COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Why the hell are case numbers growing (I do accept your statement)? It's NOT FLU OR VIRUS SEASON. Wait til September and October! Flu season, virus season. Can the USA survive what's ahead this winter? There haven't been a ton of stories about what's ahead this winter. Wait til some scientist gives the negative side of that issue? Hoarding? How about unabashed hoarding and no meat available.

Because the virus doesn't die off if you're indoors with someone or in close contact with them or something they touch outdoors, and this thing is more contagious and more dangerous than the flu. 

34 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Just one of us is in Kansas, baby ... that's greg and he's the guy you can spot with the long hair.

Barbershops will be open in two weeks. Start planning your trip south. 

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I got a little lax on the grocery stockup trips the past 2 weeks, but I think I'm going to start doing Sunday morning runs for the next couple weeks while people are going to church and treating each one like it'll be the last one for a month+.

Right now we're at 5 new cases per day in my county, with no information ever given out to us on tracking so I have no idea when they go to the store, and if there are 5 known cases per day there's probably 5-10 more unknown ones each day, for a few hundred people in the county infected at any given time total. If we suddenly are getting 20 cases per day, then we will have what a thousand cases active in the county, and 1-2% chance that any given person at the store has it, and a few hundred people out and about at a time? I don't want to be going out then.

Yep, it is already accelerating in some parts.

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Hoarding? How about unabashed hoarding and no meat available.

While you are in Texas to get that hair cut, stop by a gun shop. Greg775 there isn't anything wrong with you that can't be fixed by a change of location. You are just living in the wrong state of mind. Come'on down to the Lone Star State. 

Taco Cabana, a local fast food place, is now selling margaritas to go by the gallon. No shortage here. 

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

I just hope illinois uptick in testing is picking up people it was missing prior. But then we are at another 2 weeks of this song and dance before we know if it's working.

We have to start opening up places for people to quarantine without family.

I had to do a grocery pickup this morning at Meijer, and it shares a parking lot with a Home Depot. I was glad to see at least 90% of the people going into Meijer had masks, but the Home Depot percentage was definitely less. Still high, maybe 60-70%, but not as high. Both parking lots completely full at 1030 on a Friday. 

We're really only kinda-sorta closed down even in states like Illinois. It is completely baffling that states like Georgia and Texas and Florida are reopening at the same time as they post their highest daily numbers. It's silly to me that Illinois is loosening up in some ways too knowing full well that the project peak isn't for another few weeks.

42 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

We're really only kinda-sorta closed down even in states like Illinois. 

Yeah I feel like there are still a ton of people working in non-"essential" jobs.  Tons of landscapers and construction crews out everyday.  I can't blame them for being desperate to still work, but it doesn't seem like there is really full enforcement.  Has felt more like like a kinda-sort closed down...

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just one of us is in Kansas, baby ... that's greg and he's the guy you can spot with the long hair.

How is it that your hair grows like a Chia pet while you manage to simultaneously talk in 3rd person like Bob Dole...Kansas’ most famous senator.

You might want to forward that information on to follicle-challenged Trump.  And reassure him there have been zero incidences of contracting the virus due to having Beatles’ or Beatnik hair, at least not yet.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

While you are in Texas to get that hair cut, stop by a gun shop. Greg775 there isn't anything wrong with you that can't be fixed by a change of location. You are just living in the wrong state of mind. Come'on down to the Lone Star State. 

Taco Cabana, a local fast food place, is now selling margaritas to go by the gallon. No shortage here. 

Didn’t they take out an SBA loan?  Glad to see it’s being reinvested in such brilliant guerrilla marketing.  What next, Texas ten gallon hats filled with Corona?

1 hour ago, Markbilliards said:

Yeah I feel like there are still a ton of people working in non-"essential" jobs.  Tons of landscapers and construction crews out everyday.  I can't blame them for being desperate to still work, but it doesn't seem like there is really full enforcement.  Has felt more like like a kinda-sort closed down...

We have tons of construction folks around here and I didn’t see my first mask until about April 20. Today about a dozen guys were in close company flattening a sidewalk.

This is why we are plateauing, not going down, because the virus can’t hit all of them when many places are closed, but it is finding enough. Somewhere in here 3-4 weeks ago I’ve got a post saying there’s no requirement that cases go down, they can stay level or go up by 1-2% until people make a mistake and open stuff.

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Didn’t they take out an SBA loan?  Glad to see it’s being reinvested in such brilliant guerrilla marketing.  What next, Texas ten gallon hats filled with Corona?

$3 tequila shots to go as well. As Robert Earl King wrote "I ain't ever going baaack" 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why the hell are case numbers growing (I do accept your statement)? It's NOT FLU OR VIRUS SEASON. Wait til September and October! Flu season, virus season. Can the USA survive what's ahead this winter? There haven't been a ton of stories about what's ahead this winter. Wait til some scientist gives the negative side of that issue? Hoarding? How about unabashed hoarding and no meat available.

Okay this post convinced me.  Greg actually lives in Russia and he's trying to influence the lock-down.  He thought he was on Facebook but got confused because he's been on a quarantine induced vodka bender. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

This caulfield is more fun 

• Love 1

This thread is like so many of my classes in college. Caulfield is the professor and Greg is the high guy making random comments that make just  enough sense that you try to figure out if he's serious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Texsox said:

This thread is like so many of my classes in college. Caulfield is the professor and Greg is the high guy making random comments that make just  enough sense that you try to figure out if he's serious

Well, Spicoli did need a haircut ....

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Texsox said:

This thread is like so many of my classes in college. Caulfield is the professor and Greg is the high guy making random comments that make just  enough sense that you try to figure out if he's serious. 

