COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ugh thank god. Yeah Jewel has the easiest site to just monitor but probably why it goes so quick. Glad you got one, assuming you did two-shot?

Yes I am doing the two shot.   

As I said.  If I was a healthy person I would take anything available.  

Edited by southsideirish71

7 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Yes I am doing the two shot.   

As I said.  If I was a healthy person I would take anything available.  

I think ultimately J&J will end up getting approved for a booster. But right now I hope US just gets as many people covered as possible, but I did think it was interesting IL giving J&J to the United center which is targeting 65+. Perfect world moderna/pfizer goes to older/high risk, but every time they try to target too well it slows things to a crawl.

22 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think ultimately J&J will end up getting approved for a booster. But right now I hope US just gets as many people covered as possible, but I did think it was interesting IL giving J&J to the United center which is targeting 65+. Perfect world moderna/pfizer goes to older/high risk, but every time they try to target too well it slows things to a crawl.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

The ironic thing is that this will be like a flu vaccine.  You will need a yearly one and it will get updated for any variants.  The idea that people have that this is a one-shot and it's over is mistaken.  This will become regular maintenance.  

10 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

This seems... not smart.

It is very frustrating partly because it has been clear since last summer that there are no "regional hot spots". If it gets hot somewhere, it's going to get hot again elsewhere. 

So close too, just wait one month and it could be so much better.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is very frustrating partly because it has been clear since last summer that there are no "regional hot spots". If it gets hot somewhere, it's going to get hot again elsewhere. 

I wonder if the sports leagues will pressure the teams to keep attendance limited. I figured they would be first to go 100% but realistically thought mid-April or May. (by realistically doesn't mean I think that is when things should be 100% anywhere, I just thought that was when the first state would go 100%)

Edited by SoxFan562004

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

What I'm most disappointed about is he didn't allow counties any flexibility. We have counties where cattle outnumber people 10,000 to 1. They have different needs than counties with huge cities. Ignoring those differences was stupid a year ago and stupid now. 

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yup, just had to wait one more month and I bet nobody would have complained about opening up. Now I gotta deal with people not wearing masks cause the governor said so. 🙄

Houston also has all of the major known variants circulating. Only city in the country where they have all been confirmed.

If a person gets exposed to more than one at once, it can lead to genetic exchange between them in that persons body and produce a hybrid with the properties of both. So the extra resistance of the Brazilian and South African mutants combined with the longer asymptomatic spread time of the British one sounds like a fun thing to try.

Its almost like he is going out of his way to be stupid.  

This kind of shit is going to keep this thing around for a while.   The same people who support this shit are not going to get vaccinated because it's the flu after all.  

Here in my wife school district the parents want the school opened up 5 days a week, full time without any restrictions.  They are now complaining that the kids have to wear masks.  

For those people I have a shirt. 

rick-and-morty-you-are-a-piece-of-shit-a

• Like 2

I wasn't surprised that we have an all school meeting tomorrow morning. We've been told we're continuing to follow the same protocols but that all could change tomorrow morning. 

On 3/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, southsideirish71 said:

Walgreens has a nice glitch right now.  They show you vaccine availability then don't allow you to get the first shot because the second one cant be scheduled.  It's frustrating. 

Their website's biffed up, for sure.  Mrs. Stanky and I got scheduled for Tuesday (today) on Saturday at 6 AM when they put the openings up, but our second shots are at different (but closeby) stores than the first.  I got the Moderna jab and no adverse reaction 9 hours later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I wasn't surprised that we have an all school meeting tomorrow morning. We've been told we're continuing to follow the same protocols but that all could change tomorrow morning. 

My companies HQ just moved to Westlake, awaiting what they are going to do, but my best bet is they'll use large offices in other states to say they'll just follow an enterprise wide back to the office plan. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

the important thing is some libs have been owned, i think

• Thanks 1

I am in the first group prioritized for the vaccine. Can I direct my search to make certain I get the J&J which I prefer ?  As I recall,the Will County site and the Meijer's site that I registered at did not give me a choice.  I know I should take what I can get but I don't want to if I don't have to. 

2 hours ago, tray said:

I am in the first group prioritized for the vaccine. Can I direct my search to make certain I get the J&J which I prefer ?  As I recall,the Will County site and the Meijer's site that I registered at did not give me a choice.  I know I should take what I can get but I don't want to if I don't have to. 

