COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Haha - you are like me.  I'm one of those people that isn't very interested in having a conversation when my hair is getting cut. Part is probably because at heart I'm an introvert - but for my job I am talking all day every day, so when I'm not working, I very much need my quiet time to re-energize, etc.  

The absolute WORST is when they stop cutting your hair to really make their point when they are having a conversation with you. I'll entertain my barber with some small talk, but when he stops cutting to finish his story, that's when I have an issue.....keep cutting, I got places to be. 

I will probably wear a mask around people I don’t know at the store at least initially. I probably won’t wear one outside at a Sox game or when I’m gathered with familiar people outside. If I went in to the office I would still wear one on the train. I’ll probably wear one if I take the train in during flu and cold seasons.

I do wonder what will happen in schools since my wife is a teacher, she may still a mask when she goes back to work this fall, although things probably will be even better by then. Hopefully enough kids get vaccinated so it is safe for all involved.

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Haha - you are like me.  I'm one of those people that isn't very interested in having a conversation when my hair is getting cut. Part is probably because at heart I'm an introvert - but for my job I am talking all day every day, so when I'm not working, I very much need my quiet time to re-energize, etc.  

This is me. Making small talk with people just because...not my idea of fun. I don’t really care about you. You don’t care about me. I’ll still give you a good tip.

When I donate blood and get haircuts, I purposely wear nondescript clothing. I don’t need to hear about the time you went to Chicago. I’m firmly in the Jay Cutler “Don’t care” camp.

• Like 1

I go to Sports Clips and even though I’m an introvert I just sit and talk to the girl cutting my hair. Many of them are moms so they have a lot to say about kids or owning a home. But I don’t force a conversation if it just isn’t there. Although I have to say, I definitely should have gotten dates with the hair stylists back in the day. There are some very nice and good looking stylists there.

Do the people who take just the first Pfizer or Moderna shot and skip No. 2 have protection from the virus at all? Just curious.

I figure if you are going to get the first shot, why the heck wouldn't you complete the deal? Seems strange to commit to just one. You either believe in the shot(s) or you don't.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Do the people who take just the first Pfizer or Moderna shot and skip No. 2 have protection from the virus at all? Just curious.

I figure if you are going to get the first shot, why the heck wouldn't you complete the deal? Seems strange to commit to just one. You either believe in the shot(s) or you don't.

They say after first Pfizer shot, you're like 80% immune, 95% after second. In comparison, the Johnson and Johnson one is I think 60%?

Edited by manbearpuig

42 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

They say after first Pfizer shot, you're like 80% immune, 95% after second. In comparison, the Johnson and Johnson one is I think 60%?

What about moderna, greg's choice. Man I must be close to immune cause I got my second shot a week ago. Hope all our restaurants open up soon.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

What about moderna, greg's choice. Man I must be close to immune cause I got my second shot a week ago. Hope all our restaurants open up soon.

I think Pfizer and Moderna are similar in efficacy.  One shot gives you 75%-80% protection and the second shot gives you 95% protection.

• Like 1

It will be interesting how businesses react to the CDC's mask mandate update.  No business will be able to check each person to see if they have had their shots.  If a store or bar or restaurant says vaccinated customers don't need to wear a mask, I would imagine most people will not wear a mask in their establishment, vaccinated or not.

I would hope that the vaccinated people will still outnumber the non-vaccinated (especially the anti-vaxxers) and it ultimately won't matter.  But we'll get to a point, probably rather soon, when we'll be at a stagnant percentage of fully vaccinated people.  Hopefully the percentage will be enough to keep the virus down and outbreaks can be managed.  Let's face it (pun intended), we're all tired of wearing masks.  The CDC has said you can lose the mask if you're vaccinated.  I think most people will stop wearing masks, and we'll start to see businesses drop mask mandates.

I'm somewhat torn.  I do think as a fully vaccinated person, I have the right to stop wearing my mask as long as where I am doesn't have a mandate.  But I think I'll feel...I don't know if guilty is the right word...seeing others wear masks when I'm not.  I do think many establishments will keep mask policies in place for a while longer, which makes it easy.  Once mandates are dropped (in businesses) and I start to see more and more people not wearing masks, I'll probably shed mine.

All this being said, I've liked going damn near 18 months without a cold or the flu or a fever or a stomach virus.  I could see mask-wearing being seasonal and plenty of people with masks in flu season.  They obviously work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

2nd shot uptake rate is greater than 90%, last I saw I think it was about 95%. So most people are getting both!