But nobody knows if he is high or just one of those boneheads who seems perpetually high

3 hours ago, RTC said:

Okay this post convinced me.  Greg actually lives in Russia and he's trying to influence the lock-down.  He thought he was on Facebook but got confused because he's been on a quarantine induced vodka bender. 

This is one of the most plausible greg theories I have seen.

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I am still waiting for Greg to morph into Ranchoddas 'Rancho' Shyamaldas Chanchad from 3 Idiots, one of my all-time favorite movies.

Having lived a decade in Kansas City, it’s easier to “get” him.   We all have a little Devil’s Advocate side lurking within us...the frustrating part is I’m not sure if he is unwilling to do the research on a subject sometimes, or he simply delights in playing the board jester just to get a rise out of everyone.   He called the Democratic governor of his own state conservative the other day, yet she’s not one of those governors quick to insert herself into the news cycle, and is moving to reopen restaurants soon...you can’t be too far to the left to win in a state like Kansas with almost as many religious conservatives outside Johnson County and Lawrence as you’d find in Iowa.

And for some reason I don’t see Greg as a big drinker (his South Side of Chicago Catholic side)...and, it’s going to beer if he does, not hard alcohol.  He’s too attuned to inflated major league concession prices and aligning himself with the plight of the common man, which means my guess is Coors.

He always posts late at night in the US, so he could be a 2nd shift worker...but every once in a while pride in the higher education of his family members breaks through that blue collar persona.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It's grocery stores, drug stores. There are so many people who aren't social distancing or wearing masks.

Are people not required to wear masks in stores, etc in your area. We haven't been able to go into a store without a mask for like 2 weeks. All the stores have people standing out front and turn you away without one. Most of the bigger grocery stores had masks available for people if they didn't have them as a courtesy (since the rule was new) but I think at this point everyone just knows it. 

I was surprised to see airlines are just now requiring it. 

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I would probably make a good case study. I have talked a ton on the phone the past six weeks but have had very little contact with real human beings. I have said a few words with people at the park and no chit chat with the coffee drive through people. I basically have had no human contact for six weeks yet am not a danger to society. My guess is being on the phone has saved me from hermit-like status.

Greg - I'm the opposite; I think I spend 6-8 hours a day on the phone (technically skype or goto, etc).  It is driving me absolutely mad.  I hate talking on the phone or in the case of most of my day presenting via video conferencing, etc.  That said, all that phone interaction is not the same as face to face, so I have actually gotten to know my neighbors pretty well as a result of this crisis. Pretty easy for us to sit in our garage / driveway and chat with neighbors over on the other side sitting in their driveway.  

My introverted ways usually make me just say hi & bye to the neighbors vs. have actual conversations (usually by the end of the day / end of the week I'm sick of all the time I've spent interacting with everyone at work - I spend most of my day in and/or leading meetings or being the guy who is trying to push things forward more aggressively) so I'm mentally spent and ready just to chillax with the familia.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Are people not required to wear masks in stores, etc in your area. We haven't been able to go into a store without a mask for like 2 weeks. All the stores have people standing out front and turn you away without one. Most of the bigger grocery stores had masks available for people if they didn't have them as a courtesy (since the rule was new) but I think at this point everyone just knows it. 

Well, that was due to the Flight Attendants’ union, which was also pushing for an end to leisure/touristic travel...how that would have been enforceable or practicable, no idea.   Without customers, many more would be out of a job.   But it’s also easy to understand the increasing fear of closed space, recirculating air flows (cruise ships and US Navy)...my wife calls them “virus resources.”

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

In Illinois, people are supposed to be wearing masks in public places, including the grocery stores. Not everyone is doing it and people sure as hell ignore social distancing guidelines when shopping or passing other people.

Also, I don’t care for meetings and can’t stand video conferences!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

I would probably make a good case study. I have talked a ton on the phone the past six weeks but have had very little contact with real human beings. I have said a few words with people at the park and no chit chat with the coffee drive through people. I basically have had no human contact for six weeks yet am not a danger to society. My guess is being on the phone has saved me from hermit-like status.

I understand, I have an aunt that lives alone so I go shopping from her and do wellness checks on her. Maybe doing something for those in need may help you. Maybe you could keep a journal to help you cope, that has helped me before.

Also, would you be willing to open the economy in phases or do things have to open up rapidly and go back to normal just like that?

11 hours ago, Quin said:

I know this is first world problem stuff, but in the likely event that my fiancee and I have to postpone our wedding, I really hope our venue and vendors just let us reschedule vs. eating the roughly $8k in deposits we've already paid.

Don't lose the 8K. Cmon they can't keep the money during a fricking pandemic. Keep us posted. You must get the money back.

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Greg - I'm the opposite; I think I spend 6-8 hours a day on the phone (technically skype or goto, etc).  It is driving me absolutely mad.  I hate talking on the phone or in the case of most of my day presenting via video conferencing, etc.  That said, all that phone interaction is not the same as face to face, so I have actually gotten to know my neighbors pretty well as a result of this crisis. Pretty easy for us to sit in our garage / driveway and chat with neighbors over on the other side sitting in their driveway.  

My introverted ways usually make me just say hi & bye to the neighbors vs. have actual conversations (usually by the end of the day / end of the week I'm sick of all the time I've spent interacting with everyone at work - I spend most of my day in and/or leading meetings or being the guy who is trying to push things forward more aggressively) so I'm mentally spent and ready just to chillax with the familia.  

Great post. I enjoyed your comments about your neighbors and work. I'm trying to not dwell on the fact I've only been talking to real people on the phone, quite a bit. If I focused on the fact I have not seen a real person for a conversation in over a month I might need to be institutionalized.