COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

58 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I really wonder what those people prefer to be the solution. If it's not vaccinations and it's not social distancing/mask wearing/lockdowns, then what is it? Hope everyone gets it in the same 6 month period, achieve herd immunity, and whoever dies is collateral damage? It's almost like those people don't want to solve the issue at all.

That was always an "insane" strategy but now that we have circulating variants that evade immunity from prior infections it's doubly so.

14 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

That was always an "insane" strategy but now that we have circulating variants that evade immunity from prior infections it's doubly so.

Yeah you think people who don't believe in science will listen to scientists warning them about variants?

22 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah you think people who don't believe in science will listen to scientists warning them about variants?

No, and at least anecdotally most people are throwing all caution to the wind once they're vaccinated regardless of what's going on around them.

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

In the world today.  The same folks that said that the number of deaths from COVID was manageable will be the same group that has now become anti-vaxxers because the vaccine is not safe.

Each day I  get older I really am not certain how society is going to exist with one another.

I'm down on society of course, but as far as the vaccine I can see why people are scared. I hate to be a big baby, but yes I was scared for shot one and I am very scared for upcoming shot two. I won't bore everybody with why I'm scared but of course I am.

My shot is moderna but stuff like this of course frightens me.      https://www.yahoo.com/news/mississippi-dad-suffers-stroke-johnson-130818558.html

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Having the Mazara and Moncada experiences on this roster last year were likely important for this happening. There's 2 guys who had serious damage to their careers from the virus already.

I thought Mazara was only strep

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

"Strep." Like how all those deaths in Florida last May and June were classified as the "Flu". 

I don't know why they would have told everyone Yoan had it but lied about Nomar.  But ok then 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I don't know why they would have told everyone Yoan had it but lied about Nomar.  But ok then 

Because it wasn't up to the team, it was up to the player to decide whether they wanted that information released. A player who has a multi-year deal is in a very different place from a guy who is still pre-arbitration. Mazara's side didn't want whether or not he had COVID coming up in contract discussions, and no team can legally ask him about it.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Because it wasn't up to the team, it was up to the player to decide whether they wanted that information released. A player who has a multi-year deal is in a very different place from a guy who is still pre-arbitration. Mazara's side didn't want whether or not he had COVID coming up in contract discussions, and no team can legally ask him about it.

Ok Balta 

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Holy jump to conclusions, Batman! 

This article was from March 5th, 2021, by the Detroit Free Press.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/03/05/detroit-tigers-nomar-mazara-focuses-future-offensive-woes-2020/4591762001/

The harsh reality of a 60-game season — where there wasn't enough time to make complicated swing changes — made the numbers for every player, good or bad, seem quite exaggerated. For example, the Tigers need to see more of Willi Castro and Jeimer Candelario, two recent standouts, before assessing their long-term value.

Mazara finished the year with a .228 batting average, one home run and 15 RBIs in 42 games.

He missed about two weeks early in the season because he had strep throat, and the White Sox made him go through the COVID-19 protocol process and quarantine.

"I was just sitting at home watching TV," Mazara said. "I couldn't do anything — no working out, no hitting. At the end of the day, that affected me. ... That's in the past now. I'm in a good position and my swing feels really, really good. I'm where I'm supposed to be."

You have absolutely zero proof Nomar Mazara had COVID. 

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/03/05/detroit-tigers-nomar-mazara-focuses-future-offensive-woes-2020/4591762001/

And there is nothing there that is going to convince me that they're being truthful at all. But I've said my bit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And there is nothing there that is going to convince me that they're being truthful at all. But I've said my bit.

By "said my bit" you mean create an entire narrative in your head based on NO evidence, but sure, whatever you say QBalta. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

We'll never know for certain. In these cases I consider Ocamm's Razor. The simplest answer is they reported the truth. People do get strep. I would be surprised but not shocked if it was Covid. 

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'm down on society of course, but as far as the vaccine I can see why people are scared. I hate to be a big baby, but yes I was scared for shot one and I am very scared for upcoming shot two. I won't bore everybody with why I'm scared but of course I am.

My shot is moderna but stuff like this of course frightens me.      https://www.yahoo.com/news/mississippi-dad-suffers-stroke-johnson-130818558.html

There's been what, 200 million different injections of these vaccines? Chances are that someone, somewhere who got the shot would have a stroke afterwards, simply due to the fact that people have strokes.

The vaccine definitely could be a factor. It also might not have had anything to do with it at all.

The latest CDC numbers reinforce these reports. So far, 14 states have administered less than 75 percent of the doses distributed to them (in ascending order): Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, Alaska, Wyoming, Louisiana, Tennessee, West Virginia, Florida, Hawaii, Oklahoma, Indiana and South Carolina. Among them, only Hawaii has at least partially vaccinated a larger share of its residents than the national average (about 37 percent).

