COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

On 6/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, Two-Gun Pete said:

3. Greg, I trust people with expertise. I also trust that most people (when they're working) give zero shits about politics when they're working.

I don't want to name examples in detail lest I get banned, but the people you trust may not have the best interests of people in mind. A certain doctor wrote a book and has appeared on more magazine and newspaper covers than Tom Cruise (OK, maybe not Cruise; how bout Hanks). Another governor who somehow his keeping his job amid MeToo also wrote a book indicating how great he is. I disagree with your trust.

As far as my viewing habits ... I read both websites not just one to see the hilarious differences in coverage of stuff, CNN and Fox. I like to check also to see if the pieces are labeled "opinion" once I notice a story has turned into opinion. Reading both at least balances me out. I also check the NY Post (relax the Times is a paysite and so are the chicago trib and sun times) for grins and also to see what they are pursuing that CNN won't.

Peace out. I need to end my posts with DBM from now on so I don't have to write it. (Don't Ban Me). Thanx in advance.

Edited by greg775

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't want to name examples in detail lest I get banned, but the people you trust may not have the best interests of people in mind. A certain doctor wrote a book and has appeared on more magazine and newspaper covers than Tom Cruise (OK, maybe not Cruise; how bout Hanks). Another governor who somehow his keeping his job amid MeToo also wrote a book indicating how great he is. I disagree with your trust.

As far as my viewing habits ... I read both websites not just one to see the hilarious differences in coverage of stuff, CNN and Fox. I like to check also to see if the pieces are labeled "opinion" once I notice a story has turned into opinion. Reading both at least balances me out. I also check the NY Post (relax the Times is a paysite and so are the chicago trib and sun times) for grins and also to see what they are pursuing that CNN won't.

Peace out. I need to end my posts with DBM from now on so I don't have to write it. (Don't Ban Me). Thanx in advance.

A doctor famous enough to sell books is probably not a good sample for doctors in general and a governor is a politician so definitely not.

If you have questions about conflicting information that you are hearing, the most trustworthy people you can talk to are doctors, nurses and respiratory therapists at your local hospital. If you don't know any personally, talk to your friends to see who they know and see if you can talk to them. They can tell you exactly what COVID is doing to people and how the vaccine is helping. They learn a lot in the process of their jobs and the best ones learn a lot more on their own.

As someone who lives with a mother who is a nurse, I can tell you this. I never heard her discuss politics before COVID, but in the last 15 months, I've lost count of the times I've heard her upset, sometimes to the point of tears, at the volume of lies being told about COVID by people who are Trump supporters.

• Like 2

Israel only recently dropped their indoor mask mandate, but they're snapping it back in place thanks to the Delta variant. Their vaccination rate had stalled pretty hard as their daily cases dropped to near zero but is picking up again.

Portugal is also restoring some restrictions

And the UK is getting hammered:

The mRNA vaccines are still highly effective, but not as strong as against WT and earlier variants. The non-mRNA vaccines are struggling. The unvaccinated (including many millions of children) remain at greatest risk of the greatly increased spread and impact of Delta.

Fauci is not a bad guy but he is old. With Trump you either toe the line or walk the plank. It is what it is. Health leaders should not have to play politics. 

53 minutes ago, pcq said:

Fauci is not a bad guy but he is old. With Trump you either toe the line or walk the plank. It is what it is. Health leaders should not have to play politics. 

According to the account today one of the 1st people the President called after he got Covid, was Fauci.  

Covid news today: I was reading it still hasn't been decided if spectators will be allowed at Olympics. I wonder how many people have flights booked to go over there. My opinion: You'd have to be nuts to go to Japan right now for the Olympics. That's not the best place to be with Covid still around. In fact that's not a good place to be with Covid lurking around. The Games should probably be called off til more is known about the new variant.

Also Missouri has a lot of cases of people contracting the new variant of Covid. My opinion: If this was an election year, me thinks Covid would still be quite an issue in the USA, lockdowns, etc., still rampant rather than opening up. Why? This new variant thing is looming and a lot of peeps still won't get vaccinated.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Covid news today: I was reading it still hasn't been decided if spectators will be allowed at Olympics. I wonder how many people have flights booked to go over there. My opinion: You'd have to be nuts to go to Japan right now for the Olympics. That's not the best place to be with Covid still around. In fact that's not a good place to be with Covid lurking around. The Games should probably be called off til more is known about the new variant.

Also Missouri has a lot of cases of people contracting the new variant of Covid. My opinion: If this was an election year, me thinks Covid would still be quite an issue in the USA, lockdowns, etc., still rampant rather than opening up. Why? This new variant thing is looming and a lot of peeps still won't get vaccinated.

99% of hospitalizations are for unvaxed people.

The only "issue" is people's ignorance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

So, is COVID a left wing political tool (second paragraph) or is it a real health concern (first paragraph)?

I feel everyone worldwide is conspiring to keep Trump out of office. 

