COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

35 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

The part you didn't bold and highlight, which I did quote previously, pretty clearly says he wasn't giving his full assessment to the public because he didn't think we were "ready" for it.

That's why there are comms professionals and people whose entire job is science communication specifically. There's a whole body of research on the most effective ways to message negative news. Constant doomerism doesn't work, but neither does deliberately underplaying it and regularly shifting expectations and projections.

Yeah, I saw that you'd posted it already.  I highlighted those specific portions, because bmags was claiming the exact opposite of what that link said.

That aside, "herd immunity" is a best-guess estimate, in any case. In a massive, continental-sized nation such as ours, it is incredibly difficult, if not impossible to pinpoint the exact percentage. 

Nature on calculating herd immunity

So when Fauci gave an estimate, it wasn't "a lie," as the conspiracy theorists moronically bray about. Its an estimate. A best educated guess. 

In any case, it's a theoretical number, not an answer to an arithmetic word problem in grammar school.

Herd Immunity Is Probably Impossible to Achieve

These two links taken together, to me means that even IF Fauci "didn't tell us everything," who gives a flying fuck about that? Herd immunity is a guesstimate at a percentage. Even with Herd Immunity, outbreaks and flare-ups will still occur. And in our population, Herd Immunity may not even be achievable. 

IOW, if he guessed incorrectly and/or didn't tell us everything (i guarantee your MD doesn't), it ain't "a lie." And it certainly ain't some moronic conspiracy that mouthbreathers read on their farcebook "news" feeds.

All that said, I can agree with you that maybe there are better communicators available in that industry. And I can agree with you that an 80 year old Fauci probably should hand off his work to the next generation. But "lies?" "Conspiracy?"

Fucking laughable.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

• bmags locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked this topic

bringing back hellthread to say illinois has reopened, chicago has reopened, we have declined to the point that we are seeing only a 1% positive rate and sub 500 cases a day, and vaccinations 7-day average has actually been increasing.

And if that's not good enough, it's been awesome that now when I go to unload the dishwasher I just need to put my hand near the silverware tray and all the utensils fly to my hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

bringing back hellthread to say illinois has reopened, chicago has reopened, we have declined to the point that we are seeing only a 1% positive rate and sub 500 cases a day, and vaccinations 7-day average has actually been increasing.

And if that's not good enough, it's been awesome that now when I go to unload the dishwasher I just need to put my hand near the silverware tray and all the utensils fly to my hand.

Plus how superior is that Windows operating system?

Social Media Influencers in Cook County Promote Vaccine: ‘Just Go Do It’

Beth is one of roughly 50 social media influencers using their platforms to share information about the COVID-19 vaccine and their own experiences getting vaccinated as part of Cook County’s “My Shot” campaign targeting 18- to 34-year-olds, who are among the most hesitant to get vaccinated. 

“We were really deliberate in choosing folks who had ZIP codes inside Cook County because the hope is that their followers are primarily in the same geographic areas and live in the same neighborhoods and experience the same things every day,” said Caryn Stancik, chief communications and marketing officer of Cook County Health. “That was really important to us and it’s perfectly fine if they have influence beyond Cook County.”

Beth says that while many of his followers praised his decision to get vaccinated, some 2,000 people unfollowed him on Instagram as a result. “Losing the followers doesn’t matter to me,” Beth said. “I’m still promoting what I think is right.”

In addition to working with social media influencers, Cook County officials partnered with the Chicago White Sox to host on-site vaccinations, held ticket giveaways for Six Flags Great America and hosted college vaccination days.

The $1.5 million “My Shot” campaign launched earlier this year and is slated to run through August, but could be extended, according to officials who expect to be reimbursed for the campaign via federal funds.

https://news.wttw.com/2021/06/03/social-media-influencers-cook-county-promote-vaccine-just-go-do-it

Any thoughts on what Jason Heyward and Anthony Rizzo said? I don’t agree with them but I didn’t have an issue with Rizzo like I did Heyward, who pointed the fingers right back at the fans in the stands. My response to him is that it takes all of us, including the highest paid men in the ballpark, to beat the virus.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:15 AM, raBBit said:

