caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

Social media continues to prove to me that a greater majority of the population are pretty much idiots than I would have hoped.

What is the government going to do with the information that I went to visit my father yesterday, am at work and may stop at the grocery store this afternoon.  Hell I tell my car insurance company my every move in an attempt to save a few hundred bucks.  If you don't want to be traced use a burner phone when conducting those activities. 

Wearing a mask does not cure or prevent COVID but it does reduce the chances of getting it.  I would think that concept is an easy one.

A friend of mine is begging people to come back to work and they refuse, not because of COVID but because of the government paying people to remain unemployed.

I am really starting to fear for this world.

18 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Social media continues to prove to me that a greater majority of the population are pretty much idiots than I would have hoped.

What is the government going to do with the information that I went to visit my father yesterday, am at work and may stop at the grocery store this afternoon.  Hell I tell my car insurance company my every move in an attempt to save a few hundred bucks.  If you don't want to be traced use a burner phone when conducting those activities. 

Wearing a mask does not cure or prevent COVID but it does reduce the chances of getting it.  I would think that concept is an easy one.

A friend of mine is begging people to come back to work and they refuse, not because of COVID but because of the government paying people to remain unemployed.

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot like the elections, there is some foreign element on social media helping to fuel these fires. There will always be idiots, but every day I go out, I count how many masks I see on the first 20 people I encounter. My high mark last week was 7.

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Wouldn't surprise me if a lot like the elections, there is some foreign element on social media helping to fuel these fires.

There is, at least on Twitter. The replies to any COVID-related tweet are littered with anti-mask/anti-science ramblings from bots. Because there are so many of said bots, these replies get vaulted to the top because they all like and retweet each other. It's a real problem and Twitter needs to find a way to get rid of these accounts quicker

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

I wonder if the Sox and Cubs would look to allow attendance (if the season actually starts)?

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Thought that people were at risk of losing UNE if they were called back to work and couldn’t find a valid health-related or childcare-related excuse?

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Thought that people were at risk of losing UNE if they were called back to work and couldn’t find a valid health-related or childcare-related excuse?

In fact states have set up snitch lines for this exact purpose.  They want to make sure that they get everyone off of unemployment as possible.

South Korea becomes first country to announce “second wave“ of coronavirus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-south-korea-second-wave-112229586.html

• 90 cases and it’s a second wave. Florida has 4 thousand yesterday and it’s just minor setback.
  •  
    Ken
    32 minutes ago
    They call it a second wave.... we just call it a spike in cases. Go figure!
Edited by caulfield12

Detailed Phase 4 guidance released, along with Pritzker (and Lightfoot) announcing we are going to Phase 4 Friday.

Two things missing are two of the three that families are most focused on: schools and overnight camps (they DID release Day Camp guidance already, so that is good). Schools guidance coming soon apparently, but there is still some question around overnight camps.

I will say again, you cannot expect to do all this Phase 4 opening if you do not also fully open schools in the fall. To do one and not the other is a disaster for a LOT of families who will be left with an impossible choice.

Two (more) staffers who attended President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Saturday tested positive for coronavirus, Trump's campaign said Monday. 

"After another round of testing for campaign staff in Tulsa, two additional members of the advance team tested positive for the coronavirus. These staff members attended the rally but were wearing masks during the entire event. Upon the positive tests, the campaign immediately activated established quarantine and contact tracing protocols," Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh told CNN in a statement. 

The two positive tests, first reported by CNBC, bring the total number of Trump advance team staffers in Tulsa who tested positive for coronavirus to eight. 

Hours before Trump's Saturday rally, the campaign said that six staffers working on the rally tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/politics/two-staffers-coronavirus-trump-rally/index.html

That’s in addition to two Secret Service members, making ten in all so far that are in 14 day quarantine...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/amid-threats-and-political-pushback-public-health-officials-leaving-posts/2020/06/22/6075f7a2-b0cf-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virus-officials-1245pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&itid=hp_hp-top-table-main_virus-officials-1245pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

Public health care workers feel villainized, leaving posts 

Edited by caulfield12

23 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Hmm

Sounds like our current climate change philosophy.   Let’s wait until it’s an overwhelming problem, at which point it might be too late to intervene.  Meanwhile, we’ll stick our heads in the sand.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Detailed Phase 4 guidance released, along with Pritzker (and Lightfoot) announcing we are going to Phase 4 Friday.