12 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

So, is COVID a left wing political tool (second paragraph) or is it a real health concern (first paragraph)?

I feel everyone worldwide is conspiring to keep Trump out of office. 

What Covid is ... is confusing. I see 32000 fans tonight none wearing masks at the Sox game literally just a month or two after COVID was still 'the big thing.' I see a Vegas video on the opening of Resorts World, thousands of people no masks. The fact this varient is out there and suddenly because half the population is vaccinated COVID is no longer a thing ... makes me believe politics played a HUGE role in this thing. It's almost like we wanted to destroy our economy for some reason.

On the flip side, some countries are still rocked with COVID and the state of Missouri has been hit hard by the new varient. So I don't know what to say except my current brain tells me politics are OUT OF HAND in this country. No matter which way you roll, you can't deny politics and the things both sides stand for (I won't get into them or I'll be banned again) played a big role in COVID and still will down the line.

Suddenly even with COVID out there, NOBODY is wearing masks anymore. One big LOL. Something is up. And greg would like to tell every American ... give politics a rest for a while. Please.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

What Covid is ... is confusing. I see 32000 fans tonight none wearing masks at the Sox game literally just a month or two after COVID was still 'the big thing.' I see a Vegas video on the opening of Resorts World, thousands of people no masks. The fact this varient is out there and suddenly because half the population is vaccinated COVID is no longer a thing ... makes me believe politics played a HUGE role in this thing. It's almost like we wanted to destroy our economy for some reason.

On the flip side, some countries are still rocked with COVID and the state of Missouri has been hit hard by the new varient. So I don't know what to say except my current brain tells me politics are OUT OF HAND in this country. No matter which way you roll, you can't deny politics and the things both sides stand for (I won't get into them or I'll be banned again) played a big role in COVID and still will down the line.

Suddenly even with COVID out there, NOBODY is wearing masks anymore. One big LOL. Something is up. And greg would like to tell every American ... give politics a rest for a while. Please.

If politics were given a rest, there wouldn’t be such a huge discrepancy in states approaching 55-60% vaccination rates vs. those still well under 50%.

If masks weren’t political, Trump wouldn’t have publicly ripped his off after nearly dying from Covid.  Just think if he’d expressed appreciation for having received a number of experimental treatments that were unavailable to anyone else at the time?  Instead, he consistently exposed everyone in the WH to the virus by forcing the entire West Wing to de-mask...even after a near-death experience that would have humbled almost anyone else.  Instead, the steroids had the opposite effect, making him believe that he was invincible.

We’re heading for two Americas, and with just a few exceptions, they’re trending quite closely with the preferred presidential candidates from 2020.

North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Tennessee, Iowa, Nebraska, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Indiana, Florida, Kansas, Idaho and Mississippi are all Republican states.  You’d be hard pressed to call Arizona anything but a conservative state as well.

The exceptions are Rhode Island, Wisconsin (but see their state legislature and numerous limitations placed on the governor), New Jersey, Delaware (yes, Biden’s home state), Illinois and New York...some of the largest states by population and outlying satellite areas.

That doesn’t even include the relatively conservative state of Missouri.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109004/coronavirus-covid19-cases-rate-us-americans-by-state/

• Like 1

Regarding Covid and the College World Series, a simple question tinged with opinion. ... So nobody in the crowd has to wear a mask, the stands are jammed packed full, COVID is a pure afterthought there ... and the NCAA makes N.C. State forfeit and go home over COVID issues on NC State's team.

Rather than go on my typical rant, let me say this is absurd to make college aged kids ineligible for competition at this point because of COVID when THEY CAN GO SIT in the stands, the jam packed stands, and watch the games. They just can't play in them. Wow.

Edited by greg775

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Regarding Covid and the College World Series, a simple question tinged with opinion. ... So nobody in the crowd has to wear a mask, the stands are jammed packed full, COVID is a pure afterthought there ... and the NCAA makes N.C. State forfeit and go home over COVID issues on NC State's team.

Rather than go on my typical rant, let me say this is absurd to make college aged kids ineligible for competition at this point because of COVID when THEY CAN GO SIT in the stands, the jam packed stands, and watch the games. They just can't play in them. Wow.

Its unimaginable that they didnt get covid vaccinations. Maybe I grew up in a different world, but if someone would have told me that getting a shot would have guaranteed my ability to play in a tournament I would have been fighting people to be the first one to get the shot.

They have no one to blame but themselves, I have no sympathy. Vaccinated players were exempt from protocols. They knew the rules, they simply didn't care about winning a CWS.

Life is tough sometimes.

3 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Its unimaginable that they didnt get covid vaccinations. Maybe I grew up in a different world, but if someone would have told me that getting a shot would have guaranteed my ability to play in a tournament I would have been fighting people to be the first one to get the shot.

They have no one to blame but themselves, I have no sympathy. Vaccinated players were exempt from protocols. They knew the rules, they simply didn't care about winning a CWS.

