COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

A private school here just asked a family to move their student to a different school for refusing to wear a mask outdoors. So there are families looking for maskless options.

Sure, that is one thing, but firing teachers for getting vaccinated is completely different. I have a feeling plenty of issues will arise from people not complying with businesses as times goes on and that the guidance by the CDC and the rights of businesses to have their own rules will be very important. I wonder how long people are going to hold out until they decide to get the vaccine, particularly those who say they need more information before making a decision.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:44 PM, The Beast said:

Sure, that is one thing, but firing teachers for getting vaccinated is completely different. I have a feeling plenty of issues will arise from people not complying with businesses as times goes on and that the guidance by the CDC and the rights of businesses to have their own rules will be very important. I wonder how long people are going to hold out until they decide to get the vaccine, particularly those who say they need more information before making a decision.

Some people are still holding out that the Earth is flat, so Im guessing a long time.

On 4/30/2021 at 1:01 PM, Texsox said:

At my pharmacy today and they are practically begging people to get vaccinated. No waiting. No cost!

I am starting to wonder - would it have been better to more slowly expand age groups (opposite of what I thought) - but does a perceived "scarcity" put more demand for people to jump at vaccine?  Hopefully we can start moving the needle on those that are resistant.  We still should be at a pretty damn good rate (relatively speaking) by the end of May.  

Cases continue to drop in my area and I believe largely across the country.  In my area (150K city) - it has been 6, 4, 2 and 10 in last 4 days. The county I live in has been doing even better (vs. its old numbers). Will be interesting to see how the trend continues as more and more people get 2nd shots and others continue to get 1st shots.  Can we start to take all the oxygen out of this fire. I sure hope.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am starting to wonder - would it have been better to more slowly expand age groups (opposite of what I thought) - but does a perceived "scarcity" put more demand for people to jump at vaccine?  Hopefully we can start moving the needle on those that are resistant.  We still should be at a pretty damn good rate (relatively speaking) by the end of May.  

Cases continue to drop in my area and I believe largely across the country.  In my area (150K city) - it has been 6, 4, 2 and 10 in last 4 days. The county I live in has been doing even better (vs. its old numbers). Will be interesting to see how the trend continues as more and more people get 2nd shots and others continue to get 1st shots.  Can we start to take all the oxygen out of this fire. I sure hope.  

Not if it continues to flame across the world and the West hides behind patent rights over saving lives and stopping the pandemic cold. 

Nearly 1.3 billion adults globally in 2020 said they would not get a Covid-19 vaccine if one were offered to them at no cost, according to a new Gallup poll released on Monday.

The poll, which surveyed more than 300,000 people across 117 countries last year, showed that 68% of adults worldwide would get a vaccine if one were offered to them for free. Some 29% of those polled said they would opt out of vaccination, and another 3% said they did not know.

That global average falls below the range required for a herd immunity to the novel coronavirus, which experts have estimated as falling between 70% and 85%.

www.cnn.com

6 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think the early adopters(?) would have jumped regardless of when they were first allowed. Although I think there is a lot of merit to not valuing something that is free.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded 182,874 wasted doses as of late March, three months into the country's effort to vaccinate the masses against the coronavirus. CVS was responsible for nearly half, and Walgreens was responsible for 21 percent, or nearly 128,500 wasted shots combined.

CDC data suggest that the companies have wasted more doses than states, U.S. territories and federal agencies combined. Pfizer's vaccine, which in December was the first to be deployed and initially required storage at ultracold temperatures, made up nearly 60 percent of the tossed doses.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/national-pharmacy-chains-wasted-hundreds-083110241.html

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recorded 182,874 wasted doses as of late March, three months into the country's effort to vaccinate the masses against the coronavirus. CVS was responsible for nearly half, and Walgreens was responsible for 21 percent, or nearly 128,500 wasted shots combined.