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

It will be interesting how businesses react to the CDC's mask mandate update.  No business will be able to check each person to see if they have had their shots.  If a store or bar or restaurant says vaccinated customers don't need to wear a mask, I would imagine most people will not wear a mask in their establishment, vaccinated or not.

I would hope that the vaccinated people will still outnumber the non-vaccinated (especially the anti-vaxxers) and it ultimately won't matter.  But we'll get to a point, probably rather soon, when we'll be at a stagnant percentage of fully vaccinated people.  Hopefully the percentage will be enough to keep the virus down and outbreaks can be managed.  Let's face it (pun intended), we're all tired of wearing masks.  The CDC has said you can lose the mask if you're vaccinated.  I think most people will stop wearing masks, and we'll start to see businesses drop mask mandates.

I'm somewhat torn.  I do think as a fully vaccinated person, I have the right to stop wearing my mask as long as where I am doesn't have a mandate.  But I think I'll feel...I don't know if guilty is the right word...seeing others wear masks when I'm not.  I do think many establishments will keep mask policies in place for a while longer, which makes it easy.  Once mandates are dropped (in businesses) and I start to see more and more people not wearing masks, I'll probably shed mine.

All this being said, I've liked going damn near 18 months without a cold or the flu or a fever or a stomach virus.  I could see mask-wearing being seasonal and plenty of people with masks in flu season.  They obviously work.

Pretty much everywhere outside of healthcare and maybe schools will be rolling back mask requirements is my guess.

I'd like to see what the underlying data/studies the CDC is relying on for this change actually are. The single study they relied on to change school guidance from 6' spacing to 3' spacing was appallingly bad. Hopefully their claims that vaccinated people just aren't transmissible even if they do get infected are based on something more solid.

We're at a little more than a third of the US population being fully vaccinated at this point. Case counts are down a lot since winter, but we still have tens of thousands of cases a day. And I'm not sure where it's going to leave parents with unvaccinated children who won't even be eligible for a shot for another 5+ months. This seems very premature to me.

e: for example

Edited by StrangeSox

7 hours ago, hogan873 said:

i respect your position. Here's mine. No guilt at all in shedding the mask. We have been told to follow science this whole pandemic. Science says if you are fully vaccinated to take off the mask. Time to take it off. Everybody is saying the fully vaccinated should take off their masks. Time to go back to normal. Each local community's "leaders" who were so power hungry and public in their comments during the early portion of the pandemic should be just as forceful now. Open things up and tell people if they are vaccinated to take off the damn mask. Biden says so. Science says so.

p.s. People should encourage their neighbors to get the shots. Those who have no symptoms from the shots like me should spread the word that horrific symptoms are really rare, really rare, just like they are with the flu vaccine, any vaccine. If those people get the shot that only leaves the group that thinks this is a big conspiracy and won't get the shot no matter what. There is a group of people who won't get the shots cause they are merely afraid of symptoms now and down the line from the vaccine. They can be reasoned with with kindness and logic.

Edited by greg775

You know what is going to be a hassle? Having to bring your mask just in case the store or church or game you are at will still require masks. I think it's dirty, unsanitary to stuff mine in my pocket so I like to wear it around my neck and pull it up when it's time. It's going to be annoying to carry it around "just in case" this store or restaurant or library or church still requires masking (I know this is all minor, but we entitled Americans have a lot of pet peeves and this could be one).

Edited by greg775

FWIW here's the CDC's actual guidance page

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Here's the linked underlying scientific data they're basing their guidance on, which appears to have been last updated on April 2nd:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fmore%2Ffully-vaccinated-people.htm

Here's their conclusion:

COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized in the United States have been shown to be efficacious and effective against SARS-CoV-2 infections, including asymptomatic infection, symptomatic disease, severe disease, and death. These findings, along with the potential for reduced viral load in vaccinated people who develop COVID-19, suggest that any associated transmission risk is likely to be substantially reduced in vaccinated people.

11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

FWIW here's the CDC's actual guidance page

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Here's the linked underlying scientific data they're basing their guidance on, which appears to have been last updated on April 2nd:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fmore%2Ffully-vaccinated-people.htm

Here's their conclusion:

Good stuff! Thank u. Masks soon are a thing of the past (except in packed indoor places which is going to be an annoying exception).

