caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

It's that time of day:

1622 new cases

21697 new tests

7.4% positive - not as good as yesterday but hard not to look at the last 30 days and feel a lot better - testing has gone up and cases have started to go down

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.39.04 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Trump terminating US relationship with WHO. That is not good.

And his supporters cheer! 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

It's that time of day:

1622 new cases

21697 new tests

7.4% positive - not as good as yesterday but hard not to look at the last 30 days and feel a lot better - testing has gone up and cases have started to go down

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 2.39.04 PM.png

I believe yesterday was the first day that Texas passed you in cases. Congrats to both states on achieving their goals!

Illinois was the first to hit the CDC reopening guidelines. Our people have kicked some ass on this thing - the citizens AND the leadership. Not often I get to say nice things about IL state government, so this is a good opportunity. Pritzker was not terribly popular upon election, but his ratings are quite good now. I can make a list of imperfections in his response to COVID, but overall he's clearly done good work. As have most governors, really.

At least one person who was at that Lake in the Ozarks pool party last week has the virus. Look for quite a few more soon. Dumbasses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

At least one person who was at that Lake in the Ozarks pool party last week has the virus. Look for quite a few more soon. Dumbasses.

Too bad Marty and Wendy Byrde weren't around to get their people to end that party before it got started

Isolation for 14 days 'unnecessary', claims Germany's top government scientist

A second wave of coronavirus infections can be prevented, says Prof. Christian Drosten

https://www.yahoo.com/news/isolation-14-days-unnecessary-claims-134829445.html

In the beginning, of course, we needed the whole wide range of measures because we didn't know exactly what would help. Now we know the virus better, we know better how it spreads,” Prof Drosten said in an interview with Germany’s Spiegel magazine.

“The incubation period and the time in which you are contagious are all much shorter than originally thought.”

There is still no sign of a second wave in Germany almost six weeks after the country began lifting its lockdown, and Prof Drosten said it may be possible to avoid one completely.

“There is a theoretical possibility that we can get through without a second wave,” he said.

The way the virus is spread by relatively few people — the so-called “superspreaders” — means it is easier to control than initially feared, he explained.

“We have a few people who infect many others. That sort of infection is easier to control than one that spread uniformly under the radar, as we assumed at first.  If you notice where an outbreak is brewing, you have to hit it hard.”

Prof Drosten said a policy of tracking and tracing is key, but warned that testing all those who have been in contact with an infected person can be too slow.

“The latest analysis shows clearly you don't start testing all possible contacts. That will always be too late. Instead, all contacts need to be isolated. But for a week, not 14 days.”

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Isolation for 14 days 'unnecessary', claims Germany's top government scientist

A second wave of coronavirus infections can be prevented, says Prof. Christian Drosten

https://www.yahoo.com/news/isolation-14-days-unnecessary-claims-134829445.html

In the beginning, of course, we needed the whole wide range of measures because we didn't know exactly what would help. Now we know the virus better, we know better how it spreads,” Prof Drosten said in an interview with Germany’s Spiegel magazine.

“The incubation period and the time in which you are contagious are all much shorter than originally thought.”

There is still no sign of a second wave in Germany almost six weeks after the country began lifting its lockdown, and Prof Drosten said it may be possible to avoid one completely.

“There is a theoretical possibility that we can get through without a second wave,” he said.

The way the virus is spread by relatively few people — the so-called “superspreaders” — means it is easier to control than initially feared, he explained.

“We have a few people who infect many others. That sort of infection is easier to control than one that spread uniformly under the radar, as we assumed at first.  If you notice where an outbreak is brewing, you have to hit it hard.”

Prof Drosten said a policy of tracking and tracing is key, but warned that testing all those who have been in contact with an infected person can be too slow.

“The latest analysis shows clearly you don't start testing all possible contacts. That will always be too late. Instead, all contacts need to be isolated. But for a week, not 14 days.”

You're going to have a lot of time on your hands when this vaccine is created.

• Haha 4

Texas high school athletics getting started for fall in two weeks with strength and conditioning camps. Finally back to normal. 

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

You're going to have a lot of time on your hands when this vaccine is created.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-vaccine-266679

Probably not....it will take 2-3 if not 3-5 years to fully distribute, and then there’s going to be global political/economic battles if it comes from either the US or China.

Maybe it’s better for the world if France, UK or Germany gets there first...or the Gates Foundation. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Probably not....it will take 2-3 if not 3-5 years to fully distribute, and then there’s going to be global political/economic battles if it comes from either the US or China.

Maybe it’s better for the world if France, UK or Germany gets there first...or the Gates Foundation. 

I heard Gates is putting microchips in every body. Bill said we are already being tracked by our smart phones. 

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I think when there is a vaccine it will end up like the flu shot: not required but encouraged. Therefore not everyone will get the dose and COVID-19 will forever be apart of our world, like the flu.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I heard Gates is putting microchips in every body. Bill said we are already being tracked by our smart phones. 

They’re NOT already inside us?  News to the anti-vaxxers.

I'm currently waiting for test results to come back after feeling like I've had a cold for three or so days. Hopefully, that's all it is.

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Get ready for cases to spike all over yet again because of all the protests.

Yeah, unfortunately the stay at home protests, early reopenings, and now the Floyd protests will all stack into another spike.

If you want to listen to a bunch of infectious disease doctors, epidemologists, and virologists talk about this stuff weekly, you can check out this podcast. They seem to understand that they've gotten a broader audience than they're typically used to over the past couple of months and so do a decent job of explaining some of the jargon.

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

Interesting case/treatment updates and discussions of latest research out there.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Thanks 1

surprised but 20k tests were reported yesterday but only 970 positives. I'd imagine a very low tally tomorrow since so many closed today.

But yeah, today illinois is under 5%, go figure.

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

I got tested Thursday and have still not received results. 

Are you feeling mostly the same?  Better?  Worse?

I feel like I have a cold; felt about the same for about six days. I think its probably a cold, but I needed to get tested due to my job. Was hoping for a little quicker turnaround.