Jump to content
caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All you’re missing is The Alamo soundtrack playing in the background...

All epic Texas stories end in Mexico. Lonesome Dove, The Road, Blood Meridian . . . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If you can't have people masked, then yeah, indoor tennis would be very likely to transmit, regardless of the distance. If 100 people in a fitness studio can get it from 1 person, then it's going to get from one partner to the other during an hour of high effort exercise. 

I'm not sure that's true, because gravity (this virus needs droplets to travel upon), but honestly I can't sit here and say I know what the danger is overall. Substantially less than smaller spaces and closer together like a typical gym class space I am sure, and not 100% safe I am also sure. Where in between I don't know.

Playing singles tennis, baseline to baseline is 78 feet. Even if you both rush the net to get to the midline, that's like 40 feet of gap and only on those occasions. In a room that is not only big enough for multiple tennis courts wide, but also has ceilings that have to be 30' or more. I would have to think that is nearly as safe as being outside. I am more worried about the ball, as DA pointed out, as it travels and is handled by each player.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I'm not sure that's true, because gravity (this virus needs droplets to travel upon), but honestly I can't sit here and say I know what the danger is overall. Substantially less than smaller spaces and closer together like a typical gym class space I am sure, and not 100% safe I am also sure. Where in between I don't know.

Playing singles tennis, baseline to baseline is 78 feet. Even if you both rush the net to get to the midline, that's like 40 feet of gap and only on those occasions. In a room that is not only big enough for multiple tennis courts wide, but also has ceilings that have to be 30' or more. I would have to think that is nearly as safe as being outside. I am more worried about the ball, as DA pointed out, as it travels and is handled by each player.

 

They are also typically partitioned so the exposure is likely contained to the court itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, greg775 said:

b.) Well, it's official. The hatred Americans have toward each other is out of control.

Have you lived in this country for long? Have you been sleeping through all the horrible things we have been doing to each other for the past few hundred years?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, scientists and doctors correct, Trump wrong. Who would have figured? Apparently, there is a dire shortage of ICU beds in Alabama. 

The other sad news is a new study indicates that as many as 42% of the recent job losses will not come back. 

Competent leadership matters. There is all kinds of info how this was basically ignored for a couple of months, and it has really hurt everyone except the filthy rich. Bezos net worth has gone up $34 billion since this began, Zuckerberg $25 billion.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign of the times, I have multiple masks here and I'm kind of matching them to what I'm wearing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump now demanding all churches be open. Says if Governors don't oblige, he will override them. Truly a man of God. 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump now demanding all churches be open. Says if Governors don't oblige, he will override them. Truly a man of God. 

 

 

 

Thank goodness. Liquor stores have been open. My pastor has safety regulations totally in place. I would love to see a list of states Trump is overriding. We sit three to a row eight feet apart. Every fourth row. Masks mandatory. Hand cleaner at door. if I get it I get it. Shoulda done this weeks ago regarding churches compared to liquor stores. Anybody know if Illinois churches have been open? They are now.

p.s. Like I said about last Sunday. Our Mass had 14 people. Across the street. Graduation party with at least 50. No masks. Gimme a break at the discrepancy. Pastors are taking precautions. If we get it we get it just like if we go to the store for some booze.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thank goodness. Liquor stores have been open. My pastor has safety regulations totally in place. I would love to see a list of states Trump is overriding. We sit three to a row eight feet apart. Every fourth row. Masks mandatory. Hand cleaner at door. if I get it I get it. Shoulda done this weeks ago regarding churches compared to liquor stores. Anybody know if Illinois churches have been open? They are now.

p.s. Like I said about last Sunday. Our Mass had 14 people. Across the street. Graduation party with at least 50. No masks. Gimme a break at the discrepancy. Pastors are taking precautions. If we get it we get it just like if we go to the store for some booze.

Interesting that these churches took those same precautions...

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/498643-two-southern-churches-forced-to-reclose-after-leaders-and

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yi

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump now demanding all churches be open. Says if Governors don't oblige, he will override them. Truly a man of God. 

 

 

 

Why does he want to override them on this issue when he has been deferring to governors for so long? Does he even have the authority to do this? 

