COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

FWIW, the virus itself could lay you out for a lot longer than 3 days and has been known to cause lasting symptoms in a lot of people.

Alll the vaccines have been proven to be 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death.

Get the shot as soon as you can.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, RTC said:

Got my first Pfizer shot yesterday, no side affects at all.  Not even a sore arm.

Get your vaccines as soon as your eligible.  If your down for a day or two that’s nothing compared to actually getting the virus, and the quicker we can get people vaccinated the more we slow down the mutations.  So yes, do it for yourself, but do it for others as well. 

Also makes sense. Thanks. Glad you didn't even have a sore arm.

So IL released 16k appointments at noon today and I was part of that group. This is just an annoying situation but obviously I'd be first to tell you that I've been happy overall so many more people have gotten the vaccine by this point than I expected in Jan.

But it was like one of those dream sequences where you need to do something but are physically unable or dumb stuff keeps happening to prevent you.

An hour of pages not loading, keeping track of the network requests to see when they timed out and starting again, random times appearing visible when they aren't, and finished up by me finally getting to form to secure the time and my wireless suddenly dropping, causing the page to error out, and could not be refreshed.

Will try again another day.

Greg, I understand your hesitancy; yes, these vaccines were developed very quickly, but reports of side effects have been ridiculously low, and there's a lot better chance of you having a lasting side effect from COVID than there is from the vaccine. I don't know your exact age, but I do know you're not a young pup.  There's a risk if you take the vaccine, for sure, but everything we have seen so far says that there's probably a greater risk at your age from getting covid of having long lasting effects than there is from the shot itself.  No one can make you get the shot, but please consider where you may be hearing about side effects from.....is it a reputable source? Or is it anecdotal evidence? It's a personal choice, but its one I've chosen to take.

• Like 2

Greg, you're lucky you're not in China. 

We can get the vaccine for free, but there's 1/4th the information you guys have in America. 

Even with the Chinese vaccine (no access to US/UK ones), still have mandatory 14 day quarantine entering the country... at best, should be able to travel inside of China this summer.   Many foreign workers are being warned it could be months before return if they chose to leave, like for a family emergency back in the US. 

No control over which of the five possible vaccines we might receive. 

It's looking increasingly likely there won't be anything approaching free travel in and out of the country until after the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics next February. 

TThat's barring the mutant variants overwhelming tgecdevelioingvworod before vaccines get distributed to them first.  It's a real race against time.

The same groups and states that decry masks and regs tend to match up with those who do not trust the vaccines. I understand their concerns but it seems like a lose-lose. 

Walking around my school the largest groups back are athletes and freshman.  Smallest group seniors. We are still offering choice but pushing to get kids back on campus. 

Our protocols are slipping fast as the student to staff ratio increases.  

Golf courses are putting rakes back out and we're allowing pulling pins. Our state playoffs begin next week and the Covid rules are being dropped and we're back to normal. 

I wish I received my vaccine two weeks ago instead of one week. Next week seems like maneuvering through land mines. 

10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Grabbed shot number two today opener tickets yesterday.....other then the Eloy news not a bad two days.  Now to make it through Fantasy draft tomorrow.

Be wise. Whomever you draft will get injured so no white sox

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 1:22 AM, greg775 said:

I am going to get my shot as soon as they accept me. How are your symptoms? I am very nervous about the shots. Any advice on what medications I should have ready as the vaccine takes over the body? Thank u. No lie. I'm nervous about what I've read including the fact 1,200 have died or some similar number. 

I think some people won't get the vaccine because they think it's an ominous plot of the government. There are others like me who don't like the idea of purposely putting something in the body that could lay me out for 3 days and may cause lasting symptoms. I sure hope I don't mess up body organs or have hair all fall out in six months. Forgive me. This is a big boy message board and some people in America are scared. Nothing more ominous than that. Just fear.

The first dose (Pfizer) was nothing at all. Sore arm, really not a big deal. The second dose, following morning, I had the flu-like symptoms you probably hear everyone talking about (fever, chills, sore joints, etc) for a few hours, nothing to do really but wait it out. Those are normal reactions, it's your immune system responding to what it thinks is an infection, the day after that you'll probably feel fine. I'd say get some aspirin or ibuprofen and rest, definitely take the day off work if that's possible.

The # of people who've had a severe reaction to the vaccine is something extremely low, like 0.001%, FWIW

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 8:21 PM, Heads22 said:

Greg, I understand your hesitancy; yes, these vaccines were developed very quickly, but reports of side effects have been ridiculously low, and there's a lot better chance of you having a lasting side effect from COVID than there is from the vaccine.

That about sums it up. I tried to sign up today and there are no spots in Lawrence. Weird how they have the shot in Topeka in full supply but not Lawrence. I want to get the shots here. I will get the shots. I will say this. Out of all the people I know, except for crazy family types, nobody has had any hesitancy at all. I'm the only one. And I haven't really expressed concern to anybody I talk to in real life.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That about sums it up. I tried to sign up today and there are no spots in Lawrence. Weird how they have the shot in Topeka in full supply but not Lawrence. I want to get the shots here. I will get the shots. I will say this. Out of all the people I know, except for crazy family types, nobody has had any hesitancy at all. I'm the only one. And I haven't really expressed concern to anybody I talk to in real life.

Aren't we like a family here? 

I hope you score soon. 

• Like 2

You know, for as much as gets said about Black folks being hesitant to get vaccinated, the majority of them in my family and social circle is basically beating down the door to get it. That's anecdotal, and there are still a lot of fuckin numbskulls in my social circle who still think COVID-19 is caused by cell towers (and not just Black folks obviously), but still.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lostfan said:

You know, for as much as gets said about Black folks being hesitant to get vaccinated, the majority of them in my family and social circle is basically beating down the door to get it. That's anecdotal, and there are still a lot of fuckin numbskulls in my social circle who still think COVID-19 is caused by cell towers (and not just Black folks obviously), but still.

Seemed like a lot of white people excited to tell people they were aware of the tuskegee experiment more than anything.

The polling stuff all seems so dumb around vaccines. But they will certainly hit a point fairly soon where the easy people to reach are vaccinated. It will be interesting to see what tactics work, or if just the ease and availability overcomes a lot of it. 

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

How much of that was an excuse to send fewer shots to black neighborhoods? They definitely did that in Georgia, for at least the one I saw documented.

15 hours ago, lostfan said:

It’s not caused by cell towers? 

We did a show last night at an Air Force base. That’s how to enforce masks. You can’t get through the gate with wearing a mask. Everyone immediately put it on when not actively eating or drinking. As in take a drink, put on mask. Take off mask, sip drink, put on mask. Biggest audience we’ve had in years and the safest I felt. 

No pain in the arm here in China, even.  (Of course, GPS satellites are tracking me right now through the nano chips.)

That said, a couple of my co-workers experienced a sore arm for 24-36 hours and a couple were sick/lethargic the first couple of days (this was the first dosage).

And also even though I had an appt I wanted to see what the new release of cook county appts was like yesterday.

Huge improvement - they site added a queue so you could see where you were in line and how many people were ahead of you for how many open spots. Would have saved me a lot of time last week, and prevented me from refreshing when it seemed like the page had died.