COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

But, without the previous experience with SARs in 2002-03...which hit southern China and HK directly, such a response would never have been possible.   This time around, there was a consensus pretty much immediately on following the strictest guidelines...with everyone adhering, regardless of which side of the protests they were on for months and months prior.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world outside of SE Asia has yet to learn their lesson/s adequately...and probably won’t until the next pandemic hits.

We can't even get Americans to agree that this is a pandemic, and that isn't OK to have unnecessary people die because of it.

• Like 1

Imagine if there was ANY type of world geopolitical problem related to the Czech Republic and Slovenia...

Would reporters (or the American president of the future)  then get to ask Ivanka or Melania to respond for those respective countries?   What were they doing in their twenties, let alone at the age of 2?

Because the CBS reporter (Weijia Jiang) Trump went after has been (I’m going to repeat it) in the US since age 2 and is an American citizen.  Her parents are retired and own a Chinese restaurant in West Virginia of all places.  It doesn’t get any more American that that!  Getting an education and improving one’s position through the financial sacrifice of parents...that’s the true American Dream, not coming over to the US on shady modeling/socialite work visas.  She believed in the power of journalism so much she even became a reporter at the age of 13!   Isn’t that the type of ambition we would hope our own kids would emulate, and possibly even praise?

“Jiang graduated from The College of William and Mary in 2005 with a bachelor’s degree in philosophy and a minor in Chemistry. She also graduated from Syracuse University in 2006 with a master’s degree in broadcast journalism. In 2012, she was inducted into the prestigious Professional Gallery at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. [13]

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Unfortunately, Greg has transformed himself martyr-like into a living pinata, an apropos representation of roughly 35% of our fellow Americans.

He, like they, won’t go away so easily or quietly.  ( Just like coronavirus briefings.)  As soon as you start ignoring them, something even more outrageous happens to drive the next media cycle.    I spend literally hours each day now explaining that not all Americans agree with or believe about China whatever the President and people like Greg might argue.  They simply can’t fathom how a leader could seemingly care so little about the people who are dying by the thousands each and every day.  If America is (as they’ve believed for a lifetime) the #1 and best country in the world and THIS is the example being set, what hope is there for everyone else?

Everyone currently is watching Trump’s treatment of that Chinese-American reporter (Weijia Jiang) on social media (end of Monday Rose Garden press conference)...and thinking all Americans are like that.   We are talking hundreds of millions of people watching every single day and laughing/crying about what’s going on in the US.   I’m close to running out of plausible counter arguments.

WTF?

You think I am saying ignore him because of his views on the pandemic orders? I am saying ignore him because HE IS PLAYING ALL OF YOU LIKE FIDDLES. This is his act. He's getting you all riled up and is enjoying it. And it's making the thread nearly unreadable.

Please, I beg all of you, put the guy on Ignore, and stop responding to him as well (those of us that are Mods/Admins can't do the Ignore feature, but we can scroll past).

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't givash*t I just wanna haircut. Suggestion: Use your daughter's Barbie Dressup Kit and give yourself a haircut.

This thread could become State Exhibit A. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

WTF?

You think I am saying ignore him because of his views on the pandemic orders? I am saying ignore him because HE IS PLAYING ALL OF YOU LIKE FIDDLES. This is his act. He's getting you all riled up and is enjoying it. And it's making the thread nearly unreadable.

Please, I beg all of you, put the guy on Ignore, and stop responding to him as well (those of us that are Mods/Admins can't do the Ignore feature, but we can scroll past).

This is all true. It is the "greg" show. It's all a trolling act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

WTF?

Can you quarantine him to a single thread

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

China absolutely crushed this in 2 months. They still have flareups, but they don't have 10,000 new cases per day, they have a handful, after being in a situation almost as bad as ours was to start.

I don't buy that. You are writing here to a guy who believes China is our ENEMY. And I am not convinced this isn't all set up by China, which despises us and realizes this day and age of PC is a good time to weaken us and eventually take us over and rule the world. Caulfield is the only person who can convince me otherwise.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

WTF?

If you met me you would know though I am different, I am sincere. I am a die hard Sox fan who is spoiled like the rest of us (hence the haircut bemoaning and church bemoaning). I said it's tough as a person who has been spoiled the past many years (biggest worry is making sure I have enough batteries for appliances and light bulbs when they burn out) to now being inconvenienced beyond belief. Look ... not everybody can suck it up as well as others. We go from the most spoiled people in humanity to locked up in our abodes! Locked up for two months. Hard.To.Get.Used.To. Sorry if I offend. I can hold a long conversation with you about Dick Allen, Rich Zisk, Carlton Fisk, Ozzie Guillen, Jermaine Dye, Gary Peters, Pete Ward, Tommie Agee, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas, Ray Durham if you wish.

I am bottled up locked down, abiding by all rules. Can't you forgive some internet ramblings you may not agree with?

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg, it’s still not over here in China after arguably 5-6 months, as we have always been operating on an early to mid November timeline for the very beginning of this whole thing.

We had the most extreme, draconian, lockdown measures anywhere.

Imagine every road/lane/alley into and out of your neighborhood had locked metal gates and police checkpoints. You’d just drive right through those gates like in a late 70’s Clint Eastwood movie, right?   That your daily health status to even go out was determined by algorithms on a mobile phone application...which in the US 35% would absolutely refuse to use.

Look at all these places with early success like South Korea, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong...other than Vietnam (can’t trust numbers that pristine), Taiwan and New Zealand, there are few success stories.   And these are parts of the world that already experienced SARs in their lifetimes, which is why everyone is more than willing to wear a mask.   It’s a sign or symbol of being responsible and concerned for your own health and especially the heath and safety of those around you.

We might shut down a city of 11 million again...and I might have to retest just a couple of weeks after supposedly passing with flying colors...because, count ‘em, 17 local infections.

Imagine shutting down the entire state of KS over 17 cases.  The whole state’s population being tested.  That’s how extreme things are...but haircuts!  Starbucks!  

And you can simply forget your scenario of 3-4 business trips or otherwise in the winter...companies will cancel them to conserve resources in lieu of teleconferencing and 90%+ will be afraid to fly until there’s a vaccine.  Unless they just get so desperate they say “F_____ it!” but that’s not going to be any of those 1%ers imploring everyone to go back to work to increase profits and make their lives more convenient again.

Thanks. I feel for you being that far away during this horrible time. They actually should put you on CNN every night as an American in China. Or do a documentary.

Regarding myself: I may b**** and moan about (no haircut, no church, no sitting in a huge coffee shop with an average of 4 people in it; wearing a mask that's hard to tie and hits my glasses) but I have abided by all rules instituted by our power hungry governor. I have disobeyed no rules in all this while losing my mind slowly over this 8 week lockdown. After posting on here so many years I thought I could complain to some people here rather do it in real life. Many say I am despicable and selfish but I've actually been a good citizen. My only fault: b****ing on a message board rather than holding it inside.

GO SOX!

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Thanks. I feel for you being that far away during this horrible time. They actually should put you on CNN every night as an American in China. Or do a documentary.

Regarding myself: I may b**** and moan about (no haircut, no church, no sitting in a huge coffee shop with an average of 4 people in it; wearing a mask that's hard to tie and hits my glasses) but I have abided by all rules instituted by our power hungry governor. I have disobeyed no rules in all this while losing my mind slowly over this 8 week lockdown. After posting on here so many years I thought I could complain to some people here rather do it in real life. Many say I am despicable and selfish but I've actually been a good citizen. My only fault: b****ing on a message board rather than holding it inside.

GO SOX!

Want a hug?

Oh... wait... nevermind.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't buy that. You are writing here to a guy who believes China is our ENEMY. And I am not convinced this isn't all set up by China, which despises us and realizes this day and age of PC is a good time to weaken us and eventually take us over and rule the world. Caulfield is the only person who can convince me 

We all know that.

You do realize you are helping them. Your ranting makes you 100% complicit and you are an enemy of 'merica. You are trying to make Americans feel bad, to give up, to lose. You are our enemy.

But your communist propaganda won't work here. We're strong. We're resilient more than you and your comrades give us credit for. We've banded together and are united in not getting professional hair cuts and all your commie whining and trying to convince us it's wrong has no affect. We're letting our freedom flags fly proudly from sea to shining sea!! 

12 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

WTF?

If you want us to ignore him and Quin doesn’t want us talking politics, what else will we do?😝

20 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

It appears that the strategy now is to suppress accurate counts as much as possible to make the numbers look better

There is value beyond the PR in an accurate consistent count.  

Last night my wife and I went to one of our favorite restaurants to get a take out order and to use curb side service. This restaurant has its entrance right on the sidewalk and the parking spaces abut the sidewalk. Great for curb side service. We waited in our car to get served. Others, with no masks, did not stay in their cars.  They clogged the restaurant's inner entrance therefore destroying the idea of using curb side service.

The next morning our local paper had this headline: "Facility Deaths Mount." I guess these people at the restaurant were making a statement. They were showing how damned stupid they were. Then they would probably say the news story was fake.

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Why is deliberately undercounting a good thing?

One aspect is currently they are "presuming". Immediately we have a chance of inaccurate data being used. Those should, at a minimum, be split off. If you have the virus, but would have survived, but died from an unrelated event, is that really a virus death? So now we have a possible third column, virus influenced death. That could be from the obviously not a factor like dying from car accident while infected or probably influenced like dying of pneumonia while infected. I think we can do better than having thousands of doctors all presuming. 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

One aspect is currently they are "presuming". Immediately we have a chance of inaccurate data being used. Those should, at a minimum, be split off. If you have the virus, but would have survived, but died from an unrelated event, is that really a virus death? So now we have a possible third column, virus influenced death. That could be from the obviously not a factor like dying from car accident while infected or probably influenced like dying of pneumonia while infected. I think we can do better than having thousands of doctors all presuming. 

This is the normal way things are counted, and even then experts believe we are already undercounting.

This isn't a normal situation. I believe it requires a more detailed analysis. I've seen stats reported as  "X related deaths" where X stands for the item being discussed (poverty, alcohol, flu, smoking, etc). It could also lead to more deaths being counted because it would allow doctors to place those deaths on the fence as "related" instead of presuming they should not count it as a Covid death. 

• Like 1