COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

I'm still curious what article you copy-pasted these bullet points for since the Nature paper Balta links doesn't contain the phrase in the quotation marks, doesn't mention Sweden at all and states their IFR as 0.75%.

I believe that I read somewhere recently from another source it was settling in at a tick under 0.3, still roughly three times more deadly than the common flu, and still obviously lacking a vaccine.

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Practice treating patients. 

Deaths are also a lagging indicator. Patients test positive after about 5 days, but many of the deaths don't happen until after days 10-14, some of them wait until after day 21. 

Cases go up first. Then hospitalizations. Then deaths. 

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Practice treating patients. 

Especially that cytokine storm aspect.   Before, in NY/NJ, going on a ventilator was essentially a death sentence roughly 80-90% of the time at the peak of that eastern wave.

I haven’t seen any recent numbers for those emerging from critical condition and improving, but it has to be much lower.

Secondly, patients are getting more time devoted by doctors and nurses because shutdowns kept the majority of hospitals from being inundated.

An area we seem to be lacking is in nurse to patient ratios, where Germany seems to have gotten over the hump through utilization of that niche advantage embedded in their health care system, as well as early and much more effective testing and tracing from the earliest stages (one of the first, if not THE first, EU countries to be hit.)

19 minutes ago, StateStSports said:

So cases are skyrocketing, but deaths are going down, how is that?

I read two reasons. It could be that deaths are just lagging, as it can take time, and that  it could be a younger crowd has acquired the virus and the death rate for younger people without compromising issues is generally lowere.

Texas students will be returning to public schools in person this fall, Gov. Greg Abbott told state lawmakers Thursday morning.

Teacher associations in Texas say ‘hell no’ to education official’s plans to reopen campuses in fall

TEA says masks, COVID-19 tests will not be required for students

Oklahoma judge refuses to require social distancing at Trump’s Tulsa rally amid coronavirus concerns

Perhaps the most shocking news of the year!  Coming up next after the commercial break, OK judge involved in massive civil lawsuit...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oklahoma-judge-refuses-to-require-social-distancing-at-trumps-tulsa-rally-amid-coronavirus-concerns

Just now, Dick Allen said:

It’s just fading away. It will be gone with a vaccine or not. And a lot sooner than people think. Believe me.

Stop hyping up the second wave, MSM!   (The first one actually isn’t going to pass until September or October.)

Mike Pence accuses the media of 'fear mongering' over a second wave of Covid-19 in a misleading Wall Street Journal op-ed that praises Trump.

15 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I wish I was a bystander to this. 

Even as we now have official permission starting this past weekend to “unmask,” 90-95% of Wuhan is still wearing them outside despite growing heat and humidity (we’re a lot like Augusta, GA if you’ve been there in the summertime, a blast furnace with 85-90% humidity.)

Feel for you.  We’ve got three weeks of online classes, only 37 days of actual summer holiday...and now Beijing outbreak is making it nearly impossible to travel long distances, even inside the country.

Starting to lose many of our teachers still trapped in limbo unable to return to China due to ban on foreigners entering. To top it off, they cut teacher pay for local teachers to 30% for five months...now they have been forced to come into school for office hours (820-440)  from June 15th through August 15th despite no actual classes, online or offline, available for them to teach on the schedule.  Some are having to teach 9th graders on Saturdays as well (Grade 6/9/12 are only students who returned in the entire province), as students have had national exams to enter 10th grade pushed back from early June all the way to July 20th.  It’s crazy.  And HR director is astounded, wonders why nobody wants to come work in Wuhan!!!

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, StateStSports said:

So cases are skyrocketing, but deaths are going down, how is that?

And more younger demographics are the ones going out and getting infected (who have lower overall mortality rates from this).  

https://www.tpr.org/post/under-cloud-coronavirus-fears-northside-isd-plans-online-only-options-fall?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1592446183

Basically my school system wants the kids who are most in need in the building every day. Next most needy, three days, next most two days, and the fourth group will be 100% on line. 

I'm so happy we're looking at the full needs of our students going beyond the academics.

• Love 1

The campaign will be distributing face masks and hand sanitizer at the event but won’t require that the face masks be worn. The temperature of everyone entering will be taken, according to the campaign.

In advance of Saturday’s rally, Gov. Kevin Stitt was in Washington on Thursday for a televised discussion with Trump and two Oklahoma business owners — hotelier Pete Patel and restaurant owner Lori Burson.

Stitt told Trump that Oklahomans are excited for his upcoming visit, saying over a million people have requested tickets for the event.

Stitt said the rally will be “amazing.” “Oklahoma is ready for your visit,” Stitt said. “It is going to be safe. We are really, really excited.”

“One of the reasons we chose your state, Kevin, is you have done so well with the COVID,” Trump said. “You have handled it incredibly well.”

Stitt thanked Trump for his administration’s support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Neither mentioned that new cases in the state and in Tulsa County have skyrocketed in recent days.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/whirlwind-of-activity-surrounding-trump-visit-descends-on-tulsa/article_a7cf501f-20b9-5952-bffb-8c1b31648571.html

Edited by caulfield12

Still can’t actually believe 19,000 Americans are going to fill an arena with no mask requirement to enter...in the same exact state out of 50 that has had the highest growth rate in Covid cases.

It’s beyond even idiocracy or similar derogative phrases like American Idiot.  Seems like every other week, we experience yet another surreal moment that doesn’t even seem possible in the America we all grew up in.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Still can’t actually believe 19,000 Americans are going to fill an arena with no mask requirement to enter...in the same exact state out of 50 that has had the highest growth rate in Covid cases.

It’s beyond even idiocracy or similar derogative phrases like American Idiot.  Seems like every other week, we experience yet another surreal moment that doesn’t even seem possible in the America we all grew up in.

Everything is surreal now especially with the notion that wearing a mask is a political. I just had a session with my personal trainer. She had a mask, and I had a mask. It was not a political statement by either one of us.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tony said:

This, and we simply got bored with it. We're so selfish, so entitled, so self-serving, a disruption in our daily lives couldn't be tolerated for any longer, our health and safety be damned. It makes me so angry to think about how we are actually living in Idiocracy. 

It just amazes me that safety and health has been so far politicized.  

• Like 1

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/health-care/chicago-has-unique-covid-strain-research

Chicagoans are being infected with a unique strain of COVID-19 that’s linked to the early coronavirus outbreak in China, according to new research. Northwestern Medicine scientists have determined that the Chicago area “is a melting pot for different versions of the virus because it is such a transportation hub,” Dr. Egon Ozer