Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Then we should be worried about India as well, 70% of the  pharmaceutical production is centered there...whereas most of the active ingredients come from China.

But Greg, how does it help the US RIGHT NOW to solve the current crisis...it's like doing to the 9/11 Commission in December of 2001.   100+ countries are working together to ATTEMPT to confront China through the WHO/WHA.     

What do you propose?   A nuclear attack?   Assassination?    The way to beat China is to out-innovate them, to out-think them, to put aside short-term profits for long-term strategic thinking.   How can a country without our rights and freedoms be such a threat to the United States?    It only seems logical that the majority of students around the world would choose the US to study, or to work in the US after graduation.   That's the strength of the US, the American Dream.    We've lost sight of that....it's now the American Dream for only a small subset of our population (many are going to do worse than their parents, financially, for the first time), and we've also lost sight of all the benefits that immigration can bring.   It's, not coincidentally, one of the major weaknesses of China...diversity of thought/opinion/political and religious belief.

 

 

I wonder if the brutal Chinese regime knows all about you since you've been there a while. Are you being watched closely? As far as what I propose, just a war of words right now and wish the people of the USA would wake up and realize what China did in this crisis is as bad or worse than even Trump. The world may never be the same because of this virus and the virus is the fault of China. One would be naive to think this is the last virus they will cause.

Not a bad link .... https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/long-fuse-big-bang/202005/better-way-stop-covid-19

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I wonder if the brutal Chinese regime knows all about you since you've been there a while. Are you being watched closely? As far as what I propose, just a war of words right now and wish the people of the USA would wake up and realize what China did in this crisis is as bad or worse than even Trump. The world may never be the same because of this virus and the virus is the fault of China. One would be naive to think this is the last virus they will cause.

Not a bad link .... https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/long-fuse-big-bang/202005/better-way-stop-covid-19

Yes, Greg, pretty much every foreigner is tracked.

My ex's boyfriend (believed that he was) was contacted and recruited for the Chinese version of the CIA because of his proficiency in Chinese.   They were a bit more opaque or ambiguous, they don't pop up at the Ivies and loudly announce "we're recruiting you for the Farm/Clandestine Service/Langley!"

 

 

This time, the public service announcement fell to Fox News anchor Neil Cavuto, who had a warning for viewers after playing the tape of Trump's remarks on Monday.

"If you are in a risky population here, and you are taking this as a preventative treatment to ward off the virus or in a worst-case scenario, you are dealing with the virus, and you are in this vulnerable population, it will kill you," Cavuto said. "I cannot stress that enough. This will kill you."

.....

“Is the risk of him dying from this drug higher than the risk of him dying from the virus?" Reiner said to CNN's Erin Burnett, in what was an extraordinary conversation given that it was about the health and mortality of the President of the United States.

"It's a very complicated question, and I feel for Dr. Conley. I don't know how I would come down on it," Reiner said, though he reiterated that other Americans should not take the drug.

.....

I'm not going to get hurt by it. It's been around for 40 years for malaria," the President said Monday.

His decision put Republican senators in a tough spot.

"He, obviously, is a believer in it. And there have been some previous indications that it could be helpful, but I would wait for the clinical trials," said Sen. John Cornyn of Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/politics/donald-trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, Greg, pretty much every foreigner is tracked.

My ex's boyfriend (believed that he was) was contacted and recruited for the Chinese version of the CIA because of his proficiency in Chinese.   They were a bit more opaque or ambiguous, they don't pop up at the Ivies and loudly announce "we're recruiting you for the Farm/Clandestine Service/Langley!"

 

 

This time, the public service announcement fell to Fox News anchor Neil Cavuto, who had a warning for viewers after playing the tape of Trump's remarks on Monday.

"If you are in a risky population here, and you are taking this as a preventative treatment to ward off the virus or in a worst-case scenario, you are dealing with the virus, and you are in this vulnerable population, it will kill you," Cavuto said. "I cannot stress that enough. This will kill you."

.....