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

You know what is going to be a hassle? Having to bring your mask just in case the store or church or game you are at will still require masks. I think it's dirty, unsanitary to stuff mine in my pocket so I like to wear it around my neck and pull it up when it's time. It's going to be annoying to carry it around "just in case" this store or restaurant or library or church still requires masking (I know this is all minor, but we entitled Americans have a lot of pet peeves and this could be one).

What about in your car, or do you not drive?

31 minutes ago, Big Hurtin said:

What about in your car, or do you not drive?

I have three masks in my car as backups. ... I don't want to walk back to my car when I learn the store or church is requiring the mask.

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

2nd shot uptake rate is greater than 90%, last I saw I think it was about 95%. So most people are getting both!

Pretty much everywhere outside of healthcare and maybe schools will be rolling back mask requirements is my guess.

I'd like to see what the underlying data/studies the CDC is relying on for this change actually are. The single study they relied on to change school guidance from 6' spacing to 3' spacing was appallingly bad. Hopefully their claims that vaccinated people just aren't transmissible even if they do get infected are based on something more solid.

We're at a little more than a third of the US population being fully vaccinated at this point. Case counts are down a lot since winter, but we still have tens of thousands of cases a day. And I'm not sure where it's going to leave parents with unvaccinated children who won't even be eligible for a shot for another 5+ months. This seems very premature to me.

e: for example

We are debating what to do for our 6 month year old son until he can get the vaccine too. Pretty much everyone we know is vaccinated, but I don’t know that we will have anyone who hasn’t been vaccinated be around him until he gets the vaccine. We will probably let family and friends in without masks at some point soon, but my wife needs to feel comfortable with it first (I already am if they are vaccinated).

Can anyone with legal training or who practice law confirm if businesses can mandate masks in their store, regardless of the vaccine or not? I saw several answers saying yes but I wanted to confirm.

I thought it was interesting that a conservative was saying this, but I think he’s trying to get the point across to the vaccine hesitant and anti vaxxers.

https://morningshots.thebulwark.com/p/masks-off-now-bring-on-the-vaccine

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Have you researched places that you go to regularly to see if they still require masks?

27 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Have you researched places that you go to regularly to see if they still require masks?

Actually Douglas County Ks is probably the most conservative county in the country regarding being "safe" regarding COVID so I am to assume the mask mandate will be kept intact here at least through the summer. Heck, our library still won't let people in there for more than 15 minutes at a time. I have two go-to coffee shops that let you sit in there but most coffee shops/fast food/Starbucks/Duncan Donuts type places only have drive through and my church still is socially distanced seating with limits on total capacity for a Mass/wedding/funeral.

Edited by greg775

The northeastern province of Buriram has become the first province in Thailand to mandate COVID-19 vaccination for all individuals aged 18 and older, with possible penalties as high as two years in prison and a maximum of 60,000 Baht.

Buriram Governor Thatchakorn Hatthathayakul urged every individual, aged 18 or more, living or working in Buriram, to submit their COVID-19 risk assessment form and apply for vaccination through the publicly available channels by May 31st.

The channels include door-to-door approach by public health volunteers, online registration or personal visits to hospitals or health offices in the province. Failure to apply by May 31st is liable to one month in prison and/or a fine of 10,000 Baht.

"Anutin (Thai health minister) backed Buriram for making Covid vaccines compulsory for high-risk groups with a fine of up to 40,000 baht and a jail term of up to two years."

https://twitter.com/erich_parpart/status/1393146410342649861

Ironically, Thailand only has limited amounts of AstroZeneca (clotting concerns, as well as over women under 45 and pregnancies), Sinovac and Sputnik...which everyone is wary of for varying reasons.  No access to US vaccines, even in private hospitals.

Imagines how Greg would protest against this...and the further irony of jailing anyone pretty much ensures at-risk individuals will really get sick due to overcrowded Thai prison conditions.

Edited by caulfield12

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/14/africa/seychelles-covid-vaccination-infection-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

(CNN)One of the most vaccinated countries in the world is experiencing a Covid-19 outbreak.

While other nations struggle to secure enough vaccines, the Seychelles is in the enviable position of having already fully immunized more than 61.4% of the population.

But that hasn't been enough to stop the spread of Covid.

Over the past month, case numbers have been rising in the Indian Ocean archipelago, prompting authorities to impose restrictions in the country of 98,000 people. Data released Thursday shows there are more than 2,700 active cases.

Edited by caulfield12