caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

11 hours ago, pcq said:

Everybody I know has been taking hydroxyl. Why wouldn't you??

I've been washing mine down with bleach.

• Haha 1

Easily a new high in cases for my county today, the official daily count is now 4x what it was in late April, with new outbreaks at a Blue Bell ice cream plant and a nursing home. They're also not counting 60+ known cases from a meatpacking plant in that total.

Geez. Just as COVID seemed to be losing momentum, boom the spike in Balta country. Sucks.

Edited by greg775

I think we'll see initial surges of pent-up demand (and some people trying to make a political point) followed by a tapering off to levels much lower than they were in the Before Times. 

Does this bother any of you? I'm telling you. There's always something with these government officials. ... I see our dictatorial governor is moving from phase 1.5 to phase 2 in advance of her meeting with Trump. Coincidence she loosens a couple restrictions to show Donald she's reasonable in all of this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illinois-governors-family-firm-owns-stake-in-companies-conducting-coronavirus-testing?fbclid=IwAR3sNN4vvPoV93rlNrArGEU01BEaRSSIuUzCvx7IOB26Q0i3sTlFSYv7UOw

Edited by greg775

15 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Does this bother any of you? I'm telling you. There's always something with these government officials. ... I see our dictatorial governor is moving from phase 1.5 to phase 2 in advance of her meeting with Trump. Coincidence she loosens a couple restrictions to show Donald she's reasonable in all of this?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/illinois-governors-family-firm-owns-stake-in-companies-conducting-coronavirus-testing?fbclid=IwAR3sNN4vvPoV93rlNrArGEU01BEaRSSIuUzCvx7IOB26Q0i3sTlFSYv7UOw

Real dictators are never reasonable.

Neither is climate change/Mother Nature...see central Michigan flooding.   Good luck social distancing in shelters.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Geez. Just as COVID seemed to be losing momentum, boom the spike in Balta country. Sucks.

The only thing that lost momentum was patience 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Real dictators are never reasonable.

Neither is climate change/Mother Nature...see central Michigan flooding.   Good luck social distancing in shelters.

Disaster preparedness scientists will tell you that in this situation, you deal with the life and property threatening situation first as that's the priority. Same thing with hurricanes upcoming, wildfires, whatever else hits this year. 

It's one of the reasons why we need stronger downward trends on case numbers before things open up, because those events will happen and will scramble people. 

Plus, you absolutely need consistent messaging at a government level to manage those sort of overlapping crises. 

So, it's starting to come to light that both Georgia and Texas are including both COVID tests AND antibody tests in their totals (the denominator), but only counting positive test results from the COVID tests as the numerator. So, their positive test rates look lower than they really are. Texas, meanwhile, is seeing spikes even WITH the mathematical "help".

Chicago Assembly Plants have been back at work for 2 days now... 9 total positive cases for covid.. possibly 300 seats contaminated that they need to clean... way to go. 

19 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

So, it's starting to come to light that both Georgia and Texas are including both COVID tests AND antibody tests in their totals (the denominator), but only counting positive test results from the COVID tests as the numerator. So, their positive test rates look lower than they really are. Texas, meanwhile, is seeing spikes even WITH the mathematical "help".

And eventually they will just stop counting.  This is all a part of the master plan.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

And eventually they will just stop counting.  This is all a part of the master plan.

Florida fired their website portal tech lead, after (reportedly) they asked her to change some things.

22 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Virginia and Colorado are also including antibody tests as well I believe, though I'm not so sure about only counting positive COVID tests.

Either way, lots of states are juking the stats for total testing, positive test rates, and death rates. We're going to take the "magical thinking" option of pretending the problem isn't even real and suppressing any information to the contrary.

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

in the picture on the right, he could be my older brother's twin (minus the tats), down to the facial expression

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

Virginia and Colorado are also including antibody tests as well I believe, though I'm not so sure about only counting positive COVID tests.

Either way, lots of states are juking the stats for total testing, positive test rates, and death rates. We're going to take the "magical thinking" option of pretending the problem isn't even real and suppressing any information to the contrary.

Virginia WAS doing that, but then separated them out after people noticed. So their numbers are now doing that correctly.

Iowa's tactic is to, apparently, do the opposite of what everyone else is doing - they are SLOWING their testing. Since their testing number peaked at around 4500 on the 11th, the testing numbers have been sliding down pretty much daily to now around 2700 per day. Apparently going with the Trump school of "can't have positive cases if you don't test".

5/13 is when they opened up most businesses across all 99 counties, even high-touch businesses, and removed most types of distancing requirements. Let's see where they stand in case count and positivity rate around the end of this month.

Outdoor seating at restaurants (with adequate spacing, of course) will likely be included in Phase 3 of the Illinois reopening plan.  Expected to start on June 1.

That's encouraging news.  Hopefully the restaurants and customers will respect the rules so we don't take a step back.

I don't see a bright future for restaurants. Most of us are avoiding unneeded exposure. That will not change for a good while. 

3 minutes ago, pcq said:

I don't see a bright future for restaurants. Most of us are avoiding unneeded exposure. That will not change for a good while. 

And to top it off, the federal government and many state governments have been so untrustworthy as to safety, even if this actually disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't trust them to be telling the truth and still wouldn't change my behaviors back to the old days.

I worry about restaurant reopening. People want to sit down and be served. The demand will be big initially IMO, which will cause social distancing  to give out the window. Not in the seating areas necessarily,  but they may have lines that would rival the weed stores when they opened. 

I think outdoor is going to be fine. Moving forward indoor is going to be difficult as the air conditioning really does seem to cause issues.

I wouldn't advise going with company as much but going with family you live with it should be nice.

but yes restaurants/night clubs/entertainment do not have much of a lobbying group and it has led to them getting short shrifted despite being the most affected, and forcefully limited, by governments. Throw money at them.

I probably won't eat in a restaurant until we hit phase 5 (treatment or vaccine or minimal cases in state). Unfortunately probably the same for travel.