COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Today was a banner day for my wife's ongoing ordeal which has to be almost 6 weeks and no change to her condition.  She had an appointment with a neurologist who was referred by a pulmonologist.  She gets to her appointment with all her records,and referrals  etc. The doctor spent the entire time telling her that she had no idea why my wife was referred to her, and had no clue who the doctor is who made the referral. So my wife broke down and cried as she as well as I, am beyond frustrated. The doctor did make a few calls and got her another appointment with someone else. Then, finally,   gave her something for the pain. Of course, it made her throw up. Then she comes home and gets a phone call from the hospital.  Seems the tests for which she had blood drawn last week, which resulted in 6 or 7 bandaids and guaze up and down her arms because they kept missing her vein, were lost because her name , despite always having to provide ID and an insurance card, were incorrectly entered into their system,  and they have no way to find them. So she gets to go back and do it again.  It is amazing people actually survive life threatening illnesses the way this system is set up.

So sorry this is happening. Best wishes for both of you.

Late this afternoon I get my second dose of Pfizer, which is what I wanted for my birthday on Sunday. I didn’t mention it earlier because my sister signed me up through a link she had and so I got it ten days before I was eligible. But I didn’t feel bad with how supply is outdoing demand and most of the older population got theirs.

My wife had chills and fatigue overnight and slept through it after getting her vaccine and I am hoping I can have that same experience so I can have some beers in my backyard with some family and friends (most who are vaccinated) and be together with people unlike how it was last year with just my wife at home. I’m looking forward to moving on and hopefully getting the virus under control so we can get our lives back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Same, In fact I'm heading out to get it in about 5 minutes.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Late this afternoon I get my second dose of Pfizer, which is what I wanted for my birthday on Sunday. I didn’t mention it earlier because my sister signed me up through a link she had and so I got it ten days before I was eligible. But I didn’t feel bad with how supply is outdoing demand and most of the older population got theirs.

My wife had chills and fatigue overnight and slept through it after getting her vaccine and I am hoping I can have that same experience so I can have some beers in my backyard with some family and friends (most who are vaccinated) and be together with people unlike how it was last year with just my wife at home. I’m looking forward to moving on and hopefully getting the virus under control so we can get our lives back.

When I got my second dose, it was at 8:30 am. The whole work day after that was fine. At around 6:30, I started feeling really tired and actually passed out at 7, missing the college basketball championship game and Sox game in Seattle that I was looking forward to watching. I woke up at 3:30am with a migraine, took some advil, woke up about 4 hours later with still a headache, and then took more advil. The migraines came and went for the next few days. Work was rough that week.

I've heard from a few people that being really tired is a common side affect. One of my co-workers got his last week and said that was his issue. 2 of my other co-workers got theirs yesterday. Have not heard from them yet. They took today off as a precaution..

18 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

When I got my second dose, it was at 8:30 am. The whole work day after that was fine. At around 6:30, I started feeling really tired and actually passed out at 7, missing the college basketball championship game and Sox game in Seattle that I was looking forward to watching. I woke up at 3:30am with a migraine, took some advil, woke up about 4 hours later with still a headache, and then took more advil. The migraines came and went for the next few days. Work was rough that week.

20 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Same, In fact I'm heading out to get it in about 5 minutes.

Luckily, I haven’t had any side effects. I did get tired after a day of running errands and fell asleep for an hour after folding the laundry, but woke up to watch the end of the Sox game and only have had a sore arm since. I’m hoping this continues and I don’t feel crappy today, I even feel like I have the energy to do my 3 mile run this morning.

There are many reports of long term health impacts from infection by the Covid virus including brain fog, heart rate spikes, and chronic fatigue. Perhaps Moncada''s Covid experience is an example of that. Not enough is known yet about how long the virus lingers in those infected with it and whether it has long terms impacts like organ damage but the risk of that seems too much to ignore.

Young people and some minorities, including those addicted to anti-vax politics,  need to be encouraged to get vaxxed.  If you don't think it will impact your own health, OK, I get how young people feel invincible, but please do the right thing for your family, your friends and your country and get vaxxed. 

Edited by tray
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tray said:

There are many reports of long term health impacts from infection by the Covid virus including brain fog, heart rate spikes, and chronic fatigue. Perhaps Moncada''s Covid experience is an example of that. Not enough is known yet about how long the virus lingers in those infected with it and whether it has long terms impacts like organ damage but the risk of that seems too much to ignore.

Young people and some minorities, including those addicted to anti-vax politics,  need to be encouraged to get vaxxed.  If you don't think it will impact your own health, OK, I get how young people feel invincible, but please do the right thing for your family, your friends and your country and get vaxxed. 

You can add members of the military, many rural counties, especially those in the deep South and west/Near West...Christians/evangelicals and well over 50% of Trump voters in general.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You can add members of the military, many rural counties, especially those in the deep South and west/Near West...Christians/evangelicals and well over 50% of Trump voters in general.

Fox News is a rank propaganda channel that has divided this nation. It is hard to stop them because they have convinced their viewership to distrust news sources and only tune in to their channel.  This has to be challenged head on in some way. Their anti-vax nonsense has to stop.

• Like 3

I had some minor side effects. Arm was a little sore on Friday and I didn't sleep all that well Friday night. Not sure if it was the bed I was sleeping in or the fact that my arm hurt.

Saturday during the day I felt OK but later Saturday night I had body aches and chills. Nothing debilitating. Just a minor annoyance.