This is so phony, it reeks. At my wife's church, no one wants to return yet. So many of the congregation is over 60. I guess they don't feel like dying when the service is already streamed.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

We have a limit of 70 max people. Last week there were 14. Way more dangerous to be in a liquor store IMO. People are committing suicide. People are freaking out and depressed. We need church. As trump said it's an essential service. He even mentioned the liquor store fiasco. It's pretty obvious with the NCAA allowing kids on campus for volunteer workouts and the openings of movie theatres in conservative states like Kansas, that like it or not, the plan has begun to open everything up and pretty much allow us all to get the virus. Let's pray (or hope if you are not religious) we have bodies strong enough to prevail over the virus. The economy simply has to open no matter what the exotic ice cream eating governors think. Only other option is socialism and start sending us all 10,000 a crack not 1,200 bucks. Peace.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump now demanding all churches be open. Says if Governors don't oblige, he will override them. Truly a man of God. 

 

 

 

Chances of this happening if they didn’t vote 85-90% Republican?

Probably about the same level of probability as Trump doing PSA’s for the US Postal Service hyping “mail it in” voting during September and October.

 

All the Dem governors should collectively respond...sure, we’ll open every church in the country as long as you provide waivers allowing them to sue the Trumps or Federal government instead of state/local governments if/when they invariably start to get sick now or in the fall/winter.

After all, Washington, D.C., has the printing presses.   They can keep cutting taxes and juice the stock and lending markets, whereas states and cities are the ones looking at massive layoffs and/or the inevitability of raising taxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

We have a limit of 70 max people. Last week there were 14. Way more dangerous to be in a liquor store IMO. People are committing suicide. People are freaking out and depressed. We need church. As trump said it's an essential service. He even mentioned the liquor store fiasco. It's pretty obvious with the NCAA allowing kids on campus for volunteer workouts and the openings of movie theatres in conservative states like Kansas, that like it or not, the plan has begun to open everything up and pretty much allow us all to get the virus. Let's pray (or hope if you are not religious) we have bodies strong enough to prevail over the virus. The economy simply has to open no matter what the exotic ice cream eating governors think. Only other option is socialism and start sending us all 10,000 a crack not 1,200 bucks. Peace.

Why would a tyrannical, unreasonable governor allow movie theatres?

Now KS is suddenly conservative again?  Guess that governor and Board of Commissioners wasn’t so all-powerful, after all.

Trump was perfectly happy to send out those checks...and wanted MORE.  Still does.  Thought it was just a great idea. And sent out letters with his ridiculous signature (just imagine the ink/printing costs) claiming credit for personally delivering the money, even it it was already there in the account via Direct Deposit.  You can dream on about the $10,000.  It’s going to be perfectly calibrated to potentially elicit your vote, and that alone.

So we can honestly debate the societal benefits (versus disincentives) of massive non tax-payers like Amazon and Facebook largely funding $1000-1500 per month to the 10-12 million Americans who will never get their jobs back (Yang Gang talked about this plan for month after month), but that’s too nuanced an argument.  For now, Trump will be a socialist if it helps him.  He simply doesn’t have any guiding principles beyond holding onto power.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably about the same level of probability as Trump doing PSA’s for the US Postal Service hyping “mail it in” voting during September and October.

I’m sure our Commander in Chief is well aware that approximately 20% of the USPS workforce are his fellow veterans - some of whom I’m sure are similarly proud of their Purple Hearts. A little hard to believe he’s going to dismantle it and leave them jobless despite them being tagged essential workers who kept working during the coronavirus and work for an entity established by his beloved Constitution. Surely, he’ll come around, stop badmouthing the USPS, and start doing the PSAs the closer we get to the election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I’m sure our Commander in Chief is well aware that approximately 20% of the USPS workforce are his fellow veterans - some of whom I’m sure are similarly proud of their Purple Hearts. A little hard to believe he’s going to dismantle it and leave them jobless despite them being tagged essential workers who kept working during the coronavirus and work for an entity established by his beloved Constitution. Surely, he’ll come around, stop badmouthing the USPS, and start doing the PSAs the closer we get to the election.

There’s not much hope for either side.

Trump already knows that the USPS will largely vote against him, not unlike the UAW or American Federation of Teachers, so they become a convenient target, especially when bundled with his anti-Bezos campaign (subsidizing Amazon shipping.)

