COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

8 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Everyone is being tested twice a week I think?

Right I think every 3 days.

We are finally capable of entering a stage of mass, rapid testing. Between what U of I has done, Yale/NBA and now Abbott, we have multiple ways to rapid saliva test cheaply on existing technology.

This is once again where I'll state that a functioning federal government could actually get us to a point of using this much faster. At the bare minimum, though much cheaper ($5-%10/test compared to $100) it is still costly on businesses/gov'ts already hit hard. That funding relief needs to happen.

And, maybe not having a CDC advise that testing isn't necessary if you've come into contact with a COVID-19 pos person right before we are able to test more reliably.

And there is so much more to help all of the individual actors get the knowledge and resources they need to have it so American's can be reliably tested through their work/school/place of worship that likely will not happen, and when some of those actors don't do as good of a job, people will blame them rather than the absence of a fed government. 

Incredibly frustrating. 

2 hours ago, bmags said:

We are finally capable of entering a stage of mass, rapid testing. Between what U of I has done, Yale/NBA and now Abbott, we have multiple ways to rapid saliva test cheaply on existing technology.

This is once again where I'll state that a functioning federal government could actually get us to a point of using this much faster. At the bare minimum, though much cheaper ($5-%10/test compared to $100) it is still costly on businesses/gov'ts already hit hard. That funding relief needs to happen.

And, maybe not having a CDC advise that testing isn't necessary if you've come into contact with a COVID-19 pos person right before we are able to test more reliably.

And there is so much more to help all of the individual actors get the knowledge and resources they need to have it so American's can be reliably tested through their work/school/place of worship that likely will not happen, and when some of those actors don't do as good of a job, people will blame them rather than the absence of a fed government. 

Incredibly frustrating. 

It’s only a couple days of on campus data since the school hasn’t updated recently but the fact that the positivity rate is going up a lot and not down in the subsequent rounds of tests seems to potentially suggest that testing that often isn’t yet doing much to limit its ability to spread. Will see if that holds in future rounds.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Incredibly frustrating. 

Something I heard the other day is that while the marginal cost of those tests may be $10, the total cost could be say $50-100 per test depending on how much new equipment you need to buy upfront. A big thing too is how heavily they can be automated. If it's a lot of manual work, the labor costs add up and can become bottlenecks as you try to really scale up.

Multiple medical organizations have come out against the CDC's new guidance. Well, really, it was the White House Coronavirus taskforce absent Dr. Fauci that pushed this new guidance on the CDC rather than any scientific experts. The entire plan now is to insist that this is all in the past, we don't need testing, we don't need relief, we don't need PPE. Shut up and get back to work/school, we don't care how many of you suffer or die.

e: relevant UIUC testing volume:

This is one (albeit large) state university, and just them doing the minimum amount of testing to *possibly* safely reopen is accounting for a decent amount of our entire national testing. If just the flagship university of every state did the same amount of testing, we'd more than double our current national testing capacity.

Edited by StrangeSox

48 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Something I heard the other day is that while the marginal cost of those tests may be $10, the total cost could be say $50-100 per test depending on how much new equipment you need to buy upfront. A big thing too is how heavily they can be automated. If it's a lot of manual work, the labor costs add up and can become bottlenecks as you try to really scale up.

Multiple medical organizations have come out against the CDC's new guidance. Well, really, it was the White House Coronavirus taskforce absent Dr. Fauci that pushed this new guidance on the CDC rather than any scientific experts. The entire plan now is to insist that this is all in the past, we don't need testing, we don't need relief, we don't need PPE. Shut up and get back to work/school, we don't care how many of you suffer or die.

This is one (albeit large) state university, and just them doing the minimum amount of testing to *possibly* safely reopen is accounting for a decent amount of our entire national testing. If just the flagship university of every state did the same amount of testing, we'd more than double our current national testing capacity.

and I'm guessing that means the Illinois testing numbers are mainly just reflecting massive testing in champaign. At least will/st louis metro snapped back.