If your theory is correct it still doesn't excuse Fauci. His job was to serve the American people. If he was fired for telling the truth that's a noble way to go out. Your concern of Trump lying shouldn't take precedent over Fauci actually lying. It's remarkable the excuses people will make for Fauci. Even when he deliberately and purposely lies to the public, it is still Trump's fault. The one thing that is Trump's fault for sure here is him not firing Fauci early in this mess. Fauci was in no way acting in a way to avoid getting fired by Trump - it's quite the opposite. He would roll his eyes behind Trump when Trump spoke and publicly make opinions that were in contrast to Trump's. This is why Trump put Pence in charge of the COVID stuff early because the media and Fauci and were trying to make it all about Trump and make COVID political. This isn't about Trump (he's gone) - it's about Fauci. Blaming Trump for everything is the way to make sure nothing gets fixed. Fauci should be held accountable not excused because orange man could be bad if he didn't lie. Fauci lied, there's evidence, he's admitted to it and for whatever reason, the media supported all of his lies for a long time. It's very curious. Fauci's been in his position for decades. He's not the person to make sure this doesn't happen again. The country needs accountability. 

I don't trust anybody in government any more, certainly not Fauci. It takes a special person nowadays unfortunately to truly want to serve, never lie and do things for the good of humanity not to make one's bank account soar. That would be so great if Chicago's leaders and the country's leaders truly wanted to help the people they serve and not accumulate the $$$s.

Beware of China, folks, they are not our pals.

Edited by greg775

On 6/14/2021 at 9:06 PM, The Beast said:

Any thoughts on what Jason Heyward and Anthony Rizzo said? I don’t agree with them but I didn’t have an issue with Rizzo like I did Heyward, who pointed the fingers right back at the fans in the stands. My response to him is that it takes all of us, including the highest paid men in the ballpark, to beat the virus.

Yeah, I saw what Heyward said, and that was stoopid for him to say.

But Rizzo, who [snicker] only has a HS diploma trying to say that he's "looking at the data" is laughable. I think he's full of shit, but he's trying to parse his words here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Is it not weird to anyone else that states are giving away money and prizes so people get a shot that was developed in less than a year? 

I got my shot so I am not anti covid vax but it just is strange to me.

I mean no, because I lived through the last year where a pandemic ravaged the world and am aware of how vaccines work.

6 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I saw what Heyward said, and that was stoopid for him to say.

But Rizzo, who [snicker] only has a HS diploma trying to say that he's "looking at the data" is laughable. I think he's full of shit, but he's trying to parse his words here.

Word on the street is Rizzo is trying to knock his wife up and so they aren’t getting the vaccine because of that.

12 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Is it not weird to anyone else that states are giving away money and prizes so people get a shot that was developed in less than a year? 

I got my shot so I am not anti covid vax but it just is strange to me.

It's amazing to me how well the polio vaccination rolled out. In today's climate we could have kept those old iron lungs in use. 

10 hours ago, The Beast said:

Word on the street is Rizzo is trying to knock his wife up and so they aren’t getting the vaccine because of that.

That still seems... iffy, at best.

I mean, it's not 1955 any more, where that sort of subject matter was a source of embarrassment. If indeed that was the case, he could have said so. In any case, I'm told that the vaccines have little to do with the ability to have a successful pregnancy. 

I'm going with "Rizzo is a weirdo 'antivaxer' Florida-type." I just hope that he doesn't get the wrong end of karma on this one.

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

That still seems... iffy, at best.

I mean, it's not 1955 any more, where that sort of subject matter was a source of embarrassment. If indeed that was the case, he could have said so. In any case, I'm told that the vaccines have little to do with the ability to have a successful pregnancy. 

I'm going with "Rizzo is a weirdo 'antivaxer' Florida-type." I just hope that he doesn't get the wrong end of karma on this one.

Rizzo was quoted as saying he isn’t anti-vaccine but he needs to see more data. What frustrates me about this argument is that I don’t know what data they need to be comfortable with the vaccine. Its like they want years of studies to go by and run the clock out on the pandemic and not get it. 

From a team perspective, if they can’t reach the 85% threshold, it does limit them, even if it doesn’t limit them as much as unvaccinated NFL players. Those guidelines, while tough to enforce, really restrict players from what they can do and their endorsements.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Rizzo was quoted as saying he isn’t anti-vaccine but he needs to see more data. What frustrates me about this argument is that I don’t know what data they need to be comfortable with the vaccine. Its like they want years of studies to go by and run the clock out on the pandemic and not get it. 

From a team perspective, if they can’t reach the 85% threshold, it does limit them, even if it doesn’t limit them as much as unvaccinated NFL players. Those guidelines, while tough to enforce, really restrict players from what they can do and their endorsements.