“Is the risk of him dying from this drug higher than the risk of him dying from the virus?" Reiner said to CNN's Erin Burnett, in what was an extraordinary conversation given that it was about the health and mortality of the President of the United States.

"It's a very complicated question, and I feel for Dr. Conley. I don't know how I would come down on it," Reiner said, though he reiterated that other Americans should not take the drug.

.....

I'm not going to get hurt by it. It's been around for 40 years for malaria," the President said Monday.

His decision put Republican senators in a tough spot.

"He, obviously, is a believer in it. And there have been some previous indications that it could be helpful, but I would wait for the clinical trials," said Sen. John Cornyn of Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/politics/donald-trump-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

Kind of bizarre Trump is taking that drug. Mabe he has corona. Something fishy going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Kind of bizarre Trump is taking that drug. Mabe he has corona. Something fishy going on.

“That seems to me to be a crazy thing to do,” said David Juurlink, head of clinical pharmacology at the University of Toronto. “If the drug had no side effects, it would be a reasonable thing to do.

......
 

Even before Trump's comments, the head of the FDA’s drug office earlier Monday expressed concern for vulnerable (lupus, my add) patients who depend on the drug.

“It's a necessary drug for them and not having access would have terrible consequences," tweeted Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

Trump's former secretary of Veterans Affairs, David Shulkin, expressed worry on Twitter that Trump's touting of the drug would influence the public to take hydroxychloroquine without data to support its use.

Other health experts worried that patients would gravitate toward hydroxychloroquine, even as another experimental drug — Gilead's remdesivir — has shown promise in hospitalized patients.

Aneesh Mehta, an infectious disease doctor at Emory University, said that some patients didn’t enroll in a trial of remdesivir he helped run because they wanted to take hydroxychloroquine after seeing media reports.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/18/trump-hydroxychlrorquine-health-experts-267066

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some side effects are paranoia, hallucinations, and psychosis. So we may not be able to tell if it is affecting  him.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone on Morning Joe speculating that there’s pretty much no way he’s even taking it.

Too desperate to change the subject from IG firings, Pompeo and super shady Saudi arms sales.

Of course, the last time he did this in March, prescriptions spiked by a factor of 46x and lupus patients couldn’t get their hands on it.

“I'm not only the Hydroxychloroquine Club president, but I'm also a client."


 

Making it more amusing is his obliviousness about The Hoarse Whisperer’s ongoing mockery campaign when he retweeted this one.

Trump not only ripped the host but also the entire Fox News network, claiming he was “looking for a new outlet.” 

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Everyone on Morning Joe speculating that there’s pretty much no way he’s even taking it.

Too desperate to change the subject from IG firings, Pompeo and super shady Saudi arms sales.

Of course, the last time he did this in March, prescriptions spiked by a factor of 46x and lupus patients couldn’t get their hands on it.

“I'm not only the Hydroxychloroquine Club president, but I'm also a client."


 

 

I have my doubts that he's actually taking it.  If he is taking it, then chances are he has tested positive for COVID-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

You know "I am right and you are wrong, I'm gonna sing the 'I was right song'" is not really an argument.  It is arrogant smugness. But still have a nice day.   

Initially the US refused tests from the WHO. When Pence was asked why, his explanation was that isn't what the US does, it develops its own. That causes a delay. The CDC tests were messed up, now the White House is trying to blame the CDC , but that is Trump too.  Maybe you are fine with the US response, but it was awful. Not what the US has done in the past and hopefully not a sign of what is to come in the future. You seem to rip people for saying Trump messed up, but don't have a problem with him or his adminstration saying they have handled this, just like they claim to have handled everything else, perfectly. If there was a problem it wasn't them. Nice leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I have my doubts that he's actually taking it.  If he is taking it, then chances are he has tested positive for COVID-19.

I guess that explains Utah and Florida...being among top states for prescriptions.

 

 

This was from way back in March.

