COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

This Illinois governor seems to be a dictator. I love Oak Brook fighting back. Anyhow, greg's question:

Let's say MLB allows baseball starting July 1. The conservative Illinois governor won't allow activity in Comiskey or Wrigley. So think of the publicity he's going to get in shutting down MLB  in Chicago. Those who laud him will push him for a presidential run someday. What a leader!! Those who hate him ... Sox and Cubs shut down cause of this dictatorish guy.

Y'all have G7 hogtied in some closet? Git the little feller with the big hat out here to ask his own question. 

But gee whiz that G7 guy has himself a vision, he is seeing the big picture. The poooltical lannndscape is fixin' to change. There will be some winners and losers. Yep, some of these local folks may ride that wave to the penthouse, others to the outhouse. I'm waiting for the first Vote for Joe face masks to come out; that will be a humdinger of political memorabilia. 

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Workplace transmission is a huge problem. But hey, it is safe for you.

https://wsbt.com/news/coronavirus/as-trump-urges-reopening-thousands-getting-sick-on-the-job

If we had a professional government this actually is something we could have dealt with over the last 2 months. Close everything down in mid-March, and then start having the CDC draw up plans for basically every industry and what type of protections they need. Can people use the restrooms? Can we assess air flow pathways? If a person gets sick, how does a full business access testing? You could have done things like "drop meat-packing plants to 50% capacity, then have the other workers designing the systems early". Maybe there's some places that just default to staying closed, or they identify their highest-risk groups and have them specifically work from home to cut the overall risk to the facility, but this could have been done. When our economy can't open, it's not because people like me are stubborn, it's because we haven't done the hard work to figure out how to actually deal with this situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If we had a professional government this actually is something we could have dealt with over the last 2 months. Close everything down in mid-March, and then start having the CDC draw up plans for basically every industry and what type of protections they need. Can people use the restrooms? Can we assess air flow pathways? If a person gets sick, how does a full business access testing? You could have done things like "drop meat-packing plants to 50% capacity, then have the other workers designing the systems early". Maybe there's some places that just default to staying closed, or they identify their highest-risk groups and have them specifically work from home to cut the overall risk to the facility, but this could have been done. When our economy can't open, it's not because people like me are stubborn, it's because we haven't done the hard work to figure out how to actually deal with this situation.

Heck we could have started some of these things in January.

23 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

My next door neicghbors are already going to Indiana every weekend to get away from the oppressive Illinois regime.

All of this is going to be for nothing because some people cant give up eating in a restaurant and walking their dog in a public place. 

Disagree. I watched a neat video today that said the purpose of life is not merely to keep living. Two months of this is enough. The way my life works I'll tell you what's going to happen no MATTER the precautions. I am going to get coronavirus at some point. Why? Cause I never touch my face with my hands, I wash a lot, I pay attention to stuff germ wise YET because I travel, every winter I get 3, count em, 3 colds, vicious colds and coughs. This year one of em will be corona for sure.

Why? Slobs at the airport and on planes and germy hotel rooms and rental cars and coffee shops and restaurants. You have to go to the bathroom at an airport? That's where I'll catch it. On a packed plane? That's where I'll get it. At a sporting event or movie? Yes at my church or an out of town church. That's where I'll get it.

Look ... I'm not condoning we all get it. But I'm going to get it no matter what and most of us are, according to my nurse brother. It's not just about me needing a haircut (yes I'll probably get germs of corona or a cold at the barbershop or church; that's possible too) or wanting to go to a restaurant. Remember the purpose of life is not just to keep living. And that is natural and that will make sure we all get corona LIKELY no matter what precautions we take.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Disagree. I watched a neat video today that said the purpose of life is not merely to keep living. Two months of this is enough. The way my life works I'll tell you what's going to happen no MATTER the precautions. I am going to get coronavirus at some point. Why? Cause I never touch my face with my hands, I wash a lot, I pay attention to stuff germ wise YET because I travel, every winter I get 3, count em, 3 colds, vicious colds and coughs. This year one of em will be corona for sure.

Why? Slobs at the airport and on planes and germy hotel rooms and rental cars. You have to go to the bathroom at an airport? That's where I'll catch it. On a packed plane? That's where I'll get it. At a sporting event or movie? That's where I'll get it.

Look ... I'm not condoning we all get it. But I'm going to get it no matter what and most of us are, according to my nurse brother. It's not just about me needing a haircut (yes I'll probably get germs of corona or a cold at the barbershop or church; that's possible too) or wanting to go to a restaurant. Remember the purpose of life is not just to keep living. And that is natural and that will make sure we all get corona LIKELY no matter what precautions we take.

We are all going to die sometime, so why take any precautions ever?

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Think about people with kids. Are we going to put 2000 kids into each school in the fall, especially when we know that bathrooms, small rooms are excellent places for transmission? Even if you clean things, you're going to have transmission all over the place. Even if you ignore the new version of SIDS hitting recently infected kids in New York state these days, you're simulating the Korean clubs pretty readily. Then the teachers get infected and 1/4 of them are out of commission for a month, how does that school run? And you're a parent right, do your kids ever get you sick? 

So, are we going to leave schools from home in the fall? How could society function with that? People can't leave home because they have to care for their kids with the schools closed, but if the schools are open then you have every one of them probably becoming a rapid transmission location.

You know what Balta ... you make EXCELLENT points. Guess what. Like my post to badger, no matter the precautions, no matter the cleaning, people are going to get the virus just as kids in the past have gotten sick during the school year. They call them sick days for a reason. Think about before corona ... flu season. Ouch! Kids getting sick, bringing it home, getting their parents sick. Yet we move on and get well hopefully. I have a good friend whose wife died of the flu. Bonecrushingly sad. Brings me to tears a lot that the fricking flu killed her in her 30s.

My point: Like I said: Life is not meant to be lived just to preserve our life. We take risks every day and unfortunately after 2 months of this we are going to have to take some risks. And I say this as somebody who yes, will get corona if my lifestyle remains the same and may die of corona if the symptoms remain this bad. I hate this for everybody but either we never open school again and deal with that or we open them NOW and take a few risks as we do every winter with germs/cold/flu season. And the fact a bus could hit our kids. Or a rabid dog could bite them, etc.

Be cautious. YES. But reopen. We must or we all will die of starvation anyway. Stores will have no food. Violence will erupt with a crushed economy. Life will not be worth living.

Comments?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

We are all going to die sometime, so why take any precautions ever?

I knew somebody would say that to my post. I want all reasonable precautions taken ... but we have to open. Like I said ... take 3-4 business trips any winter and oh yes there will be germs. Oh yes you are gonna get sick, maybe violently sick like my cough/cold last winter. BOOM. WOW. And yet I kept working through it. Why? In the old normal a cold didnt keep you from working. Now? Who knows. A cough/cold might shut you off a plane or train or bus immediately.

I'm not talking of precautions. I'm talking life. We've been through this two months. Now summer is here; delightful summer and everything is canceled. How long do we have things shut down. Til we get a vaccine? Some people are anti vax anyway; they'll give us corona. Til we have a cure of symptoms? OK let's shut it down with the same lockdown regulations until lets say May of 2022. Good luck. Violence in the streets. No food. End of the world.

Answer this badger: Is life meant to be about only trying to stay alive? Precautions? YES by all means. Will we still get corona? Yes and may die from it. Reasonable precautions, baby, that's what we must do.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You know what Balta ... you make EXCELLENT points. Guess what. Like my post to badger, no matter the precautions, no matter the cleaning, people are going to get the virus just as kids in the past have gotten sick during the school year. They call them sick days for a reason. Think about before corona ... flu season. Ouch! Kids getting sick, bringing it home, getting their parents sick. Yet we move on and get well hopefully. I have a good friend whose wife died of the flu. Bonecrushingly sad. Brings me to tears a lot that the fricking flu killed her in her 30s.

My point: Like I said: Life is not meant to be lived just to preserve our life. We take risks every day and unfortunately after 2 months of this we are going to have to take some risks. And I say this as somebody who yes, will get corona if my lifestyle remains the same and may die of corona if the symptoms remain this bad. I hate this for everybody but either we never open school again and deal with that or we open them NOW and take a few risks as we do every winter with germs/cold/flu season. And the fact a bus could hit our kids. Or a rabid dog could bite them, etc.

Be cautious. YES. But reopen. We must or we all will die of starvation anyway. Stores will have no food. Violence will erupt with a crushed economy. Life will not be worth living.

Comments?

Greg, have you ever noticed the TV personalities,the politicians who are telling everyone to act like this never happened and go back to their previous lives, are not practicing what they are preaching? Fox News works from home, and will for at least another month. To be in the same room as Trump, you require a test, although he thinks testing is overrated for everyone else. 

Greg I do agree that you will get the virus.  Most people will.  Our national strategy was to let it spread, but hopefully slow it down some to not overwhelm hospitals.  That was it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

You know that gives me an idea.  Maybe we should have volunteer virus distribution places.  All the people too bothered to wear masks can just go get infected for free and get it over with.  All the young people that want to swarm beaches.  Go get some free virus at the drive thru.  All the “patriots”.  Go prove how tough you are.  Have some virus in the face.  Only caveat is you have to go stay at some giant amphitheater while the disease runs its course. 

