COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 hours ago, The Beast said:

I don’t know the people, only the representative. Since I don’t speak with anti-vaxxers or vaccine hesitant people I was amazed at their willingness to share their perspectives without belittling me or resorting to personal attacks. I’ll have to watch the video later...

Thanks for getting the vaccine!

Thanks back at you. I feel good about my body (knock on wood). So far, 29 hours since the shot and just a sore arm. Hope that continues.

8 hours ago, Texsox said:

Greg I want to buy you a coffee someday. 

Sweet. I do like coffee a lot. My pet peeve is it must be hot, hot hot.

I actually like cold beer, too, though I've given it up at various junctures and am currently in such a spell. Once COVID hit, I was upset at the status of the world and decided no harm in having a couple beers a week. So after the third attempt at buying some Miller Light and the third time the store didn't have any (WTH?) I took that as a sign and went back on no drinking hiatus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sweet. I do like coffee a lot. My pet peeve is it must be hot, hot hot.

I actually like cold beer, too, though I've given it up at various junctures and am currently in such a spell. Once COVID hit, I was upset at the status of the world and decided no harm in having a couple beers a week. So after the third attempt at buying some Miller Light and the third time the store didn't have any (WTH?) I took that as a sign and went back on no drinking hiatus.

Well that’s clearly your problem right there.  I’m going to drive to KC buddy and introduce you to double IPA’s …….

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:12 AM, Harry Chappas said:

Greg when Brother Rice baseball is playing, go to Boulevard Brewing and watch them on BRTV.  

I can be slow. Did u mean Boulevard Brewery in KC? They have tours there and give you a taste. Is Boulevard B founded by a Bro Rice grad or something? p.s. The Bro Rice baseball field is in a weird spot. Do those cars get hit by a ton of foul balls? And do some of the houses across the street even get hit or cars driving by? The parking lot is right there. We had tryouts by position at Br Rice. Third base and SS tried out one day. I knew I was gonna get cut quickly when there were 30 guys lined up at 3B. Geez. We had a lot more students back then.

Edited by greg775

I was thinking of a separate thread but it fits here.

Three things that closed during the past year that I’m sad about. 

Bexar Stage (pronounced bare and the county name). Theater with comedy and classes.

Leon Valley Cafe local couple with a thriving restaurant that couldn’t survive being shut down.

Local places in general that closed while chains managed to hang on. 

I’m grateful that Metro Taco Shop remains open. I’m also grateful that financially I was in a great field that also valued my health and safety.

22 hours ago, Texsox said:

I was thinking of a separate thread but it fits here.

Three things that closed during the past year that I’m sad about. 

Bexar Stage (pronounced bare and the county name). Theater with comedy and classes.

Leon Valley Cafe local couple with a thriving restaurant that couldn’t survive being shut down.

Local places in general that closed while chains managed to hang on. 

I’m grateful that Metro Taco Shop remains open. I’m also grateful that financially I was in a great field that also valued my health and safety.

had a few gut punches, but overall am amazed how many stayed alive. Was really concerned about empty bottle, but it looks like it's through it. Fitzgerald's had a new owner start in march 2020, he's kept it going.

My longtime haircutter closed up shop and moved home, which was sad. And it took me a long time to find her, someone who would not talk to me while I was a hostage in their barber chairs while they wielded a weapon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Quin said:

Big news.

Get vaccinated, especially if you live in Ohio.

Great news. Now I want to know how the numbers of fully vaccinated people shake out compared to people with one dose. I also want to know if at indoor places if it will be an honor system with not wearing masks. Or do people bring their cards to prove it? Either way I’m glad I’ve got the vaccine and a community of people who have the vaccine that I don’t need to worry about.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Great news. Now I want to know how the numbers of fully vaccinated people shake out compared to people with one dose. I also want to know if at indoor places if it will be an honor system with not wearing masks. Or do people bring their cards to prove it? Either way I’m glad I’ve got the vaccine and a community of people who have the vaccine that I don’t need to worry about.

I guess we start seeing a lot more businesses telling people to flash their vaccination cards.

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I honestly doubt that many will do this

The argument I saw for it is that they'll be able to market it - like, hey, we're a safe restaurant for you to take your mask off in because everyone here is vaccinated. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

The argument I saw for it is that they'll be able to market it - like, hey, we're a safe restaurant for you to take your mask off in because everyone here is vaccinated. 

idk, like 90% of people going out don't give a shit, a good number of bars have been functionally open outside of like walking in the front door with a mask for a while now. I'd be surprised if businesses are going to start turning people away. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

had a few gut punches, but overall am amazed how many stayed alive. Was really concerned about empty bottle, but it looks like it's through it. Fitzgerald's had a new owner start in march 2020, he's kept it going.

My longtime haircutter closed up shop and moved home, which was sad. And it took me a long time to find her, someone who would not talk to me while I was a hostage in their barber chairs while they wielded a weapon.

Haha - you are like me.  I'm one of those people that isn't very interested in having a conversation when my hair is getting cut. Part is probably because at heart I'm an introvert - but for my job I am talking all day every day, so when I'm not working, I very much need my quiet time to re-energize, etc.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mqr said:

I honestly doubt that many will do this

I just don't understand how administratively they handle this.  Do I really need to carry my card - are people really going to "check ids" and confirm the card. Just seems like - either say we are ready to open up or just come up with guidelines that you can live with, without all the extra compliance.  

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

would be hilarious if restaurants started "vaccinated sections" like the old smoking/nonsmoking sections...with similar protection.

I think some baseball teams are doing vaccinated sections.  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think some baseball teams are doing vaccinated sections.  

I think that's totally fair outside, just thinking more of my old job at steak n shake where there was a 6" high plexiglass window dividing a smoking booth vs a non smoking booth.

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I just don't understand how administratively they handle this.  

You can't. Those cards aren't legal documents, and you think cops are gonna raid these places like a college bar?

It's going to take some getting used to, but I welcome the fact Joey said today we can go unmasked as long as we are vaccinated, which I am. I'm looking forward to our library letting people in there and some of the fast food joints/coffee shops where I used to like to go to work on stuff on my computer, open up again. Today is a monumental day. Pres said it's OK to go maskless. We've come a long way.

As an aside, I am a little concerned Bill Maher just got COVID despite being fully vaccinated. That's not good. But no more masks is good.