State pharmacy boards in Texas, Ohio, Idaho and Nevada in recent days moved to restrict who can be prescribed the malaria treatments chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, and how much of the drugs can be prescribed, according to documents filed by the boards. Texas has also limited prescriptions of the antibiotic azithromycin as well as another anti-malarial drug, mefloquine.

.....

The Nevada and Ohio rules dictate that the drugs can only be used for treatment not prevention of COVID-19. Texas and Idaho said that the prescription needs a diagnosis “consistent with the evidence for its use.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-pharmacies/states-work-to-limit-prescriptions-of-potential-coronavirus-drugs-idUSKBN2190XC

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

I have my doubts that he's actually taking it.  If he is taking it, then chances are he has tested positive for COVID-19.

The fact that he is even saying that he is taking it is highly irresponsible. The drug has side affects and there is no indication that it cures or helps anything. Besides, if it was this simple, infected people would be taking it and wouldn't be dying by the tens of thousands. It is another example of Trump saying there is a simple solution when there isn't. Yes, there will be so much winning. It is absurd this man has an excellent chance to get re-elected. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, greg775 said:

China, pure and simple is our enemy. Wish we'd hear more anger toward China from our people, at least as much venom as Americans speak toward Trump. Our PC culture be damned; China is a huge enemy of the USA and a disgrace to the world considering their control of people who should be free and aren't. . Letting them have so much control over our pharmaceuticals is just sickening.

While they might be some of our enemy, they aren't exactly the enemy of the Head Appeaser.

 

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2019/06/trump-foreign-business-interests/#China

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

60 recorded cases out of 330,000,000 people at the end of February in US and zero deaths.   I suspect you are right...I suspect a lot of people in NYC, Seattle and California had it in December.  A monster came out of the mountains of China.  We had never seen this monster before.  Our Monster watch organization didn't see it coming and had no real plan in case we encountered a monster.  China sends the monster over to the US.  When the death rate from the monster stood at zero in the US...we should have had the country locked down. The president took some actions but fell short of screaming for everyone to hide in their basements.  Turns out the monster is pretty bad.  Monster kills a lot of people.  Moral of the story...President is a bad guy.     

At this point, there really is good DNA evidence that this is untrue. The strains that circulated in Wuhan did arrive in Seattle and California by January-February, but although they spread a little there weren't explosions. The infections in the US are dominated by one strain that entered through New York - after that same strain blew up in Italy. There's a trackable mutation in the spike proteins that is present in the NYC arrivals and absent from the California/Washington arrivals, and  right now the whole country is dominated by the Italian version. It's even more prevalent in California and Washington today than the original strains were. 

Something like 80% of the infections come from 20% of the infected individuals. If you only have a handful of people sick and they stay home, you don't have to have a whole office get sick, so it doesn't have to explode from a single case. Even if there were early arrivals in Washington and California, they didn't spread widely or trigger substantial numbers of cases. The New York cases were the ones that exploded and spread, and those cases were imported from Italy in February.

Whether that means the Italian strain is actually more contagious than the original Chinese strains - one paper has proposed that, but that is still being worked on.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NWINFan said:

The fact that he is even saying that he is taking it is highly irresponsible. The drug has side affects and there is no indication that it cures or helps anything. Besides, if it was this simple, infected people would be taking it and wouldn't be dying by the tens of thousands. It is another example of Trump saying there is a simple solution when there isn't. Yes, there will be so much winning. It is absurd this man has an excellent chance to get re-elected. 

I have always said Donald is all about shortcuts. Every action such as campaigning.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day in IL for testing and cases, bad day for deaths.

First day under 20k in a while, but 18k+ tests reported and 1545 cases for a 8.5% positive rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody I know has been taking hydroxyl. Why wouldn't you??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm cleaning my guns if it comes around here. I'll just shoot that virus. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcq said:

Everybody I know has been taking hydroxyl. Why wouldn't you??

I prefer the dihydrogenated version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm cleaning my guns if it comes around here. I'll just shoot that virus. 

tenor.gif?itemid=16589078

  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×