COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Heads22 said:

740 new cases today in Iowa, 8 deaths. The 740 is a high for Iowa, on the day 77% of the state relaxes limitations.

No clue what percentage of total tests were positive, though its claimed they were at places they expected high numbers.

This state's leadership continues to show to be unprepared, but, hey, at least we partnered with some testing system the governor heard about from Ashton Kutcher. Today's press conference featured a speaker from a conservative, religious PAC in the state as well. Reynolds had the sixth lowest approval of covid handling of any governor (still at 54%), and a lot of people are confused as to what exactly we are doing here.

To celebrate opening Texas day, we had our highest number of cases in 3+ weeks yesterday. The only day that was higher was a day when probably a bunch of tests from multiple days were released all at once. 

We've noticeably gone from 1-3 cases per day in my county to 5 cases per day. It's clearly been slowly accelerating in this state with the current amount of social distancing, so the right solution is obviously more interaction between people. 

Maryland has the National Guard guarding their stockpile of Covid 19 tests they bought from South Korea in a secret location. They are afraid the Feds will take them. Jared wants the tests for his stockpile. Why are we pitting state vs. state vs fed government? This isn't the Apprentice. 

• Like 1

None of my favorite restaurants decided to open for seating. 

I just glanced over the San Antonio restaurants and it seemed like more touristy places near Riverwalk decided to open. I'm not in the business but I wonder if 25% seating works for lower margin neighborhood joints. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

None of my favorite restaurants decided to open for seating. 

I just glanced over the San Antonio restaurants and it seemed like more touristy places near Riverwalk decided to open. I'm not in the business but I wonder if 25% seating works for lower margin neighborhood joints. 

I just asked a friend this exactly question. She said not even close.  They can't staff up and pay employees they would need to adequately staff everything, and work with only 25% capacity.  They will probably stay carryout only at 25%.

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

THANKS for asking, Beast. Yes I am alone now. My phases to reopen?: I think things should go back to the way they were right before the lockdown when we were getting "cautious."

In other words, yes, reopen the library. Right before shutdown there was one person at a table working or reading, just one. People if they saw someone walking toward them stopped or walked the other way.

Yes there will be more germs on door handles, etc. Just don't touch your face or ears or eyes and wash as much as you can.

Same rules for restaurants and coffee shops. Let people in but they must be at least 10 feet apart. If it fills up, no more can enter the restaurant til the 10 feet rule is abided by.

Church ... three people in a pew; once the church fills up, no more can come in. No giving out of Communion or wine from the cup. None for now. ...

Sporting events play them without fans. ... Players do not sit in the dugout, but in the stands spread apart. Let in some fans to sit in the upper deck. Maybe a couple hundred for the entire upper deck. No concessions.

My only problem is what to do with college class and high school class and grade school and day care. Not sure yet if schools should welcome students back. I might poll all the scientists and see if they agree it's safe enough to have class with the setup like church. Three in a row in the classroom.

(As far as haircut; I won't cut my own. This is America and I will wait til somebody can do it for me). I go to the park every single day and sit in a bench area. I stuffed a lid of a coffee cup or two in the bench  to see if anybody else has sit there. If they sat there they would definitely remove the lid.

I give myself an A-plus for abiding by all social distancing rules. I have broken none of the rules and have purchased two masks. Peace.

Okay, if you live alone I can understand how you would go crazy. Lots of what you said could happen, but should be done in phases. I don’t know that we can go back to doing everything at once, which is what people I know seem to be hinting at. 

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I know this is first world problem stuff, but in the likely event that my fiancee and I have to postpone our wedding, I really hope our venue and vendors just let us reschedule vs. eating the roughly $8k in deposits we've already paid.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Haven't been on this board in a while. But decided to check in as a temperature check. Like getting a balanced perspective from different groups of people - co workers, friends, small town friends, finance friends, etc. 

Reduced down - people are starting to get real antsy. We're in the "are we there yet?" phase. This is a cross country trip from Chicago to LA and we're in Kansas. There's about to be a blown tire, an engine blowout and many more issues along the way. By all accounts - buckle up. 

And then we have this waiting for us at the destination

Sorry Folks Parks Closed - Hydra

• Haha 2

So what percentage of people who were laid off due to the pandemic will not be hired back because the company doesn't want them back? I'm thinking of those "I don't really want to fire them, I wish they would quit" types. Just because a business reopens doesn't mean they hire everyone back like nothing happened.  That 60 year old we were worried would sue us for age discrimination? Maybe we don't bring him back. That guy that always fought us on the grooming standards? Keep him off the payroll. 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

So what percentage of people who were laid off due to the pandemic will not be hired back because the company doesn't want them back? I'm thinking of those "I don't really want to fire them, I wish they would quit" types. Just because a business reopens doesn't mean they hire everyone back like nothing happened.  That 60 year old we were worried would sue us for age discrimination? Maybe we don't bring him back. That guy that always fought us on the grooming standards? Keep him off the payroll. 

So there is something we have been wanting to tell you about your status on Soxtalk...

5 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Haven't been on this board in a while. But decided to check in as a temperature check. Like getting a balanced perspective from different groups of people - co workers, friends, small town friends, finance friends, etc. 

