COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Haha Ok.  I said something silly I guess, but at least I didn't compare this to a pandemic which literally killed 3% of the people on the planet, destroying nearly as much life as all of WWII.

In my opinion, if you think the US hasn't done anything right, you're a partisan hack that will believe anything the democrats tell you.

If you don't think the US has done anything wrong, you're a partisan hack that will believe anything the republicans tell you.

O'Hare was a mess.  And obviously should have been better prepared.  With the travel ban, there was sure to be a rush of people trying to get in.  The lack of preparation is ridiculous.

Let me guess, you are one of the clowns sharing the Obama H1N1 thing because it has to be his fault?

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

complete failure of leadership at every level.  This is overboard and will do more harm than good.  It's one thing to shut down public venues and gathering spaces.  It's another to tell someone they can't go get their car fixed or get a cup of coffee to go.

Again, this is not an overreaction. There is a 7-10 day incubation period with this thing where people are contagious and don't even know they're sick. 

I'm to the point that city governments need to start assigning shopping/banking hours to neighborhoods and that nobody go shopping outside a 5-10 mile radius in urban areas. 

If anything, this isn't going far enough. 

I thought of going out today to deliver food to people, but even with social distancing, coming into contact with that many young people who without sick leave that puts me and my family at risk. I don't have to do it for my livelihood, so I won't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

blow it out your ass. The Dems focused all of their energy on the impeachment farse for ALL of January and first week of Feb while the country could've been focused on this Chinese contravirus. Instead they called him racist for his Jan 31 ban on China and possibly avoiding a Europe-like meltdown.

Thankfully JB is manning up as a gov and taking initiative instead of spending his entire time blaming Trump.

Believe it or not but Trump is not a dictator... It's the states role to lead the charge over it's population. Why didn't any states act when Trump closed travel from China? ...oh right, hindsight is 20/20

Time for all of us to start living in the now that's grounded in reality instead of blaming others.

Meanwhile the clown in the White House was telling us it was a Democratic hoax, and that it would go away in April when it got warm outside.  It is impressive how the  Dems could simultaneously do nothing and create a panic all at once.  Those guys are talented.  I am also a big fan of you telling people not to blame others, while filling a post full of blame for everyone but the leader of the free world.  But then again he told you guys he takes no responsibility for it, so you all march off to do his bidding for him.

• Like 3

Just now, turnin' two said:

No, I think blaming a pandemic on a person is stupid.  

No one blames him for the pandemic.  People blame him for the RESPONSE to the pandemic, which is quite literally his job as leader of the free world.  He didn't take it seriously until he ran him over.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No one blames him for the pandemic.  People blame him for the RESPONSE to the pandemic, which is quite literally his job as leader of the free world.  He didn't take it seriously until he ran him over.

And the administration was warned about this exact scenario by the previous administration. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I pretty much said that...

With that said, we should have been better prepared.

Obviously there have been mistakes, and everything he has said needs to be basically ignored

The testing here hasn't been acceptable.  Especially with the time available

On 3/15/2020 at 1:00 PM, Dick Allen said:

Not nearly as what Prizter was calling out the feds on last night which you seem to think he was out of line doing.

Plus with as many people working from home as there is now, chances are you won’t have the huge rushes at certain time periods you do as normal primaries, plus it’s a primary, a ton of voters sit those out.

I wonder how many incumbents get voted out with poor turnout?

11 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Expect a big announcement from the top soon, per my sources. All I can say is make sure you have food.

Like what? raBBit made me nervous in the other thread about job loss and I can only stockpile two weeks of food if I am lucky. I can’t find paper products anywhere either.

I think I might have already had it. In the afternoon of 3/1, I started feeling nauseous with a terrible headache, body aches and weakness while running a 101.6 temperature. I was confined to bed for 3 days. First 36 hours temp held around 101.5, the next 36 hours it held around 100. Terrible cough for two nights that literally prevented me from sleeping. Probably got about 4 or 5 hours of sleep both nights.

Went to the doctor 2 days after the fever started. He said it was likely norovirus because someone in my family had it a day earlier but their symptoms lasted only 24 hours and they were vomiting. I didn’t vomit or shit during the 3 days I had a fever, just bad sharp stomach pains. In fact, I was constipated and didn’t shit until after the fever broke.

The doctor didn’t even bother checking for influenza because I had just seen him 2 weeks prior with flu. He was concerned though because he sent me to a hospital for a CT scan of the stomach (to rule out appendicitis) and a chest x-ray (to rule out pneumonia). Both came back fine as well as my blood work.