Exactly. He's trying to convince the stoopid public that he's not "anti-vax," when if fact he is.

And a high school graduate asking to "see more data?" Fucking laughable.

A wise man goes where others have trod before him. And that's why one should get his/her medical advise from a medical doctor, not some asshole with a bow tie on Fox or from farcebook. 

I know of very few MDs that would advise against the vaccine, and that's only in very limited circumstances. So him citing his doctors seems another load of bullshit.

Its cool though, and its his right to refuse. But he would have been better off just stating  that it was his preference, not some pile of bullshit excuses hes ginned up. I hope it goes well for him.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Exactly. He's trying to convince the stoopid public that he's not "anti-vax," when if fact he is.

And a high school graduate asking to "see more data?" Fucking laughable.

A wise man goes where others have trod before him. And that's why one should get his/her medical advise from a medical doctor, not some asshole with a bow tie on Fox or from farcebook. 

I know of very few MDs that would advise against the vaccine, and that's only in very limited circumstances. So him citing his doctors seems another load of bullshit.

Its cool though, and its his right to refuse. But he would have been better off just stating  that it was his preference, not some pile of bullshit excuses hes ginned up. I hope it goes well for him.

Don't be so mean about this issue. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt as being concerned? ...

I am fully vaxxed but I totally see why some won't get the vaccines. Cmon, right now suddenly it's OK for everybody to question how this thing probably started in a lab when people like me who suspected that all along had to shut up about our concerns for so many months. Why are people being allowed to question it now and not before?

We've very possibly been lied to a lot because of politics regarding a health issue and some people wanting to profit possibly by being deemed the true "experts" about this disease (you know, politicians and scientists who write books, etc.).

Also we hear nothing in the news about people who have had medical problems after getting vaxxed. Why's that? Have there been absolutely no issues?

I'm just saying I bless and applaud the skeptical people cause guess what? They might be right. I got vaxxed. I made the decision that I'd help the world by getting vaxxed and probably am helping myself as the "scientists" say now even if I get covid I won't die from it. I've decided to believe that. I can understand why some will not believe what they've been told. Why can't you understand that? You are apparently believing 100 percent what the scientists say. If anybody wants to discuss this with me via direct messaging that's great. I don't want to get banned on here for bringing up all the things I'm skeptical and upset about these days, including covid. And remember in forming an opinion on me realize I am fully vacced, an obedient/good American in that regard. Peace out.

Edited by greg775

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

1. Don't be so mean about this issue. Why not give him the benefit of the doubt as being concerned? ...

2.We've very possibly been lied to a lot because of politics regarding a health issue and some people wanting to profit possibly by being deemed the true "experts" about this disease (you know, politicians and scientists who write books, etc.).

3. Also we hear nothing in the news about people who have had medical problems after getting vaxxed. Why's that? Have there been absolutely no issues?

1. Because his convoluted "reasoning" as a lay person is 100% unadulterated bullshit. What "data" does he need to see? Is he a virologist in his spare time? Has he studied scientific journals BEFORE this pandemic? 

I'm guessing that he hasn't read anything remotely scientific since freshman biology class in high school. So once again, he's full of shit.

2. Here you go, bust a nut on this: Factcheck.org. If you've been "lied to," its because you've been lead around by the balls by the stoopud shit on certain channels you're addicted to.

3. Here you go: Adverse effects of covid vaccine They don't drone on about this, because the adverse effects of dying from covid far outstrips the very rare adverse effects of the vaccines. 

Once again, greg, we've covered this:

1. Watch less bullshit so-called "news." Most of what YOU watch actually isn't news, but is total bullshit.

2. Get some exercise everyday.

3. Read books, especially nothing with a political bent.

4. Meet people that are different than  you, and especially those that are successful. 

5. Cut back on your stoopud social media consumption.

Your choices, especially in terms of media consumption, are making people stoopider and less happy. You have a chance, and a choice to make your life better. I hope you take this chance to make the right choices.

5 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

1. Because his convoluted "reasoning" as a lay person is 100% unadulterated bullshit. What "data" does he need to see? Is he a virologist in his spare time? Has he studied scientific journals BEFORE this pandemic? 

I'm guessing that he hasn't read anything remotely scientific since freshman biology class in high school. So once again, he's full of shit.

2. Here you go, bust a nut on this: Factcheck.org. If you've been "lied to," its because you've been lead around by the balls by the stoopud shit on certain channels you're addicted to.