I was hoing for scale that there would be enough local hospitals/clinics that had equipment that could be used (my local doc office has blood/urine testing on site) that there could be partnerships created. Especially could be helpful to the local GPs who have been hurt during covid. But yeah, again, the ability of the USG to help in scale, even if clunky, is a massive missing piece and it's just hard to follow this stuff at this point because the individual actors have taken this about as far as they can go, but when a good idea comes about it doesn't have the resource to push it out nationally so what's the point in getting excited about a breakthrough?

17 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

https://go.illinois.edu/COVIDTestingData

Looks like they're currently in the 50-100 new cases a day area for the last week, eyeballing it about 300-400 cases in the last 7 days, with some people having been tested more than once??

I'm not sure we know yet since that dashboard only has data loaded to the 24th and that's when classes started in earnest.

57 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

And this is exactly how you know the federal government doesn't care about you living or dying.  It is taking outside organizations pushing for testing to create meaningful numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

and I'm guessing that means the Illinois testing numbers are mainly just reflecting massive testing in champaign. At least will/st louis metro snapped back.

I was hoing for scale that there would be enough local hospitals/clinics that had equipment that could be used (my local doc office has blood/urine testing on site) that there could be partnerships created. Especially could be helpful to the local GPs who have been hurt during covid. But yeah, again, the ability of the USG to help in scale, even if clunky, is a massive missing piece and it's just hard to follow this stuff at this point because the individual actors have taken this about as far as they can go, but when a good idea comes about it doesn't have the resource to push it out nationally so what's the point in getting excited about a breakthrough?

At least here, the state numbers currently do not include virtually any of the positive students because they’re being handled internally rather than passed along to the local health department.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At least here, the state numbers currently do not include virtually any of the positive students because they’re being handled internally rather than passed along to the local health department.

That's what I was hoping. I was confused by the person stating their testing represented 13% of the national testing assuming that meant they were including it in those numbers. I'd hope IL keeps testing to their public/private venture and at least separate out U of I.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

That's what I was hoping. I was confused by the person stating their testing represented 13% of the national testing assuming that meant they were including it in those numbers. I'd hope IL keeps testing to their public/private venture and at least separate out U of I.

Well, think about the other side - the more cases you can avoid counting, the more your numbers look to be on the downslope state-wide. 

KU has 10 sororities and fraternities under quarantine. Not everybody is stuck in there 14 days; it's a complicated quarantine. But KU has had the predictable ton of cases since the students reported a week ago. Douglas County recommends no contact sports as we move into a yellow zone from green which means the two high schools have their openers canceled.

But KU keeps practicing.

On 8/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, greg775 said:

KU has 10 sororities and fraternities under quarantine. Not everybody is stuck in there 14 days; it's a complicated quarantine. But KU has had the predictable ton of cases since the students reported a week ago. Douglas County recommends no contact sports as we move into a yellow zone from green which means the two high schools have their openers canceled.

But KU keeps practicing.

Next thing you know, the dictators will close the barbershops.

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

1% of the school is getting it per week. Statistically they’ve almost certainly killed a student already, potentially several.

Never mind, the 481 cases were Tuesday to Thursday alone. 1% of the campus tested positive in 3 days. 1200 students and 180 staff.

Northern Illinois has a good solid outbreak now. The “report once a week and bury it on a weekend” strategy is holding for these schools so far.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/clarissajanlim/university-of-alabama-students-coronavirus

On 8/28/2020 at 7:43 AM, Middle Buffalo said:

Will the KU frats and sororities be allowed to go to church on Sunday?

You guys are so wild observing greg's posts. I call you all greg observers. I feel fortunate my words are recalled by many. (p.s. church update: My 5 p.m. Sunday Mass in a very big church has yet to have more than 25 attendees. Masks, sanitizer, etc., no more than 3 in a pew.  It's been rather sad actually. No music. 45 minute limit on the Mass, usually ends in 35). Compared to many Americans, my Covid behavior has been stellar and I continue to pray none of us get it, including me, knock on wood.

