COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

Our church passed new rules. Wat you think of them? I wish it'd open up more.

-- We no longer have to sign up to say we're coming.

-- We still have to wear masks.

-- Still must social distance.

-- We can now sing into our masks. No singing before.

-- Not much had changed cause we gotta wear masks and gotta social distance (every other pew, three in a pew unless u in same family).

I’m going grocery shopping at Mariano’s and Aldi soon. I’ll bring my mask and wear it even though I am vaccinated because I am doing whatever I can to protect my son since he can’t get vaccinated yet. I’m not sure if that will do anything but I feel better wearing it. Hopefully nobody at either store will have a problem with that.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Our church passed new rules. Wat you think of them? I wish it'd open up more.

-- We no longer have to sign up to say we're coming.

-- We still have to wear masks.

-- Still must social distance.

-- We can now sing into our masks. No singing before.

-- Not much had changed cause we gotta wear masks and gotta social distance (every other pew, three in a pew unless u in same family).

There's nothing wrong with them wanting to be cautious. Ideally between you being vaccinated and numbers continuing to drop, maybe it can get even more back to normal as the spring and summer continues. Church attendance tends to skew older and more conservative, and I would imagine vaccination rates wouldn't be as high among church attenders, so it just seems like they want to help protect their parishioners. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:47 PM, The Beast said:

I’m going grocery shopping at Mariano’s and Aldi soon. I’ll bring my mask and wear it even though I am vaccinated because I am doing whatever I can to protect my son since he can’t get vaccinated yet. I’m not sure if that will do anything but I feel better wearing it. Hopefully nobody at either store will have a problem with that.

Went to Mariano's yesterday.  They now have a sign on the doors stating that masks are not required for fully vaccinated people.  I wore mine in and wanted to see what percentage of folks were wearing masks before I made a decision.  I'd say it was about 50/50.  I eventually took my mask off, but it felt really weird not having on one.

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Went to Mariano's yesterday.  They now have a sign on the doors stating that masks are not required for fully vaccinated people.  I wore mine in and wanted to see what percentage of folks were wearing masks before I made a decision.  I'd say it was about 50/50.  I eventually took my mask off, but it felt really weird not having on one.

I have yet to walk into a store and see less than 90% of the people wearing masks. Even the ones that say they aren't required for fully vaccinated people. I have yet to see a single store employee not wearing one as well.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:44 PM, caulfield12 said:

Now Trump is claiming he’s seen evidence the virus originated in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Of course, he won’t dare provide it.

President Trump on Thursday claimed he’d seen evidence linking the coronavirus to a lab in the Chinese city of Wuhan — but didn’t offer up any details.

“Yes, I have,” Trump told White House reporters when asked whether he’s seen proof that would suggest the virus originated in the lab.

When pressed on what gave him that confidence, he said: “I can’t tell you that. I am not allowed to tell you that.”

Earlier Thursday, the US intelligence community said it agreed with the scientific consensus that the novel coronavirus was not “manmade or genetically modified.”

The P4 laboratory at the Wuhan Institute of VirologyAFP via Getty Images

But it confirmed that it was looking into “whether the outbreak began through contact with infected animals or if it was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan.”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/trump-claims-he-has-seen-evidence-linking-coronavirus-to-chinese-lab/

Might have been wrong to joke...

28 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I have yet to walk into a store and see less than 90% of the people wearing masks. Even the ones that say they aren't required for fully vaccinated people. I have yet to see a single store employee not wearing one as well.

I was surprised yesterday.  I'd say about 30% or more of the employees were not wearing masks.  My daughter knows a couple people that work there, and they said it's not mandatory for fully vaccinated employees.  My son works at WalMart, and employees are still required to wear masks for now.

I think we'll start to see more and more places drop the mask mandates, even though no one is checking to see if people are vaccinated.  With close to 50% of the 16+ population fully vaccinated, I would think that the majority (more than half) of folks without masks are vaccinated.

5 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I shop at the Mariano’s and Aldi in Westmont and Darien and everyone I saw was wearing masks even though the stores mentioned the CDC guidance.  Maybe it depends on where you live and I think it will change soon, but I was thinking that people are wearing them because they just don’t trust other people to be truthful.

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I shop at the Mariano’s and Aldi in Westmont and Darien and everyone I saw was wearing masks even though the stores mentioned the CDC guidance.  Maybe it depends on where you live and I think it will change soon, but I was thinking that people are wearing them because they just don’t trust other people to be truthful.

It's a real concern.  A lot of anti-vaxxers are most likely also anti-maskers.  So, I would bet as soon as they heard the CDC's latest guidance they disposed of the masks knowing no one is going to challenge them.  They'll never change, at least most won't, so it'll be up to the rest to get vaccinated so they won't matter (as much).

5 hours ago, hogan873 said:

It's a real concern.  A lot of anti-vaxxers are most likely also anti-maskers.  So, I would bet as soon as they heard the CDC's latest guidance they disposed of the masks knowing no one is going to challenge them.  They'll never change, at least most won't, so it'll be up to the rest to get vaccinated so they won't matter (as much).

All stores in my town here are still requiring masks. I haven't been in one without the requirement on the door. This area, people don't believe the CDC guidelines. They are acting as if we're still in a lockdown basically. Most fast food places only drive thru. Barber shops, dentists, all still with the mask requirement and weird check in policies keeping you in your car a long while.