Two things missing are two of the three that families are most focused on: schools and overnight camps (they DID release Day Camp guidance already, so that is good). Schools guidance coming soon apparently, but there is still some question around overnight camps.

I will say again, you cannot expect to do all this Phase 4 opening if you do not also fully open schools in the fall. To do one and not the other is a disaster for a LOT of families who will be left with an impossible choice.

My wife is a high school teacher and we have been left wondering what to do. It seems tough trying to have everyone to go back at once without a staggered start, or starting in person and doing an online component. I don’t think we can trust the kids to wear masks, be socially distanced in classrooms and expect teachers to wear face shields. I think they might be going to school to start but the bulk of the first semester may be at home online. Then maybe when the vaccine comes out then in person classes will resume.

40 minutes ago, The Beast said:

My wife is a high school teacher and we have been left wondering what to do. It seems tough trying to have everyone to go back at once without a staggered start, or starting in person and doing an online component. I don’t think we can trust the kids to wear masks, be socially distanced in classrooms and expect teachers to wear face shields. I think they might be going to school to start but the bulk of the first semester may be at home online. Then maybe when the vaccine comes out then in person classes will resume.

They are in high school.  They can wear masks.  The online school was a fucking joke.  Before this started  my kids were high honors students.  The online classroom is so fucking easy. They put in about 45 minutes of work a day with their "online" class. They are getting cheated by this.  Most of kids in their class cheat.  Its dumb to think you can even remotely have the same level of instruction online.  This nonsense of not having in person classes until a cure comes.  Good luck with that.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

They are in high school.  They can wear masks.  The online school was a fucking joke.  Before this started  my kids were high honors students.  The online classroom is so fucking easy. They put in about 45 minutes of work a day with their "online" class. They are getting cheated by this.  Most of kids in their class cheat.  Its dumb to think you can even remotely have the same level of instruction online.  This nonsense of not having in person classes until a cure comes.  Good luck with that.  

No need to be angry about it and blame the teachers for the online learning (unless you blame administrators and Pritzker). I never said the bolded either. Every school is a bit different, the math classes require retakes for a better grade and the teachers clearly know when they are cheating. If school continues, the kids better wear masks and be social distanced away from each other. I’m not sure how sports will be handled either. We’ll see what Illinois does. 

Edited by The Beast

We still have 3 OR 4 ninety minute classes going everyday for IBDP1, AP1 and AS (A-Levels) classes that are transitioning from juniors to seniors.

They've been online from January 10th and will finish on July 10th, then resume school on August 24th (theoretically, back in school.)

6th graders even have classes Monday through Saturday ending on July 20th.

In fact, this week we're working on essays addressing this very topic for the Common Application.

Below is the question applicants will see:

Community disruptions such as COVID-19 and natural disasters can have deep and long-lasting impacts. If you need it, this space is yours to describe those impacts. Colleges care about the effects on your health and well-being, safety, family circumstances, future plans, and education, including access to reliable technology and quiet study spaces.

• Do you wish to share anything on this topic? Y/N
  • Please use this space to describe how these events have impacted you.

The question will be optional and will appear in the Additional Information section of the application.The response length will be limited to 250 words.

The question will be accompanied by a more detailed FAQ to help students consider the kinds of impacts they may wish to report, including illness and loss, housing and employment disruptions, and shifting family obligations.

Trump, who described his remark as "semi-tongue in cheek," continued to argue that the problem in the United States is not that the virus is so widespread, but that testing keeps discovering how deeply it has penetrated in the community.

"Instead of 25 million tests, let's say we did 10 million tests, we'd look like we were doing much better because we'd have far fewer cases. You understand that. I wouldn't do that, but I will say this: we do so much more than other countries it makes us in a way look bad but actually we're doing the right thing," Trump said.

www.cnn.com

Edited by caulfield12

illinois had one of those days that essentially nothing changed but because less people got tested it feels like a nice drop.

8 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

There isn't really a good answer in what to do here.