At the other end of the spectrum, 20 states have administered more than 80 percent of the doses distributed to them (again, in ascending order): Pennsylvania, Washington, Nebraska, Virginia, Connecticut, Colorado, Nevada, New York, Vermont, Iowa, New Mexico, Massachusetts, Utah, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Rhode Island, North Dakota, Minnesota, Maine and New Hampshire. Among them, only North Dakota, Utah and Nevada have at least partially vaccinated a smaller share of their residents than the national average.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/america-is-about-to-hit-a-vaccine-wall-as-demand-drops-with-or-without-johnson-johnson-162241805.html

On 4/14/2021 at 2:45 PM, Tony said:

The thing I don't get is if it was indeed strep with all of the precautious going on at that time, I would think it would be hard to get strep.  Similar to the cold and flu season for the last 12 months.

Also why would the White Sox COVID quarantine him if he was diagnosed with strep?

How could he not hit or workout or anything but sit around and watch tv?  he could still go for a jog and hit of a tee during that time.

I think it is equally possible he had COVID as strep.  Loading up on Balta seems a bit unfair.

I am also the person that is rather curious of how anti-vaxxers were killing society five years ago and know anti-vaxxing is becoming more popular for those that wanted to tar and feather anti-vaxxers.  You either believe in science or you don't.  I am not certain you can pick and choose when to believe in science and when not do.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am also the person that is rather curious of how anti-vaxxers were killing society five years ago and know anti-vaxxing is becoming more popular for those that wanted to tar and feather anti-vaxxers.  You either believe in science or you don't.  I am not certain you can pick and choose when to believe in science and when not do.

When anti-vaxxers were refusing the measles vaccine, the people they're putting in jeopardy are themselves, and the occasional person who can't get the vaccine. Seems plausible to tar and feather them because it's far away.

Antivaxxers refusing this vaccine are putting both themselves and everyone else in jeopardy. 40% of the population being able to get this virus, even in certain areas, means it will do a fine and dandy job of transmitting, creating new surges, and potentially creating variants that are more likely to break through the vaccines. If you want to tar and feather them again, fine - but at some point we do need a strategy that gets them to put the shot in their arm, and tarring and feathering doesn't obviously get us there.

Also worth noting - vaccine passports are allowed and people are ok with them for measles. You're reporting that in most states if you want to register a kid for school, or travel internationally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Antivaxxers refusing this vaccine are putting both themselves and everyone else in jeopardy. 40% of the population being able to get this virus, even in certain areas, means it will do a fine and dandy job of transmitting, creating new surges, and potentially creating variants that are more likely to break through the vaccines. If you want to tar and feather them again, fine - but at some point we do need a strategy that gets them to put the shot in their arm, and tarring and feathering doesn't obviously get us there.

People who have a good grasp on their own mental/emotional states of mind can call us babies or worse, but some of us are worried about the vaccines. We are worried we are injecting some things that may cause severe side effects voluntarily and may regret it someday. There's not enough town halls or people talking about their own reactions to the shots to assure those of us that are fearful. Maybe we are babies but we have gotten the flu shot for years with no symptoms and don't want our bodies to break down because of us voluntarily putting vaccines in our body. My 30 year old cousin fainted and is still sick five days later.

Some have gotten blood clots. I think there should be more education and discussion about the shots. Personally I will never trust the government again after some things that have occurred over the last 14 months. That said ... for society I took shot No. 1 moderna as soon as I got the call. I will accept shot No. 2 when they call. I pray I have no symptoms especially since truthfully I don't want the shots. My stance should anger nobody. It's my own personal battle mentally. I AM GETTING fully vaccinated as soon as humanly possible for society.

The strategy you mention should be a kinder, gentler approach to all this. I talked to a lady at church who is normally calm and seemed normal. She freaked when I asked about the vaccine. Said no way in hell she'll ever get vaccinated. You could see fear in her eyes. I tried to hold a discussion of what I know and she would have none of it. Shook her head violently. No shot.

Edited by greg775

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

People who have a good grasp on their own mental/emotional states of mind can call us babies or worse, but some of us are worried about the vaccines. We are worried we are injecting some things that may cause severe side effects voluntarily and may regret it someday. There's not enough town halls or people talking about their own reactions to the shots to assure those of us that are fearful. Maybe we are babies but we have gotten the flu shot for years with no symptoms and don't want our bodies to break down because of us voluntarily putting vaccines in our body. My 30 year old cousin fainted and is still sick five days later.

Some have gotten blood clots. I think there should be more education and discussion about the shots. Personally I will never trust the government again after some things that have occurred over the last 14 months. That said ... for society I took shot No. 1 moderna as soon as I got the call. I will accept shot No. 2 when they call. I pray I have no symptoms especially since truthfully I don't want the shots. My stance should anger nobody. It's my own personal battle mentally. I AM GETTING fully vaccinated as soon as humanly possible for society.

The strategy you mention should be a kinder, gentler approach to all this. I talked to a lady at church who is normally calm and seemed normal. She freaked when I asked about the vaccine. Said no way in hell she'll ever get vaccinated. You could see fear in her eyes. I tried to hold a discussion of what I know and she would have none of it. Shook her head violently. No shot.

There’s vaccine hesitancy and then there’s anti-vaxxers who won’t take it period. For those who haven’t gotten it and are hesitant, they need to speak to their doctor and get off of the internet. They need to keep in mind the amount t of blood clots out of the total number of people vaccinated. And they need to realize that everyone has different side effects, it won’t be the same in each person. Some don’t experience things at all. 

• Like 3