in the year, Trump said that if he kept the death rate between 100,000 and 250,000, he would be doing a good job. First of all, that is some range. Secondly, the death is nearing 275,000 and is climbing. I guess he didn't do such a good job. Tell me again, why 72 million voted for this lunatic and why people are threatening violence in GA over a scandal that doesn't exist. It can't be because he was doing a job. By his own standards, he has done horse shit and continues to do so. So let's throw money his way. That will help.

28 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Earlier in the year, Trump said that if he kept the death rate between 100,000 and 250,000, he would be doing a good job. First of all, that is some range. Secondly, the death is nearing 275,000 and is climbing. I guess he didn't do such a good job. Tell me again, why 72 million voted for this lunatic and why people are threatening violence in GA over a scandal that doesn't exist. It can't be because he was doing a job. By his own standards, he has done horse shit and continues to do so. So let's throw money his way. That will help.

If you remember when the task force meetings first started, the number of deaths was going to be 60,000. I remember Trump saying it probably would be less maybe 50,000. He's doing such a great job, he's getting calls from all over the world. The enemy of the people, truth tellers,, be damned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

If you remember when the task force meetings first started, the number of deaths was going to be 60,000. I remember Trump saying it probably would be less maybe 50,000. He's doing such a great job, he's getting calls from all over the world. The enemy of the people, truth tellers,, be damned.

It was 15 cases, that were going to be gone quick.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

It was 15 cases, that were going to be gone quick.

China and President Xi have also been doing a great job. Very transparent.

China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!