caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

15 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This is getting awfully political and particularly nasty towards our president. Please remember the rules and treat out president fairly

I don’t care what your political views are, Donald Trump is a horrible, selfish person and doesn’t deserve a single ounce of respect.  This whole Tulsa rally and the dumb comments he made during it just reinforce that.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t care what your political views are, Donald Trump is a horrible, selfish person and doesn’t deserve a single ounce of respect.  This whole Tulsa rally and the dumb comments he made during it just reinforce that.

Its ron, don’t take a word he says seriously. He’s proven time and time again his opinion on anything and everything is meaningless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Its ron, don’t take a word he says seriously. He’s proven time and time again his opinion on anything and everything is meaningless. 

Typical words spoken by somebody that has been dunked/clowned on by me in a past discussion

8 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Typical words spoken by somebody that has been dunked/clowned on by me in a past discussion

17 minutes ago, Tony said:

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This is getting awfully political and particularly nasty towards our president. Please remember the rules and treat out president fairly

It seems odd that he is holding campaign rallies during a pandemic and wants to slow testing down. No matter how he spins things, COVID-19 is going to be an issue in America even after the election and it is impacting people who are vulnerable. I can’t support the approach he has taken with the virus as of late and how he shows a complete disregard for science and that community. I can criticize him fairly, even though I know he only cares about his base and not moderate independents like me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

It seems odd that he is holding campaign rallies during a pandemic and wants to slow testing down. No matter how he spins things, COVID-19 is going to be an issue in America even after the election and it is impacting people who are vulnerable. I can’t support the approach he has taken with the virus as of late and how he shows a complete disregard for science and that community. I can criticize him fairly, even though I know he only cares about his base and not moderate independents like me.

Again, this is a “poster” that has spent years trying to troll this site by telling us Jose Abreu sends a bad message to kids by dipping on the field. But when someone criticizes Agent Orange about holding a rally during a pandemic, we better not make fun of his fearless leader. 

• Love 3

56 minutes ago, Tony said:

Again, this is a “poster” that has spent years trying to troll this site by telling us Jose Abreu sends a bad message to kids by dipping on the field. But when someone criticizes Agent Orange about holding a rally during a pandemic, we better not make fun of his fearless leader. 

I'm not a Trump fan, I just think that many people and the (fake) news media treats him very unfairly. Disproportionally so in comparison to others. 

21 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I'm not a Trump fan, I just think that many people and the (fake) news media treats him very unfairly. Disproportionally so in comparison to others. 

Go back to 2010, the Tea Party Patriots and Mitch McConnell deliberately obstructing everything Obama tried to do...even after the Dems actually made numerous attempts to compromise.

If Trump loses in November, he will spend every single day of those subsequent four years trying to destroy Biden, not any different from the birther controversy.  Fox News, Breitbart, Alex Jones, Rush, OAN, etc. will do the exact same.  Why would anyone expect that dichotomy to change, the divisiveness to be healed?

It only seems MORE unfair is because this last month has been the bottom of the Trump presidency in terms of support and polling.   Obama reached similar numbers in the upper 30’s, but actually had the ability to reach out to more than just his base.  In fact, you can say the same of every President re-elected in modern times, even GW Bush and Nixon.

• Like 3

Seems we’re going to see another “mass” rally in Arizona this week, where Covid cases have doubled recently and the Phoenix area still doesn’t have adequate testing capacity.

One penalty being discussed is $250 fines for not wearing masks.  Not sure how well that would work.

As for the protests, mostly outside where germs/bacteria are more easily dispersed and a much higher % of masking than was in evidence over the weekend in Tulsa, where it was 1 in 10, at best.  

35 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

We don't seem to be seeing upticks from the protests. 

Which I don’t seem to understand? Do we think this is spreading more indoors, could that be the reason?

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Which I don’t seem to understand? Do we think this is spreading more indoors, could that be the reason?

Yes and masks will get us closer to some normalcy 

2 hours ago, StateStSports said:

Yes and masks will get us closer to some normalcy 

Six months into this and they still have no clue.   Do what HK, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, South Korea, Australia/NZ and Germany are doing.   Almost everyone wears masks there (at least in Asia), even for pollution and common colds.

Given the case increases, the CDC has been conducting a scientific review about the public health benefits of masks, and will soon make an updated recommendation, a senior CDC official told CNN.

A senior official with knowledge of the review said science is being studied as to whether masks are not only "good for source control -- and keeping you from giving it to others -- but we're also seeing if masks are going to protect you from getting [Covid-19] yourself."

"We know it's a good thing to wear a mask to protect others. We are studying if it is also potentially going to keep you safe," the official added.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said last week that people under 30 made up a majority of new coronavirus cases in several counties. He said that increase in young infected people could be related to Memorial Day parties, visits to bars or other gatherings.

And in Florida, Gov. Ron DeSantis said Friday that the median age was 37 for newly diagnosed coronavirus cases over the last week. In the state, 62% of new cases for the week of June 7 are under 45 years old, he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/21/us/us-coronavirus-sunday/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Yeah, Dr. Osterholm (who has been brought up in this thread) has said that a factor in the protests favor was that they were basically all outside and most of the protesters have been wearing masks.

13 hours ago, Tony said:

Most people were wearing masks, and the protests were outdoors.  I am still surprised that there wasn't at least some increase in the positivity rate.  Definitely good news.

I was talking to my parents last night, who live in NC.  Apparently the state is making masks mandatory starting today in response to cases on the increase again, and they're concerned there will be another lockdown.  They remarked how well Illinois has done is national news.  It's amazing the number of people here who are still b****ing about the plan.  We're now on pace to go to Phase 4 on Friday, when movie theaters will be allowed to open and restaurants can start seating inside.  Six weeks ago, getting there seemed like an impossibility.  It really shows how effective social distancing and masks can be.

I read an article that said if 80% of people wore masks, the virus could be pretty well controlled.  It's really not hard to wear a mask, and it's a shame more people aren't wearing them.

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/06/20/arizona-coronavirus-masks-pkg-lah-ebof-vpx.cnn

Man says he lost family to virus.  Why he's still not wearing a mask.

No-lockdown Sweden is compelling parents to send their children to school. Some fear their kids could ultimately be taken away if they refuse.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-lockdown-sweden-compelling-parents-092900158.html

Edited by caulfield12

13 hours ago, Tony said:

That and despite what the Trump campaign is trying to tell everyone, most protesters were wearing masks. 

Illinois is on pace to move to Phase 4, but we still have hundreds of new cases a day and don't seem to have any sort of contact tracing in place at all. 

Seems unwise imo.

12 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Illinois is on pace to move to Phase 4, but we still have hundreds of new cases a day and don't seem to have any sort of contact tracing in place at all. 

Seems unwise imo.

The latest Apple IOS update has an app through Google that you can voluntarily turn on. If you test positive its supposed to alert others close to you.

Of course this all relies on people a) volunteering this information and b) using the app.

Also people are just now finding it on social media and think it's some big brother conspiracy even though it was all over the news a month ago.