COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

With hospitals and nursing homes receiving $25,000 per Covid death the deaths here are getting over reported. 🙈🙉🙊 

Congrats to Trump and the FDA whose efforts will provide vaccines to our country in short order. 

• Haha 1

Fantastic news on Moderna. If it really is preventing infection and thus spread, that's so much better than just preventing disease. Pfizer's vaccine uses the same platform and similar spike protein target, but I don't think they've released any data one way or the other on that.

But man, this bipartisan relief bill looks brutal. Hardly any new stimulus, but strong corporate liability, waiving OSHA FLSA and CRA, and allowing $50k fines for any lawsuits deemed frivolous.

On 12/14/2020 at 2:26 PM, Texsox said:

With hospitals and nursing homes receiving $25,000 per Covid death the deaths here are getting over reported. 🙈🙉🙊 

It is happening everywhere. It is in the hospital I work at. At one point they were testing the decreased more than the living to attempt to make it a COVID death regardless of the cause of death.

23 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It is happening everywhere. It is in the hospital I work at. At one point they were testing the decreased more than the living to attempt to make it a COVID death regardless of the cause of death.

That sounds incredibly fake. Where would the $25K even come from?

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is a medicare only thing.  You have to understand how medicare billing works versus how typically billing works.  

I know about the medicare thing. I've argued with a lot of people about that. Medicare pays an extra 20% for covid patients because, surprisingly, it costs more to take care of them.

But the post specifically said "$25,000 per covid death" and ptatc didn't mention the hospital only testing dead people that had medicare. So I was curious if some new conspiracy theory was going around or if this is just an off-shoot of the original claiming that hospitals are upping the covid death counts on purpose to scare everyone or whatever.

Edited by Iwritecode

5 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I know about the medicare thing. I've argued with a lot of people about that. Medicare pays an extra 20% for covid patients because, surprisingly, it cost more to take care of them.

But the post specifically said "$25,000 per covid death" and ptatc didn't mention the hospital only testing dead people that had medicare. So I was curious of some new conspiracy theory was going around or if this is just an off-shoot of the original claiming that hospitals are upping the covid death counts on purpose to scare everyone or whatever.

It isn't even real as it relates to deaths.  Only care.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-hospital-labeling-deaths-as-covid-19-to-get-more-money-false/285-59d9c90f-ddb9-4dba-bcb1-b90d7324ab75

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

That sounds incredibly fake. Where would the $25K even come from?

I'm not sure of the exact dollar amount. That wasn't proposed by me. However, I know the hospital received extra money for COVID deaths. This was all earlier in the Fall when I was doing the pro bono at the hospital because they needed extra help. Now they are laying off people due to the medicare 9% cuts coming in the new year.

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

I know about the medicare thing. I've argued with a lot of people about that. Medicare pays an extra 20% for covid patients because, surprisingly, it costs more to take care of them.

But the post specifically said "$25,000 per covid death" and ptatc didn't mention the hospital only testing dead people that had medicare. So I was curious if some new conspiracy theory was going around or if this is just an off-shoot of the original claiming that hospitals are upping the covid death counts on purpose to scare everyone or whatever.

I wasn't aware it was medicare only, just that it was happening. 

Then there’s the question of whether people will take the vaccine. In America, the number of people willing to get the vaccine — 60% — isn’t high enough to achieve herd immunity, the point at which a virus effectively stops spreading. (Herd immunity requires 85% of the population to be vaccinated.) That means that Covid will effectively become a seasonal flu. Think about that for a second: Covid is going to go permanent in America because millions of Americans are that stupid. Britain will probably end up the same way, for several years at least. Europe is in a better position, because Europeans, who trust their institutions more, will probably get vaccinated to herd immunity levels within the next twelve months.

So we’ll see a range of sharply divergent Covid outcomes in Western countries.

America, which has fared the worst, done shockingly badly, will probably go on doing shockingly badly. Not only will not enough Americans take the vaccine to reach herd immunity, but American politics, which puts the idea of free-dumb first, probably isn’t going to make the vaccine mandatory. Add to that the fact that people will probably have to pay for it, whereas it’ll be free in every other Western country. And you quickly understand that Covid will likely become a permanent dystopian feature of American life, another thing that people have to suffer there that they don’t elsewhere, like school shootings and “medical bankruptcy.” America’s Red States will probably be Covid Belts permanently. America will probably never beat Covid.

https://eand.co/the-west-thinks-its-beaten-covid-but-covid-is-still-beating-the-west-9ed91a05f88a

10 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

Wow, that was very nice of them 😜.

2020 has really brought out the worst in us.

There is gallows humor in every industry I've worked in and I suspect it happens everywhere. It's a coping mechanism. My ex wife worked ERs. 

"How's he doing? "

"Pass the bible, he's studying for the final"

Oue the hospitality industry in Texas in March. 

"What's the over/ under on Spring Break deaths this year"?

Trying to laugh at something we can't handle has been around forever,  it's like whistling past the graveyard. We just aren't suppose to say it out loud anymore. 

From the reports I read management a couple steps above them put in place a horrible situation that these managers had to manage. Those bets seem more like bitter irony than indifference to me. But I don't know them. This seems like upper management trying to cover their decisions that put feeding people and profits over worker safety.