caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Over 2500 cases reported in illinois, a new peak by a lot. The good news is nearly 13000 tests were reported, the first time illinois broke over it's goal in late march of 10k.

Amazingly we seem to be at 20% positive rate each day. 

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

Over 2500 cases reported in illinois, a new peak by a lot. The good news is nearly 13000 tests were reported, the first time illinois broke over it's goal in late march of 10k.

It's an interesting statistic as testing is done on people showing symptoms.  I don't know if it's significant, but 20% of people with potential symptoms testing positive seems low.  However, if the symptoms are as generic as headache, fever, sore throat, and/or shortness of breath, I could see plenty of people wanting to be tested.  Hell, I get a headache a couple times a week.

Regardless, I would assume that the 20% positive rate will be pretty static for a while until we see the real benefit to the stay at home orders.

Let’s just put it this way.

Dr. Birx was (visibly uncomfortable yesterday, for perhaps the first time in public)...and even felt strongly enough about it that the official WH Coronavirus briefing transcript was changed to reflect she was NOT recommending any of Trump’s suggestions this morning.

The first time I heard the audio, it seemed like she was stumbling and in shock, then she quickly segued into “as a fever treatment” (meaning the extreme heat)...difficult to catch, so the original notes coming out made it seem like she was neutral on the topic or even okay with Trump’s suggestions.

That Birx reaction video (there was a similar one from Fauci weeks ago, putting hand over face in dismay) has been getting nonstop play all around the world, which won’t make her boss very happy, at all.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/24/politics/rudy-giuliani-donald-trump-laura-ingraham-coronavirus/index.html

Then there’s Rudy Giuliani, who makes Trump look like Neil Degrasse Tyson almost.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's an interesting statistic as testing is done on people showing symptoms.  I don't know if it's significant, but 20% of people with potential symptoms testing positive seems low.  However, if the symptoms are as generic as headache, fever, sore throat, and/or shortness of breath, I could see plenty of people wanting to be tested.  Hell, I get a headache a couple times a week.

Regardless, I would assume that the 20% positive rate will be pretty static for a while until we see the real benefit to the stay at home orders.

I just think it's interesting that when we test 5000 on a day it's 20%, when we test 13000 its 20%, when its 8k its 20%.

But ideally we'd be closer to 20k and we are testing thousands that are just possible cases due to known contact.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Do we have any idea when the tests are from? As in are they from today or tests processed a week ago?

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just think it's interesting that when we test 5000 on a day it's 20%, when we test 13000 its 20%, when its 8k its 20%.

But ideally we'd be closer to 20k and we are testing thousands that are just possible cases due to known contact.

I think that's key.  That should give us a better picture of how contagious it is and who might be more at risk.

• Like 1

At least as far as Illinois goes, the fact that the testing numbers have gone up so much lately and are getting a lot closer to goal, combined with the effective curve-flattening to avoid overwhelming the health system, and increased capacity added, plus the beginnings of a decent tracing system in the state... I am feeling like I can see a faint light at the end of the tunnel for the first time. Not nearly there yet, but seems like the progress is really where it should be. If the testing can continue building (which I think it will), and we can get some more effective treatments in place for before the vaccine is out there, I think we can see Illinois at least considering a broader re-opening in the June and July period (bit by bit, not all at once of course). There would have to be a "new normal" on some behaviors for people, but economically and in terms of overall virus control, there are decent signs.

The potential wrench in the works is just how much bounce-back might occur from the idiotic governors of those 8 to 10 states (which includes Iowa and Missouri right next door) who are hell-bent on opening up too early and/or never closed down enough (have you see Iowa's curve lately?). That's my biggest current worry.

• Like 1

Just spoke with my cousin in Huntsville, AL.

It’s crazy to imagine, but seems like ONE of the factors behind the rush to get things restarted across the South is the desire to see SEC Football this season.

There’s almost a perfect correlation with proposed states reopening (I guess you could make a similar albeit more tepid argument for NASCAR) and that particular athletic conference’s geographic spread.

Now the just shocking news reported by the NY Times  that Trump rarely attends the MEETINGS of the coronavirus task force...but obviously never passes the opportunity to be on t.v.

Edited by caulfield12

50 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Do we have any idea when the tests are from? As in are they from today or tests processed a week ago?

I've never heard of a backlog like that in illinois like california posts. Last week we heard that ILL had a breakthrough where a bunch of machines they put into hospitals in early april finally went online (they had been delayed weeks due to lack of technicians and installation errors). Also multiple drive thru testing places opened last week. I don't know how much of private labs illinois even uses to be honest (often the cali backlog comes from quest)

Trump just dodged all the questions in the press briefing and only read remarks already prepared for him.

That’s a first.   Just 20 minutes when they’ve been averaging 1:45. 

Apparently the “just being sarcastic” about loony Covid treatments defense hasn’t taken.  No Fauci or Birx today to make him look bad with their reactions.