CDC data suggest that the companies have wasted more doses than states, U.S. territories and federal agencies combined. Pfizer's vaccine, which in December was the first to be deployed and initially required storage at ultracold temperatures, made up nearly 60 percent of the tossed doses.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/national-pharmacy-chains-wasted-hundreds-083110241.html

That....doesn't seem like a lot?

That has to be mostly from the initial roll-out when they were only giving it out to "group A" high-risk and older patients. The supply was actually outpacing the demand at that point. 

I remember a lot of people being accused of line jumping at one point because they were  giving the vaccines out to anyone that happened to be there just so they didn't have to throw them out.

Got my second Moderna shot today. If it truly is some conspiracy, the people administering shots are fooled. They are so professional and nice. So far 3.5 hours into the shot and no symptoms. I would be all for having no symptoms. I always ask people about their shots for smalltalk and I'll tell you, there's no rhyme or reason. Some young peeps no problems; some get very sick a few days; most older peeps have had no symptoms, then again a couple got hammered. And some Pfizer some Moderna. Doesn't seem to matter in terms of bad symptoms or no symptoms, Moderna vs. Pfizer.

I don't want to get political, and can't get political on the board here, but I am very upset this virus happened to get unleashed on the world and am very concerned about the future of the world, considering this thing is currently crippling a few countries. You can probably imagine who I am blaming but I will not go there and get suspended.

In conclusion, the peeps administering the shots in this part of the country have been very nice/professional. They even handed out a gift bag full of gifts to the fully vaccinated today at the place I went. The woman was quite reassuring, saying to get ready for flu like symptoms but to not panic if they do not go away right away.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Got my second Moderna shot today. If it truly is some conspiracy, the people administering shots are fooled. They are so professional and nice. So far 3.5 hours into the shot and no symptoms. I would be all for having no symptoms. I always ask people about their shots for smalltalk and I'll tell you, there's no rhyme or reason. Some young peeps no problems; some get very sick a few days; most older peeps have had no symptoms, then again a couple got hammered. And some Pfizer some Moderna. Doesn't seem to matter in terms of bad symptoms or no symptoms, Moderna vs. Pfizer.

I don't want to get political, and can't get political on the board here, but I am very upset this virus happened to get unleashed on the world and am very concerned about the future of the world, considering this thing is currently crippling a few countries. You can probably imagine who I am blaming but I will not go there and get suspended.

In conclusion, the peeps administering the shots in this part of the country have been very nice/professional. They even handed out a gift bag full of gifts to the fully vaccinated today at the place I went. The woman was quite reassuring, saying to get ready for flu like symptoms but to not panic if they do not go away right away.

Greg, when I got my second shot I was fine the rest of the day. The next day I felt like I was hungover. Not sick, but like I had two or three more beers more than necessary the night before and I needed a greasy meal to feel better. I took a nap in the afternoon and felt largely back to normal after that. 

Thank you for doing your part. Ever since full vaccinations really started kicking into gear in America, cases have been trending heavily downward. You getting vaccinated is like a strikeout with runners on base in the eighth. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it likely helps.

• Like 1

I brought up my stance on people getting vaccinated and how I didn’t understand the vaccine hesitant. The reasons people gave were fascinating:

- One woman wouldn’t get it as of now, saying that she had COVID in December and the extremely rare cases of true reinfection are actually less than people having breakthrough positive cases after being vaccinated. Her doctor said there is zero reason for her to get it right now. Research she has shows that the first shot boosts your system if you’ve had Covid and they aren’t sure about the benefits of the second one. Her 18 year old son had Covid and works in health care so he got the shot, but her husband and her 13 and 17 year old daughters won’t get it. 39 million cases and 10,000 reinfections don’t convince her it will impact her. She provided the following links:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0WykDIyphOZmyiNKk16T_7sPVuSjmRK3d5O0rky1x9JxCWNAVen8En6LQ

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/04/previous-covid-19-may-cut-risk-reinfection-84?fbclid=IwAR2PgNjs46hryGyJ1eZgsT9tedn_dMxu-_M3Wvj7TFC_QSggNIeiVfYrV0Y

- Another lady said she won’t get the vaccine because she has no allergies, skin problems, flus or colds in 25 years. She said if she puts the poison in her body she may not be able to eat peanuts or seafood or have skin problems. She believes there are too many unanswered questions about he vaccine. She believes that as more people get vaccinated that the adverse effects people experience will only increase. She said that there have been cases where vaccinated people would still have severe symptoms and die.

