COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

15 hours ago, poppysox said:

I'm surprised you haven't been suspended with your continued political chirping.  I thought it was made clear that it wouldn't be tolerated.

You call it chirping, I call it expressing my opinion. And I'm not saying anything all that much different that most on this thread.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, poppysox said:

I'm surprised you haven't been suspended with your continued political chirping.  I thought it was made clear that it wouldn't be tolerated.

The forum is admittedly more relaxed on this rule if you are hating on Trump

• Haha 2

Testing is slowing down substantially. We need to be ramping up if we want to start opening things back up.

We're hitting underlying test component resource limits though. There's no easy fix here since we wasted 8-10 weeks doing nothing but insisting this was a hoax.

@Dick Allen to your point:

Edited by StrangeSox

17 hours ago, poppysox said:

Weird how it works when your post expands beyond stupid twitter talking points.   

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Testing is slowing down substantially. We need to be ramping up if we want to start opening things back up.

We're hitting underlying test component resource limits though. There's no easy fix here since we wasted 8-10 weeks doing nothing but insisting this was a hoax.

There are shortages because everyone in the world needs these tests. POTUS can't deliver so he is putting testing on the states, even though he has created in his own words the greatest testing in the world.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

@Dick Allen to your point:

I wonder if that is why we see the curve flattening nationally over the last 10 days or so?  No tests, no positives.  No positives, no COVID deaths.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hating on, holding accountable, whatever 

The line between hating on and holding accountable has become blurred for many due to the fake news media's disdain for Trump, unfortunately. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder if that is why we see the curve flattening nationally over the last 10 days or so?  No tests, no positives.  No positives, no COVID deaths.

Maybe it is at least partially due to the tremendous sacrifices people are making.  Giving up seeing their family, going to work (and losing jobs entirely), giving up school and church, and graduations and prom, seeing friends, seeing grandkids, working out, playing at the park, beer league softball and generally shutting their lives down for more than a month.

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Maybe it is at least partially due to the tremendous sacrifices people are making.  Giving up seeing their family, going to work (and losing jobs entirely), giving up school and church, and graduations and prom, seeing friends, seeing grandkids, working out, playing at the park, beer league softball and generally shutting their lives down for more than a month.

my HOPE is that it this is because of lessening of the spread due to preventative measures.  My new fear is that it is a statistical anomaly related to lack of new testing

12 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The line between hating on and holding accountable has become blurred for many due to the fake news media's disdain for Trump, unfortunately. 

When you have a President that blurs the lines between truth and fiction, you will have that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The forum is admittedly more relaxed on this rule if you are hating on Trump

The forum is admittedly more relaxed on this rule if you are hating on Trump (governments) actions. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

my HOPE is that it this is because of lessening of the spread due to preventative measures.  My new fear is that it is a statistical anomaly related to lack of new testing

At the very least, I think we can say with confidence that New York is no longer doubling its cases every 2-3 days. That would continue showing up to the hospitals if it was growing at that rate.

There also seems to be good evidence that Washington and California have at least limited their growth, and I saw an argument yesterday that Washington might be the first area to see fewer than 1 new infection per sick person - the level required to have number of cases start to go down over time.

It is however plausible that you could have infections building in an area like Texas where there are population centers and very few tests per capita, or in prisons and immigrant communities, and those would not yet be hitting hospitals and morgues so they could remain much more hidden. 

Also worth noting is that it is possible for us to flatten the curve, but be nowhere near the downside. If distancing measures in New York make it such that the number of cases grows at 5% per day, then you have successfully flattened the curve and limited the explosion, but you would still have many months of increasing infections.

12 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

It definitely seems like a combo. The raw numbers are almost definitely worse than the 'official' counts (which happens in many or maybe all epidemics as they're underway), but we can still suss out some rough trends from them. 

Interesting blog on COVID from an infectious diseases doctor who has worked on Ebola in the past:

https://covid19-insights.squarespace.com/

This entry covers potential immunity insights, this stood out to me as potentially good news, or at least better-than-worst-case:

The take-home message on Covid19 immunity is pretty clear, and hopeful: while immunity to MERS and SARS coronaviruses may not last decades or be lifelong, immunity to SARS and MERS develops quickly during the acute illness, is robust, and persists for months to years in recovered patients.

Covid19 immunity is very likely to be the same. As a result:

1. People who recover from Covid19 infection are likely to have long-term immunity (although we will have to watch closely in people who recover from mild cases of Covid19).

2. An effective Covid19 vaccine that induces neutralizing antibodies should provide long-term protection, although booster shots may be necessary.

9 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Interesting blog on COVID from an infectious diseases doctor who has worked on Ebola in the past:

https://covid19-insights.squarespace.com/

This entry covers potential immunity insights, this stood out to me as potentially good news, or at least better-than-worst-case:

The take-home message on Covid19 immunity is pretty clear, and hopeful: while immunity to MERS and SARS coronaviruses may not last decades or be lifelong, immunity to SARS and MERS develops quickly during the acute illness, is robust, and persists for months to years in recovered patients.

Covid19 immunity is very likely to be the same. As a result:

1. People who recover from Covid19 infection are likely to have long-term immunity (although we will have to watch closely in people who recover from mild cases of Covid19).

2. An effective Covid19 vaccine that induces neutralizing antibodies should provide long-term protection, although booster shots may be necessary.

There's so many anecdotal/initial studies of people in China who have tested positive months apart now that I would be surprised if the mild cases offer yearlong immunity. 

6 minutes ago, pcq said:

By all accounts we are going in the wrong direction with testing availability. Obama strikes again or is it a states' rights issue? Can't think of anything else. 

It’s just the national strategy.  For better, for worse it doesn’t matter what anyone believes.  That’s the path that was chosen

2 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

It’s just the national strategy.  For better, for worse it doesn’t matter what anyone believes.  That’s the path that was chosen

It definitely matters what US citizens believe about their governments decisions.