COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So on the J&J vaccine - I just want to make sure I'm following all the data.  Long story short - should I think of it this way - yeah - I'm more likely to get symptomatic COVID with the J&J vaccine vs. the Moderna/Pfizer options - however, I have equal protection against death/hospitalizations between any of the shots. So said another way - all 3 are equally effective at keeping me out of the hospital or worse off dead - but with the J&J one I have a higher probability of having a mild case of COVID?  

If I am saying that right - why can't the freaking press and dr's just say it that clear.  There is no denying which is better - but isn't the reality all 3 are pretty amazing outcomes when you focus on the most important part of why we are in this shutdown to begin with - people dying / getting severe illness that is hospitalizing them.  

1. Johnson and Johnson didn’t quite report their data in the same way as the other tests, that has made it difficult for the press to do a straight comparison.

2. J&J was tested at a time when there were more variants running around, that likely also, which may well have increased the number of individuals who showed mild illness symptoms.

3. J&J seems to take longer after the shot to see the full effect. This could well be because they all take 28 days, but with Pfizer and Moderna you’ve got a second shot beforehand. This, hard to compare the numbers cleanly.

4. People with mild symptoms can almost certainly still transmit the virus, so we can’t just say that having the vaccine means you are perfectly in the clear to go around maskless until everyone around you also has had the vaccine. If you have the vaccine then go to a lot of restaurants maskless because you’re safe, your chances of picking the virus up rise, and if the rest of your household is unvaccinated, you could create an easy cluster, undermining the effect of the vaccine.

5. All 3 of these existing and being produced in enough volume for everyone in 15 months after this starts is a fucking triumph of science.

6. Get whatever shot in your arm as soon as you can.

7. One of the last remaining risks is that because vaccines are out and cases are coming down after XMas, states will open things up, declare masks unnecessary, enough people will refuse the vaccine or be unable to get it to allow the virus to continue circulating,  and we will combine and evolve the current variants out there into something that is strongly resistant and easily transmitted. Doing things like that at a government level is like hanging 3 straight curveballs to Abreu, you are just hoping nothing bad happens. Considering how many a**hole governors are already doing exactly that, the press and scientists can’t just say “we won!” because the fight isn’t over yet. 

All 3 are amazing outcomes, but backing off masking restrictions right now is like bringing in Rodon with a 1 run lead in the 8th inning and 2 runners on, with Bummer and Hendricks sitting there unused, because some guy behind the dugout yelled “this game is ova!” So the effort scientists could be spending on saying “please everyone get this ASAP” is being spent saying “please Texas stop trying to help the virus”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

J&J’s efficacy rate falls short compared to those of Pfizer (PFE) and Moderna (MRNA). Johnson and Johnson’s vaccine is 72% in preventing moderate-to-severe COVID-19 in the U.S., compared to Pfizer and Moderna’s efficacy rates of 95% and 94%, respectively, in preventing symptomatic disease.

But don’t let the headline numbers discourage you, as it is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine was found to be 85% effective against severe COVID, similar to Moderna and Pfizer.

Despite production delays, Johnson & Johnson does have an edge over Pfizer and Moderna when it comes to distribution. One big advantage is that Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine can be stored in a refrigerator for up to three months, compared to Pfizer and Moderna vaccines which must be stored at freezing temperatures.

“I think it's incredible news for all of us… There are many advantages to a single-shot vaccine that can be stored in much warmer temperatures,” said Hathi.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/johnson-and-johnson-single-dose-vaccine-is-absolutely-a-game-changer-vaccinations-to-pick-up-171204467.html

24 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

How is that not a Federal crime?

There have been virtually no federal rules established for how this has been distributed, it was all given to the states - probably with a little bit of weighting based on how nice you were to the last administration.

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There have been virtually no federal rules established for how this has been distributed, it was all given to the states - probably with a little bit of weighting based on how nice you were to the last administration.

Even if there were, SCOTUS has made quid pro quo legal, making the standard to prove that he gave that money because of x virtually impossible without him actually dropping a bag of money at his step and taking the boxes of vaccines out with him.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Even if there were, SCOTUS has made quid pro quo legal, making the standard to prove that he gave that money because of x virtually impossible without him actually dropping a bag of money at his step and taking the boxes of vaccines out with him.

even then I'm sure they'd find a way to make it ok unless there was a notarized sworn statement by both parties that they were willingly and knowingly committing a federal crime with a cite to the specific statute

Call me a worry wart but yes I'm a little concerned about the two doses and possible side effects and long-term side effects. What's the best way to avoid these feelings? Why are we not reading more about side effects? How can 3 different vaccines all be out at the same time? Has anybody gotten Maderna the first dose then gone in and they've given you Pfizer the second dose?