Online learning is a poor substitute, but letting a pandemic spread ain't so great either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Hmm

"Well, only the bottom floor of the house is on fire.  If the fire spreads to the second floor we may have to call the fire department."

As far as opening schools in the fall, high schools and colleges would be the easiest.  Aside from the number of students, which they can work around, there would be less worry about lack of social distancing and not wearing masks.  Elementary schools could be more difficult because of the ages of the kids.  My wife works in a preschool, and she just doesn't see how they'll be able to maintain social distancing, and it would be nearly impossible to ensure the kids keep masks on.

Then there are the questions about high school sports, music ensembles, and marching bands.  I suppose we'll find out what plans the state has soon enough.

WI released their school reopening plan:

https://fox6now.com/2020/06/22/wisconsin-department-of-public-instruction-releases-guidelines-for-reopening-schools-this-fall/

These are some example plans schools could adopt.

Four-Day Week

• Each student level (elementary, middle, and high school) reports to school, outdoor learning spaces, or community-based organizations four full days a week. Schools are closed on the fifth day to allow for deep-cleaning.
  • Students are provided with virtual learning materials—digital, analog, or a combination of the two formats—to support learning on those days when they do not report to school for in-person learning.
  • All English learner, special education, gifted and talented, and resource teachers work with small groups of students to reduce the student-teacher ratios to 10/1 or fewer in each learning environment. Learning in outdoor spaces or partnerships with community-based organizations may be needed to keep student-teacher ratios to 10/1 or fewer.
  • One day per week is used for teacher planning and professional learning. On this day, students do not report to school but virtual learning continues.

Two-Day Rotation

• All students report to school, outdoor learning spaces, or community-based organizations two full days per week (Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday).
  • Students are provided with virtual learning materials—digital, analog, or a combination of the two formats— to support learning on those days when they do not report to school for in-person learning.
  • All English learner, special education, gifted and talented, and resource teachers work with small groups ofstudents to reduce the student-teacher ratios to 10/1 or fewer in each learning environment. Learning in outdoor spaces or partnerships with community-based organizations may be needed to keep student-teacher ratios to 10/1 or fewer.
  • One day per week is used for teacher planning and professional learning. On this day, students do not report to school but virtual learning continues.

A/B Week Rotation

• Half of the student population reports to school, outdoor learning spaces, or community-based organizations four full days per week for in-person learning while the other half of the school population participates in virtual learning at home. The two student groups alternate between in-person and virtual learning weekly. All grade bands are included.
  • Students are provided with virtual learning materials—digital, analog, or a combination of the two formats—to support learning on those days when they do not report to school for in-person learning.
  • All English learner, special education, gifted and talented, and resource teachers work with small groups of students to reduce the student-teacher ratios to 10/1 or fewer in each learning environment. Learning in outdoor spaces or partnerships with community-based organizations may be needed to keep student-teacher ratios to 10/1 or fewer.
  • One day per week is used for teacher planning and professional learning. Students do not report to school on these days but continue learning independently.

Elementary Face-to-Face and Secondary Virtual Learning

• Elementary students start back to school first, before other levels.
  • Elementary students attend four full days per week and are distributed across multiple sites (e.g., elementary and middle school buildings) to reduce the student-teacher ratio in accordance with physical distancing recommendations.
  • Secondary students continue to engage in virtual learning.
  • Students are provided with virtual learning materials—digital, analog, or a combination of the two formats—to support learning on those days when they do not report to school for in-person learning.
  • One day per week is used for teacher planning and professional learning. Students do not report to school on these days but continue learning independently.

If I was a Republican delegate, I would not be heading to the national convention. Trump is the nominee so that issue was decided and decided a long time ago. The platform is not going to change, so there is no work there, either. Anyone can watch his acceptance speech on TV. Going to a hot spot like Florida wouldn't appeal to me, either. I would stay away and keep away. I don't know what the Democrats have exactly decided, but I wouldn't go there, either. Biden is the nominee, so what is the point at a time like this?

Every problem in the CDC begins and ends with the very politicized appointment of Dr. Robert Redfield.

Dr. Anne Schuchat or even Dr. Nancy Messonier (whose brother is former Attorney General Rod Rosenstein) would be better choices, especially Dr. Schuchat.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/26/trump-backers-coronavirus-conspiracy-117781