LOL at the “Should Hillary Clinton finally be brought to justice?” banner ad at the top of the page from some entity called Conservative Buzz.   I guess a year from now it will be the same question posed about Ivanka and Jared.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Just spoke with my cousin in Huntsville, AL.

It’s crazy to imagine, but seems like ONE of the factors behind the rush to get things restarted across the South is the desire to see SEC Football this season.

There’s almost a perfect correlation with proposed states reopening (I guess you could make a similar albeit more tepid argument for NASCAR) and that particular athletic conference’s geographic spread.

That seems highly unlikely to me. They can open up in July and deal with that.

There are four pretty clear reasons they are doing it. One, because they've hooked themselves to Trump's horse train. Two, they fear the backlash of the Trump followers if they don't do this. Three, they want to do everything possible to keep unemployment payments lower. And four, they all have rich friends in business who they want to help, so that they can rely on those rich benefactors come election time.

I have no idea the balance of each of the four things, for each given governor, but those I believe are the main drivers.

• Like 2

A serious question from Twitter.

Why are flags not at half mast? Or a week/month of mourning?

42 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

That seems highly unlikely to me. They can open up in July and deal with that..

A couple of thoughts.

Most of the Southern states are safely in the GOP column in November, other than NC/VA and Florida. I can see where DeSantis and Kemp (until this week) felt they owed Trump or at least didn’t want to cross him.  Maybe the relatively warmer weather and getting antsy with cabin fever, maybe it’s the outdoors culture (hunting, boating, fishing, camping), maybe it’s a little bit of that ornery, States’ right streak we’ve seen since the late 60’s/early 70’s and George Wallace, hard to pinpoint exactly.

Two, almost all of the state budgets are closer to being balanced in those particular states than the Northeast, Illinois, West Coast, etc.

What doesn’t make sense is Florida.  Yeah, I get the travel/tourism lobby’s influence, we saw it the other night with the Las Vegas governor’s tone deaf comments.  But the senior population down there is huge.  They vote at the highest rate of pretty much any voting bloc, and have LONG memories.   As soon as Sanders left the race, that state went up for grabs.

Edited by caulfield12

According to Worldometers, today set a new high for positive tests, at almost 38k so far today. This passes the old high from April 4th.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

A serious question from Twitter.

Why are flags not at half mast? Or a week/month of mourning?

The President would have to know what mourning is to order that.

However, I would like them to remain flying high as a symbol of strength/hope. After this is over we can fly them at half mast for period of time for mourning/reflection.

9 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

But this is part of what bothers me. Doesn't saying that he "isn't perfect" in response to his shortcomings, while correct on a literal basis, diminish and/or trivialize the cruelty of rape?

Without trivializing the cruelty of rape, could it be that the ever-changing nature of the accusation, coupled with an abject lack of corroborating accusers means that that accusation is BS?

Hell, the NYT, who made as much hay as possible out of Clinton's emails, reviewed the allegation, and found no evidence of sexual misconduct. Ronan Farrow looked into this, and found nothing. The Me Too folks have found nothing. And, the dirty-digging machinery of  #45 decided that an impeachable Ukrainian allegation was a better bet than this allegation.

On balance, I'd say that this allegation seems to be BS. I'm open to have my mind changed, but this one hasn't passed muster as yet.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Without trivializing the cruelty of rape, could it be that the ever-changing nature of the accusation, coupled with an abject lack of corroborating accusers means that that accusation is BS?

Hell, the NYT, who made as much hay as possible out of Clinton's emails, reviewed the allegation, and found no evidence of sexual misconduct. Ronan Farrow looked into this, and found nothing. The Me Too folks have found nothing. And, the dirty-digging machinery of  #45 decided that an impeachable Ukrainian allegation was a better bet than this allegation.

On balance, I'd say that this allegation seems to be BS. I'm open to have my mind changed, but this one hasn't passed muster as yet.

But it’s rape.  There is hardly ever evidence.  There’s just testimony.  And I understand what you’re saying, I do.  It doesn’t pass muster.  

But then you watch all those videos of Joe basically molesting children and women.  Nobody can watch that and think that’s okay.  Nobody.  You can’t discard that.  And then his spin doctors just say “oh he’s touchy and affectionate”.   Yea, well not with men.  He’s not nuzzling and sniffing a man’s neck ever. He’s not groping a man’s waist and breast.  He’s doing that to children and women exclusively.  

So I get that the law can’t connect the dots from rape accusation to guilt, but a citizen observing those videos of him molesting people can pretty easily make that leap in their head:

”Well I’m watching him be inappropriate with these kids and women on TV...yea I could easily see him taking it further when nobody is looking.  It wouldn’t surprise me I guess after watching all of this.”

This is the narrative Joe Biden supporters are going to have to deal with non stop until Election Day.  This stuff isn’t going away...and it’s probably barely begun.  

It’s going to be hard for anybody that has children to watch those videos and cast a vote for that man.  There’s no way I can do it.  The Dems made a huge mistake stealing it from Bernie again.  Woulda been a landslide victory, no rape.