COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

fwiw my doctor at DuPage Medical Group expects them to be expanding into the next phases primarily with J&J vaccines at their regular offices by the end of the month.

e: "next phases" in this case would be 1b+ and 1c, not the more generally available phase 2.

Edited by StrangeSox

I think there were some interesting lessons from the UC rollout.

For those that missed it, initially it was rolled out to cook county residents 65+ or older, then was supposed to open up today (appts yesterday evening) to any 16 y.o. + eligible person (teachers/comorbidities, etc).

Then FEMA apparently pushed a change to the state to limit it to only Chicago for some reason, and any non-chicago cook county residents were not allowed.

Apparently most of the appts were from the non-chicago group.

My takeaway is I've read some that state/city leaders don't love the mass vax centers for logistics and spread reasons. But the UC opening was the most straightforward communications I've seen. Everyone knew about it, it was all over news, and they had the simple phone number and zoc doc link.

There is a ton of demand right now, and the priority to speed it up by just pushing it to local and pharmacies is ultimately fine and doing a decent job. But it is confusing, and requires a lot of effort. That is probably ok during this phase where the people who want it most are putting in that effort.

But really soon there will be enough to get to the group that is a little more hesitant, busy or just not prioritizing it as much. I think these sites (there are ones in a few diff parts of state) should hopefully open up to all IL residents. They are the easiest to understand, and should hopefully fill a void of fallback ("well I can always just drive to the UC and get one")

On the other hand, maybe when it moves to 2 this isn't even as important, and anyone walking into a walgreens or CVS will be met with an opportunity to grab a quick shot. Here's hoping :cheers

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I think there were some interesting lessons from the UC rollout.

For those that missed it, initially it was rolled out to cook county residents 65+ or older, then was supposed to open up today (appts yesterday evening) to any 16 y.o. + eligible person (teachers/comorbidities, etc).

Then FEMA apparently pushed a change to the state to limit it to only Chicago for some reason, and any non-chicago cook county residents were not allowed.

Apparently most of the appts were from the non-chicago group.

My takeaway is I've read some that state/city leaders don't love the mass vax centers for logistics and spread reasons. But the UC opening was the most straightforward communications I've seen. Everyone knew about it, it was all over news, and they had the simple phone number and zoc doc link.

There is a ton of demand right now, and the priority to speed it up by just pushing it to local and pharmacies is ultimately fine and doing a decent job. But it is confusing, and requires a lot of effort. That is probably ok during this phase where the people who want it most are putting in that effort.

But really soon there will be enough to get to the group that is a little more hesitant, busy or just not prioritizing it as much. I think these sites (there are ones in a few diff parts of state) should hopefully open up to all IL residents. They are the easiest to understand, and should hopefully fill a void of fallback ("well I can always just drive to the UC and get one")

On the other hand, maybe when it moves to 2 this isn't even as important, and anyone walking into a walgreens or CVS will be met with an opportunity to grab a quick shot. Here's hoping :cheers

I got my shot at a FEMA facility that limited to just specific zip codes in Brooklyn for its first week in operation and is right now only serving people that live in Brooklyn. The FEMA facility in Queens is doing the same for Queens.

I believe the goal is to make it so that communities that have been underserved / overwhelmed can level out a bit.

17 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Got my 2nd shot yesterday. Feel like doodoo today. 

Getting my second tomorrow.  I hope it doesn't ruin my Friday and weekend (that's when I drink my beer, man).  My daughter had a fever and bad headache for about 12 hours after the second shot, but my wife really had no issues aside from a sore arm.  They both had Moderna, and I got Pfizer.  We'll see.

Truthfully, though, I don't care if I'm laid up for a day or so.  It'll be worth it.

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Getting my second tomorrow.  I hope it doesn't ruin my Friday and weekend (that's when I drink my beer, man).  My daughter had a fever and bad headache for about 12 hours after the second shot, but my wife really had no issues aside from a sore arm.  They both had Moderna, and I got Pfizer.  We'll see.

Truthfully, though, I don't care if I'm laid up for a day or so.  It'll be worth it.

Yeah, same thing I had that your daughter had. Actually a lot better today. Just a headache

On 3/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, bmags said:

Woo hoo 90k 7 day average hit with a 135k day yesterday

And this will likely be 100k/day by tomorrow, which is nice because it is an even rounder number.

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think people are kinda misreading all adults will be eligible on May 1st, with “all adults will be vaccinated on May 1st” on my twitter at least.

Is it really not until May 1st? I’ve been holding out a ton of hope that somehow by end of this month or first few weeks in April. Delusional - yea - but damn it I want my shot. 

44 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is it really not until May 1st? I’ve been holding out a ton of hope that somehow by end of this month or first few weeks in April. Delusional - yea - but damn it I want my shot. 

They will Have enough available to offer everyone a shot who wants one by May 31, per the current timeline. The fewer people who want them, the earlier you’re in.

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

It will really be up to your state, but this was guidance that all states should make all adults available by May 1st. Which is good, my county health board website of course still says they may not move up to 1c until late spring or summer still, so, yeah. 