3. Here you go: Adverse effects of covid vaccine They don't drone on about this, because the adverse effects of dying from covid far outstrips the very rare adverse effects of the vaccines. 

Once again, greg, we've covered this:

1. Watch less bullshit so-called "news." Most of what YOU watch actually isn't news, but is total bullshit.

2. Get some exercise everyday.

3. Read books, especially nothing with a political bent.

4. Meet people that are different than  you, and especially those that are successful. 

5. Cut back on your stoopud social media consumption.

Your choices, especially in terms of media consumption, are making people stoopider and less happy. You have a chance, and a choice to make your life better. I hope you take this chance to make the right choices.

I do appreciate your response. It seems you sincerely want me to improve mentally which is nice of you. I did look up your link. It said: "More than 310 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through June 14, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 5,343 reports of death (0.0017%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine."

That's a lot of deaths IMO. I really pray that everybody who took the vaccine will be fine down the road. Some people are concerned about the vaccines and won't be vaccinated. Like I said, I can understand. I decided to go with all the people who took the vaccine and was fully vaxxed with no problems at all (right now). I just can't help but be upset at our scientists and politicians that's why I freak out. For instance, covid is still really bad right now in some countries and I was reading that the new variant has hit here in America pretty hard. So in my very upset brain, I'm thinking, "if an election was coming up, would we still all be locked down? Would we still be wearing masks everywhere?" I'm kinda skeptical and could see the scientists and governors freaking out  regarding the new variant of covid if say a presidential election was coming up.

I appreciate your advise for wanting me to have a better life and be a better example for my friends who listen to my concerns (though I really don't voice them out loud). However, I do question why you seem to trust scientists and politicians a lot more than greg.

Thank u for your tone in your posts to me. I just try to say what I'm feeling and hope for the best in terms of not getting banned.

Edited by greg775

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

1. It said: "More than 310 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through June 14, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 5,343 reports of death (0.0017%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine."

That's a lot of deaths IMO. 

2.  just can't help but be upset at our scientists and politicians that's why I freak out. For instance, covid is still really bad right now in some countries and I was reading that the new variant has hit here in America pretty hard. So in my very upset brain, I'm thinking, "if an election was coming up, would we still all be locked down? Would we still be wearing masks everywhere?"

3. However, I do question why you seem to trust scientists and politicians a lot more than greg.

1. Greg, the VAERS reports ALL DEATHS AFTER VACCINATION, whether or not they had anything to do with COVID or the vaccine. You're a smart guy, so ask yourself:

Is it POSSIBLE that some, a plurality, or a majority of the 5k or so deaths have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VACCINE? 

If so, then that means that the vaccines are extremely safe, and extremely effective.

2. The stoopud so-called "news channel," and much of the social media is making people stoopuder. Much more often than not, there is NO FUCKING POLITICAL MEANING to what doctors and scientists do. So when a doctor (who took an oath to do no harm) or a scientist tells you to do something, i would believe them.

If some polesmoker with a bow tie, or a whiner with a nasally voice, or some other political turd trys to tie politics to, like, EVERYTHING, they're probably full of shit, and trying to lead you around by the balls. (This is why you should read more books, and watch less TV/spend less time on social media.)

3. Greg, I trust people with expertise. I also trust that most people (when they're working) give zero shits about politics when they're working.

When my mechanic tells me that its the axle that needs fixing, and not the bearings, I trust them. I dont moronically ask him about his politics, or moronically assume there's a political meaning behind it.

When my electrician tells me that I need to change the breaker box in a property I've bought, I trust them. I dont moronically ask him about his politics, or moronically assume there a political meaning behind it.

When my IT guy tells me that we need a new router, I trust them. I dont moronically assume that there's some STOOPUD FUCKING POLITICAL REASON for his professional opinion.

See a pattern here, Greg? People who know things that I don't know, such as scientists, doctors, even mechanics or plumbers do things to make your life better.

OTOH, fuckwads on TV, and dumbasses on farcebook give zero fucks about you. They probably know as little about a subject matter as the rest of us without specialized knowledge, or laypeople without extensive experience. 

You keep coming over here, and moronically assigning political meaning to non-political things. Because you're still watching too much TV, and not reading books. 

Then, you come over here, and tell us that your life isn't working, because you keep doing that same shit. Again, you have:

a CHANCE, to make better CHOICES, to enjoy CHANGES for the better in your life.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete