COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife had one dose of the Moderna vaccine, and has had nerve pain in her feet and spreading up to her knees for 2 weeks. Her white blood cell count went from 1,100 to 15,000. They think she is having an autoimmune response to the vaccine. They cancelled her second dose.

I am so bummed to hear that. Good luck. 

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

My wife had one dose of the Moderna vaccine, and has had nerve pain in her feet and spreading up to her knees for 2 weeks. Her white blood cell count went from 1,100 to 15,000. They think she is having an autoimmune response to the vaccine. They cancelled her second dose.

Did she have any autoimmune issues prior?  Asking because my daughter has Celiacs and started with back pain morning after first Pfizer shot.  Pretty sure she wrenched her back, but still worried it’s a one in a million reaction.

The Sinopharm Vero vaccine I got last Friday is supposedly showing 79.34% efficacy.   The bottom line is that anything over 50% is supposedly "more good than not getting it at all."

I guess the real test is whether the WHO officially signs off on Sinopharm, Sinovac and CanSinoBio.

If they don't, we're going to have a real interesting situation politically with the WHO/China, and 2) an incredibly immense supply chain problem getting only Western vaccines out to the rest of the world in just two years' time...with that Novavax worldwide consortium dramatically underfunded.

The next step is going to be for the EU, though, to sort out all their disputes and disagreements about AZ.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/world/meanwhile-in-america-march-31-intl/index.html

It's America's next Covid-19 culture war.

Growing numbers of businesses, hospitality industries, and even sports teams are considering requiring proof of vaccination for customers, once the world begins to open up. For both patrons and staff, such a system might offer peace of mind -- and could stop a cruise voyage around the Caribbean, for example, from turning into a floating super spreader.

Countries where Covid-19 rates are low might soon start demanding inoculation information before they let tourists in. It's not that different from parents showing proof of vaccination typically required to enroll kids in American schools, or those little yellow vaccine cards already required to travel in countries threatened by yellow fever, tuberculosis or other scourges. Yet the idea of "vaccine passports" has become the latest object of right-wing politicians' outrage.

For the record, President Joe Biden is not actually planning to mandate vaccine passports or to set up a central vaccines database that raises the specter of Big Brother surveillance trampling American individualism. The White House says it is trying to work with companies to set standards for vaccine passports and to ensure people's privacy is protected.

Nevertheless, it is an ethical minefield. Should businesses bar people who are not vaccinated? Can employers make vaccines a condition for accepting a new job? Certainly vaccines should be available to anyone who wants one before such filtering systems are introduced. But equally, is it fair for an American who endangers others by refusing vaccination to get the same benefits as others? Rent-a-quote politicians stirring fear and anger about the issue are not doing much to help.

If you want to read Marjorie Taylor Greene and DeSantis quotes in the middle, have at it.  Click on the link.

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sorry to hear this, Dick Allen. Best wishes for your wife. ... This all just sucks. If we get COVID we could be screwed. The vaccine obviously is risky as well. I haven't gotten my shots yet cause Kansas must be hopeless. I'm all signed up everywhere in Lawrence and no vaccines yet. I sure hope for the best for everybody but I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sorry to hear this, Dick Allen. Best wishes for your wife. ... This all just sucks. If we get COVID we could be screwed. The vaccine obviously is risky as well. I haven't gotten my shots yet cause Kansas must be hopeless. I'm all signed up everywhere in Lawrence and no vaccines yet. I sure hope for the best for everybody but I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

Call your governor's office, your Representative (Eileen Horn)...write a letter to the editor to the KC Star or Topeka/Lawrence newspapers...ask what the heck is going on, where's your vaccine???!!!

12 hours ago, RTC said:

Did she have any autoimmune issues prior?  Asking because my daughter has Celiacs and started with back pain morning after first Pfizer shot.  Pretty sure she wrenched her back, but still worried it’s a one in a million reaction.

