caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

34 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

While true, I DO think waaaay more people have it than reported by many magnitudes, let’s not move the goal posts.  

I’m saying the plan around the world seems to be “let everyone get the virus”. Outside of a few countries, this seems to be the case, no?  

No.  Pretty sure it is not the case given the stay at home orders and quarantines around the world

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even some of the deeper dives into broad surveys have ended up with pretty low numbers IU just did a very random survey and came up with a 2.8% infection rate in Indiana total.  We need to get to about 70% to have a decent herd immunity.

https://news.iu.edu/stories/2020/05/iupui/releases/13-preliminary-findings-impact-covid-19-indiana-coronavirus.html

France and Spain did large studies as well and both came up with 5%. These are two of the hardest hit countries.

16 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

France and Spain did large studies as well and both came up with 5%. These are two of the hardest hit countries.

And I am sure Washington/NY/Cali would also come in on the higher side, but I think that nation wide, we are probably 3-5% tops.

Nobody really knows what the hell is going on in GA.   Or TX, VT and VA.

At least four states combined data from two different test results,potentially providing a misleading picture of when and where coronavirus spread as the nation eases restrictions.

Virginia, Texas, Georgia, and Vermont have said they've been adding two numbers to their totals: viral test results and antibody test results.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

After facing weeks of criticism for not being transparent with data about the coronavirus, state officials on Wednesday acknowledged that a test type that does not measure active cases inflated published test counts by 57,000, or roughly 14% of total tests to date.

“Either they don’t know what they’re doing, or (the data is) being manipulated in ways it shouldn’t,” said Dr. Harry J. Heiman, a clinical associate professor at the Georgia State University School of Public Health. “Either way it is very concerning.” 

In April, Gov. Brian Kemp called the state’s poor national ranking in its share of residents tested for the virus “unacceptable,” and challenged public health officials and private companies ramp up the state’s testing capacity. Earlier this week, he publicly touted the state’s rise to 20th in the nation as an important step forward.

Removing antibody tests from the state’s testing total, however, now drops Georgia’s per capita ranking to 29th, according to the AJC’s analysis of national testing data.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/latest-data-lapse-inflated-georgia-virus-test-count-000/2RG89mkuryApRMdQzblMgP/

Edited by caulfield12

We had a meeting yesterday for one of the shows I'm in. Basically it is a national chain of company owned shows and franchisees that take place in hotels, restaurants, etc. and it includes dinner and a meal. We are trying to figure out how to reopen in as safe a manner as possible. A couple of things I took away from the meeting.

National organizations have an impossibly difficult task of meeting the requirements in all localities with one plan. We're going with limited seating, smaller casts, made changes to the script to avoid guests interacting with each other, menu changes, procedure changes that in some cases are actual improvements and will remain and in other cases temporary. One thing we were not able to get rid of was cash tips. There are some locations where it is illegal to use Venmo, Cash, etc for tips. At least that is what the company is telling us. 

Out tentative restart dates are in July but every date had an implied asterisk next to it. They sincerely repeated that if you don't feel safe, don't work. But we also know that cast spots are tough to earn and tougher to get back. Who wants to give up a spot and have to fight to get it back?    

Glad he cleared that up. 

Holy shit he can't even admit that he did something that came out "negative" even when that means good.

He had the best, most perfect and beautiful negative test that doctors have ever seen.

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Glad he cleared that up. 

Some day's I wonder if English is his first language.

3 hours ago, turnin' two said:

But then there is this too...

https://news.yahoo.com/as-more-states-reopen-georgia-defies-predictions-of-coronavirus-resurgence-whats-the-lesson-for-the-rest-of-the-country-164734815.html

Which certainly seems to be good news.  Maybe if people continue being cautious and smart, some things can start to open up a bit.  Especially with some warmer weather coming.  

After Georgia fixed some of their data due to the "mistake" from a few days ago, making the cases more like flat than going down, it has also come out that Georgia is one of the handful of states that are pulling a trick where the denominator (number of tests) includes COVID tests AND antibody tests, while the numerator includes ONLY the positive results from the COVID tests. Thus making it seem better than it is. Texas and Pennsylvania are also doing this. Virginia and Vermont were doing it, but found the issue and fixed it.

ETA: If you look at the curve for Georgia, looking at the time it took to bend their curve after the lockdown, and add that time to when Georgia did their broad opening up... I'd say we will know a lot more about Georgia's fate in about 2 weeks. Right around the end of this month.

At first, I was almost like Greg with the lack of haircut. But the more I thought about it, I'm kind of digging it now. It reminds me of when I was in high school, and the only time I would get a haircut is when my dad couldn't take it anymore and forced me to go. It got pretty wild at times.

• Thanks 2

Has anyone done a study on effects of Covid infection on people who don't need to be hospitalized? 

I'm wondering if some of the same long-term effects are happening to people who don't even get very sick as those who are hospitalized, on oxygen but never get sick enough to have to be ventilated. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

40 million people?? Just printing the checks and mailing them out to recipients of unemployment will cost millions of dollars. My gosh our economy is doomed. So pretty soon we'll be at 50 percent unemployment? Half of our great nation will be idled? God help us all.

