COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

I haven’t heard much about the long term side effects but if there was something major, the media would be all over it. Just think of it this way, if you are eligible, get the vaccine because you are helping fight the virus by having more people be vaccinated. Wouldn’t you rather have protection against the variants instead of having nothing at all? The best ways to combat the variants are to vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible and continue to wear masks.

Good points. I was just growing paranoid after seeing some people say there have been some nasty side effects (probably exaggerated). You are right.

Edited by greg775

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Good points. I was just growing paranoid after seeing some people say there have been some nasty side effects (probably exaggerated). You are right.

Greg - my parents, in law, wife have all gotten the vaccine. Other than some fatigue my wife experienced for half a day -  no one else had any side effects other than a slightly sore arm. 

Multiple millions of people have gotten the shot - yes some people have gotten sore or bad some allergic reactions and maybe a day of not feeling too hot - but it isn’t like people are dropping dead from this - very much the opposite. 

Think of this as the flu shot that gets the world it’s mojo back (in time)! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Unrelated to this but I wanted to put this somewhere and it gets to grreg's post.  I have a relative that believes that all organ donations are illegally harvested.  She is a complete whacko in my mind.  Anti vaxxer, believes masks are killing us etc. 

The stupidity of functioning members of society is becoming rather alarming to me.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The stupidity of functioning members of society is becoming rather alarming to me.

At the same time, I check the CNN and Fox websites on my phone a couple times a day and if you read some of the stuff on there regarding COVID and other issues, it can make your head spin out of control. That's probably why I change my mind so much (p.s. Br. Rice is 9-0; nice little team with the soph PG).

12 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Greg - my parents, in law, wife have all gotten the vaccine. Other than some fatigue my wife experienced for half a day -  no one else had any side effects other than a slightly sore arm. 

Multiple millions of people have gotten the shot - yes some people have gotten sore or bad some allergic reactions and maybe a day of not feeling too hot - but it isn’t like people are dropping dead from this - very much the opposite. 

Think of this as the flu shot that gets the world it’s mojo back (in time)! 

Of my doctor/educator friends who have received both shots, the worst side effect was fatigue for a day. I had a sore arm after one shot.

39 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Unrelated to this but I wanted to put this somewhere and it gets to grreg's post.  I have a relative that believes that all organ donations are illegally harvested.  She is a complete whacko in my mind.  Anti vaxxer, believes masks are killing us etc. 

For my wedding in late September, we're going to require vaccination proof - we already know that we're going to lose 3 or so guests, including my fiancee's aunt and uncle.

Bafflingly stupid.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

At the same time, I check the CNN and Fox websites on my phone a couple times a day and if you read some of the stuff on there regarding COVID and other issues, it can make your head spin out of control. That's probably why I change my mind so much (p.s. Br. Rice is 9-0; nice little team with the soph PG).

As an FYI Greg, your former high school offered the vaccine to all faculty and staff through SXU.  They also have done a pretty amazing job with their COVID educational plan.  

It does seem that basketball is going well and I think football is excited about their 6 game schedule although the #1 back is out with an injury and baseball will be top 5 if not #1 in the state.  They have two potential guys that could be talked about rather highly in the 2023 and 2024 drafts.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Covid vaccinations seem to be far more effective than the flu shot, fwiw.

Conversely the flu tests are far more reliable. The tests being used throughout 2020 had a significant rate of false of positives. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

A 2.9 million day, on March 5th. Can we hit 3 mill/day 7 day avg by mid March?

Honestly - it is starting to get pretty awesome - america starting to really be great again and truly being a leader in how quickly we are ramping up (in a good way this time). 

Think about that - that is a 90 million per month average - we could get - I’d love to get to 100M plus per month. 

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

A 2.9 million day, on March 5th. Can we hit 3 mill/day 7 day avg by mid March?

The big problem in that number is that the J&J line is shut down for the next week or so while they gear up to crank out at a much higher rate (2 week shutdown started early last week just after approval). They shipped out all the shots they had on hand this week, then none are being produced right now. So possible we don’t reach that number by the 15th, but then we blow far past it like a week later.

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The big problem in that number is that the J&J line is shut down for the next week or so while they gear up to crank out at a much higher rate (2 week shutdown started early last week just after approval). They shipped out all the shots they had on hand this week, then none are being produced right now. So possible we don’t reach that number by the 15th, but then we blow far past it like a week later.

Yeah I didn’t plan that well. You are right, the first big batches of J&J are the 15th, so on 3/22 I really hope our avg is 3 mill at that point.

I could still see a large week from 2nd doses + first doses really humming.