First let me thank everyone for their concern. Although she did spend a couple days in the hospital, luckily it doesn't appear to be a life and death issue, she's just been very uncomfortable and can't live anywhere near a normal life for now over 2 weeks. She never knew of any autoimmune issues before this.  Her initial pain was in her back, but only for a day or 2. Then it moved to her foot, then both feet, then went up to her knees on both legs. It seems to have stopped there. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

First let me thank everyone for their concern. Although she did spend a couple days in the hospital, luckily it doesn't appear to be a life and death issue, she's just been very uncomfortable and can't live anywhere near a normal life for now over 2 weeks. She never knew of any autoimmune issues before this.  Her initial pain was in her back, but only for a day or 2. Then it moved to her foot, then both feet, then went up to her knees on both legs. It seems to have stopped there. 

Is there any chance that she actually had the virus at some point last year, so this is the immune system acting like it's dose #2?

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Is there any chance that she actually had the virus at some point last year, so this is the immune system acting like it's dose #2?

It's possible, but not probable. She has had at least 2 antibody tests before her vaccine, and has several covid tests, since the pandemic started. One theory is she could have another coronavirus in her, and it's attacking that. So far, every test she has taken have come up normal. Still awaiting several more results. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-01/long-covid-symptoms-are-affecting-1-1-million-people-in-u-k?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-businessweek

Long Covid Symptoms Are Affecting 1.1 Million People in U.K.

By 

Camomile Shumba

and 

Lucy Meakin

April 1, 2021, 4:54 PM GMT+8

Women and younger people more likely to suffer longer

Vaccine hesitancy declines but remains an issue in poor areas

Came close a few times through Walgreens, but was finally able to get it today through Cook County. The system is pretty terrible even once your in as the appointments disappear/ reappear randomly. Was able to get 2 at the same site within an hour of each other so not the worst. Im assuming they will schedule the second appointment after you get the first.

If anyone is using the Cook County site, you basically just have to click instantly as soon as it appears. Once in the waiting room you really have no idea when you are going to get picked (the first browser actually got into appointments second). Once you can pick the appointment, you actually have to click dates, they dont automatically generate. Then half the times you pick will say not available, but if you keep trying more show up. 

Some were available over 30 minutes later, so definitely seems like they are increasing availability. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raBBit said:

You think that Cubs game yesterday is leading to the COVID increases?

In Texas, probably.  In Boston, with only 4500 in Fenway much less likely.

Of course, we’d need to see numbers of immunized vs. non-immunized naturally or through vaccines to draw any conclusions.

Arrived at a bar at 3:30 to meet up with some coaches. We were outside,  four of us around a large table. By 8 pm there were a dozen,  no masks, it looked like a pre Covid party.  I kind of freaked and left. If I walked up and saw that I would not have joined up. But it happen one by one and seemed like normal times. Weird. 

17 hours ago, raBBit said:

You think that Cubs game yesterday is leading to the COVID increases?

There was probably some spread at the park, sure. Outdoors and masked is at least some mitigation. Would probably depend on if/how many highly infectious people happened to be there.

Crowded Wrigleyville area moreso.

So I've read comments from a lot of ignorant people saying that it doesn't matter if case counts shoot up now because the people most likely to get really sick or die are vaccinated.

People completely lack the understanding that the more this virus spreads, even to people it won't kill, the more likely it becomes that we will get a vaccine-proof variant and then we're all screwed.

• Like 2

Dose #2 down! A little weird feeling, body couldn't control temperature at all and had some weird muscle tightness in areas that had no reason to be sore yesterday, but I think down to mostly arm soreness today.

Now that I've gotten this far, I just want to say, and this is truly from the bottom of my heart and as sincere as anything I've ever done...F*** you Greg Abbott. 

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 10:29 AM, StrangeSox said:

There was probably some spread at the park, sure. Outdoors and masked is at least some mitigation. Would probably depend on if/how many highly infectious people happened to be there.

Crowded Wrigleyville area moreso.

The point was we can't be blaming things that haven't happened yet for the increases in cases that was already occurring.