caulfield12

COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

17 minutes ago, Hawkfan said:

Protecting them by forcing them to remain jobless?  We're the government, and we're here to help you by making sure the only way you make money is if we provide it to you.

Yes making sure people can make ends meet while we go into a pandemic shutdown is good, actually. Many countries successfully did this. Otherwise we're left with... the position we find ourselves in today. Raging epidemic and another 1.4m unemployed the previous week, marking 17 straight weeks over 1m new jobless claims. People are also starting to tighten up a bit themselves as we can see from this like mobility data, restaurants traffic etc. The damage to the economy is inevitable, and the worse we let this epidemic get, the worse it'll be.

LEAST POPULAR: BETSY DEVOS,who has 28% favorable, and 40% unfavorable rating. JEFF SESSIONS: 34% (-4% net), RICK PERRY: 30% (-3% net), STEVEN MNUCHIN: 26% (-3% net), RYAN ZINKE: 22% favorable, 22% unfavorable, 22% have no opinion of him, and 34% haven’t heard of him.

politico.com

Can the Left really wish death on others?   What’s the point?  Those numbers are not even being reported anymore.  It’s laughable after all the attacks on China that we’re openly operating like the worse totalitarian regimes around the world...and nobody is even slightly surprised because we’re so anesthetized to it all.   Meanwhile, we will see Mulan in Wuhan movie theatres with national chains across the country opening up beginning on Monday, six months after the lockdown originally was imposed. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Yes making sure people can make ends meet while we go into a pandemic shutdown is good, actually. Many countries successfully did this. Otherwise we're left with... the position we find ourselves in today. Raging epidemic and another 1.4m unemployed the previous week, marking 17 straight weeks over 1m new jobless claims. People are also starting to tighten up a bit themselves as we can see from this like mobility data, restaurants traffic etc. The damage to the economy is inevitable, and the worse we let this epidemic get, the worse it'll be.

Yes, the same people who have a problem with giving people who need money, money, had no problem with the $2.3 trillion tax cut gift that benefitted the rich. It's really strange.

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How is protecting the safety of employees communism? So dumb.

Anything to the left of full-blown fascism is communism these days.

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What? 

Forcing them? You know what a demand shock is? People arent going out. People arent buying things. People lose jobs because revenue is down because a virus is killing people all across the country. 

The economy cannot repair itself until the public health crisis is fixed. When people like you start dying, we can start moving forward as a nation who gives a fuck about people again. 

Yes, there is a demand for restaurants to be open, there is a demand for schools to be open, demand for air travel, but it can't be met due to unnecessary restrictions (the uneducated would call them protections). I believe there is definitely some cause for concern when you see the Government trying to "protect" us so much.  If you think them doling out money to citizens is a good thing, that's fine, but I can't believe that is a good strategy.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Would be nice if there was a competent group that could make a program to take advantage of the college student population who is now taking online courses, and use them as a daycare resource. Create grants for the families to pay for it, students get grants for tuition, and Schools would be required to create schedule flexibility for these students in the program. Schools have easier time getting paid full tuition.

childcare/stimulus/higher ed bailout.

Are you thinking of some sort of online daycare? Because I've looked through the 5 or so posts on this and I'm not sure. 

If you're thinking of in person, the obvious problem is that college students are in general a group who are extremely likely to pick up this virus in the current wave, so sending them into people's homes would make it extremely likely that they'd be spreading the virus around as they did so.

In other ways, the spread of COVID-19 is keeping Americans from going back to work. The perception of public transit as unsafe, for example, makes it expensive and tough for commuters to get to their jobs. Schools and day-care centers are struggling to figure out how to reopen safely, meaning millions of parents are facing a fall juggling work and child care. This is a disaster. “The lingering uncertainty about whether in-person education will resume isn’t the result of malfeasance, but utter nonfeasance,” the former Department of Homeland Security official Juliette Kayyem has argued in The Atlantic. “Four months of stay-at-home orders have proved that, if schools are unavailable, a city cannot work, a community cannot function, a nation cannot safeguard itself.”

International comparisons are enlightening. Countries that successfully countered the virus seem to have enjoyed better financial recoveries; countries that did not shut down saw major hits to their economy anyway. In Sweden, authorities declined to enact strict public-health measures as the virus took hold. It has seen significantly higher case counts and more deaths than its neighbors, such as Norway, and its economy tanked. Or consider South Korea. With aggressive contact tracing and mass testing, it kept many of its commercial and educational facilities open as it quashed the pandemic. (The country has tallied just 288 deaths from COVID-19, compared with roughly 135,000 in the United States.) The unemployment rate there is 4.2 percent, and the economy is expected to contract just a small amount this year, due in part to falling exports.

In New Zealand, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern did a “little dance” to celebrate the country’s reopening one full month ago. In Taiwan, thousands of fans cheered from the stands at a baseball game last week, unafraid of disease. In France, one of the hardest-hit countries in Europe, families are back to going on vacation, eating in cafés, and visiting loved ones in hospitals. In the United States, outbreaks are shutting everything down yet again.