Reduced down - people are starting to get real antsy. We're in the "are we there yet?" phase. This is a cross country trip from Chicago to LA and we're in Kansas. There's about to be a blown tire, an engine blowout and many more issues along the way. By all accounts - buckle up. 

Just one of us is in Kansas, baby ... that's greg and he's the guy you can spot with the long hair.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Depends on the business but you make a VERY VERY great point. This will of course happen. Greg likes to be optimistic at all times but I believe MANY people in the work environment making decisions are evil.

• Haha 1

illinois cases growing again. 15k tests, 3100 new cases.

Positive rate was dipping with more tests, now back to where it was. Nothing changes, 20% positive rate this entire month.

I have no idea if it's spreading in places it wasn't before, not changing at all in chicago, what. But with everyone staying home this thing is at one person infecting one other person. They need to figure something out that's different.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

To celebrate opening Texas day, we had our highest number of cases in 3+ weeks yesterday. The only day that was higher was a day when probably a bunch of tests from multiple days were released all at once. 

We've noticeably gone from 1-3 cases per day in my county to 5 cases per day. It's clearly been slowly accelerating in this state with the current amount of social distancing, so the right solution is obviously more interaction between people. 

I'm hoping people in your state at least are wary and trying to be cautious with new behaviors. You'd think if they take some precautions the opening up of the state can be handled.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Hey, dead people are getting stimulus checks. Estates may not have to return the money. No "clawback" in the hastily written law. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/if-your-dead-relative-received-a-stimulus-check-you-should-return-it-to-the-feds-mnuchin-says-2020-04-29

This doesn't seem like a bad thing to me.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Who is right? Who is wrong? If this report is correct most of us are going to get the virus. I've said on this board I change my mind all the time on this issue (how can I not with so many divergent opinions thrust on the public??????) and this story puts me in a foul mood. Because I really really catch some awful colds (haven;'t had the flu in a while) in the winter. And I would imagine corona would probably kill me. I get hit hard and I always get a flu shot, but the 2-3 coughs and colds??? Bam. If this story is true, God help us all. And if this story is true .... OBVIOUSLY there will never be crowds at sporting events in the next two years.

Are all countries going to be hit this hard? A conspiracy theorist would suggest IF this story is true (and the economy will turn our country into third world status if this story is true) then China and/or Russia COULD use this as an opportunity to get rid of us, conquer us. Think of how weak we are going to be as a nation if this story is true. If as a conspiracy theorist you believe China would love to take over the USA, what better time for them but now.

p.s. How can there be so many different sides to one issue? This artilcle? Alarming!! Meanwhile optimism in other articles.

8 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm hoping people in your state at least are wary and trying to be cautious with new behaviors. You'd think if they take some precautions the opening up of the state can be handled.

If case numbers are already growing, and you allow more contact with no other defenses done, then the only logical expectation is that case numbers will soon start growing faster.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

illinois cases growing again. 15k tests, 3100 new cases.

Positive rate was dipping with more tests, now back to where it was. Nothing changes, 20% positive rate this entire month.

I have no idea if it's spreading in places it wasn't before, not changing at all in chicago, what. But with everyone staying home this thing is at one person infecting one other person. They need to figure something out that's different.

It's grocery stores, drug stores. There are so many people who aren't social distancing or wearing masks.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If case numbers are already growing, and you allow more contact with no other defenses done, then the only logical expectation is that case numbers will soon start growing faster.

I believe the word you want is exponentially.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Okay, if you live alone I can understand how you would go crazy. Lots of what you said could happen, but should be done in phases. I don’t know that we can go back to doing everything at once, which is what people I know seem to be hinting at. 

I would probably make a good case study. I have talked a ton on the phone the past six weeks but have had very little contact with real human beings. I have said a few words with people at the park and no chit chat with the coffee drive through people. I basically have had no human contact for six weeks yet am not a danger to society. My guess is being on the phone has saved me from hermit-like status.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Why the hell are case numbers growing (I do accept your statement)? It's NOT FLU OR VIRUS SEASON. Wait til September and October! Flu season, virus season. Can the USA survive what's ahead this winter? There haven't been a ton of stories about what's ahead this winter. Wait til some scientist gives the negative side of that issue? Hoarding? How about unabashed hoarding and no meat available.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I believe the word you want is exponentially.

I got a little lax on the grocery stockup trips the past 2 weeks, but I think I'm going to start doing Sunday morning runs for the next couple weeks while people are going to church and treating each one like it'll be the last one for a month+.

Right now we're at 5 new cases per day in my county, with no information ever given out to us on tracking so I have no idea when they go to the store, and if there are 5 known cases per day there's probably 5-10 more unknown ones each day, for a few hundred people in the county infected at any given time total. If we suddenly are getting 20 cases per day, then we will have what a thousand cases active in the county, and 1-2% chance that any given person at the store has it, and a few hundred people out and about at a time? I don't want to be going out then.

I just hope illinois uptick in testing is picking up people it was missing prior. But then we are at another 2 weeks of this song and dance before we know if it's working.

We have to start opening up places for people to quarantine without family.