I just don’t think my symptoms were consistent with norovirus. I’ve had that several times before and it was always a 24 hour thing. And never had the terrible headache or cough.

The other thing that was odd were the night sweats. Woke up in the middle of the night two of the nights completely drenched. Like I had just went out for a 5 mile run. I kept thinking it was because my fever finally broke but, no, it was still holding at ~100.

If that was stomach flu or regular influenza it was unlike anything I’ve ever had before. The flu I had in mid- February was nowhere near as bad as this. Still have a slight nagging cough but for the most part it is going away now two weeks later.

• Like 1

This virus isn't jack shit for most healthy Americans.  My god can you imagine if it wasn't?  This is a dry run for a real nightmare.  Might be a blessing that way.

Still shaking my head that Dr. Birx called on "millenials" to fix this today and asked us to stop going to bars.  Hey, Doc, we aren't Gen Z!  We are mostly 30 somethings now!  We sure as shit ain't on IG licking toilet bowls for the "#coronaviruschallenge"  That's on Gen Z. You know all those kids that were partying it up this weekend in Boston, NYC and elsewhere for St Patty's day.   You think 30 somethings are out doing that?

Well maybe you do since you're 63 yourself.

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Cualfield linked to a great article and could fill in some details.

But isn’t it safe to assume that for close to TWO months, non-stop international flights in and out of Wuhan?  

We didn’t stop flights until around January 23rd...when the city and eventually 60+ million in the province (similar to Italy) was locked down.

One of the biggest problems is/was the proximity of wild animal wet market....just hundreds of meters from Hankou Train Station, which was putting all those carriers on trains across China for roughly 6-8 weeks.

Out of a population of roughly 11 million, 5 million left the city during that time frame (largely workers from other regions of China returning for Chinese New Year’s holiday and university students, we have two million here.) 

6 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

It's really not that tough to read between the lines -- we're going to go into a full quarantine in the next 10 days max, likely by weekend. Everything outside of essentials will be shut down. However these rushes to the grocery store and for water really aren't necessary. We're not going to be left without food to die. You'll be able to go to the store - but it will be regulated to how many people can enter a store at a time. Also this water craze is weird. We live wtih a clean water supply from lake Michigan. 

I also think the stock market is going to shut down relatively soon. 

Everybody just needs to do their part. There will be helicopter money distributed to families to help. There will likely be some sort of forgiveness or suspension of mortgages, etc. They aren't going to foreclose or put us on the streets. Just make sure you have an ample, but not overload of food if that makes you feel safe and secure. Buy some books or rent some on a kindle. And connect with your family. Most importantly take this time to build and form relationships. Find the positives in a bad time. 

These times make me feel like it really pays to be in a position that is essential, like a trade, health care, in particular nursing, or in a public service.

I feel non essential working in insurance, which is why I’m glad I’m leaving my company if people are hiring this summer, since my graduate degree will be paid for. Now I just hope we don’t get restricted anymore out using our work computer outside business hours so I can finish my project and class work by next Friday. I know, I should have a computer of my own but I did the rest of my grad degree on my computer without any issue and then this comes along.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/economy/job-losses-coronavirus/index.html

More than half of US jobs at risk

Nearly 80 million jobs in the US economy are at high or moderate risk today, according to analysis in the last week from Moody's Analytics. That's more than half of the 153 million jobs in the economy overall.

That doesn't mean that all those jobs will be lost. But it's probable that as many as 10 million of those workers could see some impact to their paychecks -- either layoffs, furloughs, fewer hours or wage cuts, said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics.

Of those 80 million jobs, Moody's Analytics projects that 27 million are at high risk due to the virus, primarily in transportation and travel, leisure and hospitality, temporary help services and oil drilling and extraction. Maybe 20% of those workers, comprising about 5 million jobs, will be affected, Zandi said. 

The other 52 million jobs are judged to face "moderate risk." They are in areas such as retail, manufacturing, construction and education. Some 5 million of those workers are could be unemployed or underemployed.

Andrew Yang was years ahead of his time...unfortunately, we can’t start a worker retraining program in-person yet, but the framework can be created with online classes and personalized counseling.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, turnin' two said:

Obviously there have been mistakes, and everything he has said needs to be basically ignored, but the Trump administration hasn't failed on all fronts.  He got a lot of crap, being called racist and xenophobic (about standard) when he blocked travel to China.  Which was absolutely the right move in retrospect.  Same thing with Europe.  He was called all sorts of names, and criticized for not blocking the UK and Ireland, where there were far fewer cases.  Their cases spiked the next day and they were added to the ban.  Those have all been, while unpopular, I believe, the right moves for containing this and slowing the spread across the US.  