The United States can still contain the spread of COVID-19 and save lives, epidemiologists argue. The country can still flatten the curve and lower the death toll. Simple, low-cost measures like requiring masks in public would preserve as much as 5 percent of GDP, economists haveestimated, as well as preventing thousands from getting sick. The supposed trade-off between public health and the economy doesn’t exist. And right now, the country is choosing not to save either.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/the-terrifying-next-phase-of-the-coronavirus-recession/ar-BB16KRlD

3 hours ago, Hawkfan said:

My proposed Idea is to send the kids back to school. But Betsy Devos has presented the perfect option of having school choice, so if you are willing to send your child to school, do it. And if not, use a different option you find appropriate.  Common sense.  Be American, do what's best for your family and don't oppress others with communist democrat ideas.

I think it is funny you put "common sense" and that description of "communist" in the same paragraph.  I think you might need to research one or both of them, especially with our propaganda controlling President that we have now fitting the description of a fascist.

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

My proposed Idea is to let people drive drunk. But Betsy Devos has presented the perfect option of having drunk driving choice, so if you are willing to drive drunk, do it. And if not, use a different option you find appropriate.  Common sense.  Be American, do what's best for your family and don't oppress others with communist democrat ideas.

And they will only kill like 0.02% of kids, so it is cool!

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Dude.  Not sure wishing death on other people is a good way to demonstrate that you "give a fuck about people".

Isn't that exactly what he's doing?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hawkfan said:

Most people agree with Betsy Devos, partisanship aside. She has been a great advocate for improvement in our education system.  

No.  Not even close.  She is the enemy of public education and is only trying to drain public sector funds to the corporate schooling arena.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hawkfan said:

Yes, there is a demand for restaurants to be open, there is a demand for schools to be open, demand for air travel, but it can't be met due to unnecessary restrictions (the uneducated would call them protections). I believe there is definitely some cause for concern when you see the Government trying to "protect" us so much.  If you think them doling out money to citizens is a good thing, that's fine, but I can't believe that is a good strategy.

I think someone should open a nuclear waste dump next to your house and see how quickly you turn into a "communist".

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think someone should open a nuclear waste dump next to your house and see how quickly you turn into a "communist".

Covid protections are the nuclear waste, it's already happening.  But I'll keep fighting, I expect others will too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hawkfan said:

Covid protections are the nuclear waste, it's already happening.  But I'll keep fighting, I expect others will too.

I have to laugh at people who think like this.  All of the science and  common sense in the world can't stop a good cult leader from marching people into danger.

Another good episode of TWiV

Michael Mina of Harvard comes on to discuss the idea of using cheap, quick, less accurate tests but at a much higher volume to test everyone regularly (as frequently as daily). The current PCR tests are very sensitive and very specific-they can detect the virus at very low levels and be highly confident in the results, limiting false positives.

This is fantastic, but these are the "cadillac" of COVID tests and we're seeing big and growing backlogs. Over a week now from Quest/LabCorp, and not enough people getting tested anyway. 

He defends the Abbott ID NOW tests that were touted early but then found to have low sensitivity on the grounds that we don't actually need to detect virus at super low levels. At higher viral loads, they're perfectly fine. It's at the detection limits that they're marginal. If everyone could have a research-grade PCR test frequently, that'd be great! But we're not there, maybe can never be there, and it'd be hugely expensive. So use the less-sensitive tests on everyone over and over and over again, and you're going to be able to catch true spread much more accurately and, importantly, very quickly. He estimates you could get the tests down to $1/test pretty easily with huge production numbers.

If we were testing every student and teacher every day, heck even every few days, we could instantly smother outbreaks.

Edited by StrangeSox

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have to laugh at people who think like this.  All of the science and  common sense in the world can't stop a good cult leader from marching people into danger.

Exactly, finally someone who agrees with me.

• Haha 1

Canada, UK and US allege Russian cyber attacks on Covid 19 research centers. I guess if Putin denies it, it will be considered fake news.

Unless they're messing with the data, not sure why I should care. Make all COVID data fully publicly available to every researcher everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Hawkfan said:

Exactly, finally someone who agrees with me.

Yes, wearing masks is going to kill people.  Do you realize how absurd you sound.

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes, wearing masks is going to kill people.  Do you realize how absurd you sound.

Who said that?

• Haha 1

The mask is just the flag you wave that says I'm willing to watch people die while I do nothing but ask for more porridge.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hawkfan said:

My proposed Idea is to send the kids back to school. But Betsy Devos has presented the perfect option of having school choice, so if you are willing to send your child to school, do it. And if not, use a different option you find appropriate.  Common sense.  Be American, do what's best for your family and don't oppress others with communist democrat ideas.

What is communist about Democratic ideas? Why is Devos in the position she is in? Why does she mention school choice instead of finding solutions during a pandemic?

16 minutes ago, Hawkfan said:

The mask is just the flag you wave that says I'm willing to watch people die while I do nothing but ask for more porridge.

You are telling people that their lives just aren't important, and you are perfectly willing to kill someone to prove it.