The fact the country is loosening requirements even though tons of people haven't been vaccinated is strange. There doesn't seem to be much concern the anti vax people will catch COVID which is why I get skeptical about how serious a problem COVID ever has been. I mean shouldn't the CDC and Joe and Kamala be concerned that just 58 percent of the country's peeps have had one shot? With all these unvaxed people out there, you'd think the spectre of them all catching COVID and needing hospitalizing would be as great as ever.

This is all weird and with no elections on the horizon for a good while I'm always tempted to wonder how much politics factored into stuff this past 15 months. Just talking out loud. I still am vaxxed and masked.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

All stores in my town here are still requiring masks. I haven't been in one without the requirement on the door. This area, people don't believe the CDC guidelines. They are acting as if we're still in a lockdown basically. Most fast food places only drive thru. Barber shops, dentists, all still with the mask requirement and weird check in policies keeping you in your car a long while.

The fact the country is loosening requirements even though tons of people haven't been vaccinated is strange. There doesn't seem to be much concern the anti vax people will catch COVID which is why I get skeptical about how serious a problem COVID ever has been. I mean shouldn't the CDC and Joe and Kamala be concerned that just 58 percent of the country's peeps have had one shot? With all these unvaxed people out there, you'd think the spectre of them all catching COVID and needing hospitalizing would be as great as ever.

This is all weird and with no elections on the horizon for a good while I'm always tempted to wonder how much politics factored into stuff this past 15 months. Just talking out loud. I still am vaxxed and masked.

How many people need to die for it to be serious?

8 hours ago, hogan873 said:

I went to Costco with my wife.  I saw about 4 people without their masks.  I turned to my wife as we are both wearing masks and are both vaccinated.  I bet you that they are not vaccinated is what she said to me.  Then two minutes later one of them told an older lady that she was a sheep and there is no virus.  Case closed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

China will have a lot of answering to do...or not considering our current administration doesn't care much to stand up to them.

Except by actively working with partners such as South Korea, India, Japan, Australia, the EU (as a whole)...multilateral approaches, they're far more effectively pinning China down than anything Trump ever did.

He got some Ivanka patents protected, lost the farmers much of their markets to the point they had to be subsidized in the billions from taxpayer money, ended up INCREASING the trade deficit that he was obsessed with.

Neverthless, Biden's getting far more cooperation from the UK, France, etc, against 5G.

The biggest holdouts are Germany (all their carmakers export tons of vehicles to China, pipelines with Russia, and then wanting to use Huawei for 5G) and the Netherlands, because they don't want to lose a huge potential market for ASML, which manufactures the equipment for chip production that the Chinese desperately need...otherwise, China will try to do it on its own and then completely become independent of Europe, which is a scary proposition for most of the world that's dependent on trade with the Chinese.

For example, from bringing the EU into the Xinjiang/genocide/cotton issue...which eventually led to getting a new trade deal between China and the EU blocked when the Chinese started going after UK members of Parliament and independent research firms/think tanks.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

Do some believe that the Covid-19 virus was developed as a bio=weapon by China and that it's release was intentional ?

I'm asking.

Some people probably believe that.

The more common theory is it mistakenly escaped the lab because the Chinese weren't following proper protocols.

2 hours ago, tray said:

Do some believe that the Covid-19 virus was developed as a bio=weapon by China and that it's release was intentional ?

I'm asking.

For just about any insane thing you could make up about COVID-19, there are people who believe it.

There are stories circulating now indicating that researchers in the Wuhan lab got sick and had to be hospitalized in Nov 2019, so that does seem to support the theory that the virus originated in the lab, but does not support any intent.

48 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

For just about any insane thing you could make up about COVID-19, there are people who believe it.

There are stories circulating now indicating that researchers in the Wuhan lab got sick and had to be hospitalized in Nov 2019, so that does seem to support the theory that the virus originated in the lab, but does not support any intent.

Realistically, three people getting hospitalized for seasonal flu or cold is meaningless without a PCR test.

People go to hospital for any little thing here in China.  My wife’s mom took our 4-5 year old every 2-3 weeks to see a doctor whenever he got even slightly sick until January 2020.  Health care and insurance are 10-15% what they cost in the US.   Interesting thing, he hasn’t been sick once since then due to all the masking policies and kids not staying together at KG past lunchtime (no group naps in one common room, or eating lunch closely together.)   

4 hours ago, tray said:

I'm asking.

Let's put it this way ... would you bet your life savings it wasnt? I know that's a hypothetical and not a fair question. I do think the fact you have to ask the question means there's at least some credence to the question. 

I'm in the category that i'm guessing it was an accident and that it came out of the lab. However, everything after that? 

remember those original videos China was releasing, where people would be seizuring in the middle of the streets and just collapse and die? Then hazmat suits would come in and body bag them? Where else did that happen in the world? Why was China creating videos like that? That's the question. 

I tend to think this happened accidentally, China knew the best way to control their own population was to create videos and fear and then go to extreme measures to lock down. But at the same time they treat their population like a statistic. they don't seem to care about the well being of their country people, it's always how can they get ahead to the top. they're willing sacrifice generations to get to that point. So in this case their measures allowed them to get probably 5 years ahead of where they might have been. 

In regards to masks at grocery stores and stores in general ... we can all be honest with ourselves. Nobody wants to be judged and typecast. People need more confidence to care less about what others think. You won't catch me in a mask if it's not required. Who cares what people think about me ... if I'm healthy and vaccinated then why am i going to virtue signal? Stand up and be confident in reasoned decisions.