- A mom who served in the military and was vaccinated against anthrax for years will not get it because the vaccines have not had full approval or enough clinical trials to make her think they are remotely safe and for how long. She believes there are too many what if’s and if nobody is held accountable it is wrong. Her doctor told her she’s not in the high risk category so she can wait. She also won’t wear a mask if she doesn’t have to.

- My former representative who did get the vaccine said that it’s possible people aren’t getting the vaccines because the FDA didn’t fully approve them yet. Also because Kamala Harris said that she didn’t trust vaccines from the Trump administration. Or because the government hit pause on J&J with a few cases out of millions, letting on that there had to be more than the blood clots that led to the government’s pause. And because Dr. Fauci has a never ending confusion campaign.

12 hours ago, The Beast said:

I brought up my stance on people getting vaccinated and how I didn’t understand the vaccine hesitant. The reasons people gave were fascinating:

- One woman wouldn’t get it as of now, saying that she had COVID in December and the extremely rare cases of true reinfection are actually less than people having breakthrough positive cases after being vaccinated. Her doctor said there is zero reason for her to get it right now. Research she has shows that the first shot boosts your system if you’ve had Covid and they aren’t sure about the benefits of the second one. Her 18 year old son had Covid and works in health care so he got the shot, but her husband and her 13 and 17 year old daughters won’t get it. 39 million cases and 10,000 reinfections don’t convince her it will impact her. She provided the following links:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/lasting-immunity-found-after-recovery-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0WykDIyphOZmyiNKk16T_7sPVuSjmRK3d5O0rky1x9JxCWNAVen8En6LQ

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/04/previous-covid-19-may-cut-risk-reinfection-84?fbclid=IwAR2PgNjs46hryGyJ1eZgsT9tedn_dMxu-_M3Wvj7TFC_QSggNIeiVfYrV0Y

- Another lady said she won’t get the vaccine because she has no allergies, skin problems, flus or colds in 25 years. She said if she puts the poison in her body she may not be able to eat peanuts or seafood or have skin problems. She believes there are too many unanswered questions about he vaccine. She believes that as more people get vaccinated that the adverse effects people experience will only increase. She said that there have been cases where vaccinated people would still have severe symptoms and die.

- A mom who served in the military and was vaccinated against anthrax for years will not get it because the vaccines have not had full approval or enough clinical trials to make her think they are remotely safe and for how long. She believes there are too many what if’s and if nobody is held accountable it is wrong. Her doctor told her she’s not in the high risk category so she can wait. She also won’t wear a mask if she doesn’t have to.

- My former representative who did get the vaccine said that it’s possible people aren’t getting the vaccines because the FDA didn’t fully approve them yet. Also because Kamala Harris said that she didn’t trust vaccines from the Trump administration. Or because the government hit pause on J&J with a few cases out of millions, letting on that there had to be more than the blood clots that led to the government’s pause. And because Dr. Fauci has a never ending confusion campaign.

The average person walking around barely has the horsepower in their brain to operate complex machinery like a fork and knife without hurting themselves.  Most of these mouthbreathers would have died off in previous times due to being eaten by a predator or dying from some disease.  Unfortunately, the same science that they revolt against keeps them alive even when they do stupid things.  