Edited by greg775

22 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Next thing you know, the dictators will close the barbershops.

I went 3.5 months without a haircut while obeying all government orders regarding the shutdown, distancing, etc. (Normally I get it cut every 4 weeks).  I moaned on here a lot about how long my hair was and how it was driving me very crazy. I didn't have anybody to cut it. We're in an era where people care allegedly about mental health issues of our citizens. And yet I hear about this desire of mine to get a haircut amid covid again and again. BTW last time I got a haircut, my barber Rockie's shop still was social distanced with Rockie having just 2 or 3 barbers in a big building in there at one time (they trade hours around so the 10 of them aren't in there more than 2-3 at a time); customers can't come out of their cars til it's time to get in the chair. He's a perfect owner in terms of sanitary compliance. Meanwhile not a peep about the thousands of people marching every single night amid Covid.

And still I get grief for my barbershop angst/take. Meanwhile, the governor sits back and lets KU open with the predictable spike in corona hitting town. What did I miss here. Greg is not the enemy to Kansas/America.

Edited by greg775

Well G7 ol' Tex is here to help. You probably don't realize this but you are almost always contrary to the rest of the board or have a spin on life that none of us had considered. In doing that, you've become bigger than just one poster, you've come to represent everyone who yearns for a well groomed hairline. You represent everyone who wants to send up their voices singing those spirituals to heaven. You are the face of a movement that must be heard because we are all Kansas/Americans! We need you G7. Your posts are instantly recognizable. And yes, we do think about you. I thought about you just this morning and seriously came in this thread to mention that https://mrdavis.com/most-comfortable-cloth-mask/ has extra-large masks that might fit you. I bought a couple extra large and they are just a bit too big for me, yet the large are just a bit too small. I'm stuck in the middle. I've been wearing their masks almost exclusively for the past month and recommend them. 

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 9:41 PM, greg775 said:

I went 3.5 months without a haircut while obeying all government orders regarding the shutdown, distancing, etc. (Normally I get it cut every 4 weeks).  I moaned on here a lot about how long my hair was and how it was driving me very crazy. I didn't have anybody to cut it. We're in an era where people care allegedly about mental health issues of our citizens. And yet I hear about this desire of mine to get a haircut amid covid again and again. BTW last time I got a haircut, my barber Rockie's shop still was social distanced with Rockie having just 2 or 3 barbers in a big building in there at one time (they trade hours around so the 10 of them aren't in there more than 2-3 at a time); customers can't come out of their cars til it's time to get in the chair. He's a perfect owner in terms of sanitary compliance. Meanwhile not a peep about the thousands of people marching every single night amid Covid.

And still I get grief for my barbershop angst/take. Meanwhile, the governor sits back and lets KU open with the predictable spike in corona hitting town. What did I miss here. Greg is not the enemy to Kansas/America.

Have you stopped to think maybe it's the way you phrase things?

It's okay to be skeptical and change your mind and go back and forth, etc. etc. as information comes in. I've done that several times changing my mind. But to gripe about a haircut is pretty childish. Buy some scissors, find a mirror, watch a YouTube video and have a day. I've cut my hair my whole life, never been to a barber - it's really not difficult to do. 

1 hour ago, BrianAnderson said:

Have you stopped to think maybe it's the way you phrase things?

It's okay to be skeptical and change your mind and go back and forth, etc. etc. as information comes in. I've done that several times changing my mind. But to gripe about a haircut is pretty childish. Buy some scissors, find a mirror, watch a YouTube video and have a day. I've cut my hair my whole life, never been to a barber - it's really not difficult to do. 

Pics or it looks like shit

• Haha 1

Will be interesting to see this weeks U of I results which will probably come in on Friday. So far it looks like R is about 1...a little disappointing given mass testing but we'll see what mid September looks like.