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Greg, have you ever noticed the TV personalities,the politicians who are telling everyone to act like this never happened and go back to their previous lives, are not practicing what they are preaching? Fox News works from home, and will for at least another month. To be in the same room as Trump, you require a test, although he thinks testing is overrated for everyone else. 

Great points! I am assuming you are in the "Keep it locked down" crowd. We're up to 20 percent unemployment. How high can we go before the riots? The shortages? Dick ... are you confident in the scenarios I've mentioned regarding travel (even travel on the train from Naperville to downtown Chicago and back; and the uber and the bus) that the corona germ would EVER be absent in your daily life once it resumes to normal? They can clean all they want. We have two choices: Stay locked down til May of 2021 or 2022, completely locked down til we have vaccine or treatment, or open it up to an earth where slobs will make sure there are germs out there RAMPANT during flu season (September til March). You want it locked down for a long time, right? I say we can't lock it down any longer cause of life.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Greg I do agree that you will get the virus.  Most people will.  Our national strategy was to let it spread, but hopefully slow it down some to not overwhelm hospitals.  That was it.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

You know that gives me an idea.  Maybe we should have volunteer virus distribution places.  All the people too bothered to wear masks can just go get infected for free and get it over with.  All the young people that want to swarm beaches.  Go get some free virus at the drive thru.  All the “patriots”.  Go prove how tough you are.  Have some virus in the face.  Only caveat is you have to go stay at some giant amphitheater while the disease runs its course. 

How long do you wanna be locked down? Do you agree with my scenario of riots? It's been 2 months; people are starving and mad as hell.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I knew somebody would say that to my post. I want all reasonable precautions taken ... but we have to open. Like I said ... take 3-4 business trips any winter and oh yes there will be germs. Oh yes you are gonna get sick, maybe violently sick like my cough/cold last winter. BOOM. WOW. And yet I kept working through it. Why? In the old normal a cold didnt keep you from working. Now? Who knows. A cough/cold might shut you off a plane or train or bus immediately.

I'm not talking of precautions. I'm talking life. We've been through this two months. Now summer is here; delightful summer and everything is canceled. How long do we have things shut down. Til we get a vaccine? Some people are anti vax anyway; they'll give us corona. Til we have a cure of symptoms? OK let's shut it down with the same lockdown regulations until lets say May of 2022. Good luck. Violence in the streets. No food. End of the world.

Answer this badger: Is life meant to be about only trying to stay alive? Precautions? YES by all means. Will we still get corona? Yes and may die from it. Reasonable precautions, baby, that's what we must do.

Greg,

A lot of my plans this year have been cancelled due to this. I really dont want to be locked down over the entire summer. That being said, in the grand scheme it is a minor inconvenience. While I likely may be okay if I get Covid, what if I pass it onto my parents, what if they die due to my actions? What if someone else's mother died because of your actions?

Its not as simple as you make it out to be.

I dont have the answers, my best answer is that everyone works together to limit contact as much as possible as quickly as possible to slow the spread. That we get the country in a good enough position if there is a flare up that we can handle it as good as possible. The problem is that when everyone doesnt work together, we just keep going back to square one.

People in my family have gone through far worse than having to stay inside for a few months, having to miss a summer. They went through the worst moments in history, to one day have a chance at a better life. You cant judge your life on the minute you live in.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Greg,

A lot of my plans this year have been cancelled due to this. I really dont want to be locked down over the entire summer. That being said, in the grand scheme it is a minor inconvenience. While I likely may be okay if I get Covid, what if I pass it onto my parents, what if they die due to my actions? What if someone else's mother died because of your actions?

Its not as simple as you make it out to be.

I dont have the answers, my best answer is that everyone works together to limit contact as much as possible as quickly as possible to slow the spread. That we get the country in a good enough position if there is a flare up that we can handle it as good as possible. The problem is that when everyone doesnt work together, we just keep going back to square one.

People in my family have gone through far worse than having to stay inside for a few months, having to miss a summer. They went through the worst moments in history, to one day have a chance at a better life. You cant judge your life on the minute you live in.  

I'm just trying to figure your position on the economy.