Jewel gives you the option of a two dose shot or the one dose.

So on the J&J vaccine - I just want to make sure I'm following all the data.  Long story short - should I think of it this way - yeah - I'm more likely to get symptomatic COVID with the J&J vaccine vs. the Moderna/Pfizer options - however, I have equal protection against death/hospitalizations between any of the shots. So said another way - all 3 are equally effective at keeping me out of the hospital or worse off dead - but with the J&J one I have a higher probability of having a mild case of COVID?  

If I am saying that right - why can't the freaking press and dr's just say it that clear.  There is no denying which is better - but isn't the reality all 3 are pretty amazing outcomes when you focus on the most important part of why we are in this shutdown to begin with - people dying / getting severe illness that is hospitalizing them.  

4 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So on the J&J vaccine - I just want to make sure I'm following all the data.  Long story short - should I think of it this way - yeah - I'm more likely to get symptomatic COVID with the J&J vaccine vs. the Moderna/Pfizer options - however, I have equal protection against death/hospitalizations between any of the shots. So said another way - all 3 are equally effective at keeping me out of the hospital or worse off dead - but with the J&J one I have a higher probability of having a mild case of COVID?  

If I am saying that right - why can't the freaking press and dr's just say it that clear.  There is no denying which is better - but isn't the reality all 3 are pretty amazing outcomes when you focus on the most important part of why we are in this shutdown to begin with - people dying / getting severe illness that is hospitalizing them.  

No doubt the perception of J&J is a full 1/2 tier below.... minus the unique refrigeration conditions for the other two leaders in terms of efficacy.   The J&J is closer to the roughly 70~80% effectiveness range? 

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Couple things I think will help that I think/hope we'll know by summer:

- Nobody in public health is capable of saying whether you can take multiple different vaccines. It seems weird that it would really be an issue. But there are studies now on mixing/matching different vaccines running. Basically if it come out that, yes this new moderna booster for the SA variant works, the J&J/Pfizer group can also take that, vs are you locked in for some reason. I think a "you can take the other one later when there is more" may ease some of this concern.

- Eventually J&J will get results out on a two-dose which I would bet heavily will put it on a tier much closer to the pfizer/moderna vaccines. We have gotten releases from moderna or pfizer, can't remember, that those are also effective as one-dose. Really was just a choice by J&J to get to EUA as a one-dose, they did, it's a big deal, but showed it as less effective. It will probably be helped by a booster just like the others, so it will help when they can put that study out.

And whichever one gets out their youth studies first will benefit.

I get the concern from people, mainly around the variants. With that unknown you probably want to work on the highest baseline (see south africa ditching AZ), but AZ has still shown how valuable it is in the UK. And J&J still held up pretty well against the SA strain with 57% efficacy (compared to 70% overall).

Long story short - hopefully the messaging to take what you can get now works, and gets improved when they can say "and you can get the other ones later"

The key with the vaccines and which one you'd ultimately want, right now Fauci and other health officials are saying take whatever vaccine is available to you.  They all greatly reduce risk of hospitalization and death.

I saw an interesting tidbit on the news the other day when they were talking about appointments being cancelled/postponed, specially in the wake of the severe weather.  Health officials are now saying you can get your second shot of Pfizer/Moderna up to 6 weeks after your first shot.  My guess is that ultimately they'll find that a person could go significantly longer between shots.

Every day, we learn more about the virus and about the vaccines.

24 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The key with the vaccines and which one you'd ultimately want, right now Fauci and other health officials are saying take whatever vaccine is available to you.  They all greatly reduce risk of hospitalization and death.

I saw an interesting tidbit on the news the other day when they were talking about appointments being cancelled/postponed, specially in the wake of the severe weather.  Health officials are now saying you can get your second shot of Pfizer/Moderna up to 6 weeks after your first shot.  My guess is that ultimately they'll find that a person could go significantly longer between shots.

Every day, we learn more about the virus and about the vaccines.

Yeah, there was that study with AZ a few weeks ago showing that people that got shot 2 six weeks later were in the 80% efficacy whereas prior it was 60. J&J booster in 5-6 months may be the most effective.