• Haha 1

This doesn't look like it is playing, but the rest of the quote is like per capita relative to what? You can look at just about any capita.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

At first, I was almost like Greg with the lack of haircut. But the more I thought about it, I'm kind of digging it now. It reminds me of when I was in high school, and the only time I would get a haircut is when my dad couldn't take it anymore and forced me to go. It got pretty wild at times.

It definitely brought back memories of high school. I will confess that after I got it soaked and combed it back and saw all that hair, especially flowing by the collar I thought I might be able to pull off a Richard Lewis look. Another 4 weeks would have been interesting to see which rock star I looked like. But the hair length gave me a headache and bothered me even though the length of it was intriguing me.

But alas today I got it cut ... legally. And me, the barber and the receptionist were the only three in the shop. he is the owner and said for some reason everybody else will come in next week for work. Maybe he wanted to take care of his massive list of clients 7 a.m. til 5 p.m. to get some out of the way. He said they will all come in in different shifts to obey all rules.

Greg has obeyed all rules in Kansas since our March 16 shutdown. I should have gotten a haircut the Friday before the Monday shutdown as I could have. Instead I went from Feb. 20 til May 21 without a haircut which is 12 weeks. I normally would have 3 haircuts in that span, so I have learned that I should go six weeks without a haircut instead of four.

Edited by greg775

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

40 million people?? Just printing the checks and mailing them out to recipients of unemployment will cost millions of dollars. My gosh our economy is doomed. So pretty soon we'll be at 50 percent unemployment? Half of our great nation will be idled? God help us all.

trillions but we're the world reserve currency and borrowing's free right now so print those checks

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

Holy shit he can't even admit that he did something that came out "negative" even when that means good.

He had the best, most perfect and beautiful negative test that doctors have ever seen.

Doctors have never seen a test so negative.  They kept asking him how he knew so much about negative tests.  Scientists from all over the globe may study him to see how his result could be so negative.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Doctors have never seen a test so negative.  They kept asking him how he knew so much about negative tests.  Scientists from all over the globe may study him to see how his result could be so negative.

It is amazing how many buy his shtick. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Has anyone done a study on effects of Covid infection on people who don't need to be hospitalized? 

I'm wondering if some of the same long-term effects are happening to people who don't even get very sick as those who are hospitalized, on oxygen but never get sick enough to have to be ventilated. 

There is some anecdotal stuff, but there hasn't been any time for a study of anything yet, let alone a long term study.  Remember the first known cases of this are about 6 months old.  It will be years before we REALLY know what hit us.

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It is amazing how many buy his shtick. 

Best con-artist in my lifetime without a doubt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I was thinking that about indoor tennis too. I've seen a few articles recently about how high-intensity exercise makes someone a particularly profound spreader. But it then occurred to me, this is why we see tennis on the list (along with the already-existing outdoor activities with spacing), but not most other gym or indoor facility sports. Think about the inside of a tennis club. These are huge, cavernous spaces, with players very far apart. Compared to most other indoor sports it is much lower risk, I would think.

Yeah, the spaces are big, but at the same time I think about people in a big room where they're doing cardio or dance or whatever else was sampled in that study. Those aren't small rooms, maybe not the size of a tennis court...but one person came into the room and literally everyone in the room was infected. That means in 30-60 minutes, even in a big room, they're getting an enormous dose of the stuff spread around.  Yeah, a bigger tennis court and both people wearing masks maybe you drop the chance from 100% to something lower, but that's one I wouldn't do. There's no athletic activity indoors I can think of that is safe unless everyone in the building has done a 14 day quarantine.

This is one of the cases where I feel like people are using the 6 foot distance as a crutch, to justify things that really aren't all that safe in the details. 

Would people be wearing gloves while playing tennis? Every player touches the ball, the virus could be on the ground where it could get on the ball. You are sweating,s oo probably touching your face. 

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is some anecdotal stuff, but there hasn't been any time for a study of anything yet, let alone a long term study.  Remember the first known cases of this are about 6 months old.  It will be years before we REALLY know what hit us.

You could say that about everything at this point. I don't think that we can say we know anything about covid as a fact other than things that can be established so quickly. It took nearly a decade for them to establish complete info on HIV. They started to take it seriously in 1985 and they really didn't know anything beyond anecdotes until the early 90s. 

I'm only comparing HIV and Covid in their early stages of knowledge, because they're completely different viruses in both how they spread and lethality. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

What a day!

29300 tests

2268 positive cases

7.7% positive rate, a new low.

100 fewer people on ventilators than last week, hospitalization declining.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You could say that about everything at this point. I don't think that we can say we know anything about covid as a fact other than things that can be established so quickly. It took nearly a decade for them to establish complete info on HIV. They started to take it seriously in 1985 and they really didn't know anything beyond anecdotes until the early 90s. 

I'm only comparing HIV and Covid in their early stages of knowledge, because they're completely different viruses in both how they spread and lethality. 

Sure, but that is the whole point.  We think we might see some things or patterns, but when you say long term effects, there is no way of knowing since the oldest cases are 6 months old.