COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

13 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Dude don’t lump me in with “economy” people.  Since the very beginning in Feb-March, I’ve been steadily arguing this b**** is spreading like wildfire and that the asymptomatic rate is going to end up being ASTRONOMICALLY higher than what’s reported.  That’s all.  I’ve been steady with that.  

Some Bloomberg article today indicated that it looks like the virus can just suspend in air in crowded spaces.  

So yes, I continually challenge Balta and others that you don’t contain something like this, you just flatten the curve like we’re doing.  Testing is pointless.   But I respect the common opinion of containment.  We’ll see.  

Where are the dead Swedes?

Swedes are dying at a higher rate than their closest neighbora Norway and Finland (approximately 6x). So even at the low end that could possibly double the US death rate.

And ill disagree on tests, more information is always better. The more we know, the better we respond.

23 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Dude don’t lump me in with “economy” people.  Since the very beginning in Feb-March, I’ve been steadily arguing this b**** is spreading like wildfire and that the asymptomatic rate is going to end up being ASTRONOMICALLY higher than what’s reported.  That’s all.  I’ve been steady with that.  

Some Bloomberg article today indicated that it looks like the virus can just suspend in air in crowded spaces.  

So yes, I continually challenge Balta and others that you don’t contain something like this, you just flatten the curve like we’re doing.  Testing is pointless.   But I respect the common opinion of containment.  We’ll see.  

Sweden has on one the highest fatality rates in the world from Covid per capita.  Their death rate is even higher than the United States. 

What’s the point of comparing the US to Sweden when they have entirely different health care systems...levels of socioeconomic inequality...demographics...population density, etc.?    

Whatever they’re doing, you would have to apply it in a way that would work out unfavorably for the US, where we have the highest rates of obesity and underlying conditions, not to mention lowest amount of preventive care investment.

The only thing we do “more” of is spending a higher percentage of our GDP, and more $$$/capita...but that’s so skewed by the standard of care and quality of diagnostic equipment and access to pretty much everything that the top 15-20% in the US currently enjoy.

According to Forbes Magazine, Sweden is the 2nd healthiest country in the world with an average life expectancy of over 80 years. It also has one of the lowest obesity rates in the Western world, half of that of Australia according to OECD. So it seems that the Swedes are doing something right.

Organization: OECD

Edited by caulfield12

23 hours ago, hi8is said:

best-hair-clippers-1585759701.jpg?crop=1

Go for it.

Nope. This is the USA. Nobody ever cut his/her own hair before the pandemic. I ain't starting now. I'm letting it grow to Spicoli levels. Only problem is long hair gives me a headache.

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Nope. This is the USA. Nobody ever cut his/her own hair before the pandemic. I ain't starting now. I'm letting it grow to Spicoli levels. Only problem is long hair gives me a headache.

Do you have a pony tail or something?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/politics/testing-coronavirus-hospitals-commercial-labs-invs/index.html
Favoring the Big 3 commercial/for profit labs over public hospitals and health centers pretty much ensures it will be months and months before we have enough testing.

And it’s quite intentional, so they can continue to argue they have sufficient testing...just without the swabs, reagents and diagnostic lab technicians.

Great work!   Putting profits over people should be the motto, not MAGA or KAGA.

A letter from the IRS, signed by President Trump, notifies a family via U.S. mail of an economic impact payment direct deposit made to their account.
Edited by caulfield12

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/his-name-on-stimulus-checks-trump-sends-a-gushing-letter-to-90-million-people/2020/04/28/04143a62-8999-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

I’ve figured it out, finally.   The real plan all along was to bankrupt the USPS by sending out 90 million free/taxpayer subsidized Trump reelection advertisements, many to millions of Americans who’d already received their payments through Direct Deposit.

That way, when September and October roll around, Trump can then shut down the entire post office system in the middle of a pandemic so only the most ardent supporters will vote in person, giving him enough of an advantage from his lunatic fringe voters to eke out another Electoral College squeaker, this time over Biden.

It would be the fifth it happened in US history.   Each time, a Republican over a Democrat (I know, I know...but who doesn’t love a good conspiracy theory?)

1876 Hayes over Tilden

1888 Harrison over Cleveland (rife with corruption)

2000 Bush over Gore

2016 Trump over Clinton

2020 ???

https://time.com/5579161/presidents-elected-electoral-college/

Edited by caulfield12

Here is my question. Why are the Feds seizing supplies and then der Furor says it's a state problem? This should be a front burner issue with the nasty media. What a crazy country! 

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

What’s the point of comparing the US to Sweden when they have entirely different health care systems...levels of socioeconomic inequality...demographics...population density, etc.?    

Whatever they’re doing, you would have to apply it in a way that would work out unfavorably for the US, where we have the highest rates of obesity and underlying conditions, not to mention lowest amount of preventive care investment.

The only thing we do “more” of is spending a higher percentage of our GDP, and more $$$/capita...but that’s so skewed by the standard of care and quality of diagnostic equipment and access to pretty much everything that the top 15-20% in the US currently enjoy.

According to Forbes Magazine, Sweden is the 2nd healthiest country in the world with an average life expectancy of over 80 years. It also has one of the lowest obesity rates in the Western world, half of that of Australia according to OECD. So it seems that the Swedes are doing something right.

Organization: OECD

Also the idea that life in Sweden is just going on is a false fantasy.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/us/rural-broadband-access-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

We are one of the most developed companies in the world. We should really push for fiber cables to create stronger broadband networks and the internet should be treated like a utility instead of a cable company product. Rural America shouldn’t have to work like this in a pandemic. I wonder if either side of the aisle proposed plans for this or if it was just part of infrastructure week.

Edited by The Beast

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Of course; a person merely has to read an article about what they are doing in Sweden to gather that info.  It sucks that crazy right-wingers have latched on to the Sweden thing but whatever, they are human too. 