Sunday woke up feeling 100%.

Had a bit of a headache Sunday night and this morning but that's nothing really unusual. I get headaches sometimes. Hard to tell if it's a side effect or not...

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Heads22 said:

I've been watching the NY Times daily cases lately and it looks like the vaccinations are starting to help, that curve downward is starting to happen.

If you look at the chart for the US and then charts for individual states, you can see the pattern is pretty consistent across the US.  There was a bit of a bump in cases in late March/early April, and now we're seeing cases drop off again.  Hopefully that trend continues.

Although nothing definitive is known, I have read that the vaccines are certainly making an impact and are likely combating the new strains coupled with relaxed restrictions.  If there were no new strains, we'd probably be seeing a bigger impact from the vaccines.

It is interesting to look at some states that have relaxed or even stopped restrictions and see that there haven't been any spikes.  Texas has pretty much flattened out at 3000 or so a day since mid-March.  Even Florida, where people acted like COVID didn't exist, has been pretty flat.  Granted, their cases per day are about twice as many as Illinois (and Texas!), but there has been no recent spike.

Apparently, new mask guidelines are going to be released today, and the speculation is it'll be around wearing masks in outdoor spaces.  There seems to be enough evidence the COVID does not spread easily at all outdoors.

I also saw quite a few articles yesterday latching on to a study that showed the 6-foot rule inside doesn't really make a difference in the virus' ability to spread.  Of course the article titles were sensationalized and worded to grab your attention.  But of you read about the study, it still came down to the number of people in an indoor space.  So, the distancing guidelines still make sense if you think about how you'd space out X number of people in one space.

Still waiting for shot No. 2 in a few days.

This is very alarming.  This school won't hire you if you are vaccinated. What do they know that we don't? I tell you this all scares me. I feel as if I'm irresponsible regarding my own body sometimes in getting both shots. I will do so. I hope I don't regret it some day. I was reading somewhere that 49 percent of Republican men won't get vaccinated.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/miami-private-school-centner-academy-233603240.html

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

This is very alarming.  This school won't hire you if you are vaccinated. What do they know that we don't? I tell you this all scares me. I feel as if I'm irresponsible regarding my own body sometimes in getting both shots. I will do so. I hope I don't regret it some day. I was reading somewhere that 49 percent of Republican men won't get vaccinated.

You ask: "what do they know that we don't."

If you even opened the link you provided, you would see this school says the information they are providing is "new" and "has not been researched"

So they are telling you they don't know anything, it's right there. But you are getting "alarmed" by it because they must know something the entire medical field doesn't. Your choosing to trust them over the advice of medical professionals. 

So you're either doing a bit on Soxtalk, or you're legitimately worrying yourself over the decision made by two uneducated people.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

This shouldn't even be a story.  I despise this misinformation and ridiculousness getting attention because someone writes an article about a couple morons in Florida.  If you read the article, which I don't recommend, it reads like a right-wing, aliens-are-coming-to-get-you, vaccines-are-tracking-devices lunatic shit that it is.

Get the damn vaccine.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Greg, this paragraph tells you all that you need to know about the school and the founders. Also, they are just business people and don’t have medical training. 

Unsatisfied with the schooling options available locally, they opened Centner Academy in the Design District in 2019 as the first “Happiness School.” The school’s website prominently displays: “MEDICAL FREEDOM FROM MANDATED VACCINES.”

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Greg, this paragraph tells you all that you need to know about the school and the founders. Also, they are just business people and don’t have medical training. 

Unsatisfied with the schooling options available locally, they opened Centner Academy in the Design District in 2019 as the first “Happiness School.” The school’s website prominently displays: “MEDICAL FREEDOM FROM MANDATED VACCINES.”

Quite a weird school. Thanx for the paragraph.

8 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Is the 86 the 7 day average or a 7 day daily average?  Just curious.  Is it really just over 10 per day a country of 9M people?  Either way - still great to see such a steep drop down as they keep vaccinating.  And to think those stats are with 55% of the country fully vaccinated.  US up to 43% of population having received one shot and 30% being fully vaccinated. 

On that note - got my 2nd shot earlier today.  So far so good...hopefully I get a good nights sleep and am saying the same thing tomorrow :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is the 86 the 7 day average or a 7 day daily average?  Just curious.  Is it really just over 10 per day a country of 9M people?  Either way - still great to see such a steep drop down as they keep vaccinating.  And to think those stats are with 55% of the country fully vaccinated.  US up to 43% of population having received one shot and 30% being fully vaccinated. 

On that note - got my 2nd shot earlier today.  So far so good...hopefully I get a good nights sleep and am saying the same thing tomorrow :)

I think it's the 7-day rolling average, meaning the average daily cases of the past 7 days.

Israel has a ridiculously young population which is part of the reason they're capping out hard at ~55% vaccinated. There's hardline religious conservatives there opposed to it as well.

22 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So a night later and I can’t tell if I had any symptoms at all. I felt a little achy late this afternoon but couldn’t tell if that was a mental thing or not. If anything - just a bit fatigued but nothing else. 

Drank a ton of fluids yesterday and today and was slammed at work - so maybe just helped to be mentally active and well hydrated. 

On 4/27/2021 at 11:21 PM, The Beast said:

A private school here just asked a family to move their student to a different school for refusing to wear a mask outdoors. So there are families looking for maskless options.