Life is tough sometimes.

Three NC State players who were vaccinated tested positive for Covid. It's a nonsequitir that A LOT of people in the stands (pure mathematical odds) have COVID right now and yet healthy college kids were denied the right to play. Either Covid is. big deal or it isn't. The fact the stands are full means it's not a big deal right now except for some grandstanding gesture by the NCAA.

Sounds to me like this was another power play by the NCAA with no looking at the science here. They are playing baseball outdoors before packed crowds of fans many not vaccinated. Play ball.

Edited by greg775

7 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Life is tough sometimes.

Further south, the islands of Malta have also flung open their borders to Americans -- but not every American. Visitors must be coming from one of 40 US states and territories in order to travel. 

At this point, it might just be faster to list the states that are excluded -- Alabama, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Oklahoma, Utah, and Wyoming. Everyone else -- including folks from Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia -- can enjoy Valletta's UNESCO-listed heritage buildings and the gorgeous waters off Gozo.

source:  cnntravel

On 6/26/2021 at 2:17 AM, greg775 said:

Greg, vaccines changed the entire narrative. I still can’t understand why people think it is political. Like some thought the lockdowns were to control the narrative, the continued COVID conversation hurt Trump electorally and also hurt the economy on purpose. No, it was a matter of public health and safety and the former president failed his test with the virus. He set the vaccine on the right track, but his absolute lack of regard for masks, providing stupid ideas at odds with the scientists and doctors and his missteps were ultimately what did him in. Not to mention his unpopularity and policies that were unpopular beforehand did him no favors.

Politics is “out of control” because of the social issues on the extreme wings, the misinformation, lies and conspiracy theories of the right and some of the crap you see on the left. It’s to be expected in a country of varying perspectives. Look at how hard it is to get things done in congress. Is it really that political or is it how things have always been?

Maybe if people got their vaccines and realized Covid would only get better with getting them, things would change. But we live in a country where people want their individual rights than give a damn about their neighbors and the world beating the virus. Good thing we can get the kids vaccinated soon so then we will know who the remaining people who didn’t get vaccinated are. 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:08 PM, greg775 said:

Three NC State players who were vaccinated tested positive for Covid. It's a nonsequitir that A LOT of people in the stands (pure mathematical odds) have COVID right now and yet healthy college kids were denied the right to play. Either Covid is. big deal or it isn't. The fact the stands are full means it's not a big deal right now except for some grandstanding gesture by the NCAA.

Sounds to me like this was another power play by the NCAA with no looking at the science here. They are playing baseball outdoors before packed crowds of fans many not vaccinated. Play ball.

NCAA has very little responsibility or liability to fans. Fans can drink beer during a game, players cant. In some states marijuana is legal, its a banned substance for NCAA players.

Where is your outrage that players cant get drunk and smoke weed in the middle of an inning?

Seems only 1 team couldn't get their act together.

NCAA sports is a privilege not a right. A lot of people have gotten their minds all warped by the past administration. Which is ironic because I swear similar people say things like ban players who dont stand for the pledge.

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

Maybe if people got their vaccines and realized Covid would only get better with getting them, things would change. But we live in a country where people want their individual rights than give a damn about their neighbors and the world beating the virus. Good thing we can get the kids vaccinated soon so then we will know who the remaining people who didn’t get vaccinated are. 

I respect your post. However this part ... I've run into a lot of people that are afraid to take the vaccine. They are not bad people they are scared of the vaccine and that's the only reason they won't get vaccinated. They are not bad peeps, just fear what might happen to them down the line if they get vaccinated. Personally I got double dosed of vaccine even though I do not trust the lead scientist on this issue.

17 hours ago, greg775 said:
17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I respect your post. However this part ... I've run into a lot of people that are afraid to take the vaccine. They are not bad people they are scared of the vaccine and that's the only reason they won't get vaccinated. They are not bad peeps, just fear what might happen to them down the line if they get vaccinated. Personally I got double dosed of vaccine even though I do not trust the lead scientist on this issue.

No they aren't. If you want to play "I don't have any facts, but I'll just go with my gut." then I'll play as well. 

People are full of shit. They aren't suddenly "afraid" of the vaccine, they are following what their friends and favorite politicians say on Facebook. I'm willing to bet there is a large swath of people who are "afraid to take the vaccine" are also spilling cigarette ash on their keyboard while they share their thoughts on social media about how they won't put something potentially harmful into their bodies. 

Saw this yesterday as well. Terribly sad as this guy should still be alive, but Fox News and Facebook killed him. 

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I have come across people who are afraid to get the vaccine too, but they say they want more data first, but do not specify how much data and what else they need to see. It’s mine they are running the clock out on the pandemic. I want to know what they fear from taking a vaccine, as in what will happen to them. Is it death? Is it something that harms their other medical conditions? It doesn’t make sense.