Also, not all the failures can be put on Trump, state level leadership has responsibility here as well. 

With that said, we should have been better prepared.  We saw what happened in China.  But many (myself included) didn't believe it was that big of a deal.  Many, also rightly, didn't trust any of the information coming out of China.  Then South Korea and Japan seemed to have much milder results than Japan did.  That made it easy to say this was overhyped.  Then came Italy.  Italy is the warning the world can believe.  I can almost forgive and forget any opinions expressed about Corona before Italy happened.  The testing here hasn't been acceptable.  Especially with the time available.  Since the middle of last week, I think the US has been on top of stuff, being very aggressive in terms of trying to cut this thing off.  It hasn't all been federal, but it shouldn't be either.  The states have broad powers to combat this sort of thing.  It is ignorant and simple minded to just say "blame Trump" for all of this.  

I can only imagine how things will be if climate change is severe as the doomsday scenario in my head or how I perceive things playing it out make it to be.

50 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Do I need to remind you mods that political talk isn't allowed? Get it together!

It’s all germane to the discussion and this doesn’t rise to the level of discussion that the Filibuster had. Let it play out.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes, something like 50% of the cases are asymptomatic or nearly so, and they're not getting tested. But Italy has 25000 confirmed cases and is getting 400 bodies a day as a consequence. If people are telling me that Ohio alone has 4x that many cases, even with demographic changes, where are the thousand bodies a day from Ohio?

Could likely be the two different strains....what are being defined as L and S, one more deadly (3-5%), one much more contagious, less deadly (0.5-1.5%?).  My guess is Wuhan and China sent more directly to Italy...because of our connections through fashion/textiles, travel/tourism, car manufacturing, education, etc.

Italy also has more multi generation families stuck all together in one house or apartment...like here in China.  US has that major advantage, at least.

Seems in the US we’re running at 1.6-2.0% mortality rate, but who really knows?  Not the CDC or HHS.

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2020/3/5/21166249/coronavirus-outbreak-second-strain-l-s

Edited by caulfield12

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/economy/job-losses-coronavirus/index.html

More than half of US jobs at risk

Nearly 80 million jobs in the US economy are at high or moderate risk today, according to analysis in the last week from Moody's Analytics. That's more than half of the 153 million jobs in the economy overall.

That doesn't mean that all those jobs will be lost. But it's probable that as many as 10 million of those workers could see some impact to their paychecks -- either layoffs, furloughs, fewer hours or wage cuts, said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics.

Of those 80 million jobs, Moody's Analytics projects that 27 million are at high risk due to the virus, primarily in transportation and travel, leisure and hospitality, temporary help services and oil drilling and extraction. Maybe 20% of those workers, comprising about 5 million jobs, will be affected, Zandi said. 

The other 52 million jobs are judged to face "moderate risk." They are in areas such as retail, manufacturing, construction and education. Some 5 million of those workers are could be unemployed or underemployed.

Andrew Yang was years ahead of his time...unfortunately, we can’t start a worker retraining program in-person yet, but the framework can be created with online classes and personalized counseling.

Another thought I had on my run today is what will the world be like when there is automation and there is severe job loss? Worse than this? Will I have to retrain and hope to God I can raise a family and become a nurse or get into informatics at the same time or try being a developer (if my current pursuit of something data related doesn’t work out and I want to get into something “essential”)?

Edited by The Beast

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Another thought I had on my run today is what will the world be like when there is automation and there is severe job loss? Worse than this? Will I have to retrain and hope to God I can raise a family and become a nurse or get into informatics at the same time (if my current pursuit of something data related doesn’t work out and I want to get into something “essential”)?

That’s the bizarre thing about being a parent today.

I’m 50 and have been teaching for about twenty years and see doing it for about five more years...online classes can certainly replace in person, and advising students on their university essays can be done from anywhere.

But my son just turned five (no part or cake or gifts in middle of quarantine)...and I have no idea if STEM is the obvious path for him, particularly computer science and AI/data & quantitative analysis.   Part of me believes a return to classics education...critical thinking, innovation, creativity...is key, which is essentially STEAM, arts/creativity combined with Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.   Let’s say you are an architect.  You can give the computer parameters for a design...it spits out 1000 possibilities, but the human brings value-added perspective to choose and enhance/improve upon the computer choices.  

Collaboration/cooperation, in other words.  Don’t train for any career that can be wiped out in the next 10-15 years by AI/quantum computing. 

No easy answers.  I’d suggest reading Homo Deus...if you have free time for reading coming up.   Another I’ve been reading recently is the Three Body Problem trilogy.

• Like 1