Biden is so tone deaf that he simply assumes he’s entitled to the African American vote because, well, Obamas and Rep. Clyburn.  He’s falling into the same bad habits that nearly cost him the nomination in the first place.  Coasting along and letting Trump gaffe himself to death while sheltering in your basement isn’t exactly an inspirational campaign strategy, either.


Meanwhile, Washington is losing “hundreds of millions” in unemployment funds to Nigerian hackers/scammers because these outdated/antiquated state computer systems haven't been upgraded since Windows 97.   I could understand if this happened in one of the poorest states in the country, but Washington is the home of Microsoft and Amazon.   And let’s not get started on dams, bridges, highways, broadband/5G, Amtrak, subways, airports.   There are  numerous problems here in China, but infrastructure certainly isn’t one of them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/washington-adds-more-than-145000-weekly-jobless-claims-as-coronavirus-crisis-lingers/

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s not much hope for either side.

Trump already knows that the USPS will largely vote against him, not unlike the UAW or American Federation of Teachers, so they become a convenient target, especially when bundled with his anti-Bezos campaign (subsidizing Amazon shipping.)

Biden is so tone deaf that he simply assumes he’s entitled to the African American vote because, well, Obamas and Rep. Clyburn.  He’s falling into the same bad habits that nearly cost him the nomination in the first place.  Coasting along and letting Trump gaffe himself to death while sheltering in your basement isn’t exactly an inspirational campaign strategy, either.


Meanwhile, Washington is losing “hundreds of millions” in unemployment funds to Nigerian hackers/scammers because these outdated/antiquated state computer systems haven't been upgraded since Windows 97.   I could understand if this happened in one of the poorest states in the country, but Washington is the home of Microsoft and Amazon.   And let’s not get started on dams, bridges, highways, broadband/5G, Amtrak, subways, airports.   There are  numerous problems here in China, but infrastructure certainly isn’t one of them.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/economy/washington-adds-more-than-145000-weekly-jobless-claims-as-coronavirus-crisis-lingers/

I’m still debating if what Biden said was that wrong. I see it more of turning off voters in his tone, but I don’t think the message is necessarily wrong, especially when you have a president saying there are very fine people in both sides and call countries shithole countries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I’m still debating if what Biden said was that wrong. I see it more of turning off voters in his tone, but I don’t think the message is necessarily wrong, especially when you have a president saying there are very fine people in both sides and call countries shithole countries.

Life has to be more nuanced.   And falling into the “what about what Trump said?” standard didn’t work out well in 2016.

Imagine if the conversation was with a Hispanic DJ, well, it’s not so cut-and-dried.  Bernie Sanders was successfully mobilizing both Latinos and young people, but Biden still can’t seem to break through (it’s why Cortez Masto and Lujan Grisham are on all the VP short lists.)   If he simply assumed all those voters were going to come to him instead of Trump, he would be mistaken, since many Hispanics vote on social issues like abortion, school prayer, education, morals/values/ethics.  This conflicts with the peace and justice side of Catholicism, which would put them more firmly in the Dem camp.  But let’s not conveniently forget that the Obama/Biden administration also deported roughly 3 million illegal immigrants.  It’s not as obvious as it looks at first glance.

Or Asian American voters, that’s even more complicated.

I just don’t believe in the times that we currently live that any group in the country can be treated as a monolithic bloc.

In my lifetime, making such assumptions about the “African American base” has come back to bite Gore (2000) and HRC, in particular.  They couldn’t transfer the popularity of Bill Clinton and the Obamas to their own campaigns.

And it still might not matter, because the coronavirus response and economic malaise has arguably undone any inroads Trump was making heading into 2020. 
 

 

And back to Covid-land...

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. Ewing, after those years of rooting against you but still respecting your game, and respecting your coaching...do this to that Virus. 

b1e56f35-263b-47ff-8223-953af3b35d12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Meanwhile, Washington is losing “hundreds of millions” in unemployment funds to Nigerian hackers/scammers because these outdated/antiquated state computer systems haven't been upgraded since Windows 97.   I could understand if this happened in one of the poorest states in the country, but Washington is the home of Microsoft and Amazon. 

You'll be closer if you subtract about 20 years from that. They are still running on COBOL, which has been around longer than I have.

Edited by Iwritecode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×