I still think April is realistic for me, I still think states aren't sure what to do with J&J since they don't have storage problems with it and have built everything in their systems around 1 and 2 shots. Soon they'll get used to supply abundance rather than scarcity and we are gonna be at close to 4 million per day, and if states get to point where "eligibility" isn't hitting a high enough percentage, I think they should feel need to open-er up, and that may well be before May 1.

My brother was complaining about the chaotic aspect of all this. It is frustrating, but I think that's inevitable with moving fast + supply shortages. But as of today I am the only adult in my family of 5 siblings, their partners, my parents and living grandparents who has yet to be vaccinated. It is March 12th.

I know for a fact if you would have asked my whole group on New Years day when they thought we'd all be vaccinated I would have probably been the most optimistic in saying the elders would have been done by now, and even then probably only starting their vaccines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It will really be up to your state, but this was guidance that all states should make all adults available by May 1st. Which is good, my county health board website of course still says they may not move up to 1c until late spring or summer still, so, yeah. 

I still think April is realistic for me, I still think states aren't sure what to do with J&J since they don't have storage problems with it and have built everything in their systems around 1 and 2 shots. Soon they'll get used to supply abundance rather than scarcity and we are gonna be at close to 4 million per day, and if states get to point where "eligibility" isn't hitting a high enough percentage, I think they should feel need to open-er up, and that may well be before May 1.

My brother was complaining about the chaotic aspect of all this. It is frustrating, but I think that's inevitable with moving fast + supply shortages. But as of today I am the only adult in my family of 5 siblings, their partners, my parents and living grandparents who has yet to be vaccinated. It is March 12th.

I know for a fact if you would have asked my whole group on New Years day when they thought we'd all be vaccinated I would have probably been the most optimistic in saying the elders would have been done by now, and even then probably only starting their vaccines. 

So yeah I’m still going to say it. The chaotic nature of this? That’s what happens when the federal government has 6 months to plan this, arrange dosing rules and schedules, build manufacturing capacity, get everyone ready, and instead hangs a sign on the door that says “gone drinkin’”.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So yeah I’m still going to say it. The chaotic nature of this? That’s what happens when the federal government has 6 months to plan this, arrange dosing rules and schedules, build manufacturing capacity, get everyone ready, and instead hangs a sign on the door that says “gone drinkin’”.

All is true, but still there are some things that would smooth out communications/process (everyone who wants one signs up through local health dept) that would slow stuff down. My dad was in NC that did that, and was months behind my mom (SC) and inlaws (IL) who gave it out to a number of different places to distribute. 

Now, had funding passed in october, local health depts probably could have scaled up, all that is true. But that didn't happen, so the effort to increase distribution by giving it to more avenues is fine with me, but it does make things confusing. But honestly I'd say the most confusing thing has been the overlap between local/county/state public health depts.

Honestly have very low opinion of many of those operations around me, who may be able to do some behind the scenes stuff but have shown an unbelievable inability to adjust when faced with new evidence.

Missed this yesterday

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-confirms-high-levels-efficacy-against-original-and

Novavax probably won't play a big roll in initial rollout in US, but it seems to be as excellent as the others, is a really interesting version of vaccine, and I think will be what is used for boosters in future.

Unfortunately, they had the least production ability, but I hope this moves to getting approved soon and they can get some manufacturing partners. Maybe the EU should try to like get vaccines from them.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

This is the most remarkable thing. I've got a ton of friends vaccinated. I was cautiously optimistic that we'd be getting through seniors by now.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Missed this yesterday

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-confirms-high-levels-efficacy-against-original-and

Novavax probably won't play a big roll in initial rollout in US, but it seems to be as excellent as the others, is a really interesting version of vaccine, and I think will be what is used for boosters in future.

Unfortunately, they had the least production ability, but I hope this moves to getting approved soon and they can get some manufacturing partners. Maybe the EU should try to like get vaccines from them.

I don't think any company other than Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J will play a big role in the US roll out, but AstraZenica and Novavax may play a huge role moving forward in helping vaccinate the rest of the world. The US is going to be needed abroad to help vaccinate a lot of the world - Andy Slavitt was talking about this yesterday. The virus has to be defeated globally after it's beaten in the US, or else it can mutate.

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is the most remarkable thing. I've got a ton of friends vaccinated. I was cautiously optimistic that we'd be getting through seniors by now.

I don't think any company other than Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J will play a big role in the US roll out, but AstraZenica and Novavax may play a huge role moving forward in helping vaccinate the rest of the world. The US is going to be needed abroad to help vaccinate a lot of the world - Andy Slavitt was talking about this yesterday. The virus has to be defeated globally after it's beaten in the US, or else it can mutate.

It is shit or get off the pot time with AZ. US Should either put some goals out for approval, or send that stuff (we have millions of doses sitting in Ohio) to countries in the Americas.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is shit or get off the pot time with AZ. US Should either put some goals out for approval, or send that stuff (we have millions of doses sitting in Ohio) to countries in the Americas.

30M specifically.

From stories I've read, AZ is dragging their feet with the FDA (i.e. providing data, applications), which is mind boggling. They should likely just ship to nations that have already approved, to be honest, but I guess they're invested since it was funded with the DPA / Warp Speed.