The only INTERESTING data point about Sweden is the lack of exponential death to this point.  A total exponential bloodbath is what all the models say should happen, so we’ll see.  We’re at 4-5 weeks depending when you start the clock.  Comparing Sweden to neighboring countries is really weird since they chose completely different strategies.  

Again, as I’ve said a few times before, it’s okay to root for good news for the human race.  

2 hours ago, bmags said:

There are a lot people living in fantasy land. Just open up and everything will be okay and the virus will go away. Some people think that the stimulus checks are coming directly from Trump not the government. What do we need testing for? What do we need social distancing for? And that older loved one you may have? That person is on his last legs anyway and so it doesn't matter if he drops dead. Meanwhile, the numbers keep adding up, and all Trump worries about is protecting the liability of corporations. Oh, I forgot. Trump is a populist who cares about the working class person. Now, there is a real fantasy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Testing is pointless? What? Well, if that isn't one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

8 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Of course; a person merely has to read an article about what they are doing in Sweden to gather that info.  It sucks that crazy right-wingers have latched on to the Sweden thing but whatever, they are human too. 

The only INTERESTING data point about Sweden is the lack of exponential death to this point.  A total exponential bloodbath is what all the models say should happen, so we’ll see.  We’re at 4-5 weeks depending when you start the clock.  Comparing Sweden to neighboring countries is really weird since they chose completely different strategies.  

Again, as I’ve said a few times before, it’s okay to root for good news for the human race.  

You spew nonsense and fake BS endlessly - you have since this thread started. You are not rooting for good news; you're lying and creating your own narrative and set of facts. You've done it this entire thread.

18 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

but they really aren't that different of a data point because the main takeaway may be that governments may not need to shut down to influence dramatic isolation behavior. Sweden is effectively shut down. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/amc-refuses-play-universal-films-015726351.html
This is an extremely interesting topic IMO....with Trolls going straight to VOD for $19.99 and crushing it, you have the perfect storm brewing against the movie theatre model.

AMC/Wanda makes the perfect villain.  Chinese owned, and they were already planning on skipping out on rent payments.  They have to be hemorrhaging money, and the real estate/shopping mall/cinema model is equally under threat here in China due to online platforms with nearly instant and delivery.  AMC is in big trouble.  Fighting with studios is just surrendering market share to other theatre chains.

And conservatives should realize if Sweden actually comes through their “let ‘er rip” social experiment, they will then be forced to extol the virtues of a socialized health care system, lol.    Bernie Sanders ultimately gets his revenge.   The GOP walked right into that one.

Edited by caulfield12

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Testing is pointless? What? Well, if that isn't one of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

LOL.  It’s east to say that when all the testing resources are “kidnapped” by the Federal government to award them to commercialized for profit labs that charge whatever they can get away with. 

Btw, six weeks ago, VP Pence apparently didn’t promise 4 million tests performed and analyzed...just the theoretical capacity to do that, which basically means absolutely jack shi$ to those critically needing a result.

With hospitals and public health centers struggling to even acquire 100 measly swabs at a time when they need thousands...and no reagents in sight with everyone in the world bidding against each other in a dystopian Ayn Rand nightmare , it’s quite easy just to throw up one’s hands and say it’s pointless.

Our Federal response has strategized, and determined that delegitimizing the need for testing to open up (at least as a consistent press talking point) is the best way out of this mess.   Really!

Probably another brilliant Kushner idea.  At least he’s sitting there contentedly on his stockpile, king in the castle (channeling Borat voice here.)

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/amc-refuses-play-universal-films-015726351.html
This is an extremely interesting topic IMO....with Trolls going straight to VOD for $19.99 and crushing it, you have the perfect storm brewing against the movie theatre model.

AMC/Wanda makes the perfect villain.  Chinese owned, and they were already planning on skipping out on rent payments.  They have to be hemorrhaging money, and the real estate/shopping mall/cinema model is equally under threat here in China due to online platforms with nearly instant and delivery.  AMC is in big trouble.  Fighting with studios is just surrendering market share to other theatre chains.

And conservatives should realize if Sweden actually comes through their “let ‘er rip” social experiment, they will then be forced to extol the virtues of a socialized health care system, lol.    Bernie Sanders ultimately gets his revenge.   The GOP walked right into that one.

yeah. all movie theatres will be amazon factories.

I really like going to the movies, the lack of distraction and full sound. But it feels more and more like that will be like owning vinyl soon. Some independent theatres holding shop in olde town squares. But the big AMC box theaters, the writing was already on the wall but this is definitely going to hurt it.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

yeah. all movie theatres will be amazon factories.

I really like going to the movies, the lack of distraction and full sound. But it feels more and more like that will be like owning vinyl soon. Some independent theatres holding shop in olde town squares. But the big AMC box theaters, the writing was already on the wall but this is definitely going to hurt it.

Disney did better last year at the movie theaters than any company in history. If necessary they will partner or buy them out. 

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Disney did better last year at the movie theaters than any company in history. If necessary they will partner or buy them out. 

but the question with Trolls is whether the movie theaters are necessary to that success. I wonder what they think of their decision to put Onward on disney plus compared to on demand only like trolls.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

but the question with Trolls is whether the movie theaters are necessary to that success. I wonder what they think of their decision to put Onward on disney plus compared to on demand only like trolls.

Disney did that with Onward because it had already been released in the theaters and there was no going back. They have one other film that is going to straight to Disney+ (which is slightly different than Trolls anyways because they are trying to boost subscribers). But films like Mulan and their other big releases are being rescheduled.  Trolls brought in 100mil,  thats really not much to Disney and if Avengers/Frozen/Mulan did that at theaters theyd be considered a massive flop.