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

The average person walking around barely has the horsepower in their brain to operate complex machinery like a fork and knife without hurting themselves.  Most of these mouthbreathers would have died off in previous times due to being eaten by a predator or dying from some disease.  Unfortunately, the same science that they revolt against keeps them alive even when they do stupid things.  

I didn’t agree with them, but I appreciated their perspectives so I could at least understand where they were coming from.

22 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I didn’t agree with them, but I appreciated their perspectives so I could at least understand where they were coming from.

Feels like political writers have been listening intently to those with contrarian views from small town Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and PA for years and years now.

56 minutes ago, The Beast said:

If you know them, you are in a better position to supply alternative information than I am or anyone else in government or science is. In case you haven't seen this... 

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

I will say this, before I got my second shot yesterday I was waiting and reading the handout on the Moderna vaccine. I laughed to myself because "common sense Greg" would never have accepted the shot after reading the material. It said the vaccine is not yet approved. It said it is unknown if there will be any long term side effects. I mean, after reading the handout there is ONLY one reason for one to be vaccinated and why I was vaccinated -- because frankly common sense says at this juncture it was unwise to inject the vaccine into my body.

To get the vaccine you have to buy in to the fact COVID-19 is extremely serious, a once in a lifetime (hopefully?) threat to the entire country and entire world. By accepting the fact is it extremely serious (I accept the fact if I get Covid I could die gasping for air in a hospital bed; again many do not believe this is realistic) I willingly took shot No. 2 yesterday.

I'm convinced those not getting vaccinated do not think this is a serious disease, do not believe Fauci and all the politicians and are quite worried the vaccine has not yet been approved with no knowledge of long term side effects. My deduction (partly because of what's happening in India; I do believe the crisis is horrendous) is that this is a vicious serious disease, one that I do not want to get and one I do not want to inadvertently spread to others.

IN CONCLUSION ... after reading the handout I can understand why peeps would be hesitant. My decision was to ward off "common sense Greg" forget for a minute my disdain for politics and politicians and go ahead and get the vaccine.

(So far sore arm, nothing else yet).

Peace out.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you know them, you are in a better position to supply alternative information than I am or anyone else in government or science is. In case you haven't seen this... 

I don’t know the people, only the representative. Since I don’t speak with anti-vaxxers or vaccine hesitant people I was amazed at their willingness to share their perspectives without belittling me or resorting to personal attacks. I’ll have to watch the video later...

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I will say this, before I got my second shot yesterday I was waiting and reading the handout on the Moderna vaccine. I laughed to myself because "common sense Greg" would never have accepted the shot after reading the material. It said the vaccine is not yet approved. It said it is unknown if there will be any long term side effects. I mean, after reading the handout there is ONLY one reason for one to be vaccinated and why I was vaccinated -- because frankly common sense says at this juncture it was unwise to inject the vaccine into my body.

To get the vaccine you have to buy in to the fact COVID-19 is extremely serious, a once in a lifetime (hopefully?) threat to the entire country and entire world. By accepting the fact is it extremely serious (I accept the fact if I get Covid I could die gasping for air in a hospital bed; again many do not believe this is realistic) I willingly took shot No. 2 yesterday.

I'm convinced those not getting vaccinated do not think this is a serious disease, do not believe Fauci and all the politicians and are quite worried the vaccine has not yet been approved with no knowledge of long term side effects. My deduction (partly because of what's happening in India; I do believe the crisis is horrendous) is that this is a vicious serious disease, one that I do not want to get and one I do not want to inadvertently spread to others.

IN CONCLUSION ... after reading the handout I can understand why peeps would be hesitant. My decision was to ward off "common sense Greg" forget for a minute my disdain for politics and politicians and go ahead and get the vaccine.

Peace out.

Thanks for getting the vaccine!

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Peace out.

Thanks for doing your part, Greg.  I know you wrestled with this 

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Thanks for getting the vaccine!

Thank you for the summary. And thank you G-man for putting us one person closer to ending this. 

• Like 1