My feeling is I'll do what they say and get all the shots when made available to me (no availability yet) but in 2021 I've gone from wanting badly to get the vaccine to now being a little scared. Yeah I'll admit it while acknowledging I'm probably just a big baby.

And this is a guy who loves the flu shot. I get it every year about the same time and love it and trust it.

Edited by greg775

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Call me a worry wart but yes I'm a little concerned about the two doses and possible side effects and long-term side effects. What's the best way to avoid these feelings? Why are we not reading more about side effects? How can 3 different vaccines all be out at the same time? My feeling is I'll do what they say and get all the shots when made available to me (no availability yet) but in 2021 I've gone from wanting badly to get the vaccine to now being a little scared. Yeah I'll admit it while acknowledging I'm probably just a big baby.

And this is a guy who loves the flu shot. I get it every year about the same time and love it and trust it.

I would try therapy.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Call me a worry wart but yes I'm a little concerned about the two doses and possible side effects and long-term side effects. What's the best way to avoid these feelings? Why are we not reading more about side effects? How can 3 different vaccines all be out at the same time? Has anybody gotten Maderna the first dose then gone in and they've given you Pfizer the second dose?

My feeling is I'll do what they say and get all the shots when made available to me (no availability yet) but in 2021 I've gone from wanting badly to get the vaccine to now being a little scared. Yeah I'll admit it while acknowledging I'm probably just a big baby.

You are okay with the flu shot which gets changed just about every year.  Yet you are concerned with a vaccine that rich people are jumping in line to get.  Think about that for a second.  We have people who have access to more money than anyone jumping to the front of the line.  That should be as much of an endorsement as anything.  

22 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

You are okay with the flu shot which gets changed just about every year.  Yet you are concerned with a vaccine that rich people are jumping in line to get.  Think about that for a second.  We have people who have access to more money than anyone jumping to the front of the line.  That should be as much of an endorsement as anything.  

That's helpful. Good point. I need to hear more points like that. The fact the rich want the vaccine desperately does lessen my concern. The rich know things we non-rich do not know in many instances.

I just have started to worry in seeing videos (which could be lies; everybody's telling lies these days) in which people are talking about never having any health problems and now having a ton of health problems after taking the second dose.

The people who say the vaccine is dangerous can get to you after a while. I'm the type who likes to hear both sides of an issue and I'd hate to inflict ill health on my body after many many years of good to great health (knock on wood). So there is some concern after a while.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's helpful. Good point. I need to hear more points like that. The fact the rich want the vaccine desperately does lessen my concern. The rich know things we non-rich do not know in many instances.

I just have started to worry in seeing videos (which could be lies; everybody's telling lies these days) in which people are talking about never having any health problems and now having a ton of health problems after taking the second dose.

The people who say the vaccine is dangerous can get to you after a while. I'm the type who likes to hear both sides of an issue and I'd hate to inflict ill health on my body after many many years of good to great health (knock on wood). So there is some concern after a while.

If you arent the con, youre the mark.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You are likely to run a fever or have other minor side effects in the 24-48 hours immediately after the vaccine--especially the 2nd dose. That's a sign that the vaccine is actually working. That's not a sign that the vaccine is bad for you.

14 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

You are likely to run a fever or have other minor side effects in the 24-48 hours immediately after the vaccine--especially the 2nd dose. That's a sign that the vaccine is actually working. That's not a sign that the vaccine is bad for you.

I haven't had the flu in years thanks to the flu shot. I am being a baby, but some of us have become quite soft when not facing adversity for a long while (knock on wood).

I'll "suck it up" while hoping those who say there are possible long-term problems are full of bleep. 

As soon as teachers were up next in the protocol my district announced they had partnered up and we have an express lane for teachers starting next week. I've already had round one but I was impressed that there was obviously a plan in place, they were just waiting until teachers and support staff were next in line. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

I haven’t heard much about the long term side effects but if there was something major, the media would be all over it. Just think of it this way, if you are eligible, get the vaccine because you are helping fight the virus by having more people be vaccinated. Wouldn’t you rather have protection against the variants instead of having nothing at all? The best ways to combat the variants are to vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible and continue to wear masks.

• Like 1