Some of my relatives in Illinois who want to stay locked down are of the position the economy means nothing: let's get through this corona thing by having everyone stay at home for as how long as it takes; 2 years is fine with them). My take is the economy is JUST AS BIG a concern as corona cause of starvation, shortages, riots, the end of the world, really when human nature takes over with food scarce. My main point is: this corona thing is not going to be solved until minimum May 2021 probably a lot longer than that. Meanwhile the economy is ready to make our lives even more miserable than corona. Once there are food lines in front of grocery stores and you have to wait 24 hours to get in and everything else is closed ... God help us all.  My take is we must work together to be as safe as possible while not having 1/2 of America out of work. My relatives don't care about the economy at all. They are like, first things first. End this corona scare. The economy can wait.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Some of my relatives in Illinois who want to stay locked down are of the position the economy means nothing: let's get through this corona thing by having everyone stay at home for as how long as it takes; 2 years is fine with them). My take is the economy is JUST AS BIG a concern as corona cause of starvation, shortages, riots, the end of the world, really when human nature takes over with food scarce. My main point is: this corona thing is not going to be solved until minimum May 2021 probably a lot longer than that. Meanwhile the economy is ready to make our lives even more miserable than corona. Once there are food lines in front of grocery stores and you have to wait 24 hours to get in and everything else is closed ... God help us all.  My take is we must work together to be as safe as possible while not having 1/2 of America out of work. My relatives don't care about the economy at all. They are like, first things first. End this corona scare. The economy can wait.

The only reason the economy is a problem is because of politics. Back in February/March you could have shut down most non essential business and had the govt directly pay anyone who lost their job and it would have cost less than the PPP and other stimulus plans. The reason why the economy is as problem is because politics require that we protect the sacred cows of the US, the ultra wealthy. 

The reason why people need to take it serious now, is to prevent the destruction of the economy. If everyone can band together for a month, we can start to make progress. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

What you're not realizing at all is that an economy with this out there cannot exist. 

If you let burn through everything by declaring too many businesses open, then all of the health care resources go into taking care of the sick, and literally nothing else can run because we can't have car accidents ro anything else like that. New York City could not have run for the last month and a half, and that's not just because of transmission, it's because of the number of ambulances running everywhere. 

Second, if you have 10% of a city that is sick with this, those 10% are out of commission for weeks at a time. New York City couldn't have run for the past month also because so many people were sick that businesses which were hard hit couldn't have opened their doors if they wanted to. Then kids get sick, and that takes the parents out of work. Or one parent gets sick and now the other has to stay home with the kids. It's not a tenable situation for business - to have 10, 20% of your workforce out on any given day.

Third, a substantial fraction of your population is high risk for various reasons, age or pre-existing conditions. The more you open things up, the more we are going to shut our doors. Even if it's just 25% of the population, if 1/4 of the people out there say "nope not doing anything other than groceries", do all those industries you want survive? Does your hairdresser pay rent if 25% of their customers stop coming? No they don't, that shuts down the economy too.

Fourth...all those other little people you never cared about. The ones who don't have health insurance, the ones who don't earn enough, the people of the wrong racial background, the immigrants. They might get forced to go back to work to get sick, but they're going to do whatever they can to minimize risk to their family. They're going to go into survival mode. That's going to shut down the places they work, and that's hitting your food processing facilities right now.

If your state has 250 cases per day, and no one knows where they're coming from, you cannot have a functioning economy because too many people will go into shelter mode. If your state has more cases than that, then you start expanding rapidly enough that it begins taking over all the other resources of the economy.

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Why? Slobs at the airport and on planes and germy hotel rooms and rental cars and coffee shops and restaurants. You have to go to the bathroom at an airport? That's where I'll catch it. On a packed plane? That's where I'll get it. At a sporting event or movie? Yes at my church or an out of town church. That's where I'll get it.

See that's funny, because the Declaration of Independence lists LIFE before both Liberty AND the Pursuit of Happiness.  You know why?  Because without life, you can't have liberty and you can't pursue happiness.

• Like 1

Whew well things definitely got dumped as @StrangeSox said. 

29,200 (!) tests reported in Illinois today

4000 cases confirmed

13.5% positive rate

So more of that slow trudging downward trend in % pos. 

If you take the 5 day average it's 13%. Going down sl-o-o-o-wly

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Whew well things definitely got dumped as @StrangeSox said. 

29,200 (!) tests reported in Illinois today

4000 cases confirmed

13.5% positive rate

So more of that slow trudging downward trend in % pos. 

If you take the 5 day average it's 13%. Going down sl-o-o-o-wly

What's the 5 day average in total confirmed cases doing up there? We're going upwards.

32 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Someone tell Rona that two months is enough, thank you 

also let's infect everyone because cool that's fine everyone has it

Dark Ages "greg":  "300  years of the Black Death is enough!"

100 years War "greg":  "100  years of war is enough!"

Revolutionary War "greg":  7 years of smallpox is enough!"

Spanish Flu "greg": "2 years of Flu is enough!"

Dust Bowl "greg":  "10 years of drought is enough!"

World War II "greg":  "4 years of rations is enough!"

1980's "greg